REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #51
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
oh ok, thats good to know about the bench mark.

I can see why doing testing in a group can be different. I know when i run by myself, I dont push myself as hard as when im running with a friend.
Advertisement

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

I've been going to the gym for the last 2 months every day getting prepared for DEPOT. When I started, I was a HORRIBLE runner. But after running for 20 mins every day, slowly upping the speed (on a treadmill) I have gotten a lot better. I'm not quite at the 10:45 yet but I really don't see any issues getting there by the end of DEPOT.

I'm pretty excited, I haven't quite finished the whole interview process but I have a good chance of being accepted.

After the recruiting seminar thing, all I know is that if I have an option I am getting as far north as I can. The extra 15k a year makes a big difference when you have nothing to spend it on!
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #53
I bringith the lowerballerith

first of all, get off the treadmill and go run outside. huge difference. don't like the incremental weather? you'll be running in all sorts of weather at Depot, so better to get used to ugly weather here. Also, invest in some properly fitted running shoes and buy a few pairs. I went through 2 pairs with all the running we did.

Also, don't burn yourself out in the gym before you get there, cause you'll be needing all the rest you can squeeze in once there. you get minimal recovery time for your body, so at least cut it back to 5 days/week here.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Guy View Post
I did my 1st pare in 3:58, I know quite high, but that was after being pretty sick with strep throat. I really though I wouldnt recover in time to pass.
that sucks. thankfully, i didn't get hit by any of the depot colds that went around until the very last week.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 11-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Guy View Post
I did my 1st pare in 3:58, I know quite high, but that was after being pretty sick with strep throat. I really though I wouldnt recover in time to pass.
that sucks. thankfully, i didn't get hit by any of the depot colds that went around until the very last week.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #56
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

quick general question.

I'm doing my first aid this wednesday and dont know if I should read the "CPR for Healthcare Providers (HCPs)". I called the Richmond St.John's place at 1:04 pm and apparently they close at 1pm... D'oh... and prob not open tomorrow (Nov 11).

so question is... do I need to know this part as I don't think a peace officer is a "HCP" like a firefighter, industrial emergency response team, nurse, physician.. etc that it states in the book? are police officers "HCP" since they are "techinically" first responders?

Thanks for the time.

oh, one more thing. I went on a ride along in richmond a few weeks back.. any recommendations on another district?? I'm thinking coquitlam, burnaby, or richmond again.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #57

The more educated you are, the better prepared you'll be in any given situation (first aid know-how, criminal code material, etc). I'd read it.

When I was looking for ride alongs, I was told Richmond were the only ones that still did them. Have you tried calling the detachments and asking?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #58
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
is it a good idea to apply for rcmp right after highschool graduation?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
The more educated you are, the better prepared you'll be in any given situation (first aid know-how, criminal code material, etc). I'd read it.
That didnt really answer my question, but i can see what youre trying to get at... knowledge is power kinda thing... the point is why read it if they wont teach you those specifc "HCP" techniques. In the first aid book, it says to ONLY perform the first aid that you are QUALIFIED to give... so IF being a peace officer does not mean you are a HCP, then you are not as qualified "as a HCP" to give certain first aid/techniques.. so this is what confuses me.. is a police officer a HCP?

and the criminal code... you can't just study it. you can familiarize yourself to it and learn how look through it. heck, i use it everyday with my current job and i memorized some sections, but it is still tedious, especially with all the case law that puts many things in the "grey" areas. lol.

anyways back on topic with the HCP.....
Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 View Post
and the criminal code... you can't just study it. you can familiarize yourself to it and learn how look through it. heck, i use it everyday with my current job and i memorized some sections, but it is still tedious, especially with all the case law that puts many things in the "grey" areas. lol.

anyways back on topic with the HCP.....
Isn't that what studying it helps you do? To become more familiar with the material? I studied it in order to pass my exams.

As for the HCP thing, I'll give you a somewhat obscure example:
I did judo for many many years before going through Depot. In judo, I used carotid control techniques almost every practice several times. I was never "qualified" to use them. Going through Depot, I became officially qualified to use that technique.
When it comes to saving someone's life, you do what you can/know how to do. Would I do something I didn't feel confident in? No. Some things though, are quite straight forward and can be understood after a short conversation with a qualified person. Am I suggesting that you do things that you're not qualified to do? No, but if you're someone's last and only chance at life, I'd recommending doing whatever it takes to save it.

It to me a while to digest and understand this, but there are no black & white answers in police work.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyvious View Post
Where is the harm in applying? Be prepared for them to say "No" and/or defer your application though. So long as you'd be 18 years old by your first day at Depot, your age should be ok.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #62

Quote:
Where is the harm in applying? Be prepared for them to say "No" and/or defer your application though. So long as you'd be 18 years old by your first day at Depot, your age should be ok.
yeah im turning 18 in jan and going to apply in june when i graduate highschool. are they going to say no because i have no post secondary education?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #63

I'd contact someone in recruiting for those kinds of questions (regarding your own personal situation). I'd hate to come on here and say "yes, they will" and then have them say no for whatever reason.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #64
RS Peace Officer

They take more into account than just your age. The rule is you have to be 19 at the time you graduate from Depot. If you have all the attributes they are looking for, I don't think age would be a factor. That being said, most 17 and 18 year olds haven't had the life experience they are looking for, but if you think you are a good candidate why not go for it? The worst they can say is no.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #65
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Yes, especially if you can show that you are dedicated about getting in. Use examples from your life showing that you have taken action to prepare yourself to join.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Yes, especially if you can show that you are dedicated about getting in. Use examples from your life showing that you have taken action to prepare yourself to join.
such as taking first aid courses and getting my gun license? i plan on attending one of those career presentations too.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #67

well to answer my own question... after the 2 day first aid course, we didnt learn any of the first aid for HCP. so if anyone is going to take that course, you dont need to go over it. in fact I was the only person in my whole class that read the entire textbook. ????

I guess some people don't take it too seriously, but honestly even the people who didnt touch the book passed. go figure.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #68

Quote:
such as taking first aid courses and getting my gun license? i plan on attending one of those career presentations too.
a gun license? i didn't have to get a gun license and i'm nearing the end of the application process... unless that's a surprise at the end
Old 11-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #69

Don't worry about getting a gun license unless you want to buy your own guns.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #70

Sorry, I have another question that needs to be cleared up.

I was at a practice PARE test today and I was talking to another applicant who said that the 4 min benchmark was only necessary at the end of Depot. I always had the impression that you had to do the PARE under the 4 min bench mark the first week of depot or you will be sent home the first week. Which one of these are correct?

I'm not worried as my time today was only 3 seconds slower then my "official" tested time 5 months ago (still under 3:40 and I will do a few more practice tests to improve), but I am just curious. haha... gotta love the taste of blood from the lungs.. LOL
Old 11-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #71

Coughing up blood isn't a good thing...

As for the PARE times, the first week, everyone needs to clear 4min 45sec. The second PARE test is 4min (but is a benchmark, not a test that will get you sent home). The final PARE test requires a MAX time of 4 minutes. If you don't make that, you'll get 5 hours of learning assistance and run it again 48hrs later. If you don't pass that, you'll either be sent home or (more likely) backtrooped a whole bunch of weeks.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #72
The "You'd Know" Moderator

With full gear right?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 AM   #73
My homepage has been set to RS

they still have sky marshalls?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #74

Quote:
Coughing up blood isn't a good thing...

As for the PARE times, the first week, everyone needs to clear 4min 45sec. The second PARE test is 4min (but is a benchmark, not a test that will get you sent home). The final PARE test requires a MAX time of 4 minutes. If you don't make that, you'll get 5 hours of learning assistance and run it again 48hrs later. If you don't pass that, you'll either be sent home or (more likely) backtrooped a whole bunch of weeks.
ahhh.. makes sense now. at least that's something I don't have to worry about when I get there. sweet.

not coughing up blood, but did cough here and there after the PARE, which is said to be normal because the lungs are working while the heart is pumping at max heart rate.. the "pare cough" as the instructor called it. haha.

Last edited by fukkeneh240; 11-14-2008 at 06:59 AM.
fukkeneh240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 AM   #75

PARE is run in issued PT gear: short shorts, t-shirt with your name on it, knee-high socks, and your own runners.

Yeah, the PARE cough is normal. Some people throw up afterwards, too.