REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning (https://www.revscene.net/forums/advanced-forced-induction-n-engine-tuning_305/)
-   -   Who Here Runs A Full Standalone ECU? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/533681-who-here-runs-full-standalone-ecu.html)

bcrdukes 09-17-2008 08:29 AM

Hey guys,

Just an update. Ordered myself the new Haltech E8. :)

I'm short of a fuel rail and injectors right now so I'll work on that.

iPee 10-03-2008 11:19 PM

I'm going to be running HKS Fcon Vpro

can't wait

mspeedP5 10-04-2008 09:38 PM

Microtech LT10S
FS-DE Bored, Forged and Boosted
Tuned by $$$$$$$$

90civichatch 12-08-2008 10:49 PM

I'm running the AEM EMS for a turbo LS/VTEC that was tuned at RG. Runs great...almost like stock but w/ just way more power.

JJGreen 12-11-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90civichatch (Post 6163050)
I'm running the AEM EMS for a turbo LS/VTEC that was tuned at RG. Runs great...almost like stock but w/ just way more power.

Who built your motor?

90civichatch 12-11-2008 12:19 AM

Angus, he's located in POCO..

JJGreen 12-11-2008 12:23 AM

I thought so , ct performance right?
he did my sleeved block too

JJGreen 12-11-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90civichatch (Post 6163050)

Ya I saw you with the CT guy at RG dynoing your car , pretty crazy car
over 300hp right?

90civichatch 12-11-2008 12:29 AM

Yes it did, I'm pretty happy with it so far for what it is..

kent stacey 12-12-2008 07:24 PM

i run hondata kpro in my rsx , unbeatable

0piston 12-29-2008 08:53 PM

Kent Stacey: who tuned your Kpro? looking for a reliable tuner in BC... don't really want to drive to the states.

AEM in my turbo'd S2000
Power FC/datalogit in my GT-R
used to have a Haltech with my previous single turbo FD

kent stacey 12-30-2008 07:27 AM

geno reda , 250 554 6940 , built my car as well , only guy i trust with it :thumbsup:

kent stacey 12-30-2008 07:30 AM

i highly recomend you call him

SaviorSelf_666 12-30-2008 10:33 AM

Microtech LT8S

Turbo Drifter 03-10-2009 02:40 PM

Had an AEM, and now am running a ViPEC V88 much better!

k20a 09-17-2009 03:32 PM

Hondata S300
D16Z6
Built Bottom End
Stock Top End.
T3/T4 60Trim .63AR Turbo
20psi.
Pump gas

Hondata is the shit, I can't be anymore happier. It comes full with useful functions (just that I don't have use for it), i.e - (Full Throttle shifting, Boost by gear, Launch Control, Antilag, table for NOS tuning, etc)

k20a 09-17-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0piston (Post 6197432)
Kent Stacey: who tuned your Kpro? looking for a reliable tuner in BC... don't really want to drive to the states.

AEM in my turbo'd S2000
Power FC/datalogit in my GT-R
used to have a Haltech with my previous single turbo FD

Go down to C-Speed racing, it is seriously not that far away.

Captain Bondo 09-18-2009 04:57 PM

Turbo Drifter,

Sweet on the ViPec! Where'd you buy it? Seems to me there is a dealer in Calgary or something? I am thinking of upgrading to ViPec over the winter.

As for me I currently run Megasquirt 'n'spark. V3 board with hi-res code.

60-2 crank trigger, distributorless coil on plug.

Motor is a '99 Volvo S80 T6 engine (2.8L, 24v Turbo) swapped into my '83 Volvo 240 -so yeah standalone was kinda necessary. :haha:

It works great, if you plan to wire and tune your EMS yourself, megasquirt is great because as was said, there is a lot of community support.

What are the limitations?

Well, only 2 injector outputs. So I run batch fire on my 6 cylinder. three 50lb injectors firing at the same time sucks. It's noisy as hell.

No per-cylinder fuel or timing trims.

not much for freely configurable inputs and outputs.

Dwell is only compensated by battery voltage, so you have limited control over spark dwell which I find annoying.

The d-sub connector is uses for the harness is just that- a f'ing printer port connector.

Megasquirt 2 has a few more features but nothing major IMO.

VEMS is supposedly very good- it is loosely megasquirt based and fairly cheap but uses automotive grade connectors and has more inputs and outputs. The documentation for it is a disaster though. Good upgrade for someone who is familiar with megasquirt, but the learning curve would be steep for a first timer I think.

RacingGreed 09-21-2009 08:42 AM

Haltech's one of the best ECU for the money, IMO, reliable, easier to tune.

Only down side is the shitty software(alot better on new platinum series), and no Knock

detection or Knock control.

Call us, when you have problem, we've tuned a number of different haltech cars, and we are also a

haltech dealer.

alwaysideways 09-22-2009 01:16 PM

I ran HKS V-Pro on my 2JZ. Loved it! Never an issue :)

Muskys SS 09-24-2009 06:15 AM

Going to be running a Haltech E11 V2 on the 2jz soon. awesome unit, except I wish it had knock controll

Captain Bondo 09-26-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muskys SS (Post 6607204)
Going to be running a Haltech E11 V2 on the 2jz soon. awesome unit, except I wish it had knock controll

What are you doing ignition-wise?

A simple solution might be a J&S Safeguard ignition if you are running wasted spark (they don't have a 6 channel one I don't think).

I know it's nice to keep things clean/simple with just one box, the but the knockguard is sweet becuase it gives per-cylinder knock retard.

(It hears knock and it knows what ignition channel just fired, so it retards just that channel).

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/safeguard.html

If I am too much of a cheap bastard to upgrade mty megasquirt of the winter I might go with it.:D

I might anyways, I upgraded the VB921's in my MS and they new ignitors still aren't cutting it, or the coils aren't, or something. :(

Muskys SS 09-27-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bondo (Post 6609781)
What are you doing ignition-wise?

A simple solution might be a J&S Safeguard ignition if you are running wasted spark (they don't have a 6 channel one I don't think).

I know it's nice to keep things clean/simple with just one box, the but the knockguard is sweet becuase it gives per-cylinder knock retard.

(It hears knock and it knows what ignition channel just fired, so it retards just that channel).

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/safeguard.html

If I am too much of a cheap bastard to upgrade mty megasquirt of the winter I might go with it.:D

I might anyways, I upgraded the VB921's in my MS and they new ignitors still aren't cutting it, or the coils aren't, or something. :(

I'm running full sequential coil on plug ignition. I'm just going to monitor knock on the dyno and tune the car on the safe side.

1BADMR2 10-11-2009 05:42 AM

I purchased the powerfc and i also have datalogit for my 93 MR2. I just need to get it converted from genIII to the gen II motor and get rid of the AFM, install 540's, ATS fuel rail, ct-27, etc. then off to the dyno. As far as i know, ATS in the states can covert it.

Turbo Drifter 10-23-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bondo (Post 6599701)
Turbo Drifter,

Sweet on the ViPec! Where'd you buy it? Seems to me there is a dealer in Calgary or something? I am thinking of upgrading to ViPec over the winter.

As for me I currently run Megasquirt 'n'spark. V3 board with hi-res code.

60-2 crank trigger, distributorless coil on plug.

Motor is a '99 Volvo S80 T6 engine (2.8L, 24v Turbo) swapped into my '83 Volvo 240 -so yeah standalone was kinda necessary. :haha:

It works great, if you plan to wire and tune your EMS yourself, megasquirt is great because as was said, there is a lot of community support.

What are the limitations?

Well, only 2 injector outputs. So I run batch fire on my 6 cylinder. three 50lb injectors firing at the same time sucks. It's noisy as hell.

No per-cylinder fuel or timing trims.

not much for freely configurable inputs and outputs.

Dwell is only compensated by battery voltage, so you have limited control over spark dwell which I find annoying.

The d-sub connector is uses for the harness is just that- a f'ing printer port connector.

Megasquirt 2 has a few more features but nothing major IMO.

VEMS is supposedly very good- it is loosely megasquirt based and fairly cheap but uses automotive grade connectors and has more inputs and outputs. The documentation for it is a disaster though. Good upgrade for someone who is familiar with megasquirt, but the learning curve would be steep for a first timer I think.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes the Vipec is sweet, its got everything you could ever want. I got mine from Lightspeed in RedDeer, he is the Canadian dealer for Vipec. I also have a local guy here that is very good with the wiring and tuning of the Vipec. I am running LS1 coils on my 2jz and have hit 24psi with out a miss at .031 plug gap. Its a great set up but if I was to do it again I would have just gone with the 1zz coils off a newer corolla or celica.

Good luck with your purchase, make sure that the trigger wheel or cam sensors are supported before you buy anything.

PM if you have any questions.

Jeremy