REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 03-23-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Product review!

this thread is used ONLY to rate products you have used. posts other than stated will be deleted.
Advertisement
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Within the past 8 years I have used Zaino and Meguiars Gold Class for 'waxing' duties. I've been detailing my own car since 1992 using various products on paints of varying condition but most were at least good if not factory new.

I rate Zaino quite high due to it's ease of use, durability and ability to layer upon itself creating a thicker barrier with each use. I don't have any real complaints other than the Z5 doesn't fill swirls quite as spectacular as the bottle may claim but it does indeed work and the starting out process can be a tad lengthy. At this point, I wouldn't use any other product on a paint job I want to look it's best.

I like Gold Class as an easily available single-step wax for cars that I don't use Zaino on. Compared to other off-the-shelf products available at stores like Can. Tire, it offers good durability and ease of use. Not as good as Zaino though. I currently use it on my commuter car.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Best wax I've ever used in terms of price, shine, durability, ease of application, and depth is One Grand Blitz. Good luck finding it in the stores, but you can get it on the internet. I LOVE this stuff, and I've tried just about everything else (including some really expensive brazilian carnuaba that is stored in a silk bag). The best part is, it's not too expensive!

http://www.onegrand.com/

93 VR RX-7 (SOLD) -=- 88 Integra LS (Daily Driver) -=- 90 CRX Si (LS/VTEC Racecar) -=- 79 Datsun 510 (G2 Rally Car) FOR SALE
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

hm... i've gotta check out that onegrand stuff... =)

from regular consumer wax to higher end products... i've got to say that you pay for what you get. Zaino Brothers did a great job in coming up a multi stage process.. well it is cuz i am too cheap to get the ZFX. The Z2 works great.. but like above.. the Z5 does not hide swirls as great as other products on the market.

I used to be a huge zaino fan until i was introduced to S100. After two coats of this stuff.. Rain water could not be stuck to my car !!! =) I was truly amazed with the results and even though you pay big bucks for a 6oz tub.. it is all worth it. in reality... the 6oz tub could last approx a year or so.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsup
hm... i've gotta check out that onegrand stuff... =)

from regular consumer wax to higher end products... i've got to say that you pay for what you get. Zaino Brothers did a great job in coming up a multi stage process.. well it is cuz i am too cheap to get the ZFX. The Z2 works great.. but like above.. the Z5 does not hide swirls as great as other products on the market.

I used to be a huge zaino fan until i was introduced to S100. After two coats of this stuff.. Rain water could not be stuck to my car !!! =) I was truly amazed with the results and even though you pay big bucks for a 6oz tub.. it is all worth it. in reality... the 6oz tub could last approx a year or so.
6oz tub is the one from the harley store right? 30bucks?

that shold last you at least 25 waxes man

and yeah, s100 is good. application is soo easy, and wipes off easy. wont white your rubber strips too!

Last edited by trollguy; 04-18-2004 at 07:46 PM.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:16 AM   #6

i don't know if it really lasts 25 wax jobs.. it says 25 wax jobs on a bike.. a car is larger than a bike.. lol !
Old 04-23-2004, 06:14 PM   #7
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
NXT Spray Wax

You might think that this is just a 'quick detailer' to be used in conjunction with NXT Tech Wax (which I love), but you'd be wrong.

It is basically a thinner version of tech wax, in a spray bottle. It goes on in big 'splats' and drips everywhere. You have to let it dry, just like regular wax, and then wipe it off like a wax.

So basically, it's a version of the wax that is 'supposed to' be easier to use, but really it goes on uneven, and can make a mess all over your windows, trim, etc.

Just stick to regular tech wax, which is easier to apply, and you can do a better job with it.

Although I will say, it leaves the same incredible shine as tech wax.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:37 AM   #8
RS Veteran

megauirs quick clay

i always thought the mothers bar seemed like putty.. silly putty that is... i got the meguairs quick clay and its like the sticky putty stuff teachers used to stick notes up on the wall or stuff you can get to stick posters on your wall without using tape or a pin.. smelled the same too.. but it does work.. clay bars are probably something all car enthusiasts should use about once a year for their daily driver.. and especially for ppl who park their car outside.. its a NIGHT and DAY difference. youll love it.

TIP: cuz the bar 1/8 or 1/5 at a time.. as you most likely will NOT need the whoel bar for one car.. i peeled about a cm off from the bar 1 cm in width that is and the reg length of the bar..at most i think you will need half the bar for a whole car.. even if the bar gets dirty you can still use it as long as you dont drop it on the floor and get dirt/rocks in it.. just knead it as needed and youre set... 20 bucks is pricey if you think of what youre really getting.. a bar of putty and the detailer which you really dont need( i wish they sold the clay separatly) but the results are worth the money!

very recommended product.. i tested it on my car where it had some clear coat overspray and it worked like a charm! im gonna spend one whole day next week before SCN to clay my whole car

Last edited by Spidey; 04-28-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:04 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

-Mother's Clay bar kit-

the clay bar work really good, which give our very smooth finish, but the wax included in the kit is shit~
mingww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:06 AM   #10

Zaino Clay Bar Z18

trying to get my car ready for SCN this weekend.. and um.. decided to wash, and clay, and zaino my car..

the Zaino Claybar.. i recently purchased through a buddy of mine.. at first.. i thought it would be the same as the mother's clay bar.. i am very familiar with the mother's one as i've always bought the kit in the past.

The Z18 claybar is not as sticky as the mother's one.. which makes me wonder if the bar is even picking up any dirt ??? i did pretty much um.. 1/2 my car with the zaino bar.. and the other half with the mothers one.

The mother's bar stretches and feels like putty.. the zaino bar.. when you try stretching it.. it sorta breaks apart...

I conclude that the zaino bar is alright.. but not really my cup of tea... lol !!! the good thing is that it is not too expensive .. and that you get two bars... while the mother's kit is about hte same price.. and you only get 1.

will let u know the results maybe later tonight.. i was too tired to compare the finish !! hahaha !!
Old 05-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #11
RS Veteran

maybe its cuz the zaino bar you need 2 a car lol.. do you have pics fo the zaino bar? cuz i know the meaguirs bar is just like the sticky stuff you hang posters with(like i described above) and i rememebr the mothers was sticky and kinda like plastercine(sp?)
Old 05-09-2004, 06:29 PM   #12

u can't really tell what it looks like by picture.. but really looks.. it looks just like the mother's bar.... the feel.. .well not as sticky and plastercine (sp?) like.....

less stretchy as well too !
Old 05-13-2004, 11:15 AM   #13
RS Veteran

mothers billet polish(for all metals) great stuff.. WAYY better than the eagle 1 metal polish.. i never tried the meguiars or mothers regualt metal restorer but this stuff is great.. it costs a whoppin 15 bucks though.! thats the only down side
Old 05-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #14
I subscribe to Revscene

california water blade

hey i just bought a california water blade,
and when i use it, it makes some terrible squeaking noise!
is this normal?

is it a good product for drying a car?

is this a good buy?

Last edited by Perfect_ESL; 05-14-2004 at 12:09 AM.
Perfect_ESL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:31 AM   #15

i want to know the answer too
i've never try this on my car cuz i just don't feel it's safe to the paint

Stuff for sale:

92-95 , 96-00 Honda Civic Factory Service Maunal on CD(PDF Format) - $10 each firm
CivicSIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:43 AM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i've used it on my car, and its an ok product

it squeaks on my car too, but if u push down abit more and move it in a faster motion, theres less squeaking

haven't had any scratches or marks on my car yet

2001 Toyota Celica - Sold
2003 Honda CBR600RR - Sold
Ice_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:41 AM   #17
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
A lot of people swear by it, but personally I would feel weary of dragging some shit across my car like that... Just use MF, it doesn't take long at all.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:08 AM   #18
Tech Team Mod

I hated that thing, used it once and returned it at Canadian Tire.
Rated B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:03 AM   #19
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Yes, the squeaking is normal, don't worry about that. I use the California Water Blade, but I do NOT recommend it for casual users because you have to be cautious using it.

Every other swipe or so I run my fingers over the blade to check for grit. Dust is a potential problem so be careful using it on windy days or if someone is mowing their lawn nearby. I also wash it off before every session. Be careful not to bump anything with the plastic handle and don't go too fast or you may have an accident. Regardless if I use the blade or not, I always rinse down the car again before drying.

I've never caused any scratches with my blade yet, and many enthusiasts do use it - just carefully. It just reduces the amount of mopping up I have to do with my microfiber towel, and even with all the checking it still saves me some time.
4DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by Rated B
I hated that thing, used it once and returned it at Canadian Tire.
maybe i should do this too..lol

Stuff for sale:

92-95 , 96-00 Honda Civic Factory Service Maunal on CD(PDF Format) - $10 each firm
CivicSIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #21
I subscribe to Revscene

too late to return it.,
but 4dsc gave me some good information, thanks,
by the way, 4dsc what color car do you have
Perfect_ESL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 02:04 PM   #22
avu
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i use it all the time. havent had a problem with it yet.
avu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:09 PM   #23
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I love the blade.. no problem.. good buy
Type R 00-1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:47 PM   #24
ODC
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I borrowed my friends water blade, works great.
ODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #25
RS Veteran

works great. kinda pricey and i would stay away from the imitation sundance pieces of crap... on a waxed car squaking should be minimal