REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #526
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Double the property tax!

If you can afford a 1.5 million dump in East Van you can afford the higher taxes
Advertisement
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #527
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Instead of more taxes to the public, why don't they get creative and try things like a lottery. $5 scratch and win that could win you monthly passes, fare books and of course monetary prizes.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #528
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

+1 Tapioca

Most people who take transit make under 100K, so of course they go into shock when they see translink executives salaries. That is reasonable for a company this size, and a lot cheaper compared to industry as they have no stock options.

Translink is also audited by KPMG I believe. Aside from the compass disaster, I think translink is well run given their restraints

If translink was not forced to service unprofitable routes they would be raking in profits.

Also I think Vancouver should raise its property taxes.. it is one of the cheapest in the lower mainland.

But then people will whine about that too.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #529
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/brit...cism-1.2753332

Not excessive? So its fine getting these "perks" by asking the public for more money through taxes and then what if they won the vote? Higher bonuses? No thanks. I voted for what i think its right and i'm glad it won. And btw, i take transit everyday.
I don't know if you know how much money an exec level job makes.

$500K for a CEO of a organization with an operating budget of $1.6B which runs the most effective transportation system in Canada and one of the best in North America is not an unreasonable amount.

I'm not advocating million dollar salaries but considering what I make as a middle manager in a tech company and what I know others a level or two up from me make I can't at all say these Translink guys are overpaid.

Last edited by supafamous; 07-05-2015 at 08:53 PM.
supafamous is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #530
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Audits are not the same as being held publicly held accountable to a similar level as other crown corporations such as BC Hydro and ICBC.

You expect a bunch of accountants to be able to tell you that Translink is being operated efficiently and that decisions are being made properly? All they look at are the numbers and give opinions on stretching out amortization rates.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #531
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
^ You're talking about 2 different things. Audits ensure that money is accounted for and that there are no irregularities with respect to expenditures.

In terms of efficiency and the "correct decisions", well those are up for debate. But whose should determine how efficient decisions are made? Technocrats, experts, etc who understand public transit? Or the general public who don't have the expertise, the experience, nor the resources?

You could hire an "efficiency" expert or some sort of ombudsperson, but those would cost more money and add more red tape to an already bloated public organization.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #532
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I don't know if you know how much money at exec level jobs make.

$500K for a CEO of a organization with an operating budget of $1.6B which runs the most effective transportation system in Canada and one of the best in North America is not an unreasonable amount.

I'm not advocating million dollar salaries but considering what I make as a middle manager in a tech company and what I know others a level or two up from me make I can't at all say these Translink guys are overpaid.
I offered to take on the CEO job for a piddly $60k/year, but they didn't want me. I mean sure, I have zero experience for the job, but I'm a people person and I don't hate riding the bus, and I'd be a helluva lot cheaper than even the middle management. I mean, the salary is all that matters when it comes to a CEO, right? At least that's the impression I get from threads like this - experience, skill, knowledge, none of that matters as long as you get someone cheap.

Lost out on the BC Ferries CEO position too... same issue. Stupid bean counters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #533
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
^ You're talking about 2 different things. Audits ensure that money is accounted for and that there are no irregularities with respect to expenditures.

In terms of efficiency and the "correct decisions", well those are up for debate. But whose should determine how efficient decisions are made? Technocrats, experts, etc who understand public transit? Or the general public who don't have the expertise, the experience, nor the resources?

You could hire an "efficiency" expert or some sort of ombudsperson, but those would cost more money and add more red tape to an already bloated public organization.
Totally agree with you. For BCHydro and ICBC (and perhaps even BC Ferries), there are public hearings on spending prudency as well as expansion plans - semi-judicial process with advocacy groups representing certain segments of the population (hiring experts to push their points across, etc.). it totally adds a layer of bureaucracy and added expenditures; but I think it's necessary so ensure that things are out in the open for these monopolistic crown corporations - transparency and accountability. FortisBC is also subject to the same public hearing process.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #534

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
BTW: The Mayors were right when they said that a No vote was a Yes vote for more air pollution. Gregor Robertson has way more power than we imagined, he is raining down his wrath on all of us for the No vote.

