REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I was summoned to go for duty last month for a civil duty. I took the skytrain to pacific mall as transit is the cheapest and easiest mode of transportation to me.

Upon entering the courthouse, there was a line up forming by the sheriff's table. People were lining up to get their jury duty barcode scanned into the system. Once the paper is scanned, the sheriff returns the paper to you and have you sit in the area. There was a few lounge chairs, some stairway people sat on. There was about 80 people and not everybody get seats. Everybody was a stranger. Nobody spoke to each other. Not a fun atmosphere.

After more waiting, we were asked to enter a court room where the sheriff explained the civil trail to us and nature of the trial. The trial I was summoned to was an ICBC case, expected to last 19 business days. The sheriff told us what is to be expected throughout the day, selection process, lunch times, hours of court.

He told us that 8 people will be randomly selected. Once selected, we will line up in front of a microphone. Standing beside a microphone will be a sheriff and if you have any problems, hardships or whatever preventing you from serving, tell the sheriff when it is your turn. The judge will either accept your excuse or deny you. From there, the 2 lawyers will look at you and choose whether or not they want you to serve. The lawyer will say 'content' or 'challenge' and will not give you a reason if they say 'challenge'.

After that, he asked us to all go outside for washroom, make some phone calls, etc etc.

30 minutes passed and we were once again asked to enter that same courtroom again. Judge walked in, sat down. Explain the trial in more detail. Judge read out names of the defendant, plaintiff, and all the witnesses. If you know any of them, you cannot serve.

Sure enough, the court clerk then started calling up random people by jury # and name. She called out 8 at a time and one by one the people. If the person didnt mind serving or excuse was no good then they will sit in a big red chair behind the microphone. Most people who gave excuses were work related. If the judge thinks your excuse was valid, you will be dismissed and can go home (court will not pay you for the 1st day). This is the only time that I know of where you can pretend you are racist, sexist, etc but this is in front of 80+ people.

I was one of the lucky 72 people who got off of the trial so I dont know what happens beyond jury selection day. Bring a book, mp3 player, newspaper, NDS, or whatever. You will be bored.
Advertisement
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
my high school teacher had jury duty for 2 weeks. he said he was bored of out his mind.

I think the hours a day you serve may vary on different days but in the end they will pay you $20 a day. Or so my teacher told us.

After i got my first job, i read the employee manual and it said that if you get summoned for jury duty, the company will pay you your normal hourly wage for 8 hrs max per day minus the compensation you get from jury duty. But i guess you have to talk to your empoyer about this part if you are working right now.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

are you an asian male? if so, the chances of you getting picked from the pool is less than average. my law prof mentioned that asian males are avoided due to cultural leanings towards harsher punishments.
Synaptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaptik View Post
are you an asian male? if so, the chances of you getting picked from the pool is less than average. my law prof mentioned that asian males are avoided due to cultural leanings towards harsher punishments.
so asian females dunt carry the same view? ...

just read through the selection in the post above. i do not want to go through that. anybody sent in a letter and was a student?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
So the defense lawyer will want to pick people they think would be most likely to side with their defendent, and the other side will do the same...
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #31
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3seriesBeeM View Post
the only way out of jury duty is if you 1) you are a student 2) you are 65+ 3) if you are a lawyer 4) not sure but i think if you are a cop. and if you dont go to jury duty when you have been summoned by sherrifs office it is a criminal offence. Ya they give you some money for jury duty and they provide lunch etc.
There are many other ways... my mom's been summoned numerous times, but everytime we say that her English is not very good, and she's never had to follow up on it.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
how does one get chosen to become a jury?
that's your reward for voting
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
that's your reward for voting
lol, yeah. I had heard a long time ago that names for potential jurors are harvested from the registered voters list.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #34
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
I was summoned to go for duty last month for a civil duty. I took the skytrain to pacific mall as transit is the cheapest and easiest mode of transportation to me.

Upon entering the courthouse, there was a line up forming by the sheriff's table. People were lining up to get their jury duty barcode scanned into the system. Once the paper is scanned, the sheriff returns the paper to you and have you sit in the area. There was a few lounge chairs, some stairway people sat on. There was about 80 people and not everybody get seats. Everybody was a stranger. Nobody spoke to each other. Not a fun atmosphere.

After more waiting, we were asked to enter a court room where the sheriff explained the civil trail to us and nature of the trial. The trial I was summoned to was an ICBC case, expected to last 19 business days. The sheriff told us what is to be expected throughout the day, selection process, lunch times, hours of court.

He told us that 8 people will be randomly selected. Once selected, we will line up in front of a microphone. Standing beside a microphone will be a sheriff and if you have any problems, hardships or whatever preventing you from serving, tell the sheriff when it is your turn. The judge will either accept your excuse or deny you. From there, the 2 lawyers will look at you and choose whether or not they want you to serve. The lawyer will say 'content' or 'challenge' and will not give you a reason if they say 'challenge'.

After that, he asked us to all go outside for washroom, make some phone calls, etc etc.

30 minutes passed and we were once again asked to enter that same courtroom again. Judge walked in, sat down. Explain the trial in more detail. Judge read out names of the defendant, plaintiff, and all the witnesses. If you know any of them, you cannot serve.

Sure enough, the court clerk then started calling up random people by jury # and name. She called out 8 at a time and one by one the people. If the person didnt mind serving or excuse was no good then they will sit in a big red chair behind the microphone. Most people who gave excuses were work related. If the judge thinks your excuse was valid, you will be dismissed and can go home (court will not pay you for the 1st day). This is the only time that I know of where you can pretend you are racist, sexist, etc but this is in front of 80+ people.

I was one of the lucky 72 people who got off of the trial so I dont know what happens beyond jury selection day. Bring a book, mp3 player, newspaper, NDS, or whatever. You will be bored.
Good info,
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
lol, yeah. I had heard a long time ago that names for potential jurors are harvested from the registered voters list.
false. i've never voted in my life. and i got chosen for jury
Old 05-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #36
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Do you file taxes? Then your probably registered to vote at least I think thats how it works. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #37
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
My law teacher told us when she went for the "interview" or what ever its called there was a woman who dressed up like a lunatic and talked really slow. I suggest you bring a cat with you with a bow on its head and when they question you, you tell them that Mr. Cuddles comes everywhere with you.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #38
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Do you file taxes? Then your probably registered to vote at least I think thats how it works. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Registering with Elections Canada via your taxes is optional. You can select No on the tax return form if you don't want to, and if you do say yes, it's only valid for one year.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:04 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
hmm, good to hear my information is possibly incorrect. threezero, do you check off the box that says "share info with Elections Canada" when you file your yearly taxes?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
hmm, good to hear my information is possibly incorrect. threezero, do you check off the box that says "share info with Elections Canada" when you file your yearly taxes?
i will check with my aunt who files my taxes. make sure that doesn't get check next time around
Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #41
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
My friend was picked for jury duty and picked up a hot juror so it wasn't all that bad for him.
shiet, my friend's sister met her eventual husband through jury duty. but probably not the same person.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #42
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
My law teacher told us when she went for the "interview" or what ever its called there was a woman who dressed up like a lunatic and talked really slow. I suggest you bring a cat with you with a bow on its head and when they question you, you tell them that Mr. Cuddles comes everywhere with you.
......and then they lock you up. That would be epic.

I was summoned a few times for jury duty. Got out of all of them except the one time I really wanted to go. It happened to be the Robert Pickton case. I was so looking forward to being part of that. Unfortunatley, they phoned about two weeks prior to my date that the jury had been picked. I would have quit my job to be on that jury.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #43
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
......and then they lock you up. That would be epic.

I was summoned a few times for jury duty. Got out of all of them except the one time I really wanted to go. It happened to be the Robert Pickton case. I was so looking forward to being part of that. Unfortunatley, they phoned about two weeks prior to my date that the jury had been picked. I would have quit my job to be on that jury.
Why is that? So that you can potentially get a book deal afterwards?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #44
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
I love gory details and like to reinact them.........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #45
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
I love gory details and like to reinact them.........
Very normal

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #46
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

If you're a business owner, you don't need to go.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #47

i just go picked.........
i am a full time grad student, so i guess i can get out of this if i get a letter from my school?

in the back of the notice, it didn't say if i am a full time student i can get out of this.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #48

nvm. just check the website and confirmed that full time students are exempt.

now i will just go bug my department secretary. haha
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #49
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I wrote a letter on behalf of my mom stating that she does not possess very good fluency in English. That seemed to work
Old 12-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #50
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Aren't Canadian jurors banned from doing stuff like that? Unlike the states, where you always see people like the OJ simpson jurors on 20/20 talking about their experience. Kind of a shame though. I'd actually want to read about the Pickton case, although from what I have read, the jurors will never (understandably) be the same after hearing all that gruesome stuff. Kinda sad
Delish is offline   Reply With Quote