REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Best Pho Restaurants (https://www.revscene.net/forums/508294-best-pho-restaurants.html)

b-dub 12-16-2007 03:37 AM

Best Pho Restaurants
 
Since there was a 'Best Taiwanese Noodle House' I thought we would have a best pho restaurant too.


Hoang?? on Main and 18th..

Pho isn't that great, but it's the best viet food ever, Phnom Penh, chinatown

bcrdukes 12-16-2007 03:50 AM

I don't think Phnom Penh ever really served real "pho" so to say. Ulic and I were really desperate one time and decided to hit up that joint. Boy, we were ever disappointed!

Back on topic however, I personally like Pho Le Do on East Hastings just off Nanaimo and Le Petit Saigon on East Hastings just off Slocan, to be the best pho restaurants in East Vancouver. I haven't explored anywhere else outside of Vancouver and even if I have, never found any to be as good as the two I've mentioned. Pho Tai Son is okay. I used to like it but it came off my list not long ago.

Alphamale 12-16-2007 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bcrdukes
I don't think Phnom Penh ever really served real "pho" so to say. Ulic and I were really desperate one time and decided to hit up that joint. Boy, we were ever disappointed!

Back on topic however, I personally like Pho Le Do on East Hastings just off Nanaimo and Le Petit Saigon on East Hastings just off Slocan, to be the best pho restaurants in East Vancouver. I haven't explored anywhere else outside of Vancouver and even if I have, never found any to be as good as the two I've mentioned. Pho Tai Son is okay. I used to like it but it came off my list not long ago.

Shiet, Phnom Penh doesn't really serve pho, but fuck their food is good.

Le Petit Saigon just recently got sold off to some new owners and now it sucks donkey balls. (You're talking about the one that is close to PNE, right?) If it was still the old owners, omg, they place was the shit for your beef noodle cravings. Good quality soup + meats. Since my dad knows the owners, they'd always hook it up in the bun bo hue with extra tendons and pigs feet.

I haven't really been anywhere else that's been good that I would recommend 100%.

bcrdukes 12-16-2007 04:43 AM

^
I noticed they renovated and the new owners don't take as much pride in their food and they don't have quite the personal encounter with regular customers as with the previous owners. Although the quality in food has degraded slightly, it's still one of my favourites. But yeah, like you mentioned, the quality of their broth and meats were top-notch in my opinion. :)

Ulic Qel-Droma 12-16-2007 05:02 AM

since i only eat pho late at night, when everything is closed. cambie and broadway is the only place open. i swear they put crack in their pho, cuz i'm always fucking wide awake after.

willystyle 12-16-2007 05:16 AM

Yah, I kind of miss seeing Peter and his fam taking orders and making food for my friends and I to eat.. I must say though, the food quality has stayed pretty consistent..

achiam 12-16-2007 05:21 AM

Personally, I find that the following are outstanding:

Pho Van on Fraser/14th; very consistent flavor with well marbled meat.

Kim Phung on Victoria/41st; slow service as very small restaurant but very consistent broth and noodles

Bao Chao on E Hastings near PNE; the spring rolls are amazingly consistent.

Pho Tam in Surrey near King George station; possibly the best and most pure broth I've ever had.

Pho Viet on Ackroyd behind Nando's chicken; my high school buddies and I went here everyday in High School, still very good meat.

Pho Lan across from Richmond City Hall on No 3/Granville, noodles have a strange texture, may not be to everyone's liking.

I feel I should mention however, that San Francisco's Pho kills Vancouver's Pho.
I thought I knew everything about Pho until my friends in SF asked me if I wanted to go for Northern or Southern Pho and I had no idea what they were talking about. True story.

"Southern Pho"
http://dafoozeking4.googlepages.com/IMG_0698small.jpg

"Northern Pho"
http://dafoozeking4.googlepages.com/phosmall.jpg

willystyle 12-16-2007 05:26 AM

^ If you think the spring rolls at Bao Chau tastes good, you should try the ones down the block at Le Petit Saigon. It's much better, imo.

Meowjin 12-16-2007 07:18 AM

Le petit Saigon Sucks.

Bao chao is so much more better.

They only served good duck.

Ronin 12-16-2007 08:56 AM

Pho Lan in Richmond, by far.

Phnom Phen is the shit. They have the best fried chicken wings and...uh...beef carpacio? I've never had soup noodles their but their special dry noodles are awesome.

Vansterdam 12-16-2007 11:40 AM

^ gotta agree with ronin on that one. chicken wings fucken rock.

gotta also agree on

Kim Phung on Victoria/41st;
pho tam by surrey central

and pho tau bay in surrey

the portion of bbq/springroll/noodle dish at pho van is nig and delicious

miss_crayon 12-16-2007 12:12 PM

thai son for me!



mmmm too bad they don't serve banh mi there.

achiam 12-16-2007 12:14 PM

Where is Le Petit Saigon? Googling seems to turn up two, one in Coquitlam?

$_$ 12-16-2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Pho Viet on Ackroyd behind Nando's chicken; my high school buddies and I went here everyday in High School, still very good meat.
QFT

always eaten there, always will

bcrdukes 12-16-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by achiam
Where is Le Petit Saigon? Googling seems to turn up two, one in Coquitlam?
I think I may have spelt it wrong which is why you're getting bad results. I think it's spelt "Le Petite Saigon." I may be wrong. It's on East Hastings just west of Renfrew between Kaslo and Slocan. You'll see it just west of the Burger King on the same block as the Starbucks.

I haven't been to Kim Phung in a long time but their pho is good. Thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that place. As for Bao Chau, I personally don't think it's that good. Compared to Le Petite Saigon, I always have to chug down endless glasses of water and their spring rolls aren't even that great to be really honest. Pho Van - a Vancouver institution. It's too bad Mr. Van sold the one in Chinatown. I grew up in Chinatown so my parents would take me to Pho Van every now and then. The only one he has left is the one on Fraser.

achiam: Damn, that looks really good! :) You mentioned that was southern style pho. What was different about it? Judging by the picture, I was under the impression that any typical place in Vancouver served southern pho which is your first picture. I was told that Kim Phung served so-called southern style where the broth is a little heavier on the spices and is darker in complexion but judging by your photos, it looks like it's the opposite? When I was in Paris, I had pho in Saint Lazare and the family that ran the joint was from southern Vietnam and that's what it looked like (your picture of northern pho.)

I guess it's time to go out and to find out for myself. :)

k20a 12-16-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ulic Qel-Droma
since i only eat pho late at night, when everything is closed. cambie and broadway is the only place open. i swear they put crack in their pho, cuz i'm always fucking wide awake after.
THIS PLACE HAS XL PHO FTW!!!

K-Dub 12-16-2007 02:04 PM

pho van is my fav.

thai sons pretty good too, they have one on broadway and one ..in richmond somewhere?

xim phen xue le on cambie and broadway, xl pho, cheap. 24 hr, well sort of. they're open till lke 5am, so almost bascially 24hr..

k20a 12-16-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kwazy
pho van is my fav.

thai sons pretty good too, they have one on broadway and one ..in richmond somewhere?

xim phen xue le on cambie and broadway, xl pho, cheap. 24 hr, well sort of. they're open till lke 5am, so almost bascially 24hr..

Thai Son - Richmond Landsdowne, Vancouver Broadway/ (before Main ST) / 1st and Renfew / (on the top floor near T&T)

Gh0stRider 12-16-2007 04:45 PM

damn...i want pho now!!

miss_crayon 12-16-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by k20a
Thai Son - Richmond Landsdowne, Vancouver Broadway/ (before Main ST) / 1st and Renfew / (on the top floor near T&T)
and one on north road next to ddoo gau bee (korean restaurant)

kaizen604 12-16-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vansterdam

Kim Phung on Victoria/41st;
pho tam by surrey central


my two hot spots

True.True 12-16-2007 11:19 PM

holy hell, i go into to this thread, and now im leavingto eat pho

MrGoodbar 12-17-2007 12:03 AM

au petite cafe. main and about 32nd across from duffins. place serves up curry pho. can't beat it

willystyle 12-17-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MrGoodbar
au petite cafe. main and about 32nd across from duffins. place serves up curry pho. can't beat it
That place is small and always jam-packed. It makes me not want to go there.

Meowjin 12-17-2007 12:07 AM

Phenom Phem is awesome. love their beef with fried egg


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net