REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 11-25-2008, 02:29 AM   #51
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

sorry i actually wanted to see pictures
Advertisement
bikerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #52
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
I find NXT wax a decent product, but not worth the price sold at Canadian Tire ($30-35). Walmart has it for $25, but still not cheap. In the States, Walmart was selling an entire meg kit which included this thing for MUCH less than 25$.

It claims to remove swirl marks but I have very minor spider webbing which it didn't do much to. On the other hand it gives a nice shine and the durability lasts 1-1.5 months (I wash my car almost every week though). Don't think I've even used quarter of my bottle after 6-7 applications. Unfortunately I'm going to try out some Zaino this summer. From what I hear NXT doesn't layer, and for someone like me who loves to wax, Zaino sounds like the perfect thing.

Overall in any general store with an automotive section, Meg's NXT is probably your best bet unless you go to a detailer.

Edit*
Wanted to add a little review on 303 Aerospace protectant.

This is by far one of my favourite products for detailing the interior. It works like magic on many types of surfaces and doesn't leave a glossy finish, unless you apply it excessively. Applied in a car with lots of dark trim, your car will look brand new again. I also use this in the house too. You can find it at your Canadian Tire for $14, but get it when it goes on discount for half price!
One thing I advise against is using these on tires. It mentions it can be applied on tires but it probably won't even last one rain trip.
Almost all Meguiars products contain filler to fill in slight scratches. The only problem with fillers is that while they look great after application, the filler gets "washed away" after several washes. Then it's back to how it looked prior to the wash.

The best bet is to polish out as many of the scratches, swirls and spider webs using a polish or a compound so that the actual paint is defect free. Then if the wash and fillers wash out, you're still left with a scratch free surface.

With that said, it's probably one of the better OTC (over the counter) products. If you want to step up, you'll probably have to start looking at detailing stores (just ask your local detailer or check out sites like eshine.ca, carcaresmart.com, autopia.org).
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #53
How I Mod your mother

Alright, well here are some pics after washing with ONR
The lighting sucked, so this is the best I could do with my powershot

When the forecast callsl for nice weather i'll be sure to wash again and take better pics

[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla

Last edited by !Yaminashi; 11-30-2008 at 08:34 PM.
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #54
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
where can i get some onr

edit: found a seller on ebay called icanpolish located in vancouver. can call him to meet up

Last edited by Fafine; 12-01-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Invisiglass sux big balls

I dont know why people bother using this stuff it doesn't clean nearly as well as windex and does nothing once it gets wet. Also harder to apply than windex as well. What gives?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #56
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^ i don't mind invisiglass. spray on , wipe off with newspaper, done deal. and it doesn't smell like ammonia
bikerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:25 AM   #57
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
MR CLEAN AUTO DRY: 10 washes from one soap refill my ass. i used half the fucking bottle in one wash. also i dont think its even close to an all in one solution... washing a car without a soap bucket is just wrong. i think im gonna give this away to one of my friends. i was trying to be lazy and do a quick job but im slightly too detail oriented not to care.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #58
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
^haha thanks i was just about to grab one, but i'm like washing a car doesn't take that long... it's the waxing, claying, etc. that is time consuming, washing a car takes like 10-20 mins at most?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #59
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
if you use it in conjunction with a bucket and grit guard just to rinse the mitt, you can do a half decent wash in about 20 mins including drying (which you dont have to do). but if you're going to clay, polish, seal or wax your car as well, you're prob someone who will look past this product. its good for someone who has little time and just wants a quick job
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #60
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Rain Clear glass cleaner and repellant
This afternoon, I washed and claybarred my car's window. After that, I applied the Rain Clear glass cleaner and repellant onto the windows and wiped/buffed it off with a microfibre towel.

Clean: 10/10
repel water: 7/10
During a 60km/h drive, the tiny drops of water is still on the windows, the biggers water drops bleed away with the wind. I will use this on my window again tomorrow to give it another layer.

I used one layer of Rain X on my other car's front windshield a year ago.
repel water: 8.5/10 , but only lasted around 2 months.
604_Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #61
I am Hook'd on RS

The 3m line of polishes are great and a can't go wrong line (as long as you know how to properly polish). The heavy cut-swirl mark remover-Glaze system works great. Being able to wet sand dust nibs, and know that the polishes will do their job that well to where you can't tell is very reassuring.
DarkVerses is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #62
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Today, I finally tried the RaceGlaze XL wheel brush. In general, it is better than the 2dollar wheel brush from Daiso. If you wheel is really dirty with breakdust, I suggest you to take your wheel off the car to wash it, it is way easier.

RG XL brush: clean:8/10 durability:9/10
Daiso brush: clean: 7/10 durability: 6/10 well..2 dollars only
604_Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #63
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I bought a 8" random orbital polisher from Canadian Tire today, along with a foam bonnet and a bottle of Autoglym Super Resin Polish

I'm pretty sure it won't stack up to stuff like a Porter Cable, but hey it was on sale for 29.99 so I decided to give it a try on my dad's black Impreza (filled with swirls and holograms thanks to Don Docksteader's cleaning crew)

At first I was reluctant to try it out, but after one polish with the foam pad I can safely say that it took out all the holograms, and about 80% of the swirls (mind you, I rolled it out of the garage and into the sun to check on it)

Nevertheless, it was a nice 30 bucks well spent and applying wax is now a much less "arm-killing" experience!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #64
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I use a lot of AutoMagic stuff, and Ive worked with everything from mazdas to bentleys and the EZ Paste wax seems to make the cut every time. they also sell an absolute ton of other equipment for uses ie: polishes, polishers, shampoo machines, dyes, etc. And the best part is the only BC distributor is local and near my home so I talk to her often, they have an answer for almost anything and Ive sworn by their products for years.
BlackHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #65
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Actually detailed my 2 week old car for the first time today. The whole shebang. Bought a number of products from Autowerkes as well as CT/WalMart, so I'll quickly review the major ones (quite a bit, so please bear with me ).

Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash: Very sudsy. Seems to clean much better than the TW Ice wash from Costco. A lot of people online like the smell, but I'm not a fan. 10/10

Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner: Haven't tried others so I can't compare. Leaves a bit of gloss on the leather but not much. Leather feels more supple than when I received the car from the dealer. Bottle sprays in circular patterns (not the typical spray pattern). Needs a bit of buffing to get even application. Smells nice. 9/10

Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer: very watery consistency. Used to clean door jambs by spraying product on mf. It cleaned with very little effort on my part. Smells really nice. 10/10

Meguiars Smooth Surface Kit: This is my first experience with claying. Only used the clay as I used ONR for lube. Seemed to do the job. Clay was pretty tough to knead. 8.5/10

UltimateX mf sponge/synthetic wool wash mitt/microfiber: Does the job. The mitt gets really soft when soaked with soapy water. Definitely won't scratch the paint unless you're really careless.

Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel: I had mixed feelings going with this. I saw one "how to wash your car" article that used it, so I figured why not (only 7 dollars). You basically put the gel on the foam applicator and apply to the tires. It gets messy if you use too much. Upon application I was really disappointed, as it looked like nothing happened. I checked the box and it said "for maximum shine, wait for a couple of minutes". Did that, and holy cow did the tires looked wet. 10/10

Meguiars NXT 2.0 Tech Wax: Never used wax before. This one is liquid as opposed to paste. Applies very well. Don't need a lot for full coverage. Beads rain very well, and leaves a great shine. Buffs off very easily if you applied it right. Again no comparisons to other products, but I was very happy with the results. 10/10

Stoner Invisible Glass: This really does't apply pretty. It looks like it's leaving a residue on windows. Doesn't seem to wipe as cleanly as Windex. However once everything dries, there are no streaks and glass does look great. 7/10

Now for some Autowerkes products (thanks again Ken!)

Einszett Cockpit Premium: Used after wiping car down with hot soapy water and a mf. Leaves a great matte finish while cleaning/conditioning. I sprayed directly on mf instead of following the instructions. Doesn't smell as nice as people online say it does, but it does a really good job. 10/10

ONR as clay lube: Does a great job. I calculated it out that I needed 15 ml of ONR for a 600ml container of water. Looks like I'll have ONR clay lube for a lonnnggggg time. 10/10

CarPRO PERL: Now this is quite possibly the best protectant I've ever used (imo better than 303). I used 1:1 for exterior trim. and 1:5 for interior as a UV protectant. Still maintains a nice matte application. Smells nice for a protectant. Not greasy at all. The fact that I still have 80% of the original bottle after dilutions (of which I still have 3-4 applications left) speaks volumes of how economical this stuff is. And the results- seriously my exterior trim looks better than when I bought it. Amazing stuff. 11/10

