REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Looking to purchase Evo X MR

I've been on evolution M's forums and it seems that there were a shit ton of problems with the new Evo GSR. Can anyone clarify if there are issues with the MR ?
Advertisement
Tetsugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

I havent heard of a shit load of problems on the new evo GSR...if anything the MR would share the same problems since its only different by transmission and wheels. The MR is way to much for what it is. You are honestly better off buying a new 09 STI, way better interior, lots of torque, awesome hatch design, 6spd manual, so many performance features and overall a mature 300hp rocket.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I have the 09 STi, i'm actually getting an amazing deal on the MR if I decide to go that route.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsugen View Post
I have the 09 STi, i'm actually getting an amazing deal on the MR if I decide to go that route.
how amazing the deal is? mind to share?

I am also looking at the EVO X , maybe just the GSR for the maunal transmission
kobefans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsugen View Post
What's wrong with your Sti? Do you still like it. They always compared the two to be the same.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Probably not fast enough? Twinscroll GT35R. Period.
k20a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
What's wrong with your Sti? Do you still like it. They always compared the two to be the same.
Top Gear tested the Evo X and the hatchback STi, said they liked the Evo better because its so god damn easy to drive.

I personally like the looks of the Evo.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
is there still a long waitlist for evo x?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I'm moving down to LA and I don't feel like shifting as much as I used to It's either this or the R32 golf, Possibly even the Scirocco if it ever comes stateside.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
i heard the evo's had some tranny issues on the manual, but not the paddle shift one.

go check out richmond mitsu, i think they still have a few.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
u mean GSR or MR's left?

I am really considering GSR for the price. But also, the STI is also growing on me, and seems like is more parts to mod the STI than the evo?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #12
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
Top Gear tested the Evo X and the hatchback STi, said they liked the Evo better because its so god damn easy to drive.

I personally like the looks of the Evo.
the evo tested in that episode was a MR360 version, its definetly not a comparable test at all when the car is more powerfull. The version of that car is only sold in europe and its also hard to get your hands on. If they want to do a fair matchup put the base sti up against the base evo. Sti will walk it in and out.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govenator View Post
the evo tested in that episode was a MR360 version, its definetly not a comparable test at all when the car is more powerfull. The version of that car is only sold in europe and its also hard to get your hands on. If they want to do a fair matchup put the base sti up against the base evo. Sti will walk it in and out.

FQ360 not MR360. FQ= Fking quick, Its not hard to get your hands on one in europe you go to the local dealer and order one. The FQ360's hp is bumped up with basic bolt ons mostly from HKS.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:13 AM   #14
I STILL don't get it

I read that they were a limited edition and only so many are made? I know its FQ, but I didnt want someone saying that I wasnt refering to the evo.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 AM   #15
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Join the club :-P As for problems...haven't had any unless you consider getting stuck in the snow a problem. Yeah, the middle of my sidestreets had too much snow and basically lifted the middle of my car, hence, no traction. I got it out with a lotta shovelling though. LOL. It's kind of neat watching the AWD do its thing and transfer power to the wheels with grip though.

verkion
verkion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

Very happy with my MR, no issue besides not being able to drive it in the snow because i don't have winter tires. Gotta love the SST tranny.
VSBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Donno about the MR but I love my R32, the driver seat is a great place to be and the interior is quite nice. That and I prefer hatchbacks.
ashtaron14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
RS controls my life!

I've heard that the Sti is a little too soft compared to the previous generations. I'd still prefer it because of the unique hatchback styling and the boxer rumble though.

P.S. ashtaron, when did you let go of the vitz?
ToyotaPowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^ When I migrated back to HK back in the summer. The car was sold to my buddy so you should still see it roaming around, scaring children
ashtaron14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Have you test driven the Evo yet? Don't just jump on it just because its an Evo, drive it and you will understand why people say its a sharp car. Since you are already on EvoM, whats the purpose of asking this question here when there are only handful of Evo X MR owners here? And what are the shit loads of problem you speak of? If there are shit loads of problem with the GSR, you should expect it on the MR as well, aside from the tranny of course.

Last edited by Jackygor; 12-30-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #21
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Also curious what qualifies as an amazing deal, 6 months ago they were not moving a millimetre on a GSR when I went in.

I do know they offer 0 for 3 years now, but movement on the msrp would be better.
(I did get 0 for 4years on my wifes 08 Outlander xls/navi)
Old 12-31-2008, 02:45 AM   #22
Resident Bullshitter

the DSG box on the EVO sucks... it can't handle more then 350HP.
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #23

It's interesting that so many people keep repeating that statistic...but nobody's got any hard proof of that yet. Oh, and one of the vendors on EvoM is developing upgraded SST parts to handle big power. I love my MR...the interior is certainly a nice step up but I'll be honest and say it's no Audi or Lexus or BMW. That said, its not bad at all...I think its a great balance between creature comfort and performance.

One of the things that you should probably consider is the type of driving you do and whether you are planning on doing any modding. I do plan on doing some light mods, turbo back exhaust, new FMIC and the accompanying pipes, (hot and cold side), and tune. That's about it. And I drive in the city primarily, so yeah, full auto mode is great. I love being able to simple tap the paddles to up or downshift anytime I want and then quickly switch back to full auto.

There are quite a few people that have Evo's in town, and a couple of them are MRs, actually, more than couple, and some of them post on this forum so hopefully they'll chime in too!

verkion
Old 01-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
The first batch of X's had tranny issues, I troll EvoM(don't drive an Evo but a FI'd ralliart) and some other local Mitsubishi forums around and after the first batch of Evo's that rolled out, things seemed to have been fixed and turned around. Verkion is right there hasn't been much on the limitation of the DSG and how much it can handle, but on the other hand there is also not much to support how much it can handle either. All you have to know is that the X will have shops/manufacturers modding it to handle the power, that is a given with companies like AMS and Buschur down in the States.
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #25

BTW, for anyone that is interested, xtremeboost over on EvoM is working on an MR with an FP Red in it good for oh...about 450WHP and 400-450ft-lbs torque. Its not running at those numbers yet but soon, hopefully VERY soon. :-P

There are a couple tuned MR's in town as well if I'm not mistaken. I think AJ's has an MR with T1R exhaust and piping? I can't remember if its Ecutek'd yet...maybe Jackygor knows. Where are you Jackygor? Say something?

verkion