REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
j0w
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

illegal to cover VIN?

just wondering if it's illegal to cover the VIN on your dashboard?
Advertisement
j0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:57 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

how bout to change the vin on the dash?
Old 07-28-2003, 06:47 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by p0lar
how bout to change the vin on the dash?
illegal
cdnav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:56 AM   #4
Retired Traffic Cop

Section 354 C.C.

(2) In proceedings in respect of an offence under subsection (1), evidence that a person has in his possession a motor vehicle the vehicle identification number of which has been wholly or partially removed or obliterated or a part of a motor vehicle being a part bearing a vehicle identification number that has been wholly or partially removed or obliterated is, in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, proof that the motor vehicle or part, as the case may be, was obtained, and that such person had the motor vehicle or part, as the case may be, in his possession knowing that it was obtained,

(a) by the commission in Canada of an offence punishable by indictment; or

(b) by an act or omission anywhere that, if it had occurred in Canada, would have constituted an offence punishable by indictment.

(3) For the purposes of subsection (2), "vehicle identification number" means any number or other mark placed on a motor vehicle for the purpose of distinguishing the motor vehicle from other similar motor vehicles.

From the MVA:

New vehicle identification numbers

16 (1) If, with respect to a motor vehicle or trailer, any of the following circumstances exist, the owner of the motor vehicle or trailer must immediately apply to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia for a new vehicle identification number for the motor vehicle or trailer:

(a) the vehicle identification number on a motor vehicle or trailer has become illegible or has been removed or obliterated;

(b) a vehicle identification number is not the same as any other vehicle identification number on the motor vehicle or trailer;

(c) the motor vehicle or trailer does not have a vehicle identification number.

(2) On being satisfied that the applicant is the lawful owner of the motor vehicle or trailer, the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia may assign a new vehicle identification number to it, and the owner must then cause the number so assigned, with the initials "B.C." to indicate British Columbia, and the date of the assignment of the number to be applied by a method designated by the corporation on the part or parts of the motor vehicle or trailer designated by the corporation.

(3) If the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia is satisfied that a new vehicle identification number has been assigned to and applied to a motor vehicle or trailer under this section, the corporation must cause the new number to be inserted in the registration record and licence of the motor vehicle or trailer.

Not a good idea to mess around with VINs. Too much chance of being seriously inconvenienced.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

sorry to bump this thread from the grave, but maybe I'm having trouble understanding the replies. Aren't posts 3 and 4 replying to post 2? I'm curious to whether or not covering the VIN is illegal as well, but the original post in my opinion hasn't really been replied to.

My friend told me that he has heard of stories where a person who is a close friend to a parts guy at a car dealer, was able to get a car key cut from a dealer by providing the VIN of a car. If that's the case, wouldn't theft of a car be easy?

1 3 5
├┼┼╕
2 4 6 R
Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonus View Post
sorry to bump this thread from the grave, but maybe I'm having trouble understanding the replies. Aren't posts 3 and 4 replying to post 2? I'm curious to whether or not covering the VIN is illegal as well, but the original post in my opinion hasn't really been replied to.

My friend told me that he has heard of stories where a person who is a close friend to a parts guy at a car dealer, was able to get a car key cut from a dealer by providing the VIN of a car. If that's the case, wouldn't theft of a car be easy?
Key cut, no. Coded alarm, yes.

If you think it's that easy, try walking into a dealership, give them a vin of a car you see on the street and see what they ask you for.

I lost my mercedes code key and I had to go in. I had to sign a ton of papers, get it approved on a few levels, they sent the request to the factory, factory generated a new key, sent it back, went through more paperwork, id, proof of ownership and then finally got a key.

It's not exactly walk in with a vin, walk out with a key.
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMx View Post
It's not exactly walk in with a vin, walk out with a key.
with normal keys it could be. normaly they ask for an insurance paper or something though.

Last edited by johny; 08-25-2008 at 07:20 PM.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^^
Thanks guys for the details regarding obtaining a key if one were to lose it, but the question by the OP has yet to be answered.

"Is it illegal to cover the VIN on the dash by the windshield of the drivers side." Yes or No, and if one of the police officer mods can answer it, that would be great too!

1 3 5
├┼┼╕
2 4 6 R
Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

It is legal to cover it with some temporary means, like a piece of tape, but you might get some extra time chatting with a cop who pulls you over as to why its covered and whether or not he feels like believing you.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0w View Post
just wondering if it's illegal to cover the VIN on your dashboard?
I can't think of any reason as long as you are able to easily remove the cover to allow an officer to examine it if requested.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,865 Posts
^ what about in the case of a parked violation? I was under the impression that the reason the VIN is placed on the dash like that was so that it could be easily read by officers and the like.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I've never seen my VIN recorded on a parking ticket, so I don't see why anyone would care. In fact, I have a City of Vancouver parking ticket right here in front of me - plate is listed, VIN isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #13

parked, not parking.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Sorry, just figured it was typical RS Engrish I am out of word!

So what's a "parked violation"?? Not asking to be snide, I just can't make sense of the term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 08-28-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #15

I'm a white guy born and raised in Kelowna i spek vry gud engrish lulz

Anywho, I'm referring to the purpose of the dashboard VIN, which I believe was to be viewed easily (mostly by officers) regardless of whether or not you're in the car. I'm not saying they'd bother to list the VIN but they may check it from time to time to ensure it matches up. Stolen plates etc.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

i have had my vin covered up by a piece of foam for the past year.
none of the officers i encountered gave me any problem with it.
drove thru the boarder a few times, no problem either

on a side note about making a key with the VIN: I have seen a dealership do it in less than 10 minutes.
story behind it:
- dealership people locked key inside car.
- didn't want to ask the customer for spare key.
- read vin
- come back within 10 minutes with a new key to unlock car.
- "you didn't see this"
Bath Tussue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #17

yes but that's a dealership doing it for dealership personal-based errors. I highly doubt any of you have cars so nuts that people are paying off dealership management to get a key based on the VIN.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #18

I guess ill take my car back to the body shop they replaced my dash and said they forgot to remove the VIN plate off my old dash and attach it to the new one. And now its gone in the trash.
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
Retired Traffic Cop

Unfortunately it is not so simple. Once you have removed a VIN, you are supposed to replace it with an assigned VIN. An officer finding a VIN plate reattached with pop rivets may consider the vehicle stolen according to the Criminal Code. A search should find the thread where this was discussed.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #20
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

"reattached"? My original VIN plate is still attached, with pop rivets... as supplied by the factory.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #21
RS controls my life!

I know i am bumping another old thread in additional to the rebadging thread.
The last post i made in this thread, I said i haven't been given trouble over the sticker over the vin.
Things have changed. A few days ago, a VPD officer told me he could have ticketed me for covering my VIN with a sticker.
The sticker is just a sticker placed on the windshield. I also have a piece of foam covering it from the inside.
At the officer's request, I removed both in under 10 seconds so he could run a check on the VIN to match the plate.

I am wondering if there is an exact law saying I can or can't cover my VIN with a sticker?
Bath Tussue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
illegible [ɪˈlɛdʒɪbəl]
adj
unable to be read or deciphered
illegibility , illegibleness n
illegibly adv
Collins English Dictionary – Complete

(a) the vehicle identification number on a motor vehicle or trailer has become illegible or has been removed or obliterated;

I believe that a case could be made for a hidden VIN being illegible if it is unable to be read? It would be up to the J.P. to decide. In the meantime, why are you driving around with it being "unable to be read"? Why attract heat? I know if I couldn't easliy see the VIN I would be taking a very close look at the vehicle, as that is very suspicious.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
illegible [ɪˈlɛdʒɪbəl]
adj
unable to be read or deciphered
illegibility , illegibleness n
illegibly adv
Collins English Dictionary – Complete

I believe that a case could be made for a hidden VIN being illegible if it is unable to be read? It would be up to the J.P. to decide. In the meantime, why are you driving around with it being "unable to be read"? Why attract heat? I know if I couldn't easliy see the VIN I would be taking a very close look at the vehicle, as that is very suspicious.
I think this doesnt matter.

take for instance a Japanese Car, like a Toyota Soarer. There is no VIN on the dash, or any at all facing the outside of the car. Without opening the door or hood, it is impossible to verify the VIN. Just because it isnt visible, doesn't mean its Illegible. Illegible is more like, I cant read it when I can see it, like scratching, grinding, rubbed off/partially removed VIN's in the correct spot.
If a Cop cannot see the VIN from walking around and inspecting it, and he can run the plates, its his duty to contact the owner and have him pop the hood or where-ever its located. Not issue a ticket.... geez.

try reading a car's VIN at 6am, with condensation on the window. You Cant.. That but doesn't make it illegible.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #24

got my dash replaced. new vin has to be placed in jamb according to icbc ,so should be fine to have it covered cuz i dont even have one visible.
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #25
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If a Cop cannot see the VIN from walking around and inspecting it, and he can run the plates, its his duty to contact the owner and have him pop the hood or where-ever its located. Not issue a ticket.... geez

Running the plates gives them the information for those plates on file, and the VIN number attached to those plates....however, if you can't find the VIN on the vehicle itself to confirm that the car is the one listed on the plates, then you have nothing. It is not uncommon to have people take plates from one similar car & run with them on another.

I know one company that used a series of pickup trucks to collect oysters on the beach and they were all Chevy. They would just flip the same plate from truck to truck instead of registering them all. The only way you could tell was by the VIN numbers. I used to check them, write a no insurance VT and call a tow truck. After the second time I began seizing the plates as well. If a plate is regsitered to a blue Civic and it's on a blue Civic how can you tell if it's the correct one unless you have a visible VIN? I'm not going to spend a lot of time playing VIN hide and seek. It must be there and it must be visible. If I can't find it then the car gets removed until the driver can prove that the plates belong to that car.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: