REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i'd suggest you to stick and puck and see how you like skating with a stick in your hand and shoot around for a bit. there's usually some beginners there doing the same but there's an abundance of good players there as well so dont feel too discourage if you decide to try it. if stick and puck piqued your interest even more in ice hockey then you should go and invest in some gear
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
What exactly is Stick and Puck?
Is it a drop-in thing to practice puck handling and shooting and stuff?
Is full equipment required?? Is equipment rental available? etc

Where can I find more info about the pricing and all that stuff.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-24-2008 at 08:41 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #28
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
What exactly is Stick and Puck?
Is it a drop-in thing to practice puck handling and shooting and stuff?
Is full equipment required?? Is equipment rental available? etc

Where can I find more info about the pricing and all that stuff.
Think of it like public ice skating, except everyone has a stick and a puck to play around with. The only requirements are gloves and helmet, and you're not allowed to organize a game(s).
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Just borrow equipment. i'm sure you know ppl with extra sets. Then go try it out and see if you like it or not.
Quote:
Originally posted by phatboyWhat about the 2nd period?
flawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Think of it like public ice skating, except everyone has a stick and a puck to play around with. The only requirements are gloves and helmet, and you're not allowed to organize a game(s).
Nice! where can I join? Kinda excited and pumped up for it.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #31
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Richmond Ice Center is the best. 9am to 3pm.

Otherwise 8 rinks, but I don't recommend it.

Richmond is the best and the only place you should go for stick and puck! It's only $5.55 and you get to have 6 hrs of ice time.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #32
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Nice! where can I join? Kinda excited and pumped up for it.
http://www.icesports.com/Burnaby_Dro...s.ashx?lang=en
this is 8-rinks, but more or less its usually 10:30-12:15 and again at 2:45-4:15 every monday-friday.. Saturday has the morning skate, but i would not recommend it because they are alway full... they max out at 24 people and 24 on the ice at once there really isn't much room to move. Weekdays average about 6-10 skaters.

It's $8 at the moment. And they require helmet and gloves

Richmond runs one also
think its 9-3 at $5-$6, but you should call them before heading down there because i personally haven't found an online schedule for them yet.

Theres probably more out there but those are the ones i go to.

as for the pick up, went to it this week and i find its a good place to get some confidence with the puck and just try somethings out while in a quasi-game environment.
shishkabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkabobo View Post
http://www.icesports.com/Burnaby_Dro...s.ashx?lang=en
this is 8-rinks, but more or less its usually 10:30-12:15 and again at 2:45-4:15 every monday-friday.. Saturday has the morning skate, but i would not recommend it because they are alway full... they max out at 24 people and 24 on the ice at once there really isn't much room to move. Weekdays average about 6-10 skaters.

It's $8 at the moment. And they require helmet and gloves

Richmond runs one also
think its 9-3 at $5-$6, but you should call them before heading down there because i personally haven't found an online schedule for them yet.

Theres probably more out there but those are the ones i go to.

as for the pick up, went to it this week and i find its a good place to get some confidence with the puck and just try somethings out while in a quasi-game environment.
R.I.C. and Minoru's schedules are available here:

http://www.richmond.ca/parksrec/arenas/adulthockey.htm
Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #34
Banned (ABWS)?

Damn, honestly all these times are horrible for stick and puck

Mon-Fri work 8:00-5:30. Won't even get home until 6:30pm. Any sessions for people that work office hours?

Feeling so depressed now. Ice hockey must really hate me.

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-25-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 AM   #35
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^^ There should be a stick and puck in bby early in the morning on the weekends, i'm not sure exactly when but i think it's hella early
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #36
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Mon-Fri work 8:00-5:30. Won't even get home until 6:30pm. Any sessions for people that work office hours?
Depending on where you work, I do believe Brittania has a stick and puck session on fridays starting at 12 noon.
I've been contemplating of bringing my skates and going to stick and puck as I can take a 2 hour lunch on fridays. Sure beats going to chinatown and eating a big lunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #37
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
^^ There should be a stick and puck in bby early in the morning on the weekends, i'm not sure exactly when but i think it's hella early
That would work best. lol. Doesn't matter how early, i'll be awake for it.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #38
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
That would work best. lol. Doesn't matter how early, i'll be awake for it.
Just a warning, it's not about how early that time slot is, it's how early you want to get to stick & puck. You could show up 30 minutes early and be out of a spot as they only have a limit of 24 and you're competing with other stick & puckers who are showing up early for a spot. Burnaby 8 is notorios for being busy.

I don't bother with it as it's almost a competition to get in. If you want to go for a guaranteed stick & puck, you should go to your friends pick up games (or like the pick up posted by the OP).

Usually there's a 10 - 15 minute warm up before a game starts which you can use for stick & puck. I'd say just bring a glove and a helmet and at least you get a goalie to shoot around a bit. Do this enough or for a few weeks and eventually you'll get the hang of it or confidence to play a pick up game.

Last edited by Noir; 11-25-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #39
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Just a warning, it's not about how early that time slot is, it's how early you want to get to stick & puck. You could show up 30 minutes early and be out of a spot as they only have a limit of 24 and you're competing with other stick & puckers who are showing up early for a spot. Burnaby 8 is notorios for being busy.

I don't bother with it as it's almost a competition to get in. If you want to go for a guaranteed stick & puck, you should go to your friends pick up games (or like the pick up posted by the OP).

Usually there's a 10 - 15 minute warm up before a game starts which you can use for stick & puck. I'd say just bring a glove and a helmet and at least you get a goalie to shoot around a bit. Do this enough or for a few weeks and eventually you'll get the hang of it or confidence to play a pick up game.

From the looks of it, the stick and puck session schedules don't match up with mines. Only 8 rinks does, but everyone said it's too crowded there. I probably won't bother with stick and puck then. The only thing that actually attracted me was that I only needed minimal equipment to be able to participate, and all I really want is just to skate around and handle a puck.

I am noob with the equipment too though, so I probably don't exactly know how to put everything on properly. Well, I'm pretty sure everything's self explainatory. I'm not at the "hockey" sport. Just that I have never put anything on before, and I could imagine an embarrassing situation when somethings put on backward or something's hanging out.

For these pick-up games the OP posted, everyone there has full equipment more or less, right? It would seem silly to come for the 10-15 minute warmup and pay $15. Unless I can do it for free?

I'll go look at some gloves and sticks during my lunch break at sportchek. If I can get my hands on some stuff, maybe I'll be able to join you guys on dec 13.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #40

Which way do you shoot and how tall are you?
I have a bunch of left handed sticks that I don't use anymore and would be perfect for beginner's. Only down side is I am like Wellwood, and play with a short stick.

As for gear, it is really hard to put it on wrong. It's not like you are going to wear a jock around your face like a facemask.
If you really wanna go cheap, set yourself a budget and stick to it.
I'd say $100 for skates.
$30-50 for shin pads. $50 for pants.
$50 for elbow pads. $15 for jock/gater belt combo.
$10-15 for socks, and $30 for a practice jersey.
$50 for helmet and $30 for a cheap cage.
$50 for gloves and $20 for a cheap stick.

Things I have at home if someone is in need of cheap gear.
CCM pants, blue large size.
Old practice jersey's.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #41
Banned (ABWS)?

I just came back from Sportchek, can't believe I spent over an hour there in the hockey section. Quite overwhelmed by all the different stuff and sizes, considering I know squat. Like how long should your stick be? I tried to remember to take in consideration I will probably be 2 or 3 inches taller with skates. I personally like using shorter sticks for better control. But are you supposed to be arching your back or somethign when you play? For gloves, I found 13.5" to fit snuggly, my fingers right at the tips. 14" felt more roomy but more comfort. I don't know is "roomy" a good thing in hockey though. (btw, the gloves were VIC xcaliber. only $34.99) RBK 1K $90 skates, I'm either size 8 or 9. Once again, 8 fit snuggly, 9 was more roomy. I heard hockey players use small skates though for better mobility?? I think on rollerblades I'm a 8, but I wear 9 in normal shoes.
I guess I should really just ask the salespeople for help, but being at Sportchek with commision, some of those guys really put unnecessary pressure on the customers. Kind of annoying.

I'm very small built.. Picture a typical skinny asian guy. I'm 5'7", most stuff in order to fit me will have to be "S". 32-34" waist or something. I use right handed sticks.. haha no luck there. Can't borrow your stick. I could use practice jerseys (as long as they have been washed ) but I have a feeling they may be too big for me. But how much bigger should a jersey be than your normal shirt size, to compensate for all that gear you have on.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #42

Looks like we are taking over on this thread.
I guess I'll do the right thing and start a new thread for you.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #43
Banned (ABWS)?

Where's the new thread? or are you telling me to make a new thread? lol
Old 11-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #44
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,243 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Which way do you shoot and how tall are you?
I have a bunch of left handed sticks that I don't use anymore and would be perfect for beginner's. Only down side is I am like Wellwood, and play with a short stick.

As for gear, it is really hard to put it on wrong. It's not like you are going to wear a jock around your face like a facemask.
If you really wanna go cheap, set yourself a budget and stick to it.
I'd say $100 for skates.
$30-50 for shin pads. $50 for pants.
$50 for elbow pads. $15 for jock/gater belt combo.
$10-15 for socks, and $30 for a practice jersey.
$50 for helmet and $30 for a cheap cage.
$50 for gloves and $20 for a cheap stick.

Things I have at home if someone is in need of cheap gear.
CCM pants, blue large size.
Old practice jersey's.
Damn..that's starting to add up! It'll be like $300 for equipment + * x $15 each time you go, I think it'll hit $500~
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeTWorKz View Post
Damn..that's starting to add up! It'll be like $300 for equipment + * x $15 each time you go, I think it'll hit $500~
Going from memory, some of the high end gear without any discount (just for the sake of number crunching)
Pump 9K skates $580ish
9K shin pads $100
Pro RBK pants $200
Jock/socks $35ish
Pro-grade gloves $200
Pro-grade shoulder pads $150
9K helmet $100+
9K elbow pads $100
9K OPS $250
Oakley Visor $85+
And this is all before tax. Approx $1800 before tax to look like a pro. =P

Goalies are a lot more $$$ too.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #46
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

whats a place to go if i want to just start up ice hockey? i dont really have any experience other than PE class in highschool. Im looking to play a goalie position too.
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #47
Banned (ABWS)?

Oh, btw, how much physical contact is there gonna be at these sessons?
Are there gonna be a lot of bumping or harder bodychecking?
And how are positions determined? and how much ice time do people get on shifts? etc

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-25-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #48
F3
My homepage has been set to RS

barely any physical contact unless u accidentally run into ppl.
ur either going to be a forward of a defenceman and shift will be until ur tired, which is usually around a minute.
F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #49
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Oh, btw, how much physical contact is there gonna be at these sessons?
Are there gonna be a lot of bumping or harder bodychecking?
And how are positions determined? and how much ice time do people get on shifts? etc
theres no bodychecking, but shit happens and thats why you want full gear to minimize the potential damage. Its newbie hockey and people skate with their head down, can't really stop, or can't dance around people so again shit happens. Bumping into each other on the other hand is different because its part of the game. People will battle for the puck and that sometimes means having to touch each other.

you just play were you want... no one really plays positions during pick up anyways. I never saw anyone covering the point :P You usually divided into fowards or defense, thats if you have enough people otherwise you just roll the bench.

The amount of ice time varies depending on how many per side (if theres only 5 people then you're never getting off :P)
shishkabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #50
Banned (ABWS)?

YAY! I hope only 12 people show up including goalies!

lol..

btw, if I want to sign up for dec 13, should I email the OP? Is that the procedure? Pay when I get there?

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-26-2008 at 11:49 AM.