REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #76
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThug View Post
they still have sky marshalls?
yes they do, they're called air marshalls, its a good gig but hard to make it and there are few spots available
Advertisement
PR0WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #77
I bringith the lowerballerith

You also have to keep lots of secrets. Everyone that I've come across that has done it is very tight-lipped about things that to me seem like it'd be "average" and non-sensitive information.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #78
Need to Seek Professional Help

Will the hiring still be as high in demand after 2010? Or will it narrow down since the spots have been filled? thanks

Last edited by PHO?; 11-15-2008 at 07:03 PM.
PHO? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #79

Its probably going to continue to be high for the next 5-10 years from what I've heard discussed.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 11-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #80

Really? thats great news, because i was rushing into applying before 2010 even though i was not really ready yet. thanks sho_bc
Old 11-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #81

Once you've got everything organized that you'll need to have organized for the whole process, apply. It took me 18 months to be sent to Depot from the day I applied.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #82
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
After 2010 there will be a huge exodus, even bigger than now. We are hundreds short in BC now and it will get worse for a long time before it gets better. If you ever wanted to get in it has never been easier than right now.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #83
NSX
NA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
After 2010 there will be a huge exodus, even bigger than now. We are hundreds short in BC now and it will get worse for a long time before it gets better. If you ever wanted to get in it has never been easier than right now.

I wouldnt say it is any easier. I mean, the process hasnt changed and if you dont fit the profile of what they are looking for, I doubt they will look past certain things. Their demand and active advertising for recruits is desperate, but it probably just means that the more people who apply, the more they can choose from, hence, the more people get turned away.
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #84
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I was on a waiting list for 8 years when I applied, they had huge minority quotas and lost many excellent non-minority potential recruits to other forces. A white male had a 5% chance of being accepted. The numerical quotas are gone and they are now hiring on ability alone. You can get in in 83 days now, not 8 years and they are really pushing everything they have to get qualified new members ASAP. To me that means it is easier.

Last edited by zulutango; 11-16-2008 at 06:27 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #85
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
for VPD, once you get sworn in, is that when you start getting paid? or does it start on the first day of Block I?

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #86
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i am glad i started this thread! Now when i have another question, I don't have to ask it, because chances are it was already answered here =)
Dan_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #87

Its also a great resource for anyone else interested in applying.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #88
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD604 View Post
for VPD, once you get sworn in, is that when you start getting paid? or does it start on the first day of Block I?
From my understanding from my basic research for the VPD, you get paid during block 1 & 2, but then again you have to pay the tuition for you training, which is close to $9,000 or so (not sure of this exact #, so DONT quote me on this).

I believe for VPD you have an option of payng for your tuition by having it taken off every paycheck (like $100 or so and can take you a few years). AGAIN, do not quote me.

so if you think of it this way, you're really paying yourself during training.

if i am completely wrong here, please clear this up.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #89
MOD

^^ yes, you are right. The tuition fee of $9500 which will be deducted from each paycheque in small amounts until it is paid in full.

Set up through the VPD Credit Union, a low interest loan that can come out as a payroll deduction over a 4 year period.

Quote:

Last edited by Gh0stRider; 11-17-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #90

so, today i am home sick with the cold (well day two and the cold is ending) and decided to go for a run since the weather is so nice. i attempted the 5 mile for the first time in my life. whoever said that they did their 5 mile in 38 minute, you sir, are a machine.

my shins hurt. oh well, i guess i just have to keep on practicing.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #91
Banned (ABWS)

im sure they would take whoever they can get.
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #92
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsdeman View Post
im sure they would take whoever they can get.
I doubt that. They want the best applicants and wont lower their standards just to fulfill their hiring quota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 View Post
so, today i am home sick with the cold (well day two and the cold is ending) and decided to go for a run since the weather is so nice. i attempted the 5 mile for the first time in my life. whoever said that they did their 5 mile in 38 minute, you sir, are a machine.

my shins hurt. oh well, i guess i just have to keep on practicing.
5 miles? damn. Im still working on my 1.5 mile

Quote:

Last edited by Gh0stRider; 11-18-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #93

Well, I had an excellent running partner to help me pace my run. It was a tough run though, running into the wind on the way out, and diagonally into the wind on the way back. But then, all runs in Depot are like that. The guy I ran with though, he ran a 33.XX minute 5 mile when he tested his.

If your shins are hurting, ice them and LOTS of stretching. The biggest thing that helped me combat and get over my shin splints while at Depot (and what saved me from being back trooped because of it) was icing and stretching. It got pretty bad, so I was icing my shins every night and stretching 4-8 times per day. Don't let it get bad, especially before you even get there.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #94

#1 So during my criminology class i had the other week, a Sargent from the RCMP came in and talked about recruiting. He said everyone do things in life that they regret, but there are some things an applicant can't do or else its considered as a "out the door", such as drug trafficking. So what if a specific person did in fact trafficked drug in the past, is there anything he/she can do to get in? Or is it game over for the policing career, Thanks

#2 One more thing, is it possible for one to fail an interview if the questions he/she answered made the applicant look bad, the person answered many questions with a bad answer, but the person answered each and every question truthfully. Referring to the first question, everyone makes mistake is the past, but did not lie at all. Thanks

Last edited by PHO?; 11-18-2008 at 07:43 PM.
PHO? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #95

hey sho_bc thanks for the pointers. shin splints went away soon after the run during the cool down. they are more just there during the last mile (aka the death mile!).

wait... you can get back trooped because of shin splints? haha

and PHO?.. if this specific person is yourself, the only thing i can tell you is to be honest and open with yourself, the answers you give, and the whole process. i'm near the end of the process (and even im not 100% sure i will get in.. depending what my references are saying about me, but so far they have been good.. i hope), and the only thing i can tell you is that they do not, in anyway, try to trick you. you are given everything before hand and so you and they should know the answers by the time they ask you in person.

what i have been told through out the process is that NO ONE IS PERFECT, but it's the integrity of the person they are looking for and that is basic for ANY job. why would someone hire you knowing that they already lied to you during an interview? what normal company would do that?

Last edited by fukkeneh240; 11-18-2008 at 09:04 PM.
fukkeneh240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #96

Shin splints themselves won't get you backtrooped, but the inability to participate in fitness and PDT classes can/will. If you can't complete the requirements of the training program, be it in fitness, driving, applied police science, etc etc etc, a few things can happen. A few of those things are being sent home (to fully recover from injury, for example), backtrooped to make up and learn skills that might have been missed, make up testing in a way that won't kill your body in the last week and prevent you from being operational the day you graduate...
Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #97
MOD

I went to another info session tonite for VPD, and they said No one is perfect and to just disclose everything and they'll decide if your in or out.

Quote:

Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #98

let's say they decide that your out, does it hurt to apply again in the future? Or is it totally over?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #99

That'd be something to ask them. Sometimes they might tell you that you need to wait X number of years and try again, or they might say that whatever it was you've done pushes the line too much, thanks for your interest though.

It never hurts to ask or to try.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #100

so i was talking to a coworker today, whose boyfriend is a member at a certain detachment across the river from vancouver (south).. gee i wonder where that could be. LOL. he did his 5 mile in 30 min and apparently he said that is the average. holy sh*t. i understand he is a tall guy and his strides are longer and what not.. but wow. 30 min. that's almost half the time i took yesterday. is this something i should be worried about?