REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,504 Times in 4,308 Posts
Who Here Runs A Full Standalone ECU?

Just wondering how many of you guys are running a full standalone engine management system whether it's Hondata K-Pro, Megasquirt, Haltech, Autronic, MoTeC, Chrome, Uberdata etc.

If you do, please list what you're running, motor specs, and whether it's been tuned or not, and whether you're satisfied with your existing EMS or not. I'm looking for some opinions on different EMS' for my MR2.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-04-2008 at 08:43 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

I'm running the Apexi PowerFC on a FD Rx7 with big streetport,HKS T51R turbo,1600cc secondaries & 850cc primaries.Ground Zero Motorsports in Oregon did the tuning and it's flawless.

For the street I run a conservative 12 psi & for race it gets cranked up to 23 psi,all on pump gas......and really happy with it.
monster killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

PowerFC on my FD as well, running the base mod map as I'm fairly close to stock, but its awesome to be able to hook up a wideband and Datalogit to pull maps and tune my cruise and idle for some higher AFRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Does the PowerFC have a smart/auto tune fucntion? On a related note, I understand that Autronic has Autotune.

I'd run a PowerFC but it was never built for the GenII 3S-GTE.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

bcrdukes,what's your budget for a standalone ECU?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Haltech E11 on a BMW M70. But switched 2xMegasquirt for authenticity
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I had Hondata S300 on my all-motor b20vtec.
Dyno-tuned. It was pretty much a necessity for me because the motor wouldn't even idle let alone run without a full stand-alone, so i'd say I was happy with it

I also had a Hondata S200B on this motor (it's a long story why i had to get the Boost option...but it came down to the ITBs)

The link in my sig will tell you the specs of the motor.

IMO, You can get the most expensive standalone money can buy, but if you can't find somebody that actually knows how to tune it and use all the features you need, then you've just bought a really expensive VAFC/SAFC.

Last edited by Eclypz; 06-04-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #8

It really depends on which engine you want to use the aftermarket ECU for.

Last edited by godwin; 06-04-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster killer View Post
bcrdukes,what's your budget for a standalone ECU?
No real budget to be honest. I know the Autronic is up at around the $2500 mark but requires some work. There's also the Hydra Nemesis which is plug'n'play and full of support for the SW20 3S-GTE. That itself goes for $1500.

I'm looking to run a full-standalone because the factory AFM and ECU is too restrictive of my power goals. I'm planning on running 540cc injectors, stock fuel pump, and 1 bar boost on a JDM CT020B turbo. With proper tuning, I should be short of 300rwhp with a nice torque curve. Anything beyond that power will require forged pistons, cams/cam gears and the like.

godwin: It's for the GenII 3S-GTE which is restricted by the factory AFM.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-04-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #10

Then Megasquirt might be up your alley because it is quite well supported by the older Toyotas. Get the SMT version of Megasquirt for about $500.. you are good to go.

http://www.jbuckle.homeip.net/page.php?2
http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=19709

Not to put down on any engines.. I don't think ECUs should cost several times over the engine it is going to lord over!

My friend in England whom I am collaborating on the new heads.. uses a Motec 880 on his M70.. I think it is overpowered for what it is worth.. granted you do get aircraft grade wire harness and connectors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
No real budget to be honest. I know the Autronic is up at around the $2500 mark but requires some work. There's also the Hydra Nemesis which is plug'n'play and full of support for the SW20 3S-GTE. That itself goes for $1500.

I'm looking to run a full-standalone because the factory AFM and ECU is too restrictive of my power goals. I'm planning on running 540cc injectors, stock fuel pump, and 1 bar boost on a JDM CT020B turbo. With proper tuning, I should be short of 300rwhp with a nice torque curve. Anything beyond that power will require forged pistons, cams/cam gears and the like.

godwin: It's for the GenII 3S-GTE which is restricted by the factory AFM.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

have you thought about tomei reytec? after summer, they're going to have a new model reytec and its going to maybe have a power commander like the apex power fc.
Jun_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
RS Veteran

^
It's a very Nissan specific application and EMS so no.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Your best bet is the Hydra Nemesis.Nothing beats support from people who use it to help you trouble shoot problems when a tuner is not around.

.....I would seriously consider changing the fuel pump while you upgrade,especially if it's the original OEM pump.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i second the fuel pump, you don't want to hit a wall in the lph with the stock pump at boost. it's just safer to get like a Walbro 255lph for like 150-200$.

maybe it's just cause i drive an RX7 but i am always concerned about adequate fuel delivery haha.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
maybe it's just cause i drive an RX7 but i am always concerned about adequate fuel delivery haha.
Me too!

I run two external pumps & a swirl pot.

Last edited by monster killer; 06-05-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #16
RS Veteran

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I do have a Walbro 255lph fuel pump as part of the build-up.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #17
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Ive used crome on my car, and currently running ectune,

both street tuned by myself,

both have worked flawlessly in my obd1 honda,

b18b turbo'd
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I was running Megasquirt n' Spark Extra I v2.2 in my MX6. Mods included Innovate wideband, Millenia S injectors, FPR, Walboro 255 pump, among others. It was also going to be setup to run a supercharger with an FMIC sprayed by meth injection. Xplode is running one with the same mods, but is also running a turbo and has modded the board to run water/meth injection, flat shift, launch mode, etc.

Megasquirt has an Autotune feature but, to be honest, any autotune feature in any SMS needs to be watched over carefully. It's ultimately a lot easier for someone to sit in the passenger seat and do real-time editing, or even just to log your information and when you get home, manually adjust your settings. Megasquirt also has a huge community behind it and they're usually more than happy to help out when you come across a problem. There are also quite a few people on here who know what they're doing so I know we'd be more than willing to help you out.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #19
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

I used Hondata s200

Built N/A h23.

Before and after tuning was night and day difference. Was very happy with the results.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

No mom, I'm not watching bukake movies again's Avatar

With all the different options for EMS you'd be better off finding the best tuner in your area and use the EMS they are familiar with.
1990 Nissan Skyline GTR Nismo #161/500
Monster build under way
No mom, I'm not watching bukake movies again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #21
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I run a powerFC Djetro on my gtr, super easy to install, took about an hour.
kelaog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #22
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Oh to add on that, I have a r34 nur engine in the gtr with tomei pon cams and 2860r-5's feeding 800cc injectors. Took 10 seconds to start up by adjusting by .555 and setting the injector lag to 1.1/ms
kelaog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #23
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Hey dukes... our shop converted a MR2 from maf to map and it now runs a honda ECU that can tuned with crome. Got rid of all the maf vacuum line bullshit and now it looks clean as hell under there and runs like a champ. Were actually tuning it this weekend so I will let you know how it does. Its a fully built 3SGTE with bigger turbo. Should be sexy times.
We have used TEC3 its a super solid unit, GAYEM EMS stay the fuck away, and the usual Honda ones. They wont work with you though as they are for honda ecu's. Its alot of work to convert the MR2 but worth it in the end.

Berz out.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #24
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

im using haltech PnP on my 350z.
abcmzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hey Mike,

it's Sam... haha i rarely post on RS but gotta get my post count up. Im planning to go MS. my buddy runs it on his ka-t and it's so awesome and he got it shipped to his house for $400. My SAFC almost cost the same amount but no timing control and what not.

anyways, me buddy basically failed air care, then sat in the air care parking lot for 10 min changed some settings and went back in a passed.

the only down side to MS is that there is SO much to learn. oh well if i can rebuild my motor, im sure i can learn mega squirt.