REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #10526
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,185 Posts
There's a weekly call option for $3500... hahaha. I think unless some crazy events like SP500 inclusion gets announced this week, the chance of that happening is pretty slim, even though some people are willing to bet money on it.

I mean, even with SP inclusion announcement, there's just no way for share to duplicate in a 4days.
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #10527
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I've just reduced my equity exposure to 50% from 90%.

Currently my portfolio mix for my TFSA is:
50% equities:
15% WEED (APHA and GTII)
25% CAD banks (RBC, NA)
15% CAD energy (ENB)
45% US Tech (MSFT, AAPL, FB, GOOGL)

50% cash

I sold all of my TSLA. Probably the dumbest move I'll do, but let's see what happens. Betting on a correction coming soon, let's see if it comes.

So much doom and gloom out there. I dunno what's going to happen, but figured I'm happy with only 50% in the market right now. Oh well. Let's see how it goes.

MY TFSA mix is different than my RRSP mix. My RRSP mix is 75% Equities 25% cash. I'm less active in my RRSP. That's just there for the long future, so I'm not too active in my RRSP
lol i'm so happy i kept my tesla stocks. $2k....wow
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #10528
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post
It'll probably keep running post-split as well followed by a drop.

Anyone else in RKT? I bought shortly after IPO at 23.75, but DCA'd down to 21.85 as it dropped in price.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-8-1029505305

Quote:
On Friday, Rocket announced preliminary second quarter earnings, which revealed some eye-popping growth figures for the Ohio-based company.

Here are the key numbers:
Revenue: $5.0 billion, representing year-over-year growth of 437%
Adjusted net income: $2.8 billion, representing year-over-year growth of 995%
Closed loan origination volume: $72.3 billion, representing year-over-year growth of 126%
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #10529

Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post
My buddy, who got me into Tesla and TSLA in the first place just became a Teslanaire today... as in stock net gain (Mkt value-book value>1M).

We having a BBQ this weekend, supposedly he's going to bring some crazy wagyu steak to celebrate this milestone...
Old 08-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #10530
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
My buddy, who got me into Tesla and TSLA in the first place just became a Teslanaire today... as in stock net gain (Mkt value-book value>1M).

We having a BBQ this weekend, supposedly he's going to bring some crazy wagyu steak to celebrate this milestone...
Jelly. When will it be my turn . Missed the boat when I thought $400-500 was too expensive to get in and then it kept climbing.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #10531
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,393 Times in 5,667 Posts
I thought $97 was too high...

Made a nice tidy profit on Nintendo this week, sold off my entire position. Bought in around $20 when Pok駑on go broke out. Moved some of the profits into TD as I don’t have any Canadian bank exposure
Old 08-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #10532
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
Jelly. When will it be my turn . Missed the boat when I thought $400-500 was too expensive to get in and then it kept climbing.
I bought back when it was $32 and sold before it passed $250. It's actually very depressing how much my shares would be worth today if I didn't sell.
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #10533

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
I am biased af as an owner/shareholder.

But really, if I were to invest into Tesla today, or any company for that matter, what I look is for what kind of future is the company looking to be in, and how far are they from achieving it?

I believe the hardest part for Tesla is behind them. They now have Model3/Y that would serve as their foundation, much like how 3-series paves the way for BMW in term of spreading fixed costs.

The next stage that Tesla is entering is the exponential growth part. This is the same part where AMZN started its many years of money losing trend while revenue continue to climb exponentially. TSLA seems to be managing fine with expenses, so I don't think we'd see the money losing trend like AMZN had to go through, but I'm just saying don't be surprised to see losses as it takes money to make money.

With 2 Gigafactories under construction, 1 (Giga Shanghai) expanding, Tesla is going to easily 3-5x its current production in a year or 2 once everything is completed and operational.

IMO (again, biased af, so do your own dd), with car business alone, by being the leader in EV industry (Tesla got 80% of market share in H12020 for US EV market), it can justify its current valuation and beyond (I give no less than 1T valuation).

And with the recent events in California, we can see that the power infrastructure in even a developed market like California is no match to the global warming/climate change. The reason is that increasing capacity is costly. And they wouldn't build 110% of capacity if the usual load is sub 80%.So, Tesla's battery pack business (both residential and industrial scale) would expand in the next few years.

And if Tesla solves the autonomous driving, sky is the limit for share price.

Anyway, I think in the long term, TSLA has room to grow. Yes... probably won't be the 100x climb from IPO to now... but I expect a decent return too.

Right now, I think the market is too volatile and there'd likely be some profit taking after the split (record date is today, but new price is not until 08/31). Maybe keep an eye on it and if after 08/31 and prior to battery day (09/22 IIRC), there's a dip for profit taking, I'd probably get some shares by then as the battery day suppose to bring some mind blowing stuff.

I'd mark this thread and revisit it if we ever reach 2050 again post-split (5x current valuation)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #10534
Say! Say! Say!

XPENG has its IPO tomorrow. Chinese Tesla backed by Alibaba.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #10535
My homepage has been set to RS

I was thinking of buying Tesla and Microsoft last year - ended up putting it into Index funds instead. I am so risk adverse. Boo.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #10536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
think it's worth a buy?

i bought bigC ipo and made so much off of it! more than 100% gains lol
Old 08-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #10537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Got in at $23

I値l hunt you down if I知 not a millionaire in a month
Old 08-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #10538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Got in at $23

overpriced if you asked me. i still have quite a bit of shares in nio though.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #10539
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Got in at $23

I was thinking of buying it, but then it opened so high and I hesitated.

If I bought it, I was going to eventually sell it later today or tomorrow for a quick play, but not sure that's possible based on price movement I've seen today.

I'm expecting it to drop next week to $18.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #10540

Mine is just a small position looking at more of a longer term hold but the more I read into it the less appealing it seems lol
Old 08-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #10541

Quote:
Mine is just a small position looking at more of a longer term hold but the more I read into it the less appealing it seems lol
It shouldn't be worth more than nio if you ask me. So yes, I also think it'll drop to $18ish by next week. I'd pump and dump this one but even then It's not gaining on its first day to the public.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #10542

IMO XPEV is only worth a speculating play, but if you are in for long term, you should recheck your research.

They claimed out loud that US upcoming requirement for double auditing (until now, Chinese companies listed in US can choose not to have their result audited by US auditors) might impact the share price. I don't find that very reassuring.

And if I learned a thing or two about good company to invest in, is that always pick those who has a principle on the way they do business.

You can outsmart and outplay your competitors by any legal means... but as soon as you willing to get into grey areas like IP stealing from employees poaching and other quasi-illegal stuff (as not proven in court yet), there's no line they aren't willing to cross.

So I avoid any of those companies (last example I can remember was Uber) because there isn't likely money to be made in the long term, and I'm a long investor.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:47 PM   #10543
I subscribe to Revscene

Not a stock picker but my index funds are back to pre covid levels...
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:18 PM   #10544

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post
Not a stock picker but my index funds are back to pre covid levels...
the best financial thing i ever did in my life was to get rid of my tfsa mutual funds and open my tfsa direct investment account. at first i was leaning towards etfs and index funds but my frd told me individual stocks are currently better and ive been really lucky to have chosen the correct few which gave me good gains.

still a lot for me to learn but i have most of my high earning stocks on auto stop market in case it crashes so i'm still left with profit if for some reason it crashed while i was sleeping or away.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:15 AM   #10545

Something I learned recently: diversification=deworsification.
Warren Buffett once said that diversification is a protection against ignorance.

But when one finds a great business that can successfully grow itself, you should put as much money into it as your budget allows you base on risk assessment.
While there is nothing wrong with having a diversified portfolio in general, I'd suggest to invest in yourself with some books that really teachs you how to analyze a business on a value proposition.

And instead of investing in index funds, invest in a portfolio of value stocks that consists of different market segment... say a portion on general consumables, transportation/utilities for stability, and then with another portion in growth stocks.

A small tip I do myself:
I use cash account for stability stocks, and use TFSA for growth stocks.

Usually that's against the general consensus as stability stocks means dividend and steady growth, and they become taxable in cash account.

But take my TSLA holding in TFSA for example. It has grown about 200%. And I expect it to continue growing in the foreseeable future. Say if I had 15k in it, and by the time I actually sell in 20yrs, it becomes 165k, based on my tax bracket by then, I'd be looking (150k*0.5)*0.29=roughly 22k in tax saving.

If I had same 15k of stability stock in TFSA with a decent 5% dividend payment and grows to 50k... I'd have only saved ~4350(dividend)+~5000 in taxes.

Numers are rough and rate chosen for simplicity sake, but you get the idea.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:55 AM   #10546
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
After this past quarterly earnings report, TSLA is eligible for inclusion in the 500, but the Board of Governors of the 500 have not announced if and when TSLA will be added. True, however, TSLA is the largest capitalized company NOT to be in the the SP1500 (yes SP 1500), but should be next on the list to gain entry.

If TSLA is added soon, then the betting is that it will be announced at the end of next week (9/11/20), and actually added on the final Friday of September. The more the betting intensifies about inclusion in the SP500, the more likely big institutions front-run the announcement, driving the stock higher, which prompts the question, really, how much higher at this point?

Crazy to think that The Street could run TSLA to Mars faster than a Spacex rocket!

In any case, stay tuned in the next 10 days for smoke about TSLA and its inclusion in the SP500.
thought i'd share.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:01 AM   #10547
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
TSLA prices driven by speculation and option chain gambling? Shocking news lol.

Anybody else starting to hear a lot of non investor, first time trader going crazy over aapl and TSLA post split?
The janitor at our company has made 50%+ on this TSLA investment, he has no idea what he is doing nor have any idea on the fundamental.
He's about to dump all his saving into more TSLA.

starting the get the "bubble about to burst" vibe.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #10548

That Zoom jump today
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #10549

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
TSLA prices driven by speculation and option chain gambling? Shocking news lol.

Anybody else starting to hear a lot of non investor, first time trader going crazy over aapl and TSLA post split?
The janitor at our company has made 50%+ on this TSLA investment, he has no idea what he is doing nor have any idea on the fundamental.
He's about to dump all his saving into more TSLA.

starting the get the "bubble about to burst" vibe.
Feels like everyone read somewhere that post split = mooooon and people dived in. Doesn't help that tsla and aapl were both retail favourites to begin with

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #10550
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Feels like everyone read somewhere that post split = mooooon and people dived in. Doesn't help that tsla and aapl were both retail favourites to begin with
can't blame them. The purpose of the split is to attract retail investor, most of whom can't wrap their head around valuation.

This is also a great spot for institutions to dump their long time holding on to the retail players. the only role retail investor serve in this great game of stock market is to provide liquidity for the big boys.

Market might be bullish in the near term but wouldn't be surprise if we see 20-30%+ flash dump/correction in the not so far future

Last edited by threezero; 09-01-2020 at 12:48 PM.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: