REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Relationship & Gender Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/relationship-gender-discussion_17/)
-   -   Does love exist within atheism? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/558513-does-love-exist-within-atheism.html)

ZhangFei 12-28-2008 03:06 PM

Does love exist within atheism?

Do any atheists here believe in love? Is it the same thing as taking a leap of faith and believing in a God?

One thing I don't understand is that how can atheists believe in the existence of love and yet don't believe in God? This is not to say or claim that God is the source of all love, but don't you have to take a leap of faith to believe in LOVE?

One atheistic argument against the existence of God is that there no God because look at all the evil in the world. If God really loves us, then why is there so much evil going on?

And then to go with that similar line of inquiry, if there is really love in the world, why are there so many broken hearts and broken or dull relationships in this world?

I just think its funny how atheists ask for proof of a God when they don't ask for proof of the existence of love....

underscore 12-28-2008 03:17 PM

well for starters those are completely different things. love is something you can feel and experience. god.... well some people claim to feel and experience his presence, personally I never have.

miss_crayon 12-28-2008 03:29 PM

love is an emotion and something you can see.
for example, a mother caring and loving her child unconditionally without any questions asked.

BoneThug 12-28-2008 03:38 PM

im catholic but dont believe in love

abinga 12-28-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 6195266)
for example, a mother caring and loving her child unconditionally without any questions asked.

Agreed x100

Your beliefs for your god or no god do not dictate emotion.

chr1s 12-28-2008 04:26 PM

very eloquent question. but /thread on sharkbite

optiblue 12-28-2008 04:54 PM

Love in the simplist of terms is a bond formed for another person and your offsprings. It's pretty much biological as I'm pretty sure animals in the wild aren't religous. Believing in god is something learned. You can fall in love w/o knowing god, but you can't believe in god w/o having been shown which one to believe in. If you're Christian... how does one even know Jesus w/o being told who he is and what he's done unless you were taught.

ZhangFei 12-28-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

i'm not saying love does not exist

i'm just stating that there are atheists that would put all their emotional investment in love when there's no real tangible evidence for it in the first place. all we have are just stories passed down from generation to generation, music, drama and people faking a perfect relationship for the media and press etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by optiblue (Post 6195368)
Love in the simplist of terms is a bond formed for another person and your offsprings. It's pretty much biological as I'm pretty sure animals in the wild aren't religous. Believing in god is something learned. You can fall in love w/o knowing god, but you can't believe in god w/o having been shown which one to believe in. If you're Christian... how does one even know Jesus w/o being told who he is and what he's done unless you were taught.

Funny thing you talked about that. In school we are taught about love. its institutionalized. Remember all the fairy tales being read to you about a knight in shining armor and a princess that fell in love? and then "they lived happily ever after". its also in the music we listen to. love songs sell the most records lol.

but you know what? there's also love songs to god and jesus too.

underscore 12-28-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZhangFei (Post 6195382)
i'm not saying love does not exist

i'm just stating that there are atheists that would put all their emotional investment in love when there's no real tangible evidence for it in the first place. all we have are just stories passed down from generation to generation, music, drama and people faking a perfect relationship for the media and press etc.

wrong. love is a basic human emotion. those people living in uncontacted Amazonian tribes feel love. they can't put any faith in a religion without someone telling them about it. everyone is capable of feeling the evidence for love from birth. religion on the other hand, must be taught, and imo it's total crap. love is real, religion is not, to me religion is just a bunch of outdated junk used to explain things that previously scared people (what happens after death, etc) and to control people (you'll go to hell if you don't do this), etc

ZhangFei 12-28-2008 06:51 PM

K, you're just blatantly attacked organized religion... a bit off-topic there.

i'm just talking about beliefs, not organization here but those guys believe in their religion because they take a leap of faith that their religion is real. also I might have to add that its possible people can believe in a supreme being without being taught of one. its just like people can believe in extra terrestrial life without being taught of them.

its the same thing as love isn't it? people take a leap of faith that love is real and they act upon it. there's no hardcore facts or logic that love is real. we believe it to be. and this is why i don't understand how can atheists believe that love exists but don't believe in God.

what is the empirical evidence of love then? a rush of feeling, a crush? horniness? flucuating emotions? attachment? that isn't love, its just the honey-moon phase or puppy love.

okay and what if someone feels that God loves them then and has all these woozy feelings inside that their brain keeps producing? would you consider that love?

abinga 12-28-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZhangFei (Post 6195525)

its the same thing as love isn't it? people take a leap of faith that love is real and they act upon it. there's no hardcore facts or logic that love is real. we believe it to be. and this is why i don't understand how can atheists believe that love exists but don't believe in God.

You just answered your own question. Its been passed down by generation to generation that there is a god in every culture but there are no hardcore or scientific facts that any god is real. That is no different than what you say about love.

underscore 12-28-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

K, you're just blatantly attacked organized religion... a bit off-topic there.

not exactly off-topic, religion explains things that couldn't be explained before, almost all of it I believe to be assumptions, people didn't know what made the sky blue and the grass green so they assumed some supreme being must've done it. And when there was no other explanation, that made sense, anyone could come to that assumption, and clearly they did because there are a lot of religions that believe in supreme beings. love isn't just an assumption, it's a human feeling.

Quote:

what is the empirical evidence of love then? a rush of feeling, a crush? horniness? flucuating emotions? attachment? that isn't love, its just the honey-moon phase or puppy love.

like I said, it's a primal emotion. taking a bullet for someone, lying to protect someone, etc, those are acts of love. for example why would you lie to the police and risk getting yourself arrested for someone else unless you love are care about them? my grandparents who have been married 55 years, that's proof of love. real love is lasting, not the brief emotions you listed there. it's much deeper and more meaningful than that.

ZhangFei 12-28-2008 08:12 PM

well that's all fine and dandy and all...but let's get this straight: love develops when you take a leap of faith. you leap into a place of uncertainty. that's just like taking a leap of faith in above.

how are they any different?

underscore 12-28-2008 08:15 PM

you dont leap into a place of uncertainty, you feel it. do you not love your parents/relatives/siblings? you should know what love is

ZhangFei 12-28-2008 08:31 PM

^ well I am not feeling any coming from you.

BoneThug 12-28-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optiblue (Post 6195368)

i dont think people love without learning to love. link to proof?

Wykydtron 12-28-2008 09:16 PM

Why must you take a leap of faith to love? That confuses me. Love and God have no relation IMO. Love is an emotion, a feeling. Someone can experience this without knowing what 'love' is. That is just our word that we have labelled to it. We are 'taught' love because we are taught what most words mean in order to well...know what it means. Just because you don't know the meaning of a word, doesn't mean you can't experience what that word describes.

underscore 12-28-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZhangFei (Post 6195680)
^ well I am not feeling any coming from you.

well you're starting to sound like a robot who's trying to comprehend human emotion here man, surely you've felt love before?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneThug (Post 6195725)
i dont think people love without learning to love. link to proof?

look at an animal protecting it's young. is that not a display of love in some form? they don't get love explained to them by someone.

on 12-28-2008 10:24 PM

lol x10239

Sid Vicious 12-28-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZhangFei (Post 6195239)
Do any atheists here believe in love? Is it the same thing as taking a leap of faith and believing in a God?

One thing I don't understand is that how can atheists believe in the existence of love and yet don't believe in God? This is not to say or claim that God is the source of all love, but don't you have to take a leap of faith to believe in LOVE?

One atheistic argument against the existence of God is that there no God because look at all the evil in the world. If God really loves us, then why is there so much evil going on?

And then to go with that similar line of inquiry, if there is really love in the world, why are there so many broken hearts and broken or dull relationships in this world?

I just think its funny how atheists ask for proof of a God when they don't ask for proof of the existence of love....

http://www.toonjokes.com/data/media/9/30.jpg

Love is the emotions felt by two people.

Belief in god involves believing that a senior citizen built an ark that housed all the species on earth who lived within walking distance of noah.

Kagemusha 12-28-2008 10:37 PM

Silly Christian, Myths are for kids!

ZhangFei 12-28-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6195899)
well you're starting to sound like a robot who's trying to comprehend human emotion here man, surely you've felt love before?

I think I had before.... but it turned out really ugly so I don't think it was genuine feelings. It was mere illusions of the mind and the roller coaster of emotions.

underscore 12-28-2008 10:56 PM

^ now you sound like the guy off Big Bang Theory. what about your parents/relatives?

Meowjin 12-29-2008 12:18 AM

prove time and ill prove god

Culture_Vulture 12-29-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HB20 (Post 6195938)
http://www.toonjokes.com/data/media/9/30.jpg

Love is the emotions felt by two people.

Belief in god involves believing that a senior citizen built an ark that housed all the species on earth who lived within walking distance of noah.

and who's to say one can't "love" God the same way he loves a friend or a neighbor?
after all, "God" is a title, not an individual.