REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-04-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
2016 Audi A3 Sportback TDI - yay? nay?

I'm again shopping for car... need something that has a good trunk space (i often need to carry a lot of work materials... sedans are out), good on gas, have some finesse/tech without looking too ugly.

The 2016 Audi A3 TDI Sportback got my attention, it's under 50k fully equipped, VAG's TDI, and not bad looking.

Any other opinion on this? And does anyone know when are they arriving to dealer so I can check it out in person? I was told in the summer. It came and gone, still no firm arrival date.

Only cons I can think of is FWD.

Advertisement
Old 09-05-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ that is a big con.......
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:08 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
an audi without quattro? pointless.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
^ that is a big con.......
Haha... I don't think it's that bad comparing to other options I found:

Benz B250
Prius V

I needed the clearance of height... but compact SUVs are either more $$$ or less MPG.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
I quite dislike driving the B250, both my parents and my girlfriend own one. The DCT is slow to respond and all herky jerky when it does, and the steering is nearly as lifeless and artificial as the steering found on Toyotas nowadays. Only pros I can think of are that there's tons of space inside, great high speed stability (like every other modern German vehicle), and in a straight line it's actually quite fast.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 01:29 AM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Nay.

If you can get an allocation for the Golf R, that is what I would get instead of the A3 Sportback TDI.

The Golf R is... a beast of a hatchback:

Order 2016 VW Golf R | Clarkdale Volkswagen | Vancouver |
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
People are looking to save on gas when spending $40-50k on a brand new car? I mean, how much gas are you really looking to save compared to other cars you're looking at lol.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
what about the new Land Rover Discovery Sport?

starts at $41 for the SE up to $49 for the HSE-lux

if you need space to carry, a crossover/suv seems like a better option, some of these newer ones look pretty good too

Last edited by StylinRed; 09-05-2015 at 10:18 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
People are looking to save on gas when spending $40-50k on a brand new car? I mean, how much gas are you really looking to save compared to other cars you're looking at lol.
I don't think it has anything to do with car price.

Gas cost is variable cost and subject to usage/fuel efficiency. An econobox can still suck on fuel efficiency vis a vis, an expensive car with great fuel efficiency.

I will be putting a lot of mileage on the car (30k+ a year), so the less amount of fuel it consumes, the cheaper it is for me to operate. So, I need something either hybrid or diesel. I'm aiming 8L/100km, hence the limit of options.

The other would be a Jetta wagon, but it's a bit ugly and plasticky
Old 09-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I'm aiming 8L/100km, hence the limit of options.
hmm :/ the discovery does 11.9 in the city and 9 on the highway '10 combined'

there's also an $1k optional feature, active driveline, where the car will switch from 2wd/4wd to meet conditions and supposedly this saves fuel

but yeah something diesel will probably get better mileage
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
if it was me id save 15k and get a loaded gti probably hit your economy goal. if youre really concerned about mpg then a loaded golf wagon tdi is still pretty luxurious. either way saves you a lot of money if you dont need the badge.

dont really see the point of spending 50k on a fwd audi
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
I'm again shopping for car... need something that has a good trunk space (i often need to carry a lot of work materials... sedans are out), good on gas, have some finesse/tech without looking too ugly.
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2016 Prius V.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

If u stick with FWD i'd rather have a lexus ct200h
Nomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

CPO 328d Wagon?
bumsuck is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Chow View Post
2016 Highlander Hybrid
2016 Prius V.

I listed Prius V in my previous post (and Benz B250). I think it's a good contender, but its design is not exactly my thing.

Highlander Hybrid, I took it off the list because its fuel efficiency is between 9-10L/100 based on actual owner report

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumsuck View Post
CPO 328d Wagon?
Mh... I'd prefer brand new since CPO usually carries a hefty premium... but I will look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo View Post
If u stick with FWD i'd rather have a lexus ct200h
CT200h is due for a major remodel in 2017... and its current offering is dated comparing to competitors. This was actually my ideal vehicle.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #16

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with car price.

Gas cost is variable cost and subject to usage/fuel efficiency. An econobox can still suck on fuel efficiency vis a vis, an expensive car with great fuel efficiency.

I will be putting a lot of mileage on the car (30k+ a year), so the less amount of fuel it consumes, the cheaper it is for me to operate. So, I need something either hybrid or diesel. I'm aiming 8L/100km, hence the limit of options.

The other would be a Jetta wagon, but it's a bit ugly and plasticky
My point was that by getting a used car you will save $10K+ easily. And there are plenty of used options that meet your fuel efficiency and other criteria.

A car getting 8L/100km vs. a car getting 10L/100km, you'll just be saving $840 if you drive 30,000km/year assuming the gas cost at $1.40/L. You can drive your car for 10 years and you still won't even save $10k.

The point is, your saving from fuel efficiency will not even be remotely close to the saving you'll achieve by getting a used car. I'm not even factoring in the time value of money here lol.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #17

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Not that I am biased of anything, but at that price point why not consider a 2016 Golf R?

I'm very very happy with my car... though it hasn't been put to the snow test yet and there is now drift button sadly
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Not that I am biased of anything, but at that price point why not consider a 2016 Golf R?

I'm very very happy with my car... though it hasn't been put to the snow test yet and there is now drift button sadly
Where can I get a Golf R that does 8L/100km?

Realistically though, the R doesn't have enough space. Are they coming with Wagon R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
My point was that by getting a used car you will save $10K+ easily. And there are plenty of used options that meet your fuel efficiency and other criteria.

A car getting 8L/100km vs. a car getting 10L/100km, you'll just be saving $840 if you drive 30,000km/year assuming the gas cost at $1.40/L. You can drive your car for 10 years and you still won't even save $10k.

The point is, your saving from fuel efficiency will not even be remotely close to the saving you'll achieve by getting a used car. I'm not even factoring in the time value of money here lol.
Totally agree. But I'm referring back to my original idea:

need something that has a good trunk space (i often need to carry a lot of work materials... sedans are out), good on gas, have some finesse/tech without looking too ugly.

I would be spending a lot of time driving by myself on this vehicle. So, I don't want something too basic and plasticky that I'd be hating my life for driving, hence the "finesse"and "ugly" part.

Take a better example, I priced out both A3 SB TDI and Golf SportWagon TDI with all the options I want (HID, smart key, better interior... etc), I am looking at a total difference of 6-7k. And I'd have to see if the saving on the VW is worth the sacrifice on look, comfort and driving exp.

Thus, if there's any option that can be good on gas, look, space, and of course price (new or used doesn't matter as long as there's warranty coverage), I'd like to know.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
If you've considered the Prius what about a 2014 (last year it was made) Matrix or a new Rav4? Both have loads of space, should hit your fuel requirements and should be cheaper to maintain than the Audi.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Honestly I feel the existence of the A3 TDI is to upsell TDI / hipster fan bois to the Q5 (the TDI Quattro).. if you go with the A3 I would pick the Golf wagon and pocket the cash.

I don't think you save that much monetary wise with diesel as it still a bit more pricey most of the year.. actual mileage savings might differ.

Oh if you do go for the TDI Quattro route, I will take the Audi 6 cylinder TDI over the 4 cylinder BMW 328d/X3.. I find the 4 cylinder diesel the most unBMW like engine this century, and it sounds more "diesely", as it just doesn't have the go like the V6.. ugh.

If your work is paying for it.. talk to your accountant first, then shop, as you will know how much work is covering you / km etc. Finance might be a smarter way to go.

As for Land Rover.. Jalopnik sums it up this weekend

Last edited by godwin; 09-05-2015 at 11:04 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:58 PM   #21
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

50k for a non-Quattro Audi? Fuck no.

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #22
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I have driven VW diesels for years and their low cost to drive 30k+ per year is worth every penny. You don't need a quattro if you are wanting diesel mileage and reliability. I can see Audi dropping the quattro on this budget line to bring a better reliability rating - boost the stigma that you never want to own a 10 year Audi. But there are many 10+ year old VW diesels still going - including mine. I have 325k on it with 250k of that with a larger turbo, tune, and hard miles - all while still giving me 42mpg.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #23
I am on the internets

its a great car and you dont need quattro if youre buying diesel, go for the base model with manual seats, if youre counting fuel dollars
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
its a great car and you dont need quattro if youre buying diesel, go for the base model with manual seats, if youre counting fuel dollars
does the diesel give you more traction?
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #25

I'd take a Golf TDI Highline and pocket the $15k in savings.
The Golf has the same panoramic roof, and 2016 models can be opted with radar cruise and all the fancy tech. The only thing Audi has over the VW is the optional B&O sound system.

The leather on the A3/S3 is appalling.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: