REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   If im prohibited from driving in bc can I get a Alberta dl? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/557835-if-im-prohibited-driving-bc-can-i-get-alberta-dl.html)

dj bally 12-21-2008 06:06 PM

If im prohibited from driving in bc can I get a Alberta dl?

I am loosing my bc license soon because of a intent to prohibit letter I recieved. Say I move to Alberta can I get a license there? Cuz icbc is only b.c. Right?

Uncle Benz 12-21-2008 06:29 PM

Sorry to break the new to you. The license systems are connected in Canada and US, all the provinces and states provide each other information on suspended licenses. If you tried to obtain a license in Alberta, Washington, etc... they would know your license is BC is suspended and won't issue a license until your prohibition is over.

skidmark 12-21-2008 08:25 PM

Add the fact that you have to declare that you are not prohibited in another jurisdiction when you apply for a license. No point adding another illegal act to the list by telling them that you aren't when you are....

Operation while disqualified

(4) Every offender who operates a motor vehicle, vessel or aircraft or any railway equipment in Canada while disqualified from doing so, other than an offender who is registered in an alcohol ignition interlock device program established under the law of the province in which the offender resides and who complies with the conditions of the program,

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Definition of "disqualification"

(5) For the purposes of this section, "disqualification" means

(a) a prohibition from operating a motor vehicle, vessel or aircraft or any railway equipment ordered pursuant to any of subsections (1), (2) and (3.1) to (3.4); or

(b) a disqualification or any other form of legal restriction of the right or privilege to operate a motor vehicle, vessel or aircraft imposed

(i) in the case of a motor vehicle, under the law of a province, or

(ii) in the case of a vessel or an aircraft, under an Act of Parliament,

in respect of a conviction or discharge under section 730 of any offence referred to in any of subsections (1), (2) and (3.1) to (3.4).

CRS 12-22-2008 03:34 AM

:lol

I bet you thought you were pretty clever when you thought of this.

"Gee! I'm probably the first person to ever think of this and so I'll try to exploit it so i don't have to take on my responsibilities and consequences for my action!"

LeanNsupreme 12-22-2008 10:18 AM

Lol!

bossxx 12-22-2008 10:23 AM

My lawyer said it is possible. You have to apply for your Alberta dl before your prohibition begins. You also need to provide proof of permanent residence in Alberta. And obviously you need to keep your BC dl for proof of license when you are at the alberta licensing center. It is also important to know that if you are known to police, it is not a good idea to drive a lot because you are only legally allowed to drive in BC with alberta plates and license I believe up to 6 months.

cococly 12-22-2008 11:04 AM

To the OP,

Get an International Driver License somewhere else [ i.e..not in the States or Canada] , if you are really desperate...

Personally speaking, I suggest you to just wait until it's over...

Five-Oh 12-22-2008 11:21 AM

Two weeks ago I caught a guy with an Alberta drivers license who did the exact same thing you are thinking about doing. I impounded the car he was driving for 60 days, which was his girlfriends father's car, gave him a few tickets, and now he has a criminal charge outstanding. So not a good idea.

As for the suggestion to get an international driver's license, that is wrong. He is prohibited from driving no matter what he has that says he can drive.

zulutango 12-22-2008 12:23 PM

In addition, an IDL is NOT a DL, it is a translation of an existing valid DL. In some countries the IDL is supplied by the local Automobile Assn. I got one in germany and that's what I did.

BTW, if your lawyer really told you to break the law and to commit a crime, at the very least I would be immediately trying to get one who actually knew what he was doing....or running away from the criminal charges he is liable for. Your guy should be going back to chasing ambulances.

bossxx 12-22-2008 04:31 PM

My lawyer never told me to do this. It was merely a suggestion (if that).

zulutango 12-22-2008 04:36 PM

"My lawyer said it is possible"...you said. Even if he did he is still either misinformed ( and you are paying him for legal advice) or he is telling you to deliberately break the law. Either way I would not stand to close to him because you may experience some collateral damage when the fit hits the shan !

impactX 12-22-2008 05:32 PM

"when the fit hits the shan"

BAHAHAHA I laughed. Good one!

Soundy 12-22-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Five-Oh (Post 6186481)
Two weeks ago I caught a guy with an Alberta drivers license who did the exact same thing you are thinking about doing. I impounded the car he was driving for 60 days, which was his girlfriends father's car, gave him a few tickets, and now he has a criminal charge outstanding. So not a good idea.

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Gu3s5 12-23-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6186595)
In addition, an IDL is NOT a DL, it is a translation of an existing valid DL. In some countries the IDL is supplied by the local Automobile Assn. I got one in germany and that's what I did.

BTW, if your lawyer really told you to break the law and to commit a crime, at the very least I would be immediately trying to get one who actually knew what he was doing....or running away from the criminal charges he is liable for. Your guy should be going back to chasing ambulances.

IDL doesn't help. trust me ive been in your situation and did the IDL. didnt work and cost me 18 more months. choose wisely

skidmark 12-23-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu3s5 (Post 6187825)
IDL doesn't help. trust me ive been in your situation and did the IDL. didnt work and cost me 18 more months. choose wisely

Nothing like the voice of wisdom. Pay attention to this advice.

methodicreign 12-27-2008 12:42 PM

if your getting suspended it's usually a hint and a half. there is a reason your not supposed to drive, it's a punishment for doing something you shouldn't have done enough times that the government decided you can't drive anymore. even trying to think of a way to get around this situation makes me scared. to think that someone of your caliber is still trying to drive legally, and will likely continue to drive illegally when the suspension comes down tells me that you and all people like you need to have thier license's taken away permanently. learn to respect the regualtions we have in place for the safety of everyone who use the roads. maybe we need a differant show on tv, instead of canada's worst driver, how about canada's stupidest drivers.

didn't mean to flame this thread, it's just situation's like this enrage me everytime i see them. I guess ron white said it best. "you can't fix stupid"

smoothie. 12-27-2008 10:59 PM

translink

angus 01-02-2009 03:08 AM

I think the point people here are missing is that a license suspension is not just a suspension.

It is a PROHIBITION from operating a motor vehicle on any public road in B.C.

To get around it you basically need to move to a different continent , take a driving test , get a license and then you can drive , just not in BC.

Yes , you can go to AB , get a new license before you're suspended here , problem is , you are still PROHIBITED in BC, no matter what license you have from wherever!

Man , I have tried it all , none of it works , the only thing that worked for me was hiring a very crafty (read expensive) lawyer who specializes in these matters , he came up with some pretty crazy ideas , and we won , but only barely.

falcon 01-04-2009 10:22 PM

don't get suspended in the first place.

problem solved.

stutterr 01-07-2009 09:13 PM

Well this isn't for Alberta-BC, but its about Ontario-BC

thing is I know someone who had did not pay a ticket just before their G2 license was to expire, the license was suspended for non-payment of a ticket, and on top of that the g2 expired.

Buddy just moved here to BC and went to the drive place. Got a history report from MTO in Toronto, and BC saw that his license was suspended for 3 days for non-payment of fine and then was suspended, and still issued him a class 5 BC license with no exam, written or driven. Since he held a valid g2 Ontario license less than 3 years prior, he is eligible.

I was blown away in shock and awe, but he got it.

I have some advice for you, call ICBC and they will connect you with the head dispatch place in Victoria. Tell them your story and have them tell you. Police are normally super biased and will deter anyone from doing anything wrong. My buddy was calling ICBC to inquire how to pay off the fine, so he could get licensed here. They told him that even though he had a fine outstanding in Ontario, he was still eligible to get his license here, as long as he got the history report. They did recommend to not drive in Ontario with the BC license, and to look into sometime paying the Ontario fines off.

skidmark 01-08-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutterr (Post 6211984)
Police are normally super biased and will deter anyone from doing anything wrong.

Silly me, I always thought that this was what the police were supposed to do!

stutterr 01-08-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6212878)
Silly me, I always thought that this was what the police were supposed to do!

Hey Skidmark,

nah hahaha really? I thought you were here to enslave and punish?

I would rather ask the ministry rather than an officer. I guarantee you that my buddy would have been told that he would be slapped in cuffs and locked up with bubba if he was caught driving with his class 5, and being suspended in Ontario. I like to get both sides of the story, the police and the connected ministry. Cops are here to enforce the law, and uphold it, not control humans like puppets.

impactX 01-08-2009 08:48 PM

In BC, they don't suspend your license when you have outstanding fees; that's why your buddy could still get the Class 5.

Can you not see the difference?

elkayem 01-09-2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6186989)
"My lawyer said it is possible"...you said. Even if he did he is still either misinformed ( and you are paying him for legal advice) or he is telling you to deliberately break the law. Either way I would not stand to close to him because you may experience some collateral damage when the fit hits the shan !

Probably to get him to commit another crime so he gets the pay for representing him again.

boybugaw 02-02-2018 01:05 AM

im living in ontario right now and my license is suspended but not because of any traffic violation. because of my child support. and this month im moving to alberta, i want to know my chances having a drivers license there. my license was suspended for a while and it was only G2 license when it got suspended and its already expired so meaning even if i fix my child support problem i will still go back to square one.