Waffler drying towel: Works well at first. Had to wring it out twice after drying my mazda3. Can leave streaks even after wringing, so if you have a dark car I'd probably use a couple during each session. Since my car is white, you had to look really hard to notice. 6.5/10

Euro Shag: Great for removing wax. Does not leave bits around, even when the wax grabs on as much as it does. Great buffing towel too. 10/10

Jamb MF/All Purpose MF: Jamb towels felt plush, much more so than the AP ones. The AP felt a ton better quality than the UltimateX ones.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Just did my spring detail and gotta give props to my go-to wax, Collinite 845. Read about it last year on Autogeek where the pros raved about its durability and shine and I've been using it ever since on every car I detail now.

It sells for dirt cheap ($17) and lasts for months and months - I put two coats on Thanksgiving (October) and it made it till last week despite the car being parked outside all the time.

Application is easy with a DA - put it on super thin (barely visible), let it dry for 20-35 mins, wipe off. Give it 30 minutes to cure and apply a second coat and you're good for 4-6 months easy. Lots of gloss and depth - it makes my TSX appear a couple shades darker. I use it on my wheels as well and it makes cleaning them a lot easier.

I haven't used the really expensive waxs but this certainly beats any off the shelf stuff you get at Canadian Tire for a lot less money (I was using NXT2.0 and AutoglymHD), I'll never go back to those waxes and I figure I'll try out Collinite's 476 paste at some point.

Last edited by supafamous; 04-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #67
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hey all, I have purchased a tub of wax from a small company based in Scotland recently. The brand of the wax is Mitchell & King and I believe it is a family business selling high end / luxury style.

The owner - John was really nice and provided excellent customer service. He gave me advice and feedback regarding the kind of products which I was looking for.

It only took 3 days of shipping from UK to Canada and the shipping was FREE !
The container itself is made of solid aluminum and it is kind of cool / special. I specifically ask M&K to produce a kind of wax which offers maximum wetness and glow. The wax has a scent of sweet honey as was chosen and it is really oily / thin like butter. The cost for it is classified and I am really happy with it .

Okay, enough intro and here are the pictures.

The vehicle was previously polished and the paint itself is free from major swirls. Therefore I am only cleaning and clay baring the vehicle. As per usual , 2 buckets washing method and dried with a m.f. towel.

After clay baring , I started applying a think layer of temptation wax from top to bottom. Leave it cure for 5 minutes and remove the residue with another m.f towel.

I have layered three coats on the driving mirrors , roof and spoiler as a highlight.
The whole process took over two days to complete and the end result was excellent.

Rejuvenated Armor All mud flap

Dressed up winter tires

I hope you all enjoy my review and at the end of the day, who does not want a clean shiny car in winter !?
gn02156668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #68

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Simoniz Waterless Wash and Wax - $6

Disclaimer: I've never tried any waterless products prior to this. Product was applied in my garage - a cool and dark area.

I drive a 2015 Tafetta White Honda Civic Sedan (yenno the dude who spilled coffee on the exterior). Summer's Solstice is 3 days away, and that usually just means, water restrictions. Given that, that is probably going to happen, I decided to go to Canadian Tire, a probable bad place to buy *good* automotive products.

I bought, Simoniz Waterless Wash and Wax, it's ingredients and features are:
  • "Unique combination of carnauba, PIFE, and natural surfactants that promote shine and water free cleaning"
  • Cleans and shines without water (with a little elbow grease required)
  • Safely cleans all surfaces without scratching (given that you change microfiber cloths when dirty)
  • Will not stain plastics or rubbers (yeah, right.)
  • Just spray and wipe for a high gloss finish (close.)
  • Size: 473ml (16oz)

Car was a little dirty prior to usage, unfortunately I don't have any before application pictures. However, it's what you can imagine from a day of city driving with rain/hail on Tuesday.

My thoughts:
  • "Does not stain plastic pieces"...it stains all the black window trim, windshield wipers, the plastic below the wipers, and even the chrome.
  • "Just spray and wipe for a high gloss finish"... the high gloss finish really requires some - a lot of buffing, dries to haze, finish is better than turtle wax wash and wax
  • Spray, wipe, and wax - almost like magic
  • Has a very fake wax feel
  • Makes squeaky clean sound, but is very slippery to the touch
  • 45 minutes vs 2.5 hrs conventional wash​

Overall, I'm satisfied with the product. I did however, change microfiber cloths to prevent dragging dirt across my paint. I'm probably not going to buy another waterless wash and wax product, I think I prefer the feeling of actually washing my car. See attached below for images.

13457697_971040789677762_1334604264_n.jpg

13445905_971040853011089_1299220699_o.jpg

13453528_971132199668621_1431102586_o.jpg

13445892_971070976341410_912293846_o.jpg

13453010_971070983008076_640230206_o.jpg
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #69

Detailed my Miata today and used a few new things:

Chemical Guys Canada | Professional Car Care Chemicals Chemical Guys Clay Mitt Purple autoobsessed edmonton alberta canada | Auto Obsessed™ - Been curious about mitts instead of bars and this thing is damn awesome. I clayed the car in about half the time as expected. Super easy to use, able to cover large areas in one go, and easy to clean.

Blackfire Canada | Premium Car Care Products Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protectant | Auto Obsessed™ - I usually use Collinite 845 but ordered this up as I'm almost out of the Collinite. As easy to use and remove as Collinite (which is super easy to use), very slick on the car, and looks great. Will be applying an extra layer or two in the next couple days. Not sure I'll give up the Collinite but BFWD is pretty awesome so far.

Optimum Car Care Products Canada | Optimum Polymer Technologies Optimum Tire Shine | Auto Obsessed™ - Used this a few weeks ago - sprayer is a bit too direct so you definitely have to wipe it but it lasts a good 2-3 weeks even with rain. Not too glossy but also not matte.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #70
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Anyone been using Turtle Wax Ice seal & shine? Thoughts?

Been using it for half a year now between washes. I usually use the Turtle wax wax/dry as it is quick and I can apply while the car is wet.

Turtle was has come a long way.
Turtle wax Ice seal & shine got great reviews on YouTube. You can pick up a bottle at your local Walmart for about 15$ which is not bad.

Pros:
- product availability is good
- affordable
- durability is pretty good with good beading (2 months with car parked outside)
- decent shine
- no crazy smell to it
- great as a quick wax
- can be applied on a wet car

Cons:
- not a replacement for a good wax
- kind of oily and wiping it down

Excited to try the new Turtle wax ceramic line up
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:34 PM   #71
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Has anyone tried the new Turtle Ceramic Wax? Is it good?

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53.../dp/B07XYPS3PV

2022 Tacoma TRD Sport - SOLD
2020 Tacoma TRD Sport - SOLD
2017 4Runner Limited - SOLD
2014 Tacoma V6 6spd - SOLD
2012 Honda Pilot EX-L - SOLD
2006 Lexus IS250 RWD- SOLD
2003 Accord Coupe V6 - SOLD
1992 Accord - SOLD
gurdeep007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurdeep007 View Post
Has anyone tried the new Turtle Ceramic Wax? Is it good?

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53.../dp/B07XYPS3PV
No but I'm using the Meguiar's version of it and it's pretty good: https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-hy...ramic-wax.html

I use it on my winter wheels as my RDX has Opticoat Pro on it already. I plan on using it on my TSX when spring rolls around. Reviews have been consistently good on it (and I've heard generally good things with the Turtle Wax one too). Super easy to put on - spray and rinse and ta-da!
Old 01-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #73
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
I'm in need of a recommendation on a good heavy duty rim clear that will remove stuck on brake dust. I used an armor all one and it just isn't working that well.

Know of a product with a little more kick to it?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #74

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
I'm in need of a recommendation on a good heavy duty rim clear that will remove stuck on brake dust. I used an armor all one and it just isn't working that well.

Know of a product with a little more kick to it?
Iron-X or Iron-Off. The CT AutoGlym Magma also works, but it didn't fare too well on the clear of my polished wheels. On the flip side, there's also very little products out there that safely cleans Hawk brake dust.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #75
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I have chronic red eyes (confession its due to smoking weed). I went to my optometrist who said stop taking visine since it actually makes your eyes more red even though I've been using visine forever. As you can imagine having red eyes all the times is a problem especially when going to work because people literally think you're high all the time.

Anyways my optometrist said either use Thealoz Duo or I-Drop Pur Gel. I have tried both of these and prefer Thealoz because its less thick and doesn't blur your vision like I-Drop Gel. It takes a while to work but my eyes definitely don't get as red anymore and they also don't itch and burn all the time.
1997integra is offline   Reply With Quote