REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #5901
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,017 Times in 7,108 Posts
Barbarella isn't nearly as good as when it opened. They use shitty cheese now since Terry was forced out.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #5902
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
^

Yes! So it's not just me. I also don't prefer their sauce as much as Via Tevere's.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #5903
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Went to Barb awhile back and the service was shitty and it wasnt even packed.

Definitely need to try Via. Im really liking Farina right now though.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #5904

I feel bad saying this because I was a very loyal customer to Farina, but via tevere trumps it in every single way. The pizza is better, the people are friendlier, the atmosphere and fact you actually will probably get to eat your pizza at a fucking table is better, etc.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #5905
RS controls my life!

La Quercia

8/10
7 course tasting menu was good, some minor imbalances, mainly too much cheese in a few dishes making it heavier than I think was intended. The dinner also took 3 hours which I thought was a little drawn out. Other than that, nice little joint
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #5906
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Barbarella isn't nearly as good as when it opened. They use shitty cheese now since Terry was forced out.
whaaat ...next they're going to stop curing their own meats
Old 05-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #5907
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
Fisherman Sushi @ Steveston

A new place opened up, i went in to try because i'm excited for another japanese choice at steveston.

Don't go, it's sushi king quality at ichiro prices...
Their chicken karage was fried chicken wings
Their sushi rice was so sweet you couldn't taste the natural sweetness of the fish
They give you giant slices of mushy sashimi
There was a "chef" teaching a mainlander c-lai how to make the rolls.

I should've left.

3/10 will not go back
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #5908
My homepage has been set to RS

anyone try "Pho ten" or "the red pagoda" Vietnamese restaurant at Ironwood mall Richmond yet?
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #5909
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
anyone try "Pho ten" or "the red pagoda" Vietnamese restaurant at Ironwood mall Richmond yet?
Pho Ten is really really good. No longer a secret, as the place is packed at lunchtime.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #5910
RS controls my life!

Cannibal cafe

8.5/10 (classic american burger no tomatoes)

damn good burger. cooked on a griddle! only way to cook a burger.
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #5911
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
Pho Ten is really really good. No longer a secret, as the place is packed at lunchtime.
I work right near there... Good to know.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #5912
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Ba Le cafe on fraser and kingsway, awesome viet sub if you wanna wait like 10-15 min
Alkrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #5913
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

The Fat Cow & Oyster Bar. Its in the Port Kells area of Langley not far from colossus movie theaters. The food is exceptional, there doing the farm to table thing. As much organic and local ingredients and possible. Lots of seafood on the menu if you're into that.
Worth a try if you enjoy quality food.
xKWBx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #5914
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Red House. Always enjoying going there to eat. Curry brisket with rice or shrimp pasta.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #5915
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
La Tour d'Argent, Paris. Claims to be the oldest restaurant in the city with a rich history dating back to 1582. A former michelin 3 star it only retains 1 currently. Apperently losing it's 2 due to politics. I've never dined at a 3 star but reviews seem to say its as good if not better than when it had the 3.

The experience/service here does not exist in Vancouver, and I have doubts it really exists much within North America. It defines white glove service and i've never had anything half the level of Tour D'argent. Even the subtle, classic things such as the menu's for the females of the party not having prices felt like you were dipping back in time

They have the most valuable cellar in all of Europe worth 25 million Euro's. As you can see the wine menu is a massive book that weighs 15 pounds. They also have numerous vintages that do not have prices since they are one off's or 1/2 and can only be negotiated with the Sommelier who resides over the dinner service.

The Meal:

We opted for the set lunch menu substituting the main course with their canard à la rouennaise, which is their signature dish. You are presented a duck which is lightly seared. They then carve the breasts and thighs and put the rest of the carcass into the silver press, which they press all the blood, juices, fat, etc. out and create the gravy with these drippings along with cognac and wine. The duck itself was cooked perfectly and the sauce was super rich and delicious, i'd say ive had better duck but you've got to have this duck if you come.

For the appy they present you with a cold tomato bisque then whichever appy you selected, i had the fresh tomatoes with in house made mozzarella, by far the best mozza i've ever tasted and the other elements to the dish were crazy, different with every bite.

After the breast they serve the thigh meat which has been diced, seared with spices and wine with the little salad garnish. Then for Dessert I had the chocolate cake with coconut sorbet and shaved caramel and my GF had the strawberry shortcut with a vanilla sorbet and fresh white strawberries and some other elements

They then provide you with a cart of cheeses and a high tea type tray with various finger desserts, etc. served along side with espresso

I've had better overall meals locally but never anything close to the total package and elements of the lunch were up there in my tops

The bottle of wine was an 89' Chablis, we opted for a dry white for lunch while most were drinking reds. We drink a lot of wine and try to learn more and more with each bottle but we couldnt justify going any crazier than that bottle as we wouldnt appreciate it.

Overall i'll give it a 9.5

One thing i kind of have a problem with, and my post probably perpetuates the problem but it would be almost nice if places like these banned cameras. I went in feeling that it was in somewhat bad taste to be taking pictures throughout the meal, but all around us there were tables of Chinese tourists with DSLR's all over the tables. I know you're paying a pretty penny for the meal, etc. but when your somewhere with the etiquette such as this it seems very out of place. They were all very good about it and did not mind though.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #5916
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Kind of hard to justify your comment when you did the same thing...It's part of food culture these days. Blame social media.

Last edited by Expresso; 06-03-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #5917
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Bubble Queen - 6.5/10

got the ferrero rocher one everyone talks about. it was alright... a little too sweet for my liking and $7 for bubble tea is kind of outrageous. they do have some cool flavors there and all but all the ones I've tried were a tad too thick IMO and not cold enough. it was a like a slightly cooler than room temperature milk shake with pearls. also once again $7 for bubble tea is a little ridiculous.
JACKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #5918
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

viet sub in downtown

8/10

good price and portion for viet sub in down town especially haha better than ba le for sure. (not a big fan of them anyway)
4.50 for the special. 4.00 for the rest
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #5919
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Amici, West Van.

Authentic Italian.

Had the special tomato broth with mussels, clams & spot prawns in a slightly spicy broth, and the Cioppino Amici (seafood in saffron sauce... also tomato based).

The 2 appetizers were fantastic with a lot of taste and the seafood was cooked very well.

The entree was okay and found that the tomato based sauce was only OKAY.

The dessert was Amici's tiramisu, but they added strawberry and white icing sauce under the tiramisu.

It made the dessert too sweet and overpowered the tiramisu taste.

Otherwise, the tiramisu, by itself (the top layer did not have the sauces) was PERFECT.

Service was very attentive and the food came out quickly.

Monteforte Mineral Water from the Apennine Mountains in Italy was one of the freshest, best tasting bottled-still water I have ever tasted.

9/10

Would definitely go again.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #5920
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
Amici, West Van.

Authentic Italian.

Had the special tomato broth with mussels, clams & spot prawns in a slightly spicy broth, and the Cioppino Amici (seafood in saffron sauce... also tomato based).

The 2 appetizers were fantastic with a lot of taste and the seafood was cooked very well.

The entree was okay and found that the tomato based sauce was only OKAY.

The dessert was Amici's tiramisu, but they added strawberry and white icing sauce under the tiramisu.

It made the dessert too sweet and overpowered the tiramisu taste.

Otherwise, the tiramisu, by itself (the top layer did not have the sauces) was PERFECT.

Service was very attentive and the food came out quickly.

Monteforte Mineral Water from the Apennine Mountains in Italy was one of the freshest, best tasting bottled-still water I have ever tasted.

9/10

Would definitely go again.
Have you tried Voss water? It's the best for me.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #5921
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Have you tried Voss water? It's the best for me.
Voss was THE best... until Monteforte.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #5922
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
this is gonna sound weird, but earls in lansdowne, 9.5/10

it was a friday night and my girlfriend and i havent eaten since 8am that day. i suppose we were the perfect kind of hungry, and we ended up having a lovely server.

i ordered the chicken wings in a bbq sauce to start. they were fantastic! just nice simple chicken wings done in the bbq sauce they use on the short ribs. sweet, sour, and not overly saucy. exactly what i look for in a wing.

the real winner for me was the bronx burger. pretty much its a cheeseburger but has two huge fried red onion rings inside the burger. it was the perfect blend of flavours and juicyness along with my crazy hunger.

i can say it was in the top 3 best burger ive had in my life. the real funny thing is? i hate earls.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #5923

Most people that know me are stunned when I say this, but I love earls. The waitresses are hot, flirty and actually know how to serve tables, the food is consistent and always pretty good, the beer is cheap and the tvs always have the least terrible sports available at the time playing. I remember going with my grandpa for wing Wednesday back when I was like 4 years old. Their extra hot wings are my favourite wings ever. Even the snobbiest of snobby chefs I've worked with know earls kills it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #5924
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Chewie's for brunch the other day.

Friendly staff, good food, and a lotta beach hotties that always seem to hang out on the patios. My friend got the crab cake bennies which were pretty damn good. I had the fried chicken and waffles which were bomb. Zen Cafe, which is a couple doors down still has my favourite bennies, but this place wasn't too shabby at all. Will probably return one day.

East is East

I can see the appeal with all the hippie vegetarian organic choices. But it wasn't my thing at all. Probably won't return, but that's just due to personal taste. My friends love this place though.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #5925
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Went to West Oak in Yaletown on Saturday for a birthday dinner, we were told we only have the table for 2 hours which was totally fine since it's Saturday and it'll be busy.

We got there and was seated quickly, drink orders were taken and everything seems great until we wanted to order some food. The waitress disappeared or walked right past us even we made eye contact trying to ask her to come and take our orders; the waitress only had a couple of tables.

As appies started to arrive so were our second round of drinks, this is when the waiter dropped 3 red cocktails on my back/left shoulder which also got onto my pants, my jacket on my seat back and my entire pair of shoes. My friend also got some on his jacket, pants and shoes.

The waiter quickly apologized and got more napkins and handed them to my friend and I to clean ourselves, the waitress came and apologized as well. While my friend and I were wiping ourselves down, the waiter came back with a napkin soaked in soda water to try to clean out the stains. A guy in a suit seems to be the manager dropped by and asked if I was okay, I said "Yes I'm okay but my shirt, pants, shoes were not." The guy in a suit didn't say anything else and walked away.

The food served there wasn't bad, I just didn't have the mood to enjoy it as the whole left side of my body was sticky from the drinks. The guy in suit didn't' show up or drop by again until he was asking us to leave because our time with the table was up.

I got my portion of the bill, the waitress made a mistake and had something I didn't order on there so I had to get her to correct it which took her about 15 minutes to bring us the new bill while I was thinking "I want to go home and hit the showers" the whole time; so we quickly paid and left.

Now I'm stuck with some ruined clothing and the feeling of not being taken care of. A sorry from the management, a discount on my bill (it came with gratuity already added) or even offer to take care of the cleaning of my clothing would be nice, but I wasn't offered any of it except getting the drinks spilt on my replaced. Maybe I should've asked/for it but I just wanted to get out of there and shower.

Sorry it's more of a rant than a review.
The food was descent, 7.5/10.
The service and management was horrible, 1/10.
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote