REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #51
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marco911
Why not? If you have gasoline in your veins, and you remember the air-cooled cars of yore, the smell of oil brings good memories.
In an air-cooled or classic car... sure. In a modern car crammed with technology that you just paid $150,000 for.... no. It'll make you think there's something wrong.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Hardly consequential. That guy is a downright shitty driver; I didn't see him hit a single apex in the Porsche the entire time. Maybe it's good to show what car's faster in the layman's hands, but it's far from the definitive result.

Oh, and anyone that thinks that a DSG isn't an automatic needs to check for testicle attendance. If it doesn't have a clutch pedal, it's an automatic.

Through the mud and the blood to the green field beyond.
Faugh A'Ballaugh.

Last edited by 1983 Z28; 02-21-2008 at 08:19 AM.
1983 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #53
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
That's too simplistic. Passion = Anything that stimulates the senses in a GOOD way.

We have five sense:

Sight - Porsche just looks damn sexy. Better quality materials fitted throughout (advantage Porsche).

Smell - Porsche uses better leathers and pays very close attention to the dyeing process. You get a very high quality smell, and with the engine in the back and all the oil leaks, you sometimes get a whiff of engine oil. (advantage Porsche)

Touch - Porsche arguably has more road-feel, firmer controls, nicer materials. Seat-of-the-pants, you have to work to drive a 911 at its limits (not much effort required just to drive one fast), whereas the GTR is easier to drive around its limits. I think the 911 would be more stimulating and produce more adrenalin. The Z06/Viper excels at this because it has so much torque, the acceleration alone is a rush.

Sound - Sound of the flat-6 is intoxicating. Then again, the GTR also does sound pretty mean.

Taste - Buying a Nissan is just tasteless ;P
not biased at all.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #54
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

interesting watch good to see that nissan can at least deliver on what they proclaimed possible.

As for the car sliding around I did find that a bit odd for trying to set a fast lap time.. but apparently the driver of the 997tt has set the fastest laptime on that course in a 997tt before. Of course I haven't looked in depth to that claim so its pretty inconsequential.

All in all I thought the video was pretty interesting abeit a bit biased as not as many people would want to buy a CAR magazine that says Porsche 911tt is still faster!

As its been previously stated the GTR is to the 911tt as the 911tt is the the f430 and higher up exotics. But since the GTR is more in my price range if I ever want to throw caution to the wind that'd be what I'm putting my money down on.

edit: did anyone notice they had the whole "it was a wet track" qualifier again? Its like the GTR is the harbringer of laptime stifiling acts of God.

Last edited by turbomelon; 02-21-2008 at 11:50 AM.
turbomelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #55
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

the gtr does outperform the 911 but unless you go tracking every week... i don't see why ppl would pick up a gtr if they can afford a porsche. esp here in vancouver.

At the end of the day, would you rather be driving home a porsche or a nissan?
AhXian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #56

To confound image based douches like you I'd buy the Nissan.

I absolutely hate this badge whoring bullshit. Especially in vancouver with all the insecure pseudo automotive enthusiasts that purchase cars based on brand name rather than their merits. For everyone 5 people that would buy a 911tt just for the image I'm sure that there will be 1 that will get the GTR just to piss people like you off.

Having said that I'm sure there actually exist 911tt owners that bought their car because its actually a well built machine that has incredible performance all the time. Not what car will cause the neighbors to go "ooo look what he's driving home", and cause girls to turn up the whore for some sugar daddy action.

case and point: you drive an x3. Why don't you go get mom to buy you a b200 and a c230 kompressor while you're at it.

Last edited by turbomelon; 02-21-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #57
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

badges and names are earned

probably just like how ppl in jail don't earn their name "choker" by dropping their soap all the time

and trust me: crazy ppl DO CARE what brand handbag/accessory u have. and if that crazy person is ur boss, u better buy the porsce over the nissan

...i hope that makes sense... (o____o)..

"LAGOS - Police in Nigeria are holding a goat on suspicion of attempted armed robbery"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
so instead of teaching retarded monkeys not to cross the yellow line

give them a book and a bannana. the retarded monkey now becomes a smart banana
Chopstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #58

I am sure badges are earned.

Its an implicit trust but not a blind trust. Believe me if hell froze over and Porsche ever released a front wheel drive car with 110 hp and marketed it as the next hot thing in performance coupes any automotive enthusiast would be livid.

Porsche after decades of automotive excellence has earned their reputation by producing quality cars. But what Ahxian and a new generation of kids are showcasing is nothing more than idiotic badgewhoring. Which is why there are so many b-classes,x3's and all those poseur cars on the streets today and why some manufacturers can get away with producing junk.

What I am pissed about is people who just blindly follow brands without actually even considering the merits of whatever they are purchasing.

Don't get me wrong I have lusted after the 911 turbo for as long as I can remember, however, I never considered the car as an accessory for picking up chicks or getting corporate head.

Of course there are a number of people in this world who are primarily about image such as people who swear on the vast superiority of Apple products, but I'm just expressing my belief that cars should be evaluated without considering asinine 'qualities' like impressing the neighbors and attracting the jailbaits.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #59

"badge whoring bullshit" is part of the real world, live with it. Even my 96 years old grandma knows porsche > nissan.

why do you think ppl buy LV/Gucci/Prada clothing, bags, accesories. Do you really think they brought it because it was "better quality" and was well made compare to clothing brought at costco?

When not on track, what is the difference between a gtr and a altima going 60 down knight street?

If u let me pick between a porsche and a nissan, average people like me who drive a car only for going from home to work, would pick the porsche.

im not bashing the gtr, i think its a great car on the track and the car is a mod heaven with unlimited potential.

and fyi i drove x3 a year ago, i drive a s2k now. and it doesn't make me feel any better even when i can outrun a 335.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally posted by turbomelon
What I am pissed about is people who just blindly follow brands without actually even considering the merits of whatever they are purchasing.
damm right!!!
don't worry - ppl in b classes and hummer h3s produce entertainment for smart ppl.

"LAGOS - Police in Nigeria are holding a goat on suspicion of attempted armed robbery"

Quote:

Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #61
Need to Seek Professional Help

Funny... more like ZR1>GTR>911tt

Chevy has got them all beat.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally posted by 1983 Z28
Oh, and anyone that thinks that a DSG isn't an automatic needs to check for testicle attendance. If it doesn't have a clutch pedal, it's an automatic.
omg yes!~~ word!!!~~

lock it up~~~
o(o__o)=oo=(@____@)o!!!!!

Quote:

Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #63
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1983 Z28
Isn't the fundamental difference between an automatic and a manual transmission the fact that the former uses torque converters and the latter uses clutches? Never mind the electronic systems that control them. Is it not true?
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #64
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally posted by Lomac
I think you missed his point. It's not a matter of what you can afford to buy. Instead, if you're looking at a certain price range, you're likely not going to consider a considerably cheaper car. If you're in the market for an M3/RS4, you're not going to look at the Civic Type R or GTI. It's the same for exotics. If you're considering an F430 or Murciélago, you're likely not going to consider a 911 C2S. That is what Dangonay was trying to say.

Well my point was that people who buy exotic cars don't price shop. They're not thinking "I have $350K to spend on a car." They want a particular car and they buy it, for whatever reason. While a Lambo owner may not decide on a C2, he could purchase a GT2 or a CGT. If you want a Ferrari or a Lambo, it's likely to be something like the 5th car in your garage. For most wealthy people that decide that 2-3 cars are enough, they'd usually buy a Porsche over every other sports car because the Porsche is for more practical.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally posted by Alphamale
Isn't the fundamental difference between an automatic and a manual transmission the fact that the former uses torque converters and the latter uses clutches? Never mind the electronic systems that control them. Is it not true?

Technically, yes. However, any transmission that can shift for the driver could be considered an automatic.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally posted by Blinky
[B] Whoa. This is a bit much, even for Marco.

There is so much fundamentally "wrong" with the 911. Don't get me wrong -- I love the thing and would probably buy one in a heartbeat. However:

- its engine is in the wrong place.
- it uses MacStruts in front.

Decades of refinement have made it a damn impressive vehicle, but here are two things, at least, that are just plain "wrong" when it comes to building "the best sports car".

Why can't you get a cayman with more power and an LSD? Because fundamentally it's a better platform than a 911.

Why did Porsche go with a race car suspension and midengine on the CGT? It's fundamentally better.
I said it was the best sports car, not the best performance vehicle. That was clearly an opinion.
For instance, I think the 3-Series is the best compact car.
Why? Both the 3-Series and the 911 are benchmarks in their respective class and for good reason.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally posted by turbomelon
To confound image based douches like you I'd buy the Nissan.

I absolutely hate this badge whoring bullshit. Especially in vancouver with all the insecure pseudo automotive enthusiasts that purchase cars based on brand name rather than their merits.
Based on MSRP, I would still purchase my C4S over the GTR, even if the GTR is a superior performing vehicle on paper. Why? If 99% of your time is spent on the streets, a regular 911 offers way more performance than you could use. There is always going to be a compromise between performance and streetability. Any way you look at it, the GTR just does not carry as good an image as a 911.

Last edited by Marco911; 02-21-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #68

Yeah its true the GTR doesn't have as rich of a heritage as the 911 but its nice to have more than one choice for someone with a somewhat limited budget.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #69
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
If 99% of your time is spent on the streets, a regular 911 offers way more performance than you could use. There is always going to be a compromise between performance and streetability.
Ummm,

GT-R Spec:

" 4-wheel independent suspension with Bilstein® DampTronic system with three driver-selectable modes: Normal/Sport (for automatic electronic control of damping), Comfort (for maximum ride comfort), and R mode (engages maximum damping rate for high-performance cornering).
• Electronically controlled variable-rate shock absorbers. High-accuracy progressive-rate coil springs.
"

Does the porsche do that? (I'm just asking, I don't know if it does or it doesn't). If it doesn't, i'd say advantage GTR.

I like porsches as much as the next guy, but what you're spewing seems like crap to me.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 02-21-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #70
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
I like this picture

Looks like top notch build to me.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #71

i wonder what v-spec will be like.... faster than gt2??
Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally posted by Great68
Ummm,

GT-R Spec:

" 4-wheel independent suspension with Bilstein® DampTronic system with three driver-selectable modes: Normal/Sport (for automatic electronic control of damping), Comfort (for maximum ride comfort), and R mode (engages maximum damping rate for high-performance cornering).
• Electronically controlled variable-rate shock absorbers. High-accuracy progressive-rate coil springs.
"

Does the porsche do that? (I'm just asking, I don't know if it does or it doesn't). If it doesn't, i'd say advantage GTR.

I like porsches as much as the next guy, but what you're spewing seems like crap to me.

Bilstein is a German company and a supplier to Porsche. Yes, Porsche has the system - it's called Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM). I guess the Nissan engineers figured they couldn't engineer a better system so they just used the same system as in the 911.

If you think what I'm spewing is crap, why don't you challenge me on it?

Porsche's have much more street cred than the GTR.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #73
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I'm going to keep clutch pedal shifted cars just so the punkass kids that steal cars wont know how to drive them. One more deterent.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #74

I'd take the one that seats 4 comfortably and has more usuable trunk space.
Quote:
Originally posted by AhXian
the gtr does outperform the 911 but unless you go tracking every week... i don't see why ppl would pick up a gtr if they can afford a porsche. esp here in vancouver.

At the end of the day, would you rather be driving home a porsche or a nissan?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #75

Yeah but you'd also drive a boxster of a nissan because your a badge/name brand whore.
Quote:
Based on MSRP, I would still purchase my C4S over the GTR, even if the GTR is a superior performing vehicle on paper. Why? If 99% of your time is spent on the streets, a regular 911 offers way more performance than you could use. There is always going to be a compromise between performance and streetability. Any way you look at it, the GTR just does not carry as good an image as a 911.