REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #10451
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Back in the Spring of 2017, I was looking at Shopify because there was an increasing trend of online shopping and I was noticing how a lot of websites were using it.

At the time, I think it just broke through $100 (CAD, not even USD) and I thought it was too expensive. Instead, I went in on $BABA.

EDIT: Not recommending in FOMO, but just giving you my own personal missed experience, lol.
I had limit order placed on SHOP at $350 few months back... it didn't fulfill as stock never hit $350, but $352..

On a side note, anyone play corona virus vaccine stocks? last few weeks were all NVAX and today INO is rallying from the news that they received $71M funding from Pentagon.. the market cap literally went up $1B from the news..
Advertisement
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #10452
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Wave 2 happening now in the US as they hit a new peak since April. Here comes the bull trap!
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #10453
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
hopefully the drop will keep on going then add a panic sell on Friday ... would be great.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #10454
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
The first wave never ended lol
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #10455
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Not as much volume as I expected today. Went hard into VXX on Tues close and sold early today. Thought the dip was gonna get bought as that shit rallied up around 7am

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #10456
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

so far up 90% YTD.. went phama heavy...
some of the gains were
Inovio - avg price at $12, currently hovering $30 after big gains last three days
OPK - in at 1.9, current SP 2.65
MFA - bought at 1.7, sold at 2.8
CHK - bought at 15, sold at 28
AYTU bought at 1.1 sold at 2
CODX bought at 3ish sold at 9ish
SQQQ, TQQQ depending on market trend, traded either side.. made a little profit
shorted few stocks like AC.TO, SHOP.TO, H, CCL and made few bucks

Some of the loss were
TVIX - got burned when it sank to $200 from $700
LK - bought at 2.7, couldn't hold the pressure, god rid of it at 1.8... only to see it go down to 1.3 the next day and right after jumping to $5..
TNXP - in at $1.4.. now .58.. will likely dump it in next few days unless there's reason not to...
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2020, 11:48 PM   #10457
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

so thankful i'm learning investment options in my tfsa in the last month. just transferred in kind from mutual funds to my direct investment account and made $3000 in 2 days as opposed to $8k in my mutual funds in 2 years! lmao. if only i did this sooner....
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:48 AM   #10458
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post
so thankful i'm learning investment options in my tfsa in the last month. just transferred in kind from mutual funds to my direct investment account and made $3000 in 2 days as opposed to $8k in my mutual funds in 2 years! lmao. if only i did this sooner....
$3k and $8k means nothing without knowing your overall book value.
SFU_wmc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2020, 06:00 AM   #10459
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Quote:
You only 'make' that money of you sold it.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #10460

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFU_wmc View Post
$3k and $8k means nothing without knowing your overall book value.
What do you mean? Isn't that what we always look at? For example, book cost for my stock yesterday was 15000 and market value is 18000 today. Unrealized gains was $3k. Still new to this so any insight would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
You only 'make' that money of you sold it.
I'm hoping I chose a good long-term investment. But despite many of the larger companies dropping this one keeps rising lol. I'll sell the moment it drops to -10% in a day
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #10461
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
NOK is cheap enough to get in right now since they’re one of the market leaders in 5G. Especially when people aren't willing to go with Huawei.
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #10462
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Quote:
What do you mean? Isn't that what we always look at? For example, book cost for my stock yesterday was 15000 and market value is 18000 today. Unrealized gains was $3k. Still new to this so any insight would be great!
What he is saying is this:
If book value is $15,000 and market value is $18,000 ... OK, not bad.
But if book value is $1,000,000 and market value is $1,003,000 ... whippity doo daa.

$3000 could be 20% gain or it can be .3% gain ...
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #10463

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
What he is saying is this:
If book value is $15,000 and market value is $18,000 ... OK, not bad.
But if book value is $1,000,000 and market value is $1,003,000 ... whippity doo daa.

$3000 could be 20% gain or it can be .3% gain ...
Thanks for the clarification! That makes a lot of sense When you guys diversify do you go into other sectors? As in buy into tech, healthcare, airlines etc? Or stick to what you're familiar with?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #10464
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
All these SPAC reminds me of the old dot com gold rush.

There is at least 1bynd wannabe SPAC on each side of the border, along with several TSLA wannabe.

Its crazy how SPAC with companies in infancy and Bankrupted companies are the hottest tickers in the market….
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:00 PM   #10465
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Last edited by Slifer; 06-29-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Slifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #10466

Anyone else been playing the federal repo schedule? Everything news wise said we were going to open red this week yet we had a crazy rally. I've stopped trading the news since April since it looks like the market is completely disconnected.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
Old 07-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #10467

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Anyone else been playing the federal repo schedule? Everything news wise said we were going to open red this week yet we had a crazy rally. I've stopped trading the news since April since it looks like the market is completely disconnected.
Some tickers are still very news dependent. Like almost all of the airline. BA especially

Anybody got into WKHS.
EV/ alternative energy car company is all hype up now that TSLA is well over $1k
WKHS is a smaller company but it seems to have chance at real world usage/mass adoption with their EV sprinter cargo van.

This is in a market where NKLA can reach 30 bill$ valuation asking for $5k deposit to purchase a truck that they have a CGI rendering of....

Last edited by threezero; 07-02-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #10468
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
To put money into NKLA now really takes some strong faith.

As Musk puts it, anyone can put together a prototype or concept vehicle. The problem is mass manufacturing that concept into production.

And if what's going on with VW's ID3 is any indication, it's just HARD. And if a company with the resources in manufacturing like VW can't quite gets its grip on everything, what makes NKLA, a company who hasn't even shown a working prototype, to be able to pull it off?

My TSLA position just cracked the 400% return threshold today. I think a nice steak dinner is justifiable for tonight even though I'm not selling any share yet.

Anyone's thought about PG&E? It emerged back from bankruptcy today.

I'm looking to start a small position, maybe 1000 shares or so while topping out maybe $30k in total.

Or if anyone can recommend an electricity company, that'd be appreciated.

As I dive deeper into TSLA, I see energy industry as a whole is going to go through some major changes due to the disruption batteries (storage), clean energy (production) and consumer sentiment (demand) would bring. And in the long term, I see many of them would consolidate or be bought out.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #10469
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Some tickers are still very news dependent. Like almost all of the airline. BA especially

Anybody got into WKHS.
EV/ alternative energy car company is all hype up now that TSLA is well over $1k
WKHS is a smaller company but it seems to have chance at real world usage/mass adoption with their EV sprinter cargo van.

This is in a market where NKLA can reach 30 bill$ valuation asking for $5k deposit to purchase a truck that they have a CGI rendering of....
EV stocks have rocketed the past month.

WKHS, SOLO, IDEX, etc.

Everyone trying to be the next Tesla.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #10470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
To put money into NKLA now really takes some strong faith.

As Musk puts it, anyone can put together a prototype or concept vehicle. The problem is mass manufacturing that concept into production.

And if what's going on with VW's ID3 is any indication, it's just HARD. And if a company with the resources in manufacturing like VW can't quite gets its grip on everything, what makes NKLA, a company who hasn't even shown a working prototype, to be able to pull it off?

My TSLA position just cracked the 400% return threshold today. I think a nice steak dinner is justifiable for tonight even though I'm not selling any share yet.

Anyone's thought about PG&E? It emerged back from bankruptcy today.

I'm looking to start a small position, maybe 1000 shares or so while topping out maybe $30k in total.

Or if anyone can recommend an electricity company, that'd be appreciated.

As I dive deeper into TSLA, I see energy industry as a whole is going to go through some major changes due to the disruption batteries (storage), clean energy (production) and consumer sentiment (demand) would bring. And in the long term, I see many of them would consolidate or be bought out.
As much as I don’t like the cult surrounding TSLA and Elon. You are right everybody is just riding TSLA’s success few will make it or even exist in a few Year’s time

NKLA is just shameless from the name to what they are trying to do.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #10471

That email rumour surrounding TSLA's possible inclusion into the S&P500 just elevated the evaluation so much more. If Musk thought they were overvalued at just under 1k a share, I wonder what he must be thinking now

TSLA 1500 sounds like it's an actual possibility now.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
Old 07-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #10472
My homepage has been set to RS

Nothing makes sense.

Markets still record highs
Housing is back to highs, in a bunch of cities across Canada
Heard from a couple buddies, car sales are doing good.

Just keep printing them money machines? Don't get me wrong, I still have a foot in the markets, but just mind boggling - With no Vaccine and flu/cold season coming. Something's got to give - then again, everyone is thinking that
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #10473

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
That email rumour surrounding TSLA's possible inclusion into the S&P500 just elevated the evaluation so much more. If Musk thought they were overvalued at just under 1k a share, I wonder what he must be thinking now

TSLA 1500 sounds like it's an actual possibility now.
Analyst Price target and upgrades are a joke nowadays. Nothing is based on fundamental, PT gets upgrade because the stock moves, not necessary because it deserves it. Even with TSLA's success, the stock (and many others) are still way way overvalued.

For those of you familiar with options. Look into the theory on how TSLA has been push into its current price in part due to the action on its option chain, retail FOMO and how market makers have to response by buying up share. In term pushing it even higher.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #10474
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Analyst Price target and upgrades are a joke nowadays. Nothing is based on fundamental, PT gets upgrade because the stock moves, not necessary because it deserves it. Even with TSLA's success, the stock (and many others) are still way way overvalued.

For those of you familiar with options. Look into the theory on how TSLA has been push into its current price in part due to the action on its option chain, retail FOMO and how market makers have to response by buying up share. In term pushing it even higher.
First thing first, I'm not looking to start an argument. Just a good educational discussion.

So, can you share why you think TSLA is overvalued? As a shareholder in the long (I'm talking like 5-10yrs holding), I'm genuinely interested in any theory that would fundamentally challenge what Tesla and Musk are doing.

Comparing to legacy automakers, Tesla valuation and its volume sounds a bit absurd. However, when it comes to EV, which is the future of auto industry, like it or not, as many countries/territories are setting deadlines to ban ICE cars outright, Tesla is so far ahead that with all the resources legacy automakers have, they are having problems coming up with a viable competitor.

How many "Tesla Killer" have we already heard? None came close what Tesla is capable of doing (both business and product). You name it, Benz, VAG, BMW, Toyota... etc. The closest competitor to Tesla is Hyundai/Kia. And they never dared to call their product Tesla killer because they know their products are in a different segment.

This to me, it looks like back when the first iPhone was out, and EVERY legacy dumb phone makers failed to adapt. Now they are irrelevant. None of the top 5 phone manufacturers today had any major presence in dumb phone industry and this speaks volume; never take past performance as a future representation. It can offer some guidance on the team's ability to execute, but that ends there.

Thus, I think the fact is that the ICE portion actually became a liability or burden for legacy players instead of an advantage. Their toolings, engineers, and even economies of scale in volume help them very little if any. And the fact that they HAVE to consider both ICE and EV at the same time makes them highly vulnerable to failure when competing with Tesla in EV. I'd go as far as saying I see Rivian, a company that has yet make a single car, as a more valid competitor to Tesla than ANY automakers out there.

And this is before diving into the software part of Tesla as well as the energy, Cybertruck, and all future products.

EV would continue to grow exponentially relative to their ICE counterparts in years to come. And Tesla single handily commands pretty much the entire available battery cell industry. The scale advantage is actually on Tesla side vs. legacy players when it comes to EV.

Last edited by Hehe; 07-04-2020 at 12:44 AM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:16 AM   #10475
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
While I personally think Tesla's current valuation is overpriced, the stock market is forward looking and a lot of it is based on future projections.

I can't see anyone knocking Tesla over in the foreseeable future, and I think that the majority of the public shares similar sentiment.

I mean when you think of electronic vehicles, what company do you think of?

Tesla is easily in the same sentence as Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote