REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
ZhangFei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Middle Kingdom
Posts: 1,915
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
Does love exist within atheism?

Do any atheists here believe in love? Is it the same thing as taking a leap of faith and believing in a God?

One thing I don't understand is that how can atheists believe in the existence of love and yet don't believe in God? This is not to say or claim that God is the source of all love, but don't you have to take a leap of faith to believe in LOVE?

One atheistic argument against the existence of God is that there no God because look at all the evil in the world. If God really loves us, then why is there so much evil going on?

And then to go with that similar line of inquiry, if there is really love in the world, why are there so many broken hearts and broken or dull relationships in this world?

I just think its funny how atheists ask for proof of a God when they don't ask for proof of the existence of love....

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_clad View Post
why you hating on the boss, anyways?
ZhangFei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,972
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,167 Posts
well for starters those are completely different things. love is something you can feel and experience. god.... well some people claim to feel and experience his presence, personally I never have.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Director of RS Cares
 
miss_crayon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Crayon Box
Posts: 5,173
Thanked 600 Times in 281 Posts
love is an emotion and something you can see.
for example, a mother caring and loving her child unconditionally without any questions asked.
__________________
tiptronic: getting cut off by bicycles since 2007
yam-sies

Last edited by miss_crayon; 12-28-2008 at 04:32 PM.
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS
 
BoneThug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Van City
Posts: 2,229
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
im catholic but dont believe in love
__________________
FS: 4 Michelin All season tires with 90% tread on one and 70% on the others, in great condition, good for any SUV. 235-65-R17
BoneThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
V8 Mod
 
SharkBite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 9,154
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
love is an emotion and something you can see.
for example, a mother caring and loving her child unconditionally without any questions asked.
Agreed x100

Your beliefs for your god or no god do not dictate emotion.
SharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
chr1s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,094
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
very eloquent question. but /thread on sharkbite
chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
optiblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,191
Thanked 274 Times in 135 Posts
Love in the simplist of terms is a bond formed for another person and your offsprings. It's pretty much biological as I'm pretty sure animals in the wild aren't religous. Believing in god is something learned. You can fall in love w/o knowing god, but you can't believe in god w/o having been shown which one to believe in. If you're Christian... how does one even know Jesus w/o being told who he is and what he's done unless you were taught.
__________________
Badminton Forums
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
ZhangFei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Middle Kingdom
Posts: 1,915
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
love is an emotion and something you can see.
for example, a mother caring and loving her child unconditionally without any questions asked.
i'm not saying love does not exist

i'm just stating that there are atheists that would put all their emotional investment in love when there's no real tangible evidence for it in the first place. all we have are just stories passed down from generation to generation, music, drama and people faking a perfect relationship for the media and press etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
Love in the simplist of terms is a bond formed for another person and your offsprings. It's pretty much biological as I'm pretty sure animals in the wild aren't religous. Believing in god is something learned. You can fall in love w/o knowing god, but you can't believe in god w/o having been shown which one to believe in. If you're Christian... how does one even know Jesus w/o being told who he is and what he's done unless you were taught.
Funny thing you talked about that. In school we are taught about love. its institutionalized. Remember all the fairy tales being read to you about a knight in shining armor and a princess that fell in love? and then "they lived happily ever after". its also in the music we listen to. love songs sell the most records lol.

but you know what? there's also love songs to god and jesus too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_clad View Post
why you hating on the boss, anyways?
ZhangFei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,972
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhangFei View Post
i'm not saying love does not exist

i'm just stating that there are atheists that would put all their emotional investment in love when there's no real tangible evidence for it in the first place. all we have are just stories passed down from generation to generation, music, drama and people faking a perfect relationship for the media and press etc.
wrong. love is a basic human emotion. those people living in uncontacted Amazonian tribes feel love. they can't put any faith in a religion without someone telling them about it. everyone is capable of feeling the evidence for love from birth. religion on the other hand, must be taught, and imo it's total crap. love is real, religion is not, to me religion is just a bunch of outdated junk used to explain things that previously scared people (what happens after death, etc) and to control people (you'll go to hell if you don't do this), etc
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
ZhangFei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Middle Kingdom
Posts: 1,915
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
K, you're just blatantly attacked organized religion... a bit off-topic there.

i'm just talking about beliefs, not organization here but those guys believe in their religion because they take a leap of faith that their religion is real. also I might have to add that its possible people can believe in a supreme being without being taught of one. its just like people can believe in extra terrestrial life without being taught of them.

its the same thing as love isn't it? people take a leap of faith that love is real and they act upon it. there's no hardcore facts or logic that love is real. we believe it to be. and this is why i don't understand how can atheists believe that love exists but don't believe in God.

what is the empirical evidence of love then? a rush of feeling, a crush? horniness? flucuating emotions? attachment? that isn't love, its just the honey-moon phase or puppy love.

okay and what if someone feels that God loves them then and has all these woozy feelings inside that their brain keeps producing? would you consider that love?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_clad View Post
why you hating on the boss, anyways?
ZhangFei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
V8 Mod
 
SharkBite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 9,154
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhangFei View Post

its the same thing as love isn't it? people take a leap of faith that love is real and they act upon it. there's no hardcore facts or logic that love is real. we believe it to be. and this is why i don't understand how can atheists believe that love exists but don't believe in God.
You just answered your own question. Its been passed down by generation to generation that there is a god in every culture but there are no hardcore or scientific facts that any god is real. That is no different than what you say about love.
SharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,972
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhangFei View Post
K, you're just blatantly attacked organized religion... a bit off-topic there.
not exactly off-topic, religion explains things that couldn't be explained before, almost all of it I believe to be assumptions, people didn't know what made the sky blue and the grass green so they assumed some supreme being must've done it. And when there was no other explanation, that made sense, anyone could come to that assumption, and clearly they did because there are a lot of religions that believe in supreme beings. love isn't just an assumption, it's a human feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhangFei View Post
what is the empirical evidence of love then? a rush of feeling, a crush? horniness? flucuating emotions? attachment? that isn't love, its just the honey-moon phase or puppy love.
like I said, it's a primal emotion. taking a bullet for someone, lying to protect someone, etc, those are acts of love. for example why would you lie to the police and risk getting yourself arrested for someone else unless you love are care about them? my grandparents who have been married 55 years, that's proof of love. real love is lasting, not the brief emotions you listed there. it's much deeper and more meaningful than that.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
ZhangFei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Middle Kingdom
Posts: 1,915
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
well that's all fine and dandy and all...but let's get this straight: love develops when you take a leap of faith. you leap into a place of uncertainty. that's just like taking a leap of faith in above.

how are they any different?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_clad View Post
why you hating on the boss, anyways?
ZhangFei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,972
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,167 Posts
you dont leap into a place of uncertainty, you feel it. do you not love your parents/relatives/siblings? you should know what love is
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #15
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
ZhangFei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Middle Kingdom
Posts: 1,915
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
^ well I am not feeling any coming from you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_clad View Post
why you hating on the boss, anyways?
ZhangFei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS
 
BoneThug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Van City
Posts: 2,229
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
Love in the simplist of terms is a bond formed for another person and your offsprings. It's pretty much biological as I'm pretty sure animals in the wild aren't religous. Believing in god is something learned. You can fall in love w/o knowing god, but you can't believe in god w/o having been shown which one to believe in. If you're Christian... how does one even know Jesus w/o being told who he is and what he's done unless you were taught.
i dont think people love without learning to love. link to proof?
__________________
FS: 4 Michelin All season tires with 90% tread on one and 70% on the others, in great condition, good for any SUV. 235-65-R17
BoneThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
RS controls my life!
 
Wykydtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lower Mainland
Posts: 782
Thanked 90 Times in 38 Posts
Why must you take a leap of faith to love? That confuses me. Love and God have no relation IMO. Love is an emotion, a feeling. Someone can experience this without knowing what 'love' is. That is just our word that we have labelled to it. We are 'taught' love because we are taught what most words mean in order to well...know what it means. Just because you don't know the meaning of a word, doesn't mean you can't experience what that word describes.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,972
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhangFei View Post
^ well I am not feeling any coming from you.
well you're starting to sound like a robot who's trying to comprehend human emotion here man, surely you've felt love before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThug View Post
i dont think people love without learning to love. link to proof?
look at an animal protecting it's young. is that not a display of love in some form? they don't get love explained to them by someone.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #19
on
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: vancouver
Posts: 77
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol x10239
on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,679
Thanked 1,924 Times in 611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhangFei View Post
Do any atheists here believe in love? Is it the same thing as taking a leap of faith and believing in a God?

One thing I don't understand is that how can atheists believe in the existence of love and yet don't believe in God? This is not to say or claim that God is the source of all love, but don't you have to take a leap of faith to believe in LOVE?

One atheistic argument against the existence of God is that there no God because look at all the evil in the world. If God really loves us, then why is there so much evil going on?

And then to go with that similar line of inquiry, if there is really love in the world, why are there so many broken hearts and broken or dull relationships in this world?

I just think its funny how atheists ask for proof of a God when they don't ask for proof of the existence of love....


Love is the emotions felt by two people.

Belief in god involves believing that a senior citizen built an ark that housed all the species on earth who lived within walking distance of noah.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #21
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
Kagemusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,046
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Silly Christian, Myths are for kids!
__________________
If Martians invade us, will Bush attack Venus?

Inter arma enim silent leges
Kagemusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #22
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)
 
ZhangFei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Middle Kingdom