We are getting the air pollution we deserve, not the air pollution we need!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #535
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts

Riding transit is for the lowest common denominator

Seriously cannot stand the average person
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-06-2015, 12:13 AM   #536
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
and you are better than the "average person"?
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #537

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Riding transit is for the lowest common denominator

Seriously cannot stand the average person
Says the guy who rides a bike. Biking is for those who can't afford a car...

Fuckin' newb.

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
Totally agree with you. For BCHydro and ICBC (and perhaps even BC Ferries), there are public hearings on spending prudency as well as expansion plans - semi-judicial process with advocacy groups representing certain segments of the population (hiring experts to push their points across, etc.). it totally adds a layer of bureaucracy and added expenditures; but I think it's necessary so ensure that things are out in the open for these monopolistic crown corporations - transparency and accountability. FortisBC is also subject to the same public hearing process.
Public hearings are one of those ideas that is well-intended, but one that is not so great in practice. The problem is that most people don't have the interest nor time to attend one, so what you end up getting is special interest groups who have the time to attend these things. Why should the interests of these groups prevail over those of the general public?

It's important for a public organization to be in touch with its clients, but I would argue there are far more effective ways to achieve this. For starters, senior executives should ride the system on a weekly basis. Second, Translink needs to beef up its social media/analytics team. Hire a bunch of pimply-faced, fresh out of university grads at 30K/year with benefits and have them do social media monitoring and analysis.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It's important for a public organization to be in touch with its clients, but I would argue there are far more effective ways to achieve this. For starters, senior executives should ride the system on a weekly basis.
Funny thing is, I've been hearing this (and agreed with this) for decades... yet now we have a CEO, Doug Allen, who DOES do this... and nobody talks about it. Instead, he gets shit on for arriving to an impromptu presser in a vehicle, then leaving again in the same vehicle, as if he didn't have a hundred other places to be.
Quote:
Old 07-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #540

^ Yes, good point.

He should get on Twitter/Instagram and promote himself doing it. Eventually, the media will pick up on it. He will of course have to deal with the trolls, but such are the responsibilities of being in public life.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #541

One CKNW reporter actually did a "ride-along" with him on the bus one morning, just after he started... so the media do know about it, just nobody makes a big deal over it. Would be great if he (or the next CEO) were to institute a rule that all execs must ride the system at least one day a month (once a week would be even better), although that would probably cause an issue with most of their contracts.

But yeah, if he was on Twitter and tweeted something from his ride every time, it would certainly gain some visibility.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #542

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
turns out standing up to translink worked and they magically found 125-million dollars!

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The fact TransLink managed to come up with its 125-million dollar share has those behind the “No” campaign during the transportation plebiscite saying, “I told you so.”

TransLink will sell some land to contribute its first phase share.

Mayors wanted a new 0.5 per cent sales tax to pay the TransLink share of the ten year transit plan, but voters didn’t agree.

Jordan Bateman, BC director of the Canadian Taxpayer Federation was the spokesperson for the no campaign.

He says he knew TransLink could find savings.

“If we had just passed that sales tax like the mayors wanted, Translink didn’t have to do anything – they just would’ve bloated. They didn’t have to put in a single dollar of assets to help pay for anything. But now, we sent a message: go back and look at your own operations. Magically they found 125 million dollars worth of land that they don’t seem to need.”

Bateman says there’s likely more savings to be found within TransLink’s operations to pay for future phases.

The transportation plebiscite’s “No” campaign says it feels validated today, it says TransLink has proven it can fund its share without a sales tax.
I told you so: CTF says it knew TransLink could contribute to transit funding - NEWS 1130
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #543

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Anyone else curious as to where translink owns 125 million worth of land they can just dump at the drop of a hat?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #544
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
maybe they invested funds wisely and did some shadow flipping

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #545
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Translink need to buy out huge lands in projected stations and build condos, malls, etc and rent them out for extra income
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #546
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Anyone else curious as to where translink owns 125 million worth of land they can just dump at the drop of a hat?
Oakridge Bus Depot

They just solicited bids for it

If they held on for a little longer maybe it'll be 200m lol

Last edited by jackmeister; 06-17-2016 at 11:35 AM.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #547
I subscribe to Revscene

^ i was just about to say. that hunk of land is almost a literal goldmine for them, especially since they have that bus barn on marine.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote