REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Best Pho Restaurants (https://www.revscene.net/forums/508294-best-pho-restaurants.html)

Gh0stRider 12-19-2007 07:32 AM

BAO CHAO - good viet subs

HOTSHOTKEN 12-19-2007 08:04 AM

pnom penh doesn't open that late ...

i tried asian 54 on Kingsway & Royal Oak ... portions there are 1 size but they're big enough. Quite good.

Another 24hr location would be Gold Train on Kingsway & Joyce. I find it better than the lame Pho Hoang (?) chain

Meowjin 12-19-2007 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TRD604
BAO CHAO - good viet subs
They don't make subs anymore :(

Pho Asia Cafe (near bobs submarine) in richmond probably makes the best...

brokentelephone 12-19-2007 02:20 PM

Went to Pho Le today on main near keefer and pander...

good noodles/meat, but the broth was way too salty/msg/spiced. wouldn't go back but was mediocre.

bcrdukes 12-19-2007 04:17 PM

I was there today as well. Had to guzzle a litre of water. :(

kaizen604 12-19-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by azndude69
any body know a pho place that gives u a BIG ass portion. i eat like a pig and the pho never makes me full. even the large doesnt do anything?

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

Rock a large bowl with a minced pork roll or a salad roll on the side.

usually does the trick for me

Gh0stRider 12-19-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bcrdukes
Pho Hong - the girls there are hot. :)
damn rights!!! I live 5 mins away too...woohoo lol

Quote:

Originally posted by MajinHurricane
They don't make subs anymore :(

Oh really? when did they stop making them? :(

Alphamale 12-19-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HOTSHOTKEN
pnom penh doesn't open that late ...

i tried asian 54 on Kingsway & Royal Oak ... portions there are 1 size but they're big enough. Quite good.

Another 24hr location would be Gold Train on Kingsway & Joyce. I find it better than the lame Pho Hoang (?) chain

I was gonna try out the Asia 54 after you said it was good. Then you said the pho joint @ kingsway and joyce was good. Now, I question your taste.

miss_crayon 12-19-2007 10:26 PM

wait okay so..which of these places are 24 hours? that also serves banh mi.

COME ON PEOPLE. i know i can depend on you!

willystyle 12-20-2007 12:12 AM

none thus far!

bcrdukes 12-20-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alphamale
I was gonna try out the Asia 54 after you said it was good. Then you said the pho joint @ kingsway and joyce was good. Now, I question your taste.
:lol I was thinking, "WTF?!" :rofl:

Meowjin 12-20-2007 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by miss_crayon
wait okay so..which of these places are 24 hours? that also serves banh mi.

COME ON PEOPLE. i know i can depend on you!

why would you want stale day old bread?

HOTSHOTKEN 12-20-2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alphamale
learn to read ... i said Asian 54 was good, but I was also commenting on the 24hr late night joints. Gold Train sucks but it's heck of a lot better than Pho Hoang at 4am in the morning

achiam 12-20-2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HOTSHOTKEN

That place stank of raw meat and had flies hovering all over their neon lights. I thought things couldn't get any worse until these hookers (fat ones at that) decided to stand right outside the window 1 foot away from me.

HOTSHOTKEN 12-20-2007 09:21 AM

^^^ hey, that goes with the territory!! ;) What did you expect? haha...

i tend to grab takeout from them more now ... $7.50 for a lemon grass chicken and i'm out of there within 5 minutes. One time the old guy charged me $8 for it and I think I got more chicken & rice.

Again, good to satisfy the craving late at night, but this is not a place to admire the ambiance.

HOTSHOTKEN 12-20-2007 10:06 AM

^^^ hey, that goes with the territory!! ;) What did you expect? haha...

i tend to grab takeout from them more now ... $7.50 for a lemon grass chicken and i'm out of there within 5 minutes. One time the old guy charged me $8 for it and I think I got more chicken & rice.

Again, good to satisfy the craving late at night, but this is not a place to admire the ambiance.

Blinky 12-21-2007 03:00 PM

Not pho, but Phnom Pehn is easily my favourite Vietnamese/Cambodian place. I've been going there for ... gosh... more years than I'm willing to admit to ;)

Pho Van as mentioned is a good place. When I'm there though, I typically order the dry rice vermicelli with pork, spring rolls and veggies. I swear, it's an infinite bowl of food. Hits the spot when I don't want to be weighed down by salty broth.

Nobody has mentioned Buu Dien near Rupert and First, across the street from Blockbuster Video. Good subs - their grilled pork sub is, IMO, definitely worth killing for. About 5 years ago, Buu Dien had a killer sandwich shop at a stripmall on Fraser and 18th or so. Before it burned down, it rocked something fierce to the tune of 4 or 5 subs for $10! The subs at the Rupert location are still good but no longer as cheap.

bcrdukes 12-21-2007 03:46 PM

^
I think it's Renfrew, not Rupert. :)

I go there sometimes myself but it's been a while. From what I can recall, their food is pretty good too!

Alphamale 12-21-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blinky
Not pho, but Phnom Pehn is easily my favourite Vietnamese/Cambodian place. I've been going there for ... gosh... more years than I'm willing to admit to ;)

Pho Van as mentioned is a good place. When I'm there though, I typically order the dry rice vermicelli with pork, spring rolls and veggies. I swear, it's an infinite bowl of food. Hits the spot when I don't want to be weighed down by salty broth.

Nobody has mentioned Buu Dien near Rupert and First, across the street from Blockbuster Video. Good subs - their grilled pork sub is, IMO, definitely worth killing for. About 5 years ago, Buu Dien had a killer sandwich shop at a stripmall on Fraser and 18th or so. Before it burned down, it rocked something fierce to the tune of 4 or 5 subs for $10! The subs at the Rupert location are still good but no longer as cheap.

I don't think that place is very good. The subs are not that good at all. Food is mediocre. I am a bit harsh though. I would only recommend places that I have 100% faith in that the person would like. I was recommeded to go to this place based on their subs and their food, but when I went there everything sucked, including the service.

rymack 12-21-2007 07:37 PM

my chau (sp?) on kingsway near victoria...great chicken pho..
le do for regular pho

bcrdukes 12-22-2007 11:53 PM

I'm heading down to San Francisco and Los Angeles tomorrow. I'm going to try some pho at various locations and see if there are significant differences. :)

k20a 12-23-2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bcrdukes
I'm heading down to San Francisco and Los Angeles tomorrow. I'm going to try some pho at various locations and see if there are significant differences. :)
Lolll, aren't you suppose to be in Montreal??

bcrdukes 12-23-2007 12:49 AM

^
.......yes. :D

k20a 12-23-2007 12:56 AM

Any good places IN Montreal? lawl

bcrdukes 12-24-2007 11:35 AM

Okay, I just had a huge bowl (unintentionally) of pho just an hour ago in San Fran. I'll start a new thread with pics and a review later on.