REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #176
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Did you try calling around to see who has stock on snow tires?

There was already a shortage 2 weeks ago when I got my tires for my matrix. I downsized to 195-65-15 Hankook snow tires for my Matrix. No problems at all. I think what people don't understand is that snow tires use a different type of rubber, so the ice/snow doesn't stick to the tires/groove which is why all season's lose traction so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo.Blue View Post
so I'm driving a matrix '06,

my dad (we share the car) recently got these new preformance all season tires. They have absolutely zero traction on snow.

I'm planning on getting 2 snow tires for the forward wheels. Perhaps Michelin X-Ice.

What do you think? Anybody drive a matrix?
Advertisement
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:34 AM   #177
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Anyone using Pilot Alpin PA2s??
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #178
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

For anyone concerned, TireTrends is getting a container full of General Altimax Arctic's in in the first week of January. 100 tires are already sold, so there's something like 300 left.

Through the mud and the blood to the green field beyond.
Faugh A'Ballaugh.
1983 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #179
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Are people with AWD really stupid or do they purposely stop on the middle of a hill just fuck F everyone behind them over?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #180
Banned (ABWS)

If I knew we were actually getting snow in Vancouver, I would have bought some real snow tires instead of winter performance tires

edit: BTW, I bought my winter tires last year from 1010tires.com. Check their website, they still have an assortment of winter tires in different sizes available, and they ship to your door

Last edited by Jermyzy; 12-24-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #181
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemiko View Post
I just got some Nokian WRG2. Anyone else using these, what do you think about them?
How are those tires thus far? I just saw a little clip on the news about them being the best all season tire on snow and ice, and it's good 365 days a year with a 100,000km warranty. The tread design was quite unique looking.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #182
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

contact !SG for sponsorship.

thanks.
fng@regencyauto.com

Last edited by Eff-1; 12-24-2008 at 03:16 PM.
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #183
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Depending on how low the car is, you may be able to strap in some chains or cables, but then you have to worry about getting hung up in deep snow.

on my winter tires(yokahama F310) im already keep getting stuck in deep snow especially going uphill, but on a straight road no problem at all.

so u saying.... even with chains or cables wont help me go uphill in a deep snow?
7words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #184
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
How are those tires thus far? I just saw a little clip on the news about them being the best all season tire on snow and ice, and it's good 365 days a year with a 100,000km warranty. The tread design was quite unique looking.
Since it snowed so much last night, I got to really test the tires out this morning to work. They're really good, of course like all tires you can't expect to not get stuck. I got stuck going up my alley (a hill) because no one driven in it yet and the snow was like 1.5 feet high so I had to plow my own road but after backing up and going forward a couple of times I got out. A couple of guys with AWD suv's and all seasons couldn't even make it up the hill, they had to backup and my car is only front wheel. The tires has good grip to the snow, ice and slush. Even stopping was good, my abs never came on.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvu View Post
I got a set of Michelin X-ice on mine, Damn these babys work wonders. Coming down a pretty big hill, braked, and my car almost didn't even slide.
Should have put them on before you rear ended the guy.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #186
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

i running the best winter tires ever!!! falken ziex 912's.... they are so awesome, amazing traction in the snow will leave your car standing still. awesome ice traction will send your car sliding when you hit the brakes. i highly recommend these to anyone with a death wish!!!

on the real i love these tires in the spring, summer and fall but they suck balls in the snow!!! the worst performing all seasons i have ever used in the snow. my car is parked until the snow clears up a bit, next year i am going to bite the bullet and spend the $800 for steelies and proper snow tires. better to be safe (and broke) than sorry (and dead).

Last edited by skholla; 12-24-2008 at 05:56 PM.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 PM   #187

i got 4 Michelin X-Ice on my FWD winter beater, they worked great until the snow is higher than my beater (stock height)

Then, i put a set of tire chains at the front and drove around the small streets in van, absolutely outperformed the SUVs w/ all seasons. I've seen at least 10 awd SUV today either got stuck or went sideway w/ 4 wheel spinning, those including a few CR-V, X5, X3, and a lexus RX300 before i got home.

Stuff for sale:

92-95 , 96-00 Honda Civic Factory Service Maunal on CD(PDF Format) - $10 each firm

Last edited by CivicSIR; 12-24-2008 at 11:18 PM.
CivicSIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #188
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
snow finally won tonite. the pack snow was so high, it raised the car up so the tires couldnt even get traction...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #189
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
i running the best winter tires ever!!! falken ziex 912's.... they are so awesome, amazing traction in the snow will leave your car standing still. awesome ice traction will send your car sliding when you hit the brakes. i highly recommend these to anyone with a death wish!!!

on the real i love these tires in the spring, summer and fall but they suck balls in the snow!!! the worst performing all seasons i have ever used in the snow. my car is parked until the snow clears up a bit, next year i am going to bite the bullet and spend the $800 for steelies and proper snow tires. better to be safe (and broke) than sorry (and dead).

yup fuck u 912

selling them, and got winter tires
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #190

^ Seems like a lot of people here have 912's just like myself.
Atleast its keeping my from driving i guess; or I just get a ride from my friends and save gas.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #191
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
I got the WR G2's last week as well. Havn't gotten stuck yet, and they grip really well in slush and ice. I have not felt the car slide yet and I have been driving over some really icy side streets. Obviously just like most snow tires, if you enter a really high snow pack, say 1.5 feet, you are probably going to have to shovel a little to get yourself out.

Had to go to my sisters place tonight and I was going through some really heavy patches of snow and it dug right through.

But overall I am really happy with them, and when the snow starts melting and it gets really slushy, these tires are supposed to thrive in the stuff too.

And it is an all weather tire, not all season
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #192
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
I'm on Pirelli P-Zero Nero and they SUCK ASS on snow.

but my AWD is getting me around fine just more hairy "why is it not turning/stopping" moments than before when I was on Triangle Diamondback....

the Triangle tires seem to be more capable on snow than the Pirelli, go figure.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #193
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Using Bridgestone Blizzak Revo1's right now. Got them last year just as last year's snowstorm kicked in. (which pales in comparison to this years).

They've been good to me so far. Haven't got stuck in any back lanes/side streets yet. However, my car is dangerously close to bottoming out on the snow, hence I haven't taken it out in the last 2 days.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #194
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

The Hankook I-Pike W409's are serving me well, almost unstoppable in this weather. The only thing slowing me down around the sidestreets are the high amounts of snow and my lowered ride height.
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #195
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
yup fuck u 912

selling them, and got winter tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peturbo View Post
^ Seems like a lot of people here have 912's just like myself.
Atleast its keeping my from driving i guess; or I just get a ride from my friends and save gas.
no its not "fuck u 912" its "thank you 912". these babies saved me money, only cost me $300 for a set of 4 and now im saving on gas money while my car is parked, im going to stay home on boxing day and save even more money!!!

lol.... but on the real i might ditch the 912s since i will get winter tires next year i might as well buy summer tires in the spring.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #196
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I'm on Pirelli P-Zero Nero and they SUCK ASS on snow.

but my AWD is getting me around fine just more hairy "why is it not turning/stopping" moments than before when I was on Triangle Diamondback....

the Triangle tires seem to be more capable on snow than the Pirelli, go figure.
p zero neros are "all seasons"?

they did jack all for me last winter...i got stuck with less than an inch of snow on the ground
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #197
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post
p zero neros are "all seasons"?
It's dumb because they have an all season version and a performance version, both called the same name. I ordered a set last year because TireTrends was having a sale and they gave me the fronts which were the all seasons while the rears were the high performance version, I said screw it and returned them.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #198
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
If I knew we were actually getting snow in Vancouver, I would have bought some real snow tires instead of winter performance tires
Werd.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #199
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Running Hankook Ice Bears 225/40/18.

Kev
Old 12-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #200
I STILL don't get it

michelin primacy PA3, wanted a good set of nokians but they were to much for the size of wheel I wanted to use.