REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #501
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The letter sent from the Liberal party to its supporters is really something. It boasts that they kept their election promise.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but roll my eyes at how this letter is written.

https://pricetags.wordpress.com/2015...tter-nonsense/
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #502
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
The letter sent from the Liberal party to its supporters is really something. It boasts that they kept their election promise.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but roll my eyes at how this letter is written.

https://pricetags.wordpress.com/2015...tter-nonsense/
"The other piece of the puzzle is TransLink. This agency must now focus on restoring the confidence of Lower Mainland voters by delivering reliable service levels, and improving customer relations. They now have an excellent opportunity to take a big step forward in this direction as they recruit a new CEO."

What a joke. What was a pretty functional entity in the 2000's got run into the ground by the BC Liberal's since the 2007 restructuring by Kevin Falcon. It's up to the Liberals to turn the Board of Directors back to local democratically elected officials. Too bad Christy Clark has already stated she will in no way restructure TransLink back to its previous governance structure. Fuck the Liberal party of BC for this entire mess and not having a backbone to making important decisions.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #503
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
What a joke. What was a pretty functional entity in the 2000's got run into the ground by the BC Liberal's since the 2007 restructuring by Kevin Falcon. It's up to the Liberals to turn the Board of Directors back to local democratically elected officials. Too bad Christy Clark has already stated she will in no way restructure TransLink back to its previous governance structure. fuck the Liberal voters and non-voters of BC for this entire mess and not having a backbone to making important decisions.
Fixed
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #504
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
The provincial government (BC Liberals in this case) simply abdicated their responsibility to lead and to govern. They've successfully spun off the burden to deal with the issues of transportation, creating Translink to mask a knowingly growing problem.

The public has spoken - There is little to no trust in Translink and their secret meetings and conspicuous spending. And the Mayors Council? They're going to need a miracle to fix this and answer to the $6 milllion dollars wasted.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Fixed
Do you work for the Liberal party? Sounds like you don't think any of this is their problem.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #506
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Man, if I worked for the party do u think I'd be on rs everyday? Lol.

It is their problem. But how is it that they're still calling the shots and constantly fucking up major responsibilities after they ran translink aground by moves in 2007? The toilet should've been flushed last election.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 07-03-2015 at 04:29 PM.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #507
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Man, if I worked for the party do u think I'd be on rs everyday?
yes
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #508
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Do you work for the Liberal party? Sounds like you don't think any of this is their problem.
What I think 604 is trying to say is that the problems we are facing with regards to the BC Liberals is mainly due to the fact that we were stupid enough to vote for them over and over again...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #509
RS Veteran

^
And those who did not vote are to blame for as well. (It's how I understood the post.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #510
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
If they're too lazy to vote, they're too lazy to research the people and parties they would be voting for. Would rather no vote than a poorly-informed vote based on the fear-mongering ads they see on TV.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #511
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
What I think 604 is trying to say is that the problems we are facing with regards to the BC Liberals is mainly due to the fact that we were stupid enough to vote for them over and over again...
True this. Especially among a lot of the ethnic Chinese that I know, they have this unreasonable and unjustifiable fear of the NDP, thinking that with an NDP-lead government, the province is automatically going to go bankrupt by giving free money away in social services and to the various unions.

The cold hard truth and the fact of the matter is, after 4 terms of BC Liberals "leadership", the state of our province's social services, our education funding, and the salary levels of union workers (other than nurses) have deteriorated to such a sorry state that they have more holes than a block of Swiss cheese.

To maintain balance, governments need to exchange hands between different political parties. Keep the pendulum swung one way for too long, and things will go out of whack in society. Unfortunately, too many people are too dumb to understand this concept.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #512
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
The public has spoken - There is little to no trust in Translink and their secret meetings and conspicuous spending. And the Mayors Council? They're going to need a miracle to fix this and answer to the $6 milllion dollars wasted.
i was talking to my dad at dinner and he mentioned it's technically 12 million. 6 from the vote and another 6 from the 'yes' side's advertising which comes from our pockets...(not sure if that dollar figure is true)

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #513
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Here's the breakdown on the $12m

Smyth: Weep for your wallet today, let?s fix this TransLink mess tomorrow
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #514

Not surprised at the results, but still frustrating. Just like the HST debacle. And I do agree...the money spent from the "Yes" side was bullshit.
This vote should have been on the election ballots, it would have passed I bet. And we wouldn't be wasting the 12 million.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #515
GS8

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Most of the anti-GMO, pro-whitewash Yoga, bicycle humping, latte thumping, live-within-a-block-of-9-to-5-shit-job people on my FB friend's list seem to have gone off on similar tangents about how we, the people, screwed ourselves on this transit debacle.

Vancouver Picks Doing Nothing Over Proposed Transit Tax | VICE | Canada

See, the problem for me is when you lean too far left or right on the political spectrum, you start thinking with your heart and not your head.

For me the Plebiscite felt like Translink and the Government were asking me to bail them out of the mess they caused (a la GM). True it's not the same but when I look at how much more we could have advanced since 2000, I feel appalled. They could have asked me for a tax hike waaaay back in the day and I would have voted yes. I accepted the Carbon Tax despite our gas prices being fucking hilarious compared to elsewhere and I even accepted the HST.

To me, Translink and the Government just sat idle all these years, collected their high pay and did the bare minimum to get this city ready, not just for the Olympics, but beyond that. And when I say bare, I mean BARE. Sure we have some road improvements and a couple of new bridges but I truly believe these issues could have been dealt with a long ass time ago.

Look at Coshitlam. It's all ready for the Evergreen Line but the city's density has been buffed but the roads are still the same leading to ridiculous traffic times to drive short distances, not to mention it's become 'Richmond Jr. with regards to retarded drivers and pedestrians. It'll lead to a very interesting commute once the trains start running.

Anyway, the following rant has been brought to you by Rickard's White. It's some damn good shit for a day like today...
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #516
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Don't worry, this bullshit government will still laud it's fiscal "responsibility" come election time when they talk about how much money they saved through budget cuts/freezes to education, health care, and other public services, completely ignoring the fact that our public services are in shambles.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #517
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

while the stole from ICBC too.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:57 AM   #518

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Most of the anti-GMO, pro-whitewash Yoga, bicycle humping, latte thumping, live-within-a-block-of-9-to-5-shit-job people on my FB friend's list seem to have gone off on similar tangents about how we, the people, screwed ourselves on this transit debacle.

Vancouver Picks Doing Nothing Over Proposed Transit Tax | VICE | Canada

See, the problem for me is when you lean too far left or right on the political spectrum, you start thinking with your heart and not your head.

For me the Plebiscite felt like Translink and the Government were asking me to bail them out of the mess they caused (a la GM). True it's not the same but when I look at how much more we could have advanced since 2000, I feel appalled. They could have asked me for a tax hike waaaay back in the day and I would have voted yes. I accepted the Carbon Tax despite our gas prices being fucking hilarious compared to elsewhere and I even accepted the HST.

To me, Translink and the Government just sat idle all these years, collected their high pay and did the bare minimum to get this city ready, not just for the Olympics, but beyond that. And when I say bare, I mean BARE. Sure we have some road improvements and a couple of new bridges but I truly believe these issues could have been dealt with a long ass time ago.

Look at Coshitlam. It's all ready for the Evergreen Line but the city's density has been buffed but the roads are still the same leading to ridiculous traffic times to drive short distances, not to mention it's become 'Richmond Jr. with regards to retarded drivers and pedestrians. It'll lead to a very interesting commute once the trains start running.

Anyway, the following rant has been brought to you by Rickard's White. It's some damn good shit for a day like today...
Lol, especially that wide road between the bus station and what used to be future shop. That fking light added for the longass crosswalk.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:12 AM   #519
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
It wasn't even a vote about Translink - it was about transportation planning for the 20 years.

We'll never get the Translink reforms we need because the province now has an excuse to not meddle in the affairs of the organization. The NDP won't touch it either, so what now?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #520
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

How about shedding salaries from the top of translink? How about cutting their bonus perks? There are quick hits to be made before saying that there are no other alternatives
Old 07-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #521
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
How about shedding salaries from the top of translink? How about cutting their bonus perks? There are quick hits to be made before saying that there are no other alternatives
1. The cuts you're suggesting are a rounding error on the total Translink budget - barely a few tenths of a percent.

2. Those wages the execs are not unreasonable wages. How much do you expect to pay an exec that runs an organization with an operational budget of over $1.5B?

The waste talk is such bullshit - Translink delivers more per dollar than any similarly sized transit system. https://darylvsworld.wordpress.com/2...-inefficiency/
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #522
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Then Translink should have no issues opening up their books and being held accountable for their decisions and showing that they are spending our money prudently.

Why is the government and Translink resisting this move, if they are turly efficient as you say?
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #523
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
^ Translink was already audited a couple of years ago and the savings that could be achieved were modest at best.

People expecting a lean machine with little waste that is on par with a private company are naive at best. There will be some degree of inefficiency with any public organization because of the special interests they typically need to serve (like the disabled, or rural communities) and a challenging work environment (e.g. unionization). Sure, you could privatize public transit, but then, suburban residents would even have less service than they do now because suburban routes would not be profitable.

You could fire the Translink board and hire university urban planning graduates for 50K/year. That won't solve the issues that public transportation is facing. You could trim the fat, but that won't build subways to Langley or increase bus service to White Rock.

Would people vote "yes" tomorrow if Translink fired its executive and slashed salaries across the board by 50%? As Pete McMartin said in the Sun this weekend, we have a love affair with the private automobile - we're just too smug to admit it.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #524
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i was talking to my dad at dinner and he mentioned it's technically 12 million. 6 from the vote and another 6 from the 'yes' side's advertising which comes from our pockets...(not sure if that dollar figure is true)
It was about $6 million for the "Yes" campaign. Then another $6 million for Elections Canada to implement the ballots.

It was a meager $40,000 for the "No" campaign. Not bad, I might say.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #525
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/brit...cism-1.2753332

Not excessive? So its fine getting these "perks" by asking the public for more money through taxes and then what if they won the vote? Higher bonuses? No thanks. I voted for what i think its right and i'm glad it won. And btw, i take transit everyday.