REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #26
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

are you sure u don't want to wait a bit longer?
cuz hmmm...other than the evo X, the ralliart edition is coming out next year too...
but either way, the GTS is still a good car for that price! good luck with the trade-in!
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2007, 01:42 AM   #27
I am Hook'd on RS

@enrai:

The car is coming tommorow...Can't wait....But instead of black I think it's gonna be White...

Well I'm happy w/ either...They offered me Red but I don't want it...lol
volcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

im going to revive this super old thread rather than creating a new one.

Has anyone ever dealt or have knowledge of a trade-in with more value than the car your purchasing? for example: you own a 2009 BMW M3 probably worth $40,000+ and the car your looking to purchase is, oh say... a 2008 Honda Fit going for $16,000+. how will the dealers work the numbers on that? i know they are lowballers but even that must have its limits. it'd be pretty stupid of the dealers to offer you a way lower price on a mint luxury sedan over a compact sedan.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
give me 2 seconds and I'll tell you what your car is worth. Not every dealer will go for a trade with cash on their end, but some do...

edit: nvm, I thought you actually owned a 2009 m3. But they woudl work the numbers the same way they would if it was the opposite. They give you roughly book value for your trade if it's mint, and you woudl work on the price of the new car together.

There are a lot of misconceptions in this thread wow.... the reason the dealers don't give you ten grand for your trade, is because we don't want your piece of crap anyway. Peopel trading in a vehicle lie a lot more about their car than any dealership does. Depending on the car, a dealership would offer roughly 2-3 grand less than the going rate on craigslist/buysell etc. This 2-3 grand covers an inspection, re conditioning, and small problems (tires, glass etc), cost to advertise, cost to pay employees to try and sell it, as well as a bit of wiggle room for people who haggle. At the end of the day, its rare to make much money on a trade anyway. Plus there is ZERO remorse. If you lie about your car being accident free, and upon further inspection we find it had a 5 grand hit at the front, nothign we can do. However if the opposite were true, and your new car had a hit on it, you could sue our asses.

If you don't like what we offer you for your trade, sell it privately then, I'm sure you'll have similar offers anyway and you can spend all your time dealing with time wasters.

Last edited by Jgresch; 07-16-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #30

im just speaking in general. im not looking to trade my car in for anything lower but then there are cases where people have thought about trading in their luxury or high end car for something more simple for various reasons. I just want to know if dealers do anything about it or simply just brush it off and say, "no we cannot do that"
Old 07-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #31

see above, i edited. Yes dealers will do that, but not in every case
Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions in this thread wow.... the reason the dealers don't give you ten grand for your trade, is because we don't want your piece of crap anyway. Peopel trading in a vehicle lie a lot more about their car than any dealership does. Depending on the car, a dealership would offer roughly 2-3 grand less than the going rate on craigslist/buysell etc. This 2-3 grand covers an inspection, re conditioning, and small problems (tires, glass etc), cost to advertise, cost to pay employees to try and sell it, as well as a bit of wiggle room for people who haggle. At the end of the day, its rare to make much money on a trade anyway. Plus there is ZERO remorse. If you lie about your car being accident free, and upon further inspection we find it had a 5 grand hit at the front, nothign we can do. However if the opposite were true, and your new car had a hit on it, you could sue our asses.

If you don't like what we offer you for your trade, sell it privately then, I'm sure you'll have similar offers anyway and you can spend all your time dealing with time wasters.

i hate dealerships as much as most people here but this explanation here is very valid and i have to agree with why dealerships tend to "negotiate" a lower price on your car that most people assume is a lowball.
they are compensating the expense to accept your car just as you are compensating your expenses when buying a car. they haggle for lower value on your car just as we haggle a lower price on their cars. They are trying to save their asses in case of a lemon just as we try to save ours from buying a lemon.
The way i see it, we are no different from a dealer. the only thing different really is they do a better job of negotiating and doing their homework.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #33

and honestly, when it comes down to it, both parties have the option of just saying no. I've turned down a lot of trades and people get upset....just because we are the dealer, doesn't mean we HAVE to buy your car. Before buying a new car the customer always gives it a ton of thought, test drive, inspection etc etc, the dealership does the same thing.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #34

what dealership do you work Jgresch?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #35

The failure of a Suzuki dealership called Jim pattison....

Only until August though, I'm being trasnferred cuz it's closing.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #36
RS controls my life!

Burrard Honda offered me $11k for my 2003 local S2000 (White) w/ no accidents. I was going to trade it in for a sedan for the family as I don't drive much anymore.

The whole sales team gathered around CL and looked up some abused AJR car that was leased by some korean kid and made shit up about oh it's Vivian Lai's son's car we can get it for $12k *wink wink*

I told them to fuck themselves and I sold it for $18k the first week it felt like summer.

Last weekend I went back with cash to lowball them on their Acura TL and the sales manager offered me a job, I told him I can do a better job than his sales force posting on CL while sitting on the shitter. Not shitting you
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #37
RS controls my life!

Moral of the story is - private sale is the way to go.

Failing that, sketch dealerships on Kingsway can take your car for better price than most dealerships (think lower overhead costs) not to mention if its RSX/Integra/Tiburon/S2k or any remotely exciting sports coupe chances are they know some kid will walk in next weekend and buy it - so they'd pick it up for a small premium.

Only time you'd get reasonable value at dealership is if you trade in and get another car. Maybe you'd get a small break on the new purchase price, but never on the trade in value.
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #38
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
People trading in a vehicle lie a lot more about their car than any dealership does. Depending on the car, a dealership would offer roughly 2-3 grand less than the going rate on craigslist/buysell etc. This 2-3 grand covers an inspection, re conditioning, and small problems (tires, glass etc), cost to advertise, cost to pay employees to try and sell it, as well as a bit of wiggle room for people who haggle. At the end of the day, its rare to make much money on a trade anyway. Plus there is ZERO remorse. If you lie about your car being accident free, and upon further inspection we find it had a 5 grand hit at the front, nothign we can do. However if the opposite were true, and your new car had a hit on it, you could sue our asses.

100% true.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #39
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Moral of the story is - private sale is the way to go.

Failing that, sketch dealerships on Kingsway can take your car for better price than most dealerships (think lower overhead costs) not to mention if its RSX/Integra/Tiburon/S2k or any remotely exciting sports coupe chances are they know some kid will walk in next weekend and buy it - so they'd pick it up for a small premium.

Only time you'd get reasonable value at dealership is if you trade in and get another car. Maybe you'd get a small break on the new purchase price, but never on the trade in value.
First of all, if you are just trying to unload a car, and not trying to buy something to replace it with - the dealer should be your last resort.

If you are trying to trade in your car - you may be better off to trade it in, than to sell privately. With the current recycle your ride program we have going, my friend bought a new F150 and got $3000 for his '92 Jetta with 312,000km that was AT MOST worth $100 as a trade. I have another friend who bought a used F150 for $22,000, and traded in their Honda Element for $10,000. They only paid tax on the difference, so it was like getting $11,200 for their trade. (They were trying to sell it for $12,000 privately, so they were actually SUPER HAPPY to get $10,000 ($11,200w/ tax savings) for it at the dealership!!)

The only time it sucks to trade-in is when there is ZERO wiggle room on the price of the new vehicle, no incentives from the dealer, and we have to offer rock bottom wholesale blackbook on the trade. But even then, at least you get a tax break.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #40

Dealers are in it to make money, not give money away. Trading cars in is stupid if you want your money out of the car. It is purely there for convenience.

If you want what your car is actually worth RETAIL then sell it private.

Last edited by falcon; 07-18-2010 at 09:56 PM.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #41

Oh... and go at night. That is the magical trick to getting the most from your trade. Also... park as far away from the showroom as possible. Last time my buddy traded a car in, it had a big dent in the drivers door. He parked with the dent facing away from the showroom and at the end of the lot. The sales guy didn't even walk out to the car because he didn't feel like getting some exercise.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote