REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #101
I bringith the lowerballerith

30 minutes for a 5 mile is NOT average. That is a steady 6 minute mile. That is well below the average time (in Depot at least, not sure about the rest of the world).

As for your own times, you should aim to be running under a 10 minute mile no matter the distance. I think my 1.5 mile was 10:30, my 3 mile was just over 21 minutes, and my 5 mile was 38:38. Realize also that the longer the distance, the higher your times will generally be.
Advertisement
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #102
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

wow, sho_bc. thanks for the quick response. you must have RS on a portable device (iphone, crack berry.... in your cruiser, etc.) LOL.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #103

I do have times throughout the week where I'm not at work.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 11-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #104
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
quick question is post secondary absolutely necessary for rcmp?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #105
Need to Seek Professional Help

As an officer, I know its a 24 hour service. But as of your own personal life, are you pretty much like everyone else who works? Or most of the time your on the shift leaving the wife sleeping alone on certain occassions.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #106
RS Peace Officer

You guys worry way too much about everyone else. To go to Depot you should be in your own best shape. Try your best and make improvements while you are there. Not everyone is built to run 5 miles in 30 something minutes and they know that.

Post secondary education is not necessary, but it definitely won't hurt your chances. There are a few people on my watch that don't have post secondary.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHO? View Post
As an officer, I know its a 24 hour service. But as of your own personal life, are you pretty much like everyone else who works? Or most of the time your on the shift leaving the wife sleeping alone on certain occassions.
We do get days off, just like anyone else out there. The days on though, can be quite long, and can easily run an hour or two past the scheduled end of shift. (That doesn't happen every day though) There are also times when you might need to forfeit some of your time off to finish up some paper work, but how much, or how little of that you do can vary. A guy I graduated with put in 12 hours of overtime in his first week, whereas I only put in 3. Different sections in different parts of the country mind you, but such is the diversity of the work we do.
Where you work will determine your work schedule. I work 4 on, 4 off. You could work the same, or you could work 6 on, 3 off, 4 on, 4 off, 5 on, 4 off, like one guy I know. (It doesn't make sense to me either, but it seems to work for them)
Old 11-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #108
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Well my aplication got denied.
Got to wait 2 years before aplying again.
Made a bad choice using a fake ID 1 year ago.
Weren't too thrilled about me knowing people that smoke pot. It's pretty imposible not to in Vancouver.
As well as weren't too happy about my recent speeding ticket.
Also they didn't like me not giving a straight answer to the question Will my loyalty alway lay with Canada.
I answered yes unless Canada was an unreasonable agressor. I don't know if you guys would, but I m not sure if I can follow any country that pulls a WW2 Germany or something worse.

Make the right choices guys. And good luck on your aplications.

Last edited by Dan_Guy; 11-20-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Dan_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #109

Dan_Guy, sorry to hear. that sucks. was this for vpd or rcmp or other?

from what i see (probably not true) i think there is a general 3 years grace period where you cant do anything wrong/live a clean lifestyle before they consider you. it may have to do with maturity, but who am i to say.

the funny thing is i got a speeding ticket a month before the info session, yet here i am still (and near the end) in the application process.

i think you're over thinking that loyalty question. it's more less asking if you would give out national secrets, as you will have access to sensitive material. bascially, will you betray Canada. if you can't do this then you shouldnt be in law enforcement or even work for the armed forces, canada post, provincial, and/or federal gov't, as you have to give your loyalty to Canada.

at the rcmp info session i went to, they basically said you have stop hanging out with people who do illicit drugs, including marajuana, as it is a conflict of interest... yet if your immediate family does it, you can't really do anything since you can't choose your family... i guess it is again about making the right choices for yourself. i lost contact with many friend because of this years ago as it was my future career goal and i dont want to jeopardize my future career because of immature adults still wanting to smoke pot. i know it sucks, but you have to do what's best for you. i found a whole bunch of new friends that dont rely on drugs to have a good time (funny enough most from car clubs LOL). if i can do it, so can you.

anyways sorry for the long post, but i hope you do re-apply in 2 years.

Last edited by fukkeneh240; 11-21-2008 at 09:34 AM.
fukkeneh240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #110
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Don't sweat an occasional speeding ticket. I got one 2 days before I left for Depot.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #111

This was for RCMP. I will deffinatly try my best to do what I got to do to get in, but you really never know what can happen in the next two years.

I'll steer my boat in the direction I want to go, but never know which way the current will take me.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Guy View Post
This was for RCMP. I will deffinatly try my best to do what I got to do to get in, but you really never know what can happen in the next two years.

I'll steer my boat in the direction I want to go, but never know which way the current will take me.
go apply with Canada Border Services Agency for a BSO position (Border Service Officer). after a 9 week training prgram in quebec you get $52,000 or so to start and if the new classification happens, you will be making similar money to police officers and you will be armed. plus there is always over time so you can easier make $70000 in your first year. And since CBSA is Canada wide there are many oppontunites including working at the various embassies around the world.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #113
RS Peace Officer

You too could be enjoying the world-class nightlife of beautiful downtown NightHawk. as a CBSA agent.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #114

Yeah, i ll research some stuff

Last edited by Dan_Guy; 11-22-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
You too could be enjoying the world-class nightlife of beautiful downtown NightHawk. as a CBSA agent.

can you please explain this a bit more as this doesnt make sense to me? sorry for the ignorance, but i never heard of the term "nighthawk" in regards to CBSA.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #116
RS Peace Officer

http://www.pbase.com/paulj3/image/47181474

This is a picture of your busy border crossing point. Google for more info. Good luck !
Old 11-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
http://www.pbase.com/paulj3/image/47181474

This is a picture of your busy border crossing point. Google for more info. Good luck !
ahhhhhhhh... hahaha. makes sense now. but how is that any different from being stationed at a two man detachment way up north? i wonder if there is a rcmp detachment there too.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #118
Retired Traffic Cop

Hey! Nighthawk was in my old patrol district. The guy at the crossing was great to visit.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #119
RS Peace Officer

I liked to comment in one story on Nighthawk that google popped up. A trucker who described as his crossing as being 1/4 of the entire vehicle traffic thru there that day.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #120

Thats probably why skidmark's friend had time for visitors.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #121
RS Peace Officer

Probably says a lot about how hard it was for him to find friends...finally finding someone as desperate as a very lonely CBSA agent in the middle of nowhere??
Old 11-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Hey! Nighthawk was in my old patrol district. The guy at the crossing was great to visit.
Hey, youre at Nanoose Bay?

That's right by Parksville. I know an Inland CBSA enforcement officer that works out there. I wonder if you know him... probably not, but it would be funny if you did.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #123
Retired Traffic Cop

Facebook: Tips for Those Attending Depot

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...438&topic=2534

Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Facebook: Tips for Those Attending Depot

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...438&topic=2534
All that does for me is link me to the facebook home page.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #125
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
All that does for me is link me to the facebook home page.
Yes, it did for me too. Once I logged into my Facebook account it took me to the right place when I clicked it.