REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Newbie Drop in Hockey (https://www.revscene.net/forums/548077-newbie-drop-hockey.html)

Keroleen 10-02-2008 09:27 AM

Newbie Drop in Hockey

Newbie Drop-In Hockey
Dates: Saturdays from 18Oct-21March EXCEPT every FIRST Saturday the ice time will be used for my teams practice. (No ice Dec 27)
Venue: Burnaby Lake Arena
Time: 23:00-00:15
Cost: $15/skater (pre-pay option available)

I am looking for some committed players but must be more or less beginner-intermediate. Looking for some fun people who just wanna have a good time. This is co-ed. There will be a fair number of women.

If interested please email: kbi.hockey@gmail.com

Richmond69er 10-15-2008 09:35 AM

is this still going on?

Obsideon 10-15-2008 11:52 AM

Oooh I would love to try this too bad it's Sat only, working :(

Keroleen 10-15-2008 01:51 PM

email to kbi.hockey@gmail.com if you are interested....we dont check this site very often.
Its open to everyone but the skill level is VERY beginner.
every saturday until March (except the first saturday of each month)

40ft e-Peen 11-06-2008 12:50 PM

I think SPH and KBI wouldn't mix, so I'd rather not join. =) I see you guys have practices..you guys are so co-ordinated. I don't even know half the members on my team.

ed_pow_rs 11-07-2008 10:35 AM

Any player is welcome to join as long as you come out to have fun. If you or your friends are interested in coming out, please contact Kero at the email address listed in the previous post.

SR604 11-12-2008 03:09 AM

Can I wear shoes?

Gumby 11-12-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR604 (Post 6118164)
Can I wear shoes?

Haha I'd like to see you play ice hockey while wearing regular shoes.

Nvasion 11-12-2008 04:16 PM

regular shoes ARE OKAY

wacko604 11-13-2008 07:38 PM

is full hockey gear needed?

Keroleen 11-15-2008 02:49 PM

absolutZERO 11-19-2008 06:04 AM

Anybody from RS coming out to these?

AzNightmare 11-21-2008 01:48 PM

What is your definition of beginner?
I have a friend from HK and he hasn't seen snow in his life before...
Somehow, he actually knows how to skate though. But holding a hockey stick, not so sure about that...

Noir 11-21-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 6134401)
What is your definition of beginner?
I have a friend from HK and he hasn't seen snow in his life before...
Somehow, he actually knows how to skate though. But holding a hockey stick, not so sure about that...

Played with these guys a bit. They're a good group and provide a healthy enviro for ultra beginners.

Maybe you should swing by and watch a pick up session with these guys for a few minutes and judge whether your friend is comfortable enough playing or if he needs a few more stick and puck sessions before actually playing hockey.

or,

You can play by yourself and judge the group and environment for yourself and see if your friend can handle it the next time round.

AzNightmare 11-24-2008 09:20 AM

I might be interested myself. But I'm not all that great either.
I played street hockey back in elementary and highschool, but never played on ice before. I don't even have a player hockey stick actually, cause I used to play goalie. lol

So is full equipment required? Because I don't have anything, like the body protection, hockey pants, jersey, etc.

And 23:00-00:15, is that friday 11pm - sat 12:15am? or sat 11pm - sun 12:15am? I'm confused.

SumAznGuy 11-24-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 6138597)
I might be interested myself. But I'm not all that great either.
I played street hockey back in elementary and highschool, but never played on ice before. I don't even have a player hockey stick actually, cause I used to play goalie. lol

So is full equipment required? Because I don't have anything, like the body protection, hockey pants, jersey, etc.

And 23:00-00:15, is that friday 11pm - sat 12:15am? or sat 11pm - sun 12:15am? I'm confused.

You do realize that they use black rubber pucks right?
The bare minimum I would wear is shin pads, pants, jock, elbow pads, helmet, gloves, and of course jersey. And no, running shoes is not a good idea.

If you are a non-skater or playing with non-skaters, a chest protector and full face shield would be to your benefit.

And if there are pyscho's like me playing, better not act brave and try to block shots from the point. :thumbsup:

BTW, if it was friday 11 pm, he would have said that.
The fact he said 11 pm, saturday's, then I would expect start at 11 pm saturday and end at 12:30 am sunday morning.

HonestTea 11-24-2008 02:46 PM

I might be interested as well....hmmm....

Let's say you absolutely have no hockey equipment? How much approx. are you looking to spend(for full-gear)? I'm assuming $130 for skates already..

SumAznGuy 11-24-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeTWorKz (Post 6138997)
I might be interested as well....hmmm....

Let's say you absolutely have no hockey equipment? How much approx. are you looking to spend(for full-gear)? I'm assuming $130 for skates already..

For brand new gear, expect to pay around $130-$200 for skates, $50 for shin pads, $50-75 for pants, $15 for jock, $60 for elbow pads, $100 for gloves, $65 for a helmet.

Some of this stuff you can find used or on sale if you look around.

absolutZERO 11-24-2008 02:59 PM

My advice would be... the less experienced you are, the more equipment you should wear. ;D

Off the top of my head, if you wanted to skimp as much as possible...

Helmet: $40+
Cage/Shield: $30+
Shoulders: $40+
Elbows: $25+
Gloves: $60+
Pants: $60+
Shins: $30+
Socks: $10
Jock+Shorts: $25+
Skates and sticks are up to an individual.

So maybe... $300 + stick and skates.

But I haven't been out and about shopping for a while... so you might be able to find cheap stuff at places like SportMart, etc., whereas places like Cyclone's and Ice Level will be more expensive.

Or you can order online which will be the cheapest, but if you've never fitted your own gear before, you might stab yourself in the foot that way.

Edit: Completely beaten to the punch by SumAznGuy. lol

Noir 11-24-2008 03:13 PM

^^^ The above numbers are pretty bang on.

Though, do keep in mind that THS (for sure) and I think Cyclone (Vancouver) as well offers start up package deals. You may want to inquire about that.

You may also want to look into Sports Exchange in Burrard but I personally like THS, Cyclone (Vancouver) & Larrys in North Van.

SumAznGuy 11-24-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutZERO (Post 6139010)
But I haven't been out and about shopping for a while... so you might be able to find cheap stuff at places like SportMart, etc., whereas places like Cyclone's and Ice Level will be more expensive.

Or you can order online which will be the cheapest, but if you've never fitted your own gear before, you might stab yourself in the foot that way.

All good points, especially about fitting the gear.
If you know what you need, great, but if you don't then it is best to get fitted.
With the gear, you get what you pay for. The cheaper gear is usually a little bulkier, or offers less protection than some of the higher end gear.
The cheaper gear is usually a little heavier too.

My GF tried to order me some gloves off of ebay and when they arrived, there were too small for me. Luckily she managed to sell them for more $$$ than she bought them so she actually made money on the.

Noir 11-24-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 6139038)
With the gear, you get what you pay for. The cheaper gear is usually a little bulkier, or offers less protection than some of the higher end gear.

But we're talking about newbs. It's also completely ridiculous if they go completely on the deep end too soon. Imagine how ridiculous it would be to see a beginner on RBK 8K helmets with Oakley Ovechkin tinted visors, Easton Stealth hockey stick and graf skates.

I think cheaping out is fine. Hockey is only a potentially dangerous sport which only escalates depending on the skill level of the game you're playing. But considering this pick up group in question, I really find it hard that one will get seriously injured. Other than the odd bruises or sore mucles.

SumAznGuy 11-24-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 6139059)
But we're talking about newbs. It's also completely ridiculous if they go completely on the deep end too soon. Imagine how ridiculous it would be to see a beginner on RBK 8K helmets with Oakley Ovechkin tinted visors, Easton Stealth hockey stick and graf skates.

I think cheaping out is fine. Hockey is only a potentially dangerous sport which only escalates depending on the skill level of the game you're playing. But considering this pick up group in question, I really find it hard that one will get seriously injured. Other than the odd bruises or sore mucles.

Everything in moderation. It would be an extreme to see a noob in RBK 9K pump skates, with a 9K OPS, and all the other high end 9K/NHL equivelent gear but it happens.
That being said, I spent a bit of money on new gear this year and some of the lower end stuff I tried on just wasn't worth it. It was a fine balance between lightweight/flexability vs protection. I ended up going with the Reebok pro-returns. They offered way better protection than any other pants that I tried on.
As for shin pads, the last ones I bought were $30 on sale at sport chek. First game I ended up cracking the left knee shell. I also cracked the right one 2 months later.

BAsically, what I meant to say is don't go for something based on the lable or the price. Somewhere in the middle should be a happy medium for protection vs ease to play in.

AzNightmare 11-24-2008 05:19 PM

I won't be able to join until Dec 13th at the earliest. This sat I'm busy. So I have some time to get some stuff. I've been contacting whomever at the email provided. So I got some info. They don't have anything for rental so I gotta buy the whole collection of gear most likely. I can skate pretty decent with some speed, but I can't "hockey stop" and I can't shoot.

But December is "hell" month. gf birthday, anniversary, christmas. I don't know if I can fork up the $300 for hockey gear as well all within one month.

BTW, don't you guys play on a regular league or some club? Overqualified? haha

SumAznGuy 11-24-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 6139251)
But December is "hell" month. gf birthday, anniversary, christmas. I don't know if I can fork up the $300 for hockey gear as well all within one month.

BTW, don't you guys play on a regular league or some club? Overqualified? haha

I don't play with this group, so you are safe from my cannon, for now. ;)

Since you've never played before and money is an issue, try looking at some of the used gear/consignment places.
Or ask people to borrow unused gear.
Even if you had the money, it's not wise to spend $300 on gear to use it twice before you realize it isn't as much fun as you thought.