REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #76
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
I was driving on a sidestreet today that was icey. I have winter tires, but I couldn't brake at all. Are winter tires (I have Mich Pilot Alpins) supposed to be bad on ice?
Advertisement
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #77
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Yes, apparently the Pilot Alpins were crappy, according to several sites (Snowtire.info, Tire Rack tests).
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #78
RS Veteran

Dunlop Wintersport M3 for the past 2 years
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R this year
cdnav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #79
Total victory requires total destruction

Hankook iPike w409's work wonders..

2007 BMW 335i (Jet Black)
2009 Subaru Forester (Obsidian Black Pearl)
2017 Sierra Elevation Z71 (Dark Slate Metallic)
SaviorSelf_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude_2_NV View Post
I raise the PSI an extra pound or two and as for studding them after, I heard that you cannot once they are worn it.
damn, I wanna go RALLY FAST in the snow. :P
kind of silly, but yeah gotta quench my thirst for speed haha.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #81
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude_2_NV View Post
I raise the PSI an extra pound or two and as for studding them after, I heard that you cannot once they are worn it.
Screw that, litterally. Be like the ice racers and put in huge nuts and bolts into the tires to use as studded tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #82
Banned (ABWS)

Yokohama Winter AVS v901

works well in snow, but still have minor difficulty on ice and slush (have to go slow to start)

Last edited by Jermyzy; 12-15-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #83
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonSo13 View Post
whats your thoughts of it?
I have no problem with them on ice / snow. no abs act up like how I had all-seasons on. feel much better & safer driving with them than all-seasons.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #84
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Someone help out please. =] If I shop online at www.tirerack.com and I get quoted:

Excise Tax: $0.00
GST: $26.82
PST: $44.74
Duty: $32.48
Provincial Tire Fee: $20.00
Brokerage Fee: $20.00
Grand Total (USD): $710.78

Is this everything that I'd have to pay, including brokerage ( I know it says $20 there. )

I'm wondering if I should borrow my friend's US PO box, ship it straight to my house, or just buy locally.

Thanks!
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #85

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Ship it straight. That's all you'll get hit - TireRack has an agreement with UPS where UPS only charges you $20 and TireRack collects it, not UPS themselves.

EDIT: That's not including shipping, is it?

Last edited by roastpuff; 12-15-2008 at 07:05 PM.
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #86
dustinb

Pirelli Winter Carving 205/45/16's on my 96 4 door integra. This is the second season I've been running them and they're awesome. Very good in snow and on ice, plus also good just in wet. I would highly recommend them.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #87
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

hankook icebear w300's 185/65/15's on 15x6.5 +38 rims on my 4wd jdm pulsar gti-r. 5000rpm clutch dumps in the snow = off the line traction as if its wet out. great tire for non full icey conditions.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #88
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomoocow View Post
Someone help out please. =] If I shop online at www.tirerack.com and I get quoted:

Excise Tax: $0.00
GST: $26.82
PST: $44.74
Duty: $32.48
Provincial Tire Fee: $20.00
Brokerage Fee: $20.00
Grand Total (USD): $710.78

Is this everything that I'd have to pay, including brokerage ( I know it says $20 there. )

I'm wondering if I should borrow my friend's US PO box, ship it straight to my house, or just buy locally.

Thanks!
I've bought from TireRack 3 times and really, what they quote you is what you pay, in USD of course. Your credit card is probably gonna give you a shitty rate anyways. Determine if the shipping cost is worth your time. I rather get it delivered to my door. If it's coming from Nevada, it only takes like 2 business days if they have it in stock.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #89
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Ship it straight. That's all you'll get hit - TireRack has an agreement with UPS where UPS only charges you $20 and TireRack collects it, not UPS themselves.

EDIT: That's not including shipping, is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
I've bought from TireRack 3 times and really, what they quote you is what you pay, in USD of course. Your credit card is probably gonna give you a shitty rate anyways. Determine if the shipping cost is worth your time. I rather get it delivered to my door. If it's coming from Nevada, it only takes like 2 business days if they have it in stock.
Yeah it's including shipping, that was for Michelin Ice-X I2's but I'm leaning towards Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D's now. ( Total comes to $605.33 ) But sounds good I hate dealing with brokerage fees and stuff -.-

Thanks!!

Last edited by moomooCow; 12-15-2008 at 09:19 PM.
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #90
Banned (ABWS)

Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI
Can't be happier with these tires!!
BEST!
s2k_604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #91
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50

Great reviews on this tire and the price was cheap when i bought them at G5 last year.

Wear a bit quick, but the grip is amazing in snow. does well on ice compared to other snow tires i've tried (kumho KW17, Michelin Arctic Alpin) and much better than any all-season tire.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #92
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

tires i've run and the cars i've run them on

1990 4runner V6
bfg allterrain TA KO - pretty good

1995 corolla
nokian hakkapeliita RSI - VERY VERY good

1985 corolla GTS
hankook ipike W409 studded - absolutely amazing traction on ice

2001 GS430 and 1995 SC400
michelin pilot alpin 2 - pretty damn good

1990 corolla GTS
michelin x-ice - gushy, but sticks fairly well

1990 jetta, 1990 volvo 740
michelin arctic alpin - discontinued tire... noisy, but decent traction
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #93
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
running on BF Goodrich Winter Slalom, 195/60/r14. it'll be my 3rd winter on them. cheap snow tires, but do the job well enough to not get me stuck.

couple of quick questions for all the snow tire experts:
- what tire pressure should one be running for snow tires? I assume it's gonna be something slightly higher than normal so the tire balloons up a little and is able to bite into the snow better?

- my tires are studdable. I didn't get them studded at the time of purchase, but I feel that I want to now. can I still get that done even after driving a few seasons on them?
what exactly are the rules surrounding using studded tires in the lower mainland?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #94
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

tires can only be studded when NEW... they cannot be studded after they are used...

justin, you wanna run those snow tires at 32/30psi front and rear... that'll optimize your contact patch and give you maximum traction...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #95
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
what exactly are the rules surrounding using studded tires in the lower mainland?
Don't.

Through the mud and the blood to the green field beyond.
Faugh A'Ballaugh.
1983 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 Z28 View Post
Don't.
Why is that?

Legally, you can run studded tires from Nov 1 to April 1.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #97

On dry pavement, they make no sense; you'll just destroy your tires. And we don't get the weather that requires studded tires. Winter tires are fine, and if you're really worried, carry chains.

On another note; people are getting a little paranoid. Yes, it's cold. And yes, we'll get more snow. But a decent all-season tire and a lot of attentiveness and caution while driving WILL get you around. Winter tires are better, and chains are evevn better still, as with AWD and 4WD etc etc... but it's only -4 outside, and even the "shitloads" of snow we're supposed to get has only been quntified as around 15 cm. That's 6". That's not very much. My Land Rover has an archaic 4WD system, drum brakes with no ABS, no traction control, and almost-dead all-terrain tires on it, and yet I was pulling cars equipped with brand-new all-season tires, traction control, stability control, and ABS brakes out of ditches this week. Don't drive like a douchebag (and I'm not saying any of you are), and you'll be fine. That means leave giant gaps, slow down BEFORE THE CORNER, and check intersections for people trying to stop before you proceed through them. Don't pass people dangerously, don't be agressive, and don't drift around city streets.

It may be illegal, but I say you all should find an empty parking lot and practice driving for hours and hours; it ay come in handy on the road.

And i know some of you will say "no, you should be as safe as possible on the road and that means winter tires, etc etc" but the reality is that not everyone will get them. I won't (although the AWD LS460 Lexus gave me yesterday has them fitted ) get them for the Land Rover, as my tire fund is going to new all-terrains in the spring. And with a little careful driving, I'll get through the winter. Hell, I can get through unploughed, unpaved, muddy trails covered in a few feet of snow; relatively clear roads shouldn't be a hazard.

PS: If I ever see someone from Revscene tailgate my Land Rover while I'm doing 70 kph in the snow, I'll kill you. That's 40 litres of gasoline strapped to my back door, and that WILL be the first thing your front end hits, and that gasoline WILL splash onto your exhaust manifold, and I WILL douse you in flaming gasoline for hurting my truck.

Faugh A'Ballaugh.

Last edited by 1983 Z28; 12-16-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #98

Quote:
PS: If I ever see someone from Revscene tailgate my Land Rover while I'm doing 70 kph in the snow, I'll kill you. That's 40 litres of gasoline strapped to my back door, and that WILL be the first thing your front end hits, and that gasoline WILL splash onto your exhaust manifold, and I WILL douse you in flaming gasoline for hurting my truck.
Woww watch out for the guy in the old suv, if you bang it up he WILL splash you with the gas and the exhaust manifold hahaha

And yes! Everyone should make it out to an empty snowy parking lot at least once, and practice staying in control in the snow, and sliding around. It could save you a lot of money, maybe even your life....plus it's fun lol

If you're worried about getting in trouble with po-po, just go by yourself, and honestly try and practice....don't bring 5 of your most riced out friends and try to play dori-dori drift king in the snow lol

p.s.

The highest rated traction based winter tires can outperform studded tires on ice...not to mention while maintaining higher speed rating, and better dry handling, less noise....bottom line, why bother?

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #99

Do you see any form of rear bumper? No. If someone rear ends me, the first thing they'll hit will be a pair of 20 litre NATO-standard jerry cans filled with 91 octane fuel; and although I don't have much experience with exploding jerry cans, I'm going to guess they'll rupture... and dump fuel all over whatever just smashed into them. And it will suck.

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #100

Quote:
tailgate my Land Rover while I'm doing 70 kph in the snow, I'll kill you. That's 40 litres of gasoline strapped to my back door, and that WILL be the first thing your front end hits, and that gasoline WILL splash onto your exhaust manifold, and I WILL douse you in flaming gasoline for hurting my truck.
So if you rear-end me because my car has abs and snow tires and can stop a lot faster than your drum brake non-abs shitty all season tires, can I douse you in gasoline and set you on fire for hurting my rice rocket?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing