REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #4076
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Guess you're the lucky one

How was the pricing?
Ha! Yea no kidding right?

Prices were aight, set menus which consist of rice, pork, some shitty salad, and soup are in the $8 range, $8.50, 8.50, 8.75. These were the most expensive things on the menu.
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #4077
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Saboten @ Aberdeen Food Court

This chain restauraunt from Japan that sells fried pork chop was the new hype. We were there anyways so decided to try it out. The lineup was long so we expected to wait so it wasn't a surprise. Started lining up at 1220 and finally got to the cashier and ordered at 1245. We were number 88 and 2 people ahead of us number 86 ordered exactly the same thing we did, more on this later.

Like I said we knew it would be a while so we were patient. I can hear the pick up section calling out numbers and it was approaching the 80's, it was about 110pm now. I sat at a bit of a distance because I know when order number 86 got their food it will basically be my turn or so I thought. Was I horribly wrong. They got their food at 120pm and then it all went downhill from there. They skipped my order all the way to 91 and started calling 92,93 etc. I need to note that their menu is slim and everything was similiar, deep fried pork so it wasn't like my order would take that much longer over anyone elses. This big 6 women starts getting pissed and says she's number 90 where the fuck is my stuff and they make excuses about it. I then show the big 6 chick that I'm 88 and she starts getting angrier and yells at them on her and my behalf. There are other people in the 90's who start joining in. The most frustrating part is I see them giving orders to other people who ordered the same shiet I ordered. Again they make some excuses and fast forward to 145pm I finally get my food. 1 hour 25 mins from lining up to getting my food is not acceptable no matter how you cut it. They aren't cooking anything, the pork chop goes in the deep fryer, the soup is made, the rice is made, its really no different than mcdonalds. It also wasn't a lack of employees as they had tons of workers, 1 who scoops rice, 1 who scoops soup etc. Yes their new so they might not have it down but even with that said this was ridiculous.

The food itself wasn't all that great but not like I was expecting it to be mind blowing. The crunch and fluffiness to the batter was good but it lacked in the taste department. Will never go again. Yes I shouldn't have gone with the hype but it still doesn't justify this poorly run place. Stay clear revsceners you will be disappointed I promise.
Posted via RS Mobile
The best part was when you said "big 6 chick."
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #4078
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture View Post
I've had just about everything in Aberdeen, and imo nothing there is worth lining up for, EVER.

But people still insist on waiting hours and hours on end for mediocre dimsum, baked goods, or food court joints. And people wonder why you can't ever find a fucking parking spot at Aberdeen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Aberdeen - avoid like the plague.
I don't know if you guys are old enough to remember, but the old aberdeen used to have a theater that plays Chinese movies and a bowling alley. I actually liked going there during my Honger days.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #4079
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

^
yup.
always there for bowling
and watched a couple of movies there
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #4080
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

to be perfectly honest, i never order katsu ever here. its overcooked to shit and is nowhere near the quality that u get in japan. even at that, they only ever serve hire katsu here while i don't think ive even seen a place serve rohsu katsu (which i prefer).
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #4081
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3 View Post
to be perfectly honest, i never order katsu ever here. its overcooked to shit and is nowhere near the quality that u get in japan. even at that, they only ever serve hire katsu here while i don't think ive even seen a place serve rohsu katsu (which i prefer).
Doesn't Hi Genki do a wicked katsu? Ditto with 29th Ave. Cafe.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #4082
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,669 Times in 147 Posts
went to saboten in aberdeen on wednesday around 1pm. Wait 20-30 minutes for my food. Ordered the egg with rice/cutlet. The portions for the other dishes are so small so went for the best one. I do not understand the hype to be honest... teppan kitchen is so much better than this chain. So many people are working in saboten and it takes this long to serve?? I would never ever eat there again because the portion does not justify its price.
sindragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #4083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
I don't know if you guys are old enough to remember, but the old aberdeen used to have a theater that plays Chinese movies and a bowling alley. I actually liked going there during my Honger days.
Oh those were the day.

- The theater was awesome and I still miss it..
- The original place that sold fun sa chicken wings although they still have a store so it's all good
- Rhino Cafe
- bowling alley + mini arcade section where you could still smoke at the time
- I still always remember the water fountain clock outside the front door

This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #4084

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Oh those were the day.

- The original place that sold fun sa chicken wings although they still have a store so it's all good
- Rhino Cafe
YESSS. I remember the import video game store. I was so happy when my dad bought me Super Monaco GP for Genesis from there. Then across the hall from there was that store with all those model cars along the windows.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #4085
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Miku for dine out on the first day and a few a la carte items, exceptional service, for the most part amazing food. Only complaints are about the atmosphere, the lighting is simply terrible, had a hard time reading the menu and everything looked fuzzy, my iphone couldn't take any pictures that weren't fuzzy either. The place is also noisy as fuck, hard to have a conversation. And walking to my table from the entrance to the other end of the restaurant had at least 10 staff members yell at me in incomprehensible japanese. Excellent food overall but the whole noisy upbeat club-like atmosphere has to go.

Phnom Penh 2 days ago. Is it just me or did the butter beef get even tastier? Good as always and quick service.

Ji Sushi last night, had a friend talk me into going AYCE with him to try this place, avoid at all costs, you could not pay me to go back here. Terrible food and lousy service. Sushi is typical AYCE quality but anything cooked was bland and overcooked. Also very slow service for an AYCE place.

Hurricane Grill earlier this week to use up the kingyo coupon. Salads were decent but stuff like the ribs and lamb were meh. Stick to the bar/generic food, although chicken wings were bland. Overall it's an okay place but I probably wouldn't go back. Service was good but it was also really quiet

Quattro on Fourth Tuesday, to use up the groupon. Both the meat entrees were bad (veal and swordfish) both were way overcooked and tasteless. Pasta was good though, it's definitely worth coming back for and at a good price too.

Bistro Pastis Sunday to use up my teambuy coupon. Service is worth an honorable mention had 2 or 3 very attentive and friendly people serve us. Had the soup du jour which was very rich (just the way I like it), Mussels are nowhere near as good as chambar and definitely not worth ordering. For the Mains I had the Coq Au Vin and the gf had the Steelhead Trout. The Coq au vin had delicious sides but the chicken itself was tough and the taste was not quite there, perhaps could've been marinated a little longer. Dessert was an espresso and chocolate creme brulee that was very yummy. Overall before the teambuy $60 discount bill added up to ~$110, simply put I would be up in arms if I had to pay $110 for this meal, but for $50 + $29 coupon after tax & tips this was not bad.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #4086
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Miku for dine out on the first day and a few a la carte items, exceptional service, for the most part amazing food. Only complaints are about the atmosphere, the lighting is simply terrible, had a hard time reading the menu and everything looked fuzzy, my iphone couldn't take any pictures that weren't fuzzy either. The place is also noisy as fuck, hard to have a conversation. And walking to my table from the entrance to the other end of the restaurant had at least 10 staff members yell at me in incomprehensible japanese. Excellent food overall but the whole noisy upbeat club-like atmosphere has to go.

Miku's awesome. You have weird complaints

also

Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #4087

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
YESSS. I remember the import video game store. I was so happy when my dad bought me Super Monaco GP for Genesis from there. Then across the hall from there was that store with all those model cars along the windows.
LOL we totally hijacked this food thread into something else.

You talking about the video game store that was tucked away in that weird U Shaped section on the main floor? Around the corner from the store that sold dragon ball cards etc? I remember pre ordering Metal Gear Japanese Version when it was announced the game was coming on the PS. Also I bought or rather my parents bought me the white VCD version of PS1 there and it was super baller and I was the only person I knew that had one haha.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #4088
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
LOL we totally hijacked this food thread into something else.

You talking about the video game store that was tucked away in that weird U Shaped section on the main floor? Around the corner from the store that sold dragon ball cards etc? I remember pre ordering Metal Gear Japanese Version when it was announced the game was coming on the PS. Also I bought or rather my parents bought me the white VCD version of PS1 there and it was super baller and I was the only person I knew that had one haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
LOL, it's alright. We're showing how the new aberdeen, although much bigger, sucks compared to the old one. I don't even know why they took away the movie theatre. I used to bike with friends from Vancouver to see something.

That model shop was the best. I, or rather my aunt, spent at least a grand buying me jap anime figurines from there.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #4089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
LOL, it's alright. We're showing how the new aberdeen, although much bigger, sucks compared to the old one. I don't even know why they took away the movie theatre. I used to bike with friends from Vancouver to see something.

That model shop was the best. I, or rather my aunt, spent at least a grand buying me jap anime figurines from there.
Agreed even though the old one was much smaller we all remember some memorable stores where as I can't even name one store at the new mall that I even step foot in except for Daiso from time to time and the food court which isn't even that great. Parker Place although much smaller I would say has a better food court.

What was the old arcade called? Bally Bear or some shiet? I think I still have some tokens at home lol

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #4090
Hyde's Understudy

Ballie bear was at Parker place I thought.

Old Aberdeen rocks, I remember all the trouble I started there back in the days haha
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #4091
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Oh those were the day.

- Rhino Cafe
Is that where the new restaurant at Lansdowne get its name? The one own by Top Gun group.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #4092
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Miku's awesome. You have weird complaints

also

The Big Bang Theory - Kung Fu Sushi - YouTube
Haha I know, I know, the food was amazing and the dessert left me wanting seconds. But I genuinely had a hard time reading the menu.
Posted via RS Mobile
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #4093
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Is that where the new restaurant at Lansdowne get its name? The one own by Top Gun group.
yea it is. They used the same name but diff ownership. I heard back then the old rhino, when customers complained about the food, the servers would bring it back and put gross stuff (not sure what) in it. This incident got onto the news too.
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #4094
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I still remember as a kid my mom would always take me to the Rhino restaurant and you can see downstairs where the bowling alley was.

Brings back so many good memories!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #4095
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
yea it is. They used the same name but diff ownership. I heard back then the old rhino, when customers complained about the food, the servers would bring it back and put gross stuff (not sure what) in it. This incident got onto the news too.
It's still the same owners. Top gun group still owns it that's why the VIP card for old rhinos cafe works at the new locations.

I heard all stories about chef jizzing in food and putting urinal ice cubes on ppls drinks. All rumors though.
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #4096
degenerate extraordinaire

I think watching people bowl while eating was the best part, especially when you watch people that really suck at it and do plenty of gutterballs

I used to sit there with my red bean ice, while grandparents and aunt would just eat away.

The model shop used to have that one wall of tamiyas, it was so cool
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #4097

Anyways back to the topic of food ...

The Keg Granville Island

16oz Ribsteak with sauteed mushrooms and baked potato

Service: 8/10 even though it was dineout, service was very good
Food: 10/10 damn that steak
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #4098

Quote:
Yes, like others had mentioned it is in fact the old Rhino Cafe but in name and ownership only. So many years as passed so unless all the chefs etc are the same it's really just a new place to me.

One of the rumors was some chick ordered a fried rice or something and asked to leave something out of it. When they didn't and she complained they got pissed and jizzed in her food and she got sick from it. Of course it was all rumor/news and I don't remember it being confirmed that it was 100% true.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #4099
Hyde's Understudy

^ lol at the girl,

Get sick with jizz in fried rice? Girls eat my protein and they never get sick
Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #4100
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
Sick from jizz? Wtf
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote