REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #26
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I spent 8 years in Newfoundland....THAT was an "overseas posting"!!!!!They had their own money, government and passports until the Confederation vote.
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #27
RS Peace Officer

Gee,

Most of the replies have covered al the topics..... As you have noticed it is kind of a personal choice. We all mostly do the same job, but with the RCMP you have the opportunity to move to different areas of a Province or to a different one. There are some great things to say about working in small towns in remote areas of the Country. I spent my first 9 years working in, a 5 and a 4 person detachment. One was located at the end of a road (well most of the year I would call it more of a trail, 4x4 would get stuck on it in the spring) with our closest neighbouring town about 2.5 hrs away or about 180 km. My experiences there were all positive and I believe they helped me develope the police personality I have. I am usually a little less abrasive and tend to have more patients with people than a number of members that learned policing in large municipalities. This came from neccesity in a small town as you have no back up and often relied on civilians for assistance. So you tended to have to be a little nicer overall. You tend to develop good verbal skills as it is much easier to talk a person into doing what you want than trying to force them and the 20 other people to do it....

If you love nature that is the place to go..... lots of outdoor activities, most have skidoos, boats and some have seadoos as well. You get oportunities to flay in all sorts of aircraft etc.... But it can get a little lonley and there is not much to do. I enjoyed my time but asked to come to the Lowermainland.

I enjoy it here and plan to remain for some time. I work in Richmond which is a great place to not only live but the office and work environment are great.

Good luck with whatever you choose....

We do get one of the nicest formal uniforms and it is internationally recognized.....
Old 09-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #28
Retired Traffic Cop

Interesting link to RCMP being rated as one of Canada's top 100 employers

Click Me!

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #29
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

hey quick question to the RCMP members here.

what happens when you have a death in the family (immediate family) while youre at depot? do you basically stop your training (to go home for the funeral and grieve/down time) and re-start the 6 month shabang, or get put into another troop, or cover the things you missed on the weekends?

hopefully it doesnt come to this, but (realistically) my grandmother is getting weaker every month and i hope it doesnt happen while im there

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #30
I bringith the lowerballerith

Depending on when it happens (how far into training you are), you could be backtrooped, or you might have to start over from the beginning. My parents told me that if anything happened to either of them, they would want me to continue on with training. Not sure if I would or not, but thankfully, they're still going strong. I had a troop mate leave because of his father's health though, right near the beginning of training, so it does happen.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #31
RS Peace Officer

Not sure but seems sho bc has some experience with this. I would think they will try their best to accomodate you but you may be held back to make up missed training.

BTW seems like we have a bunch of regulars here that are in training or going to training do we need to start a new forum just for them.....
Old 09-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACER View Post
I would think they will try their best to accomodate you but you may be held back to make up missed training.
Yep, if you haven't made any bad impressions and have a relatively strong file (if it looks like you're able to come back and continue to do well), they "leave the door open" to your return. Like I mentioned before, the likelihood of being backtrooped is more likely the case than not, but where you are/were in training before will dictate how far back you go.
There was a guy in my troop that went home in the wee hours of a Friday morning, and returned on the Sunday night and was able to continue on like normal, so thats one thing to look at doing, too.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo

Last edited by skidmark; 10-10-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #33

^ well.... sadly i no longer have to worry about it :'(

ironically i was telling my background investigator about this, and no more then 30 min later my mom calls

anyhoo.................
Old 10-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #34
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Interesting link to RCMP being rated as one of Canada's top 100 employers

Click Me!
thats true in fact I was considering a career in the RCMP instead I leaned towards St.Johns more lol

btw skidmark I have a question I heard from a sheriff that sometime in the near future hiways are gonna be under their jurisdiction... true ?

Last edited by frito_lay; 10-10-2008 at 12:00 AM.
frito_lay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 AM   #35
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 View Post
^ well.... sadly i no longer have to worry about it :'(

ironically i was telling my background investigator about this, and no more then 30 min later my mom calls

anyhoo.................
Sorry for your loss...

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #36
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito_lay View Post
btw skidmark I have a question I heard from a sheriff that sometime in the near future hiways are gonna be under their jurisdiction... true ?
I haven't heard this one yet, but there is nothing to stop our provincial government from changing/extending the CVSE program or straight traffic enforcement using the Sheriff's Services.

In some ways it would be an improvement if traffic enforcement went provincial and the resources were dedicated to only that job.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #37
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
i was looking at the RCMP site, and it mentioned bench mark performance for push ups, sit ups, chin ups, 1.5 mile run and 3 mile run. Do they actually test you on that stuff.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #38
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD604 View Post
i was looking at the RCMP site, and it mentioned bench mark performance for push ups, sit ups, chin ups, 1.5 mile run and 3 mile run. Do they actually test you on that stuff.
Yes they do.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #39
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
Yes they do.
i saw on the site that you need to run 1.5mile in the 10:45 benchmark. what if you can everything else on the list and not quite get 10:45?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #40
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

They record it but they dont generally send u home for getting under the benchmark.

The only physical thing you can get sent home for is failing the PARE... but really if you cant do the PARE in under 4:45 you really really should not be a cop.
PR0WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #41
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Do they hire fobs ? lol... is it all Caucasians or do Asians have a say in RCMP/VPD
Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #42

The 1.5 mile benchmark isn't really all that hard to achieve. Its basically a very fast run and is over before you know it. (this is coming from someone who didn't used to run very much)

With the RCMP, it is quite culturally diverse (as is the VPD I'm sure, given the ethnic make-up of the Lower Mainland). And just because you're asian in the RCMP doesn't mean you're coming to the Lower Mainland/Richmond. I know a guy sent to small-town-nowhere Saskatchewan.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:33 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0WL View Post
They record it but they dont generally send u home for getting under the benchmark.

The only physical thing you can get sent home for is failing the PARE... but really if you cant do the PARE in under 4:45 you really really should not be a cop.
i did the PARE in 3:32 but my 1.5 mile is terrible.. like 11:30 or so.. working on that though. (but by vpd standards, 11:30 is a pass.. under 12 min)
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #44
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
My last PARE @ 3.45 a year ago, did Cooper's test in 9.25 at 41 years of age. It ain't difficult if an old fart like me can get those times.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #45

Impressive cooper's time. It puts my last cooper's time to shame given my gangly legs and "younger person's advantage".
Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #46

what the hell.. so i did a 1.5 mile today and took me exactly 13 min?!?!? i have to admit i haven't run in a month due to family issues.. but not running for a friggin month added a min and a half to my over all time...??!!?? starting next friday, i have to start running again. this is friggin sad.. LOL.

sigh...

end of vent/rant.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #47

You'd be surprised how much faster you are when you run in a group and in a test setting. My 5 mile run was WAY at the end because I was battling pretty bad shin splints at the time of the 5 mile test. I got the fastest guy in my troop to go out with me to push me for a fast time and, fighting the prairie winds 3/4 of the run, I pulled off a 38 minute 5 mile feeling like I could have gone for another mile or two at the same pace. Never would have been able to run that on my own. When you're testing yourself, figure out how fast you want to run it, and then figure out the time for .5 miles, 1 mile, and then find landmarks to help guide your pacing.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #48
RS Peace Officer

My last PARE was 3:02 and my last Cooper's test was 8:47, both of which were in Depot (2.5 years ago). I have kept running and working out since then but I think my times would be a bit higher now.

The PARE isn't hard to do in under four minutes and like PROWL said, if you can't do it in under 4 minutes you should not be applying to a police force. PARE is the only test they are going to send you home if you don't make the bench mark. The fitness facilitators are mainly focused on effort and improvement on everything else. If they know you are working your hardest to reach the bench marks they will do everything they can to help you out in making those goals and any other fitness goals you have. If they think that you are not giving it your all, you would probably be a happier person if they just sent you home instead.

I think a common misconception amongst a lot of applicants is that they will go and get in shape while at Depot. You should be in the best shape of your life when you are going tp Depot because if you go there out of shape you are going to be tired and run down all day, which will affect all the other things you do there. You will also be worried about failing out on the PARE, which should be the last of your concerns.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
The PARE isn't hard to do in under four minutes and like PROWL said, if you can't do it in under 4 minutes you should not be applying to a police force. PARE is the only test they are going to send you home if you don't make the bench mark. The fitness facilitators are mainly focused on effort and improvement on everything else. If they know you are working your hardest to reach the bench marks they will do everything they can to help you out in making those goals and any other fitness goals you have. If they think that you are not giving it your all, you would probably be a happier person if they just sent you home instead.

I think a common misconception amongst a lot of applicants is that they will go and get in shape while at Depot. You should be in the best shape of your life when you are going tp Depot because if you go there out of shape you are going to be tired and run down all day, which will affect all the other things you do there. You will also be worried about failing out on the PARE, which should be the last of your concerns.
^^^ what's been said here is super true. I saw many people who looked like they literally were rolled off the plane. I'm not sure how they made it past the initial PARE in the recruiting process, but for the most part, few stayed past the first week.

In case it isn't anywhere on the website, part of the physical component at Depot is completing a minimum of 5 fitness competencies per week for the duration of training. 2 resistance/weight work outs, and 3 cardio work outs. That is generally on top of all the in-class exercise done throughout the week.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #50
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I did my 1st pare in 3:58, I know quite high, but that was after being pretty sick with strep throat. I really though I wouldnt recover in time to pass.
Dan_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote