REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 04-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #1651
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Well, my restricted and unrestricted papers are in the mail. So does this mean in about 6mo I need to start planning like a prepper?

Got 'em both for fun and another hobby. For long guns, I'm simply going to start with my Grandfather's collection as I'm the only family member who will be licensed. Anyone have some suggestions for a first handgun? I've used a few in the USA, but limited use. Out of the ones I've tried I liked the Sig Sauer P226. Can buy it in .22RL, and add a 9mm barrel/magazines to it to give it some versatility and cheap ammo.
Advertisement
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #1652
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
It's sad to see our options taken away. But let's face it. There are a lot of shitheaded gun nuts. The number of ignorant rednecks shooting up Stave lake has increased over the years, and the respect for the land has decreased. With all the ink lately about environmental impact of garbage and lead left in these areas, it was inevitable. I blame the SKS/12 guage crowd. Steel rounds and plastic shells have no value other than social responsibility to clean them up. And let's face it, a lot of these guys have no responsibility.

I like you guys a lot. There are some cool gun folks in this thread. Guys who are intelligent and respectful. Guys who I would go out to the bush to shoot with. But I also know a lot of idiots who own guns. This is why I have a hard time supporting the gun lobby as a whole. It's the same reason why I'm against conceal/carry laws. I love holstering when I'm at the range. But having some dumbass sweep the whole club as he cross holsters makes me realize that we are our own worst enemies.

I agree - but if you look at the conditions, I think most of the off-limit areas are 400m from the roads, so you will just push more of those idiots into the bushes, where it isn't so obvious if there are other users in the vicinity. I can see Squamish back roads becoming a gong show soon.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #1653

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
Well, my restricted and unrestricted papers are in the mail. So does this mean in about 6mo I need to start planning like a prepper?

Got 'em both for fun and another hobby. For long guns, I'm simply going to start with my Grandfather's collection as I'm the only family member who will be licensed. Anyone have some suggestions for a first handgun? I've used a few in the USA, but limited use. Out of the ones I've tried I liked the Sig Sauer P226. Can buy it in .22RL, and add a 9mm barrel/magazines to it to give it some versatility and cheap ammo.
Hand guns are totally personal in my opinion. What one person likes the looks and grip of, another wouldn't like it at all. For example, I am not a 9mm fan - I like big calibres and big bangs. I only shot .357 revolvers for years and just recently got a few .45ACP 1911s.

I have heard many people like their Sig P226s, and I also hear many people liking their CZ Shadows in 9mm. As for a .22LR pistol - most people that have conversion kits never use them; they start off with the intent of swapping out barrels and mags, but inevitably most shooters buy a specific .22LR pistol.

For a .22LR I read a lot of info before buying, then tried and liked the grip of the Ruger MKIII Hunter, so I bought one of those as they have a good reputation for being accurate and there are a lot of aftermarket parts available. I swapped out all the internals to Volquartsen parts and it now has a 1.25# trigger with no creep and shoots like a laser beam; everyone that tries it loves it. I also have an old Colt semi-auto that I rarely shoot as the trigger sucks.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #1654
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i loved the FN Five-seven when i was in washington shooting with an american friend of mine.. but they are just soooo damn expensive up here lol.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:16 AM   #1655
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
just got my PAL!! getting my restricted on wednesday! woohoo!
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #1656
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Awesome!
My buddy was telling me that there are some good ranges in the Kamloops area. The backcountry shooting is supposed to be really good too.

Enjoy!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #1657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
just got my PAL!! getting my restricted on wednesday! woohoo!
And so it begins....if you thought car mods added up, you haven't seen anything yet. Hopefully you like the sport - I'm hooked.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #1658
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i got my pal while i was in kamloops for work back in december

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #1659
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
I blame the SKS/12 guage crowd.

I own an SKS and a 12 guage. I know what you mean though

Quote:
There are a lot of shitheaded gun nuts.
Unfortunately yes. After a big cleanup at the unofficial range north of Kelowna someone made a nice wooden sign asking people to please clean up their garbage and nailed it up a tree. Within a couple weeks some dipshit had shot it, and with the location of the sign there's no way to hit it and have a safe backdrop unless you climbed way up a tree. I love shooting, but like most things I have no interest it being near other people.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #1660
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Awesome!
My buddy was telling me that there are some good ranges in the Kamloops area. The backcountry shooting is supposed to be really good too.

Enjoy!
Oh ya. Lots of my buddies head into the woods. Lots of great shooting out here
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #1661
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
so i was given this shotgun, it has no barrel however and there isnt much for marking. Was told it might be a winchester but hard to tell.. is it even worth trying to track down a barrel for it?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
so i was given this shotgun, it has no barrel however and there isnt much for marking. Was told it might be a winchester but hard to tell.. is it even worth trying to track down a barrel for it?

The hand guard looks like an old Ithaca 37, and the engraving is similar to other Ithacas, though I don't know too much about older Winchesters. If it is an Ithaca, based on the serial number puts it at 1960. Cheap shotguns but work well. Ithaca Gun Serial Numbers

These old 37's can slam fire; meaning if you pull the trigger and hold the trigger down, as you pump it will fire without having to release the trigger. They were designed like this to 'clear the trenches'.

I like these old Ithacas and you might be able to find a cheap barrel, but it may take some time. In poor condition they sell for $250 and in good condition up to $500 - but usually they are not in good condition. I have always wanted a 37 and am waiting for the right one to come along.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #1663

so it would be moreso a wait and see type deal as opposed to hunting one down probably?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #1664

Quote:
so it would be moreso a wait and see type deal as opposed to hunting one down probably?
Are you asking me about wanting one, or you finding a barrel? For me, it is low priority - I have enough shotguns that see little use. If the right deal came along, I'd consider it.

I have been looking up other Ithacas - and that is indeed what yours is, not a Winchester.

Here is a pic of another one in better shape:

This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #1665

sorry, meant for me in terms of getting a barrel. Probably wont be somthing that i'll find until it just pops up for sale etc?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #1666

Quote:
sorry, meant for me in terms of getting a barrel. Probably wont be somthing that i'll find until it just pops up for sale etc?
Start putting the feelers out there with different shops and gunsmiths. If you come across one, buy it. I passed on a barrel for one of my old rifles and kinda wished I hadn't.

Are you on CGN? I looked up Ithacas on that forum and there were a few, some "rare" overpriced models, some at $500 and not selling, another at $350 and not selling. Perhaps a WTB ad will shake a barrel loose?

Part of the gun buying process is patience, and I kind of like that aspect of the sport. However, it also involves getting what you can when you can up here in Canada, as availability is limited.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #1667

perfect, thanks for the help, i plan on refinishing it if i can find a barrel, it's kinda scratched up but would be a decent little project
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #1668

It will be a great project as it will not hurt any value whatsoever and these are easy guns to work with. You don't need to wait for the barrel if you are going to reblue the action, just make sure you keep some of the same bluing product. In the meantime, you can strip and refurbish the wood. The rear butt stock may not be easy to unscrew, so be prepared to soak the bolt a bit.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #1669

what can i do for the screws in terms of new ones? some of are kinda turned/stripped, still easy enough to get out but ugly to replace with..

just a matter of finding the same bolt/threads?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #1670
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
These old 37's can slam fire; meaning if you pull the trigger and hold the trigger down, as you pump it will fire without having to release the trigger. They were designed like this to 'clear the trenches'.
fuken eh!

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #1671

Quote:
what can i do for the screws in terms of new ones? some of are kinda turned/stripped, still easy enough to get out but ugly to replace with..

just a matter of finding the same bolt/threads?
I would try to clean them up with a wire wheel and some elbow grease, they may be hard to find. Western Gun Parts in Edmonton is the best place for old gun parts, though I don't know if they have Ithaca parts. I would try contacting them and also ask about a barrel - who knows?

Just an FYI - WGP guys on the phone are kind of grumpy and sometimes they try to tell you to order through a shop. Just be polite, be prepared with the serial number and info, and see what they tell you. Minimum order of $35 with them.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
If you come across one, buy it.
Exactly, you can always sell it later if you find a better one, but you can't go back in time if you don't. Which is partly how my cabinet has ended up the way it has
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Exactly, you can always sell it later if you find a better one, but you can't go back in time if you don't. Which is partly how my cabinet has ended up the way it has
And that's a good thing. How's that K31 treating you?
Old 04-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #1674

Not when it's already overflowing! My PAL wasn't even a year old before the racks were full and I'm out of space for ammo.

The K31 has been great, I'd love to find another one and put a scope on it but with the way prices have been I haven't been looking too hard. Ideally I'd like to find one that's been modified or damaged already as I wouldn't be able to bring myself to modify an original one.

Realistically I should get a clamp on scope mount for the one I already have. What's a fair price for one of those?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 04-12-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #1675

I think I paid $100 for my clamp mount - it works well. You get used to the scope on the side, but it uses 11mm rings (.22 rings), so make sure you don't cheap out there. I bought Burris signature rings and shimmed it over a bit.

The scope mounts that replace the rear blade (at CSC) look silly because they are so damn high - you would need to add a cheek riser. The side mount still lets you use your irons at the 100m setting.
This post thanked by: