REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 03-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

You Dropped Your Bike!

Just to start another bike chat.

You know that saying, "Everyone drops their bike..." or "...first bike." I want to hear everyones stories or thoughts on it.

When did you get this bike? Was it yours? Was it your first one? What bike was it and year? How bad was the drop? What did you do and/or what was your reaction? etc., TELL AWAY!
Advertisement

Last edited by msor; 03-14-2008 at 08:10 PM.
msor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

the only bike i have ever had on its side, was my old R6.... buddy i was with hit the ditch.. and in my haist, my foot slipped on some gravel and lost my footing.. .. just leaned it over on its side...

been lucky so far *knocks on wood

here i am today
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

ive been lucky so far. ive dropped my new gixxer 600 at a stand still after i did a wheelie. lucky there was no scratches. however, i let my buddy ride my bike and he dropped it while goin 5km. he gave it some nice scratches. w/e he paid for the damages. at the time my heart sunk and i was in awww.
Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
you don't know how to ride your bike if you never dropped it.
It's true that motorcycle school doesn't tell you all the things
you shouldn't do on a bike.

I am glad I dropped it at very low speed. Minor scratch only.
The sad thing is it was in front of a bunch of girls I know. super
embarrassing.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

i dropped mine when i forgot that my kick stand was up while i was removing the rear stand.... doh.....

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
dropped my first bike.
i was backing out of my carport into the back alley and while i was still rolling i went to kick the kickstand up with my left foot but my right foot slipped on some gravel and shot forward and i went down to the right.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
RS Veteran

i dropped your first bike too. and iceman's, and dirt rider's.

haha

u-turns gone bad
HyperREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The first and only time i dropped my bike was the day after i installed my frame sliders. i was so angry that it happened, that i gained instantaneous superstrength and quickly picked the bike up.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #9
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Dropped it at the gas station on the first day (slow speed ride + sharp 90 degree turn with my legs up on the pegs, idiotic), dropped it again on the same day (fixing the mirrors while going at 20-30km/h, idiotic), then lowsided it going around 20-30km/h... using the front brake while the front wheel is turned is a very bad idea. The first thought after the lowside was "OH SHIT this is going to be expensive..." the second thought was "ouch my knee hurts!" I was wearing jeans only while I have protective gear for all the other parts...

You will definitely drop it; but I don't regret dropping mine as I really learned what NOT to do the hard way. I find myself screwing up more during slow-speed ride.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:45 AM   #10
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
dropped my first bike when i was really young, it was the first time i rode without training wheels.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

was backing down a driveway, then hit uneven concrete and lost balance.. then layed it now, wasn't that bad.. second time was when i came to a stop.. put my foot down, knee gave out and down i went.. both time have been at a stand still or just rolling speed
Eternal_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #12

dropped mine doing a slow u-turn. i felt my bike leaning to one side and i was like "oh shit its gonna drop!" so i just jumped out of the bike and let it drop. couple of scratches and a sprained thumb but nothing serious.

on another note:
when ur bike drops while the engine is still running, what are u supposed to do? my engine was running at the time i dropped it and when i picked it up, it suddenly chugged then died. I tried to restart it a couple times but it had a hard time starting until my 4th try with a little throttle. also the oil indicator light is on.

Last edited by haymura; 03-17-2008 at 03:33 PM.
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by impactX
lowsided it going around 20-30km/h... using the front brake while the front wheel is turned is a very bad idea.
front wheel braking is used very often for corners. its called trail braking. done correctly you can turn in faster and therefore go through the corner faster than if u braked and THEN turned in.

the theory behind it is, if you keep the brakes on from the point before turn in and into the turn, it loads the front suspension keeping the bike "dipped down" so theres more force on the tire + pavement = more grip.

usually a front wheel brake applied mid corner leads to a highside. duno how u managed a low side, because the laws of physics will usually bring ur bike up and over the other side if u applied front brakes.

if u want to control it, expect that it will bring ur bike up during the corner, and fight it with more countersteer, using one finger to brake, u don't need alot of braking maybe ~5% is enough, remember you're just putting weight bias to the front.

its more for track and canyons though, not really street... but just don't stomp on ur rear mid corner.... that would really be a bitch.

Quote:
Originally posted by haymura
on another note:
when ur bike drops while the engine is still running, what are u supposed to do? my engine was running at the time i dropped it and when i picked it up, it suddenly chugged then died. I tried to restart it a couple times but it had a hard time starting until my 4th try with a little throttle. also the oil indicator light is on.
bike has a tip over sensor i believe, if u ever drop it and it doesn't auto matically shut off, reach for the kill switch asap. but i think most bikes shut off auto with tip over sensor.

engine light came on because of oil starvation, your bike was tipped over so al the oil isn't reaching the top of ur crankcase, guys who wheelie alot have the same problem, quick solutions is filling a quart or 2 more oil than prescribed. in ur case give it some time and the oil will settle back down to the pan.

feedback
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally posted by haymura
dropped mine doing a slow u-turn. i felt my bike leaning to one side and i was like "oh shit its gonna drop!" so i just jumped out of the bike and let it drop. couple of scratches and a sprained thumb but nothing serious.

on another note:
if your bike is carburated, when you dropped it, it floods the carbs...thats why it chugged and died and you couldn't start it up right away. if its FI..well, i dunno then, since i haven't dropped a FI bike...yet(knock on wood) but if its carburated, then you should hit the engine switch right away. as for my 2 drops, the first time was when i first got my ninja500, i got home, came to a stop...and brainfarted cause for some reason, i didn't put my foot down. quickly jumped off the bike and then gingerly layed it down. 2nd time was a u-turn on gravel road...same thing..jumped off and gingerly layed it down. so far no drops on my F4I(knock on wood again)

if you guys are doing a tight turn and don't want to drop your bike on low speed, then do what i do....i put pressure on the other foot peg, IE-right turn, then put pressure on left foot peg and vise versa. also, don't lean in the direction of your turn, instead, shift your upper body in the opposite direction, IE-right turn, shift upper body to the left. back at action(before PRS), i couldn't do a tight turn if my life depended on it. chris told me to try out these tricks and ever since, i've never had a problem doing tight turns
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by 6thGear.
if you guys are doing a tight turn and don't want to drop your bike on low speed, then do what i do....i put pressure on the other foot peg, IE-right turn, then put pressure on left foot peg and vise versa. also, don't lean in the direction of your turn, instead, shift your upper body in the opposite direction, IE-right turn, shift upper body to the left. back at action(before PRS), i couldn't do a tight turn if my life depended on it. chris told me to try out these tricks and ever since, i've never had a problem doing tight turns
known as counter body steering, steering the bike but keeping center of gravity up! very very good way to u turn, remember to not go so too slow, the slower u are the more tendency u have to drop the bike. i always have my clutch about 3/4 out, too fast pull it in, too slow let it out!

feedback
Old 03-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #16

^

thats probably why i dropped. i was making a slow u-turn and leaning to the direction i was going thinking that it will make my turn sharper. sure learned my lesson. got a sprain thumb cuz of that. lol!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #17
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
lets see some pictures!!

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

^^ yah lets see some pictures!! before and after =P
msor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #19
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
even tho your riding instructor and the MST instructor will both tell you otherwise, once you pass those tests, dont hesitate to keep your feet off the pegs and sort of help walk yourself around thru a slow Uturn if you feel uncomfortable. it might not look all pro, but picking your bike up in an intersection will look worse.

you dont always have to only have your left foot down while your stopped and put it back on the peg imediately after you start moving. comfort > style.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #20

yup...duck walk if you can, thats what i used to do when i first started.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #21

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Anyone notice? When you drop your bike, you suddenly have super strength to pick it back up, like with no effort at all.

I dropped my kawi ninja 250 once when I first started biking.
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #22

I've dropped my first bike(which is my current one) while on a stand still. I just finished the course and I was feeling good about going for a ride on my own. So I jump on my bike and tried to pull up the the kickstands but couldn't(I'm quite short, only 5'6). I tried harder and then all of a sudden, I lost the bikes balance and leaned it on the ground... minor scratches here and there... quite embarrassing lol

my crapbucket

*ding* *ding* *ding* ...breast milk...you make my day-ee-yay!
evil_jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #23
Tech Team Mod

I've got a story

Never "dropped" but I had to lay my bike down a couple months back.

I was going south bound in the right lane of a 4 lane rd (2 each way). A truck going north bound turned left over a double yellow right the fuck in front of me. I grabbed the brakes but there was no way I was stopping in time so I cut left and layed her down on her left side. I was going about 70 when it all went down. Tumbled and rolled for a second before landing on my back, sliding on my back, feet first for the better part of 150 feet. All the while watching my bike slide further away from me. There was shit all I could do to slow down so I just kept my head up and tried to "swim" to keep in my lane. I didn't even come to a full stop when I kicked myself to my feet and started running after my bike (which was still sliding). To top it all off the asshole in the truck took off, and he definately saw me since I made eye contact with him.

The bike took it pretty well. Left fairing cracked, mirror, signal, tank dented, and left rear-set bent. Pretty much all cosmetic.

The kicker, a couple friends of mine were following in a car behind me and saw the whole thing and one had a camera so there are some good pics of the aftermath. I'll try to post some up later

2001 BMW M Coupe - Laguna Seca Blue
2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
2003 Honda CBR 954RR
dubzz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #24
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
I didn't drop mine while I had it, but the guy before me punched the turn signal through the fairing... and some dude came to look at it and buy from me and he hopped on it all gung-ho and almost fell over sideways into the front of my car. Moron. Turned out he hadn't even done his road test yet... learned my lesson to check licenses and crap before even letting them near it after that.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I've dropped mine three times in my first year of riding. Twice on the day I bought the bike... I cried. Hahah but I did learn never to use the front brakes while turning at parking lot speed. Not too much damage though, and I've been lucky ever since.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote