REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   buying hockey gear online (https://www.revscene.net/forums/549883-buying-hockey-gear-online.html)

SumAznGuy 10-19-2008 10:19 AM

buying hockey gear online

I need some new hockey gear and have been to a bunch of the local stores like Cyclone Taylor and Scoffs.

Are there are online sites that would be recommended?

I think i know what I want, and want to save some $$$ by buying online.

6thGear. 10-19-2008 11:47 AM

i buy from hockeygiant.com . pretty fast shipping. theres also hockeymonkey, but i prefer hockeygiant. good thing for either sites is that they will send you some really good coupon deals every so often for almost anything, jerseys, hockey bags, OPS, skates, etc. i pretty much buy all my stuff online, unless i need something asap, i go to the stores then.

Nvasion 10-19-2008 03:36 PM

shipping for hockeygiant isnt that cheap though..

SumAznGuy 10-19-2008 05:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I need new skates and I can only wear CCM skates as I need a wide skate, and the arch on Bauer skates do not agree with my feet
I'm thinking of the RBK 5K skates. It seems like no one in town has any in size 7 1/2 to try on.

Any good hockey gear review sites?

strike66 10-19-2008 06:16 PM

www.modsquadhockey.com

most user reviews u will find anywhere

RayBot 10-19-2008 09:59 PM

rbk skates are treating me well, and i have fat feet as well. I actaully do have the 5k skates that you are talking about.

Before you go online....try the Hockey Shop in surrey. They sell some really good equipment at prices that i would say beats the competition. The service is so good there that i bring my skates there just to get sharpened....and i live in richmond.

As for skates prices....no different in price, but sticks, pads apparel and other gear, you'll find a difference there. Just got my TPS Respnonse 1pc there for $60, and one of the best sticks i have used thus far.

Its on King George and 104, right across from where the Brick used to be.

mickz 10-19-2008 10:56 PM

Best Hockey Reviews = ModSquadHockey.com as mentioned but most of their reviews are for top of the line models.

If you're buying online the best places to buy from are HockeyGiant.com or HockeyMonkey.com You could always get the stuff shipped to Point Roberts and then drive down there to pick it up to save some money on shipping cost. Not to mention you'll save a ton on the actual gear too.

I bought my skates locally from Cyclones for $299.99 and the same exact ones are $179.99 on HockeyGiant. I needed skates right away, baked and to fit properly, otherwise I would've bought them online.

But the thing is, if you go into a store to try on different skates, buy from them. It's frowned upon to get fitted in store and then purchase from another company online.

SumAznGuy 10-19-2008 11:36 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.
I went to a few different shops but none of them had the 7 1/2's in stock, so I hope no one frowns on me when I go buy them from someone who does have them in stock.

6thGear. 10-19-2008 11:54 PM

i don;t know how much you trust ebay, but thats another place to look for deals. i bought a pair of Bauer vapor XXII skates for $180 shipped. brand new. paid $40 to get them contoured sharpened and got it baked for free up here. if your not in a rush, onlines the best, cause then you can shop around.

Agent X 10-20-2008 12:28 AM

I got my equipment off Hockey monkey.. Got it shipped to point roberts, n just picked it up.

waddy41 10-21-2008 12:09 PM

any more local stores?
or online stores?

mickz 10-21-2008 12:20 PM

I'm not sure where you're close to but you could also check out Ice Level Sports in Richmond, and Scoff's Hockey Shop (they're still around right?) in Burnaby. If you're looking for older models, there's The Sports Exchange in Vancouver.

As for online you could also go to www.hockeyworld.com, they're operated by a big reputable company in the states called Perani's. I've never ordered from them but from what I hear they're a legit company.

SumAznGuy 10-21-2008 01:15 PM

For me, I went to Scoff's. They were out of stock, and didn't have anyother models in my size to try on. I will have to try Ice Level.
I even went to Sport Check at Metrotown but they were out of my size. = (

mickz 10-21-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 6082787)
For me, I went to Scoff's. They were out of stock, and didn't have anyother models in my size to try on. I will have to try Ice Level.
I even went to Sport Check at Metrotown but they were out of my size. = (

The PC Sportchek would be the best one to go to for hockey gear since that's supposed to be their "Specialty Shop" for Vancouver. I usually steer away from Sportchek unless I already know what I want to buy and they're selling it for crazy cheap.

I've been in there countless times just to encounter staff who have never even played hockey. I don't blame the staff, I blame the company for putting them there.

SumAznGuy 10-21-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 6082829)
The PC Sportchek would be the best one to go to for hockey gear since that's supposed to be their "Specialty Shop" for Vancouver. I usually steer away from Sportchek unless I already know what I want to buy and they're selling it for crazy cheap.

Thanks for the heads up. I wanted to go to Sportchek to see if they had a skate in 7 1/2e that I could try on. I'm close by to downtown, I'll just swing by there during my lunch break.

But reading up on some reviews, there have been some reports of the pumps failing or the bags not holding air after 2 months of use. That and the constant complaints about the replaceable blades.

m3thods 10-21-2008 06:58 PM

I live really close to cyclone taylors in coquitlam, but after visiting the hockey shop in surrey i think I'll get more expensive stuff there. the selection is far superior to cyclone, scoffs, and the sports exchange which ive been to.

however i do goto cyclones for sharpening, as they are better than THS imo.

as for your skates, the rbk 5ks are notorious for pump failures which you already mentioned. if you can find the old rbk 8k, 7k, which should cleared well below their original prices id suggest those. they have the rbk fit of the 5/9k but without the pump. they are also priced lower than the pump versions- which are there for vanity imo.

www.thehockeyshop.com you should check out the site they have some SMU (special make up) models that you cant find anywhere else- and are usually the best of two different models. I recently got my NBH Supreme Comps there, which are basically the same price as the one55, but with the one75 liner, outsole, and steel.

and like someone mentioned already- do NOT go to sport chek for major equipment. tape jock helmet thats cool. but you are not going to get the same service for skates that you would at an actual hockey store. my friend got his skates baked when they werent supposed to (easton comp skates) and they fell apart in 3 months.

SumAznGuy 10-21-2008 08:58 PM

Well, taking Mickz advice, I went to PC Sportchek after work today and tried on some RBK pump skate they had on sale this week. The guy said it was the same thing as the 5K, but was marketed soley for SportChek.
For the most part, fit was good. Service was good. But the heel was a little loose for my liking. With the skates laced up and pulled tight, and all pumped up, I could still wiggle my foot around and my heal had a lot of movement.
I was reading on some reviews and one complaint was that the 5k has a wider heal than the old Tacks because of the pump and air sacks.

Any recommendations? I know M3thods suggested the 7K and 8K but i don't think anyone in Vancouver still carries those as they should have been discontinued long ago.

m3thods 10-22-2008 12:26 PM

hey sumaznguy,

if you like the rbk fit in the forefoot but the heel is too loose, try the bauer supreme comps in an EE (at the hockey shop). When the rbks came out i was all for them due to marketing, but after some research it was pretty much hype. and the fit was all wrong i the heel.

Myself I have a wider forefoot and a narrow heel, so traditional nike-bauer skates were a little narrow for my liking in the forefoot, but the heel lock was out of this world. i originally bought vapors (XVIs) as starter skates until i was comfortable again on my edges (i havent skated in a wihle). the vapors were narrow in the forefoot but i sucked it up and as i broke them in they became bearable. i tried on the one75 for fun since i didnt have cash (they were 500 :S), but i was absolutely amazed at how well they fit. the heel sunk in right from the start, and the boot wrapped around my foot right out of the box- without heating.

so since i had no cash i settled for the surpreme comps (which are like the one55 but with the one75 liner, outsole, and blade steel). its basically the same price as the 5ks (299ish) that you were looking at, as well as the one55s (also 299). after heating they felt like form fitting shoes, and were so comfy. after my first couple of drop in shifts they felt no different than the skates that took me months to get right. it was a significant upgrade in terms of structure and features, and this will probably be my last pair for a long time.

sorry for the long post, but all in all it sounds like you had the same problem as me with the rbk, and im just sharing my experience with going to an EE width nike bauer supreme skate. hope this helps!

m3thods

ps. there are 2 supreme comps - the newer one looks like nikebauer's one75. the old one looks like last models supreme 50. i have the newer one.

mickz 10-22-2008 12:39 PM

I'd go with the Nike Bauer skates if you're looking for a narrower heel like the poster above me has mentioned. You might opt for the Vapor line if the Supremes end up being TOO narrow for you. But again, you should just try on every skate that you can and see whichever one fits and feels the best.

m3thods 10-22-2008 03:17 PM

as i have both there is a substantial difference in heel width between the vapor and the supreme series. like mickz said above the vapors are wider in the heel. one of the major reasons that i switched over to the supreme was because after breaking in my vapors, the heel pocket stretched out, causing a loss in heel lock. also, you cannot bake the vapor XVIs (and I think the XXIIs as well) so you cant get a proper fit right away.

i didnt mention this but mickz hit it right on the head- keep doing what youre doing and try on more skates. there are too many skates in your price range to choose after just trying on a couple. youll be happier with yoru investment this way.

btw i fit really well in an easton boot as well, and imo have the best heel lock. but after hearing so many horror stories about durability i chose the nikebauers :thumbsup:

6thGear. 10-22-2008 06:54 PM

uh oh. are you sure about the bake on XXII's? cause i baked mine at the hockey shop and they didn't say anything about not being able to bake them

Nvasion 10-22-2008 07:40 PM

too lazy to google but how fars point roberts? from van

the_rickster 10-22-2008 08:07 PM

icewarehouse.com

even with shipping, it'll likely still be cheaper than local. i use the hockey shop in surrey though, when i feel like braving that terrible neighbrhood. rbk 9k pu gloves were $179 there, and $219 everywhere else.

$123 USD on the link i posted above, with shipping they came to less than hockey shops sticker price, but i needed them sooner than they could be shipped.

that being said, i have somerbk 8k 14" in great shape everywhere except the palm. selling for $20.

SumAznGuy 10-22-2008 09:53 PM

Thanks for the tips on the Bauer EE's, but unfortunately, I also have relatively flat feet and I can not get into any Bauers because of the high arch.
I did try on some Easton skates and they did feel pretty good on the right foot, but my left foot is slightly wider than the right. Too bad Sportchek didn't have it in a wider size as I tried a regular one.

I will take all this advice and go skate shopping this weekend.

6thGear. 10-22-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6085060)
too lazy to google but how fars point roberts? from van

like going to tsawwassen ferries. same distance. but instead of going straight for the ferries, you turn left and drive through tsawwassen. once through, you hit the pt roberts border