REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #10101
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

what industry do you guys see at a wise investment at this point?

new year so new TFSA room
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #10102
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
VTSAX

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #10103
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
the FOMO for TSLA is real, I don't have a position, I'm thinking about buying a couple of shares now fml..
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #10104
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Bought TSLA at $490 a month ago after I restructured my portfolio. It's been nuts lately. But I expect a pull back soon..
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #10105
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Bought in a month ago. Up 50%. Got out today
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #10106
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
the FOMO for TSLA is real, I don't have a position, I'm thinking about buying a couple of shares now fml..
+1. Considered when it was around $500.....fml
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #10107
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Sold at the magical number of $420 and was pretty happy with a 230% return. Should've held another couple months longer
Old 02-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #10108

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
TSLA is just absolutely nuts.

The even crazier part? I don't feel the urge to cash out even though my average cost is just a tad over 240 (bought most of them at 18x, then some at 22x during the 2019Q2 dip and some more at 40x)

Gonna ride this until Cybertruck is out, which I have one on order. If this thing is anything like the announcement made it to be, it's gonna make Tesla huge. Like the same way how Apple annihilated Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson back with iPhone huge.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #10109
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

TSLA just makes no sense....
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #10110
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Don't chase it.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #10111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
Forget TSLA for a moment and look at the bigger picture.

All big cap players (AAPL, MSFT, AMZN... you name it) are NOT making any fundamental financial sense (from a traditional perspective). But WHY do their stock keep going up? It's because all the money in the market has nowhere to go.

Stock market is the only place where billions of dollars can go in and out on a moment notice. A lot of money used to go into the RE market, but the current level of liquidity and market condition in major markets is too risky for them to load their fund into.

I've said it before, fundamentals are fucked now. With so much liquidity in the market, it's going to take a HUGE event to crash this.

The only problem on the horizon? China... but even if China's bubble pops, China is SURELY to pump a LOT of liquidity into the market, that will drive the stock market further away from fundamentals.

I do agree that at some point in time, market'd start reconsidering about fundamentals, but not when there's a daily billion dollar injection into the market.

So, I'm not suggesting to buy TSLA or anyone for that matter... but if you want to know why it's so detached from fundamentals, it's because the hot money in the market.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #10112
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,408 Times in 5,094 Posts
At least all the companies you listed make a friggin profit though?!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #10113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
At least all the companies you listed make a friggin profit though?!
They are dominant players in a more stabilized sector.

But look back at when Amazon was losing hundreds of millions every quarter, or when Apple launched iPhone and some major figures like the then MSFT CEO to laungh that it got no keyboards.

When doing investments, see what's ahead, and not what's behind. It might serve as a guidance to their executive's performance, but NEVER fight the market.

I have confidence in many of them as I listed a page back about the stocks I long, and the theories are the same whether for TSLA, TSM, AMD... etc.

What I care is about their future.

TSLA is a niche... as far as a car manufacturer goes... but if you think about it, if all the new cars we sell every year were to go electric, what company stands to benefit more? IMHO, ICE manufacturers have a huge BURDEN, and not ASSETS from their current investment. Their machines and factories are all designed to produce ICE and not EVs. From an analysis perspective, the cost for them to start an EV production line isn't very far from anyone else who are looking to start an EV line. They might have some economy of scale here and there with some common parts that ICE and EV share, but that's about it.

So, if ICE's sale are already dropping (while EVs are still increasing exponentially), the slower a manufacturer is able to adapt to EV, the less likelihood of their survivors. Yes... I'd go as far as saying that some of the car brands we know today, BMW, Honda, Benz... whatever can cease to exist only a decare or 2 down the road.

TSLA has EVERY advantage an EV producer can have now. They have the largest scale of operation. Tesla's Giga Nevada (no.1 cell manufacturer) produce more batteries than no.2 and 3 combined. Their electric motor's efficiency is off the chart comparing to EVERYONE else in the EV market and software so advance that car manufacturer can only dream about.

Thus, the question again, if one is to believe that the switch from ICE to EV is inevitable, what's to pick about Tesla? I'd spend more time criticizing traditional manufacturers not shifting fast enough before I even speak a word about Tesla. They are the EV market leader, a lead that likely to continue because I'm not seeing anyone else.

Last edited by Hehe; 02-04-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #10114

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Forget TSLA for a moment and look at the bigger picture.

All big cap players (AAPL, MSFT, AMZN... you name it) are NOT making any fundamental financial sense (from a traditional perspective). But WHY do their stock keep going up? It's because all the money in the market has nowhere to go.

Stock market is the only place where billions of dollars can go in and out on a moment notice. A lot of money used to go into the RE market, but the current level of liquidity and market condition in major markets is too risky for them to load their fund into.

I've said it before, fundamentals are fucked now. With so much liquidity in the market, it's going to take a HUGE event to crash this.

The only problem on the horizon? China... but even if China's bubble pops, China is SURELY to pump a LOT of liquidity into the market, that will drive the stock market further away from fundamentals.

I do agree that at some point in time, market'd start reconsidering about fundamentals, but not when there's a daily billion dollar injection into the market.

So, I'm not suggesting to buy TSLA or anyone for that matter... but if you want to know why it's so detached from fundamentals, it's because the hot money in the market.

This is absolutely correct. People have money and where else are they supposed to put it? That's exactly why fundamentals don't matter as much in this market right now.

People have a certain allocation of cash and if they're used to the normal, they invest it. Every month $500 goes into S&P Index, buy buy buy. Hell, even the HUGE hedgefunds and financial players have so much cash on hand because they're waiting for the doomsday, but even if that happens, they have the cash ready to buy at a discount and bring the price back up. I mean look at Warren Buffet, how much cash does he have? $128B. You think if the market drops 100% he's not going to be buying then? He, like everyone else, how can this market go down?

Like Bridgewater (Ray Dalio's company) said, the boom-bust cycle is over. These aren't normal times. Everyone has money, the economy is good, and the bears have loads of cash to drive the market back up if it ever goes bust.

BTW. TSLA should be RED tomorrow by at least 15%, if it goes red, i'm buying. Hopefully, it'll go RED again and i'll buy out my last position because if it does this, it's going to the moon, just like BTC did and just like WEED did. And then i'll cash out closer to the top. That's the short term play for those who want to swing positions. I've seen this with both BTC and WEED and i'm hoping TSLA will do the same.

Last edited by PeanutButter; 02-04-2020 at 01:03 PM. Reason: grammar
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #10115

TSLA down 13% as we speak!!!!

Time for me to scale in. If you're going to scale in, be prepared to go RED again tomorrow. It's hard to time these things, but if this is anything like BTC or MJ, in the short term it's going to go GREEN and it's going to go HIGH.

I'm excited!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #10116
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,408 Times in 5,094 Posts
Godspeed Mr. PeanutButter
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #10117
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,228 Posts

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:34 AM   #10118
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
the market doesnt have to make any fucking sense

what are we trying to be? phd economists?

no...

the market only has to make money. and money can be made in both directions.

fuck the why.

why doesnt matter. we aint writing history books.

just make money. put the money in your pocket and run.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #10119
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
the market doesnt have to make any fucking sense

what are we trying to be? phd economists?

no...

the market only has to make money. and money can be made in both directions.

fuck the why.

why doesnt matter. we aint writing history books.

just make money. put the money in your pocket and run.
Your thoughts on TSLA?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #10120

Alright, boys.

Picked up a few more units of TSLA today around $710. My positions are locked in. Let's hope it goes to the moon in the next few trading sessions. Otherwise, i'll be holding a dog for awhile.. lol
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #10121

I’ve just started investing and it’s been a pain in the ass depositing USD cash in my tfsa at TD. Decided to open an Questrade account instead. Still waiting for my funds to transfer over..
Old 02-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #10122

Quote:
I’ve just started investing and it’s been a pain in the ass depositing USD cash in my tfsa at TD. Decided to open an Questrade account instead. Still waiting for my funds to transfer over..
How much are you playing with? You can just convert your CAD to USD at TD's rates which aren't horrible.

I have both accounts and find TD's UI is so much better than Questrade. TD's performance analytics is also better and easier to use.

ie. For TD right now with WebBroker as at Feb 6, 2020 @8pm

Spot Rate:
$1,000 CAD = $752.62 USD
1 USD = 1.33 CAD

TD WebBroker
$1,000 CAD = $741.51 USD
1 USD = 1.3486 CAD

VBCE
$1,000 CAD = $746.27 USD
1 USD = 1.34 CAD

You're only losing $6.35 for every $1,000 CAD by buying from TD versus VBCE. Unless you're playing with big time cash, it really isn't significant.

btw. what are you investing in? ETF's or are you picking pony's?
Old 02-07-2020, 12:04 AM   #10123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
How much are you playing with? You can just convert your CAD to USD at TD's rates which aren't horrible.

I have both accounts and find TD's UI is so much better than Questrade. TD's performance analytics is also better and easier to use.

ie. For TD right now with WebBroker as at Feb 6, 2020 @8pm

Spot Rate:
$1,000 CAD = $752.62 USD
1 USD = 1.33 CAD

TD WebBroker
$1,000 CAD = $741.51 USD
1 USD = 1.3486 CAD

VBCE
$1,000 CAD = $746.27 USD
1 USD = 1.34 CAD

You're only losing $6.35 for every $1,000 CAD by buying from TD versus VBCE. Unless you're playing with big time cash, it really isn't significant.

btw. what are you investing in? ETF's or are you picking pony's?
I took out about 5k in cad and went to VBCE to exchange usd, was hoping it would be an easy transaction to deposit my USD into my TFSA at TD. It’s too much of a hassle. Next time I’ll just do it right at TD. I had to call TD to transfer it manually, which they said would take 5-7 business days. So I said eff that and I opened a questrade account instead. I have some position in XAW, but I’m looking to get some blue chip stocks like Apple and Msft to hold long term.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #10124
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

are you guys only trading in rrsp or tfsa accounts?

i have this years room in my tfsa or a lot more in my wife's i guess to contribute rather than just going regular investment account...thoughts/comments?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #10125
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If you’re not using your tfsa, you’re doing it wrong
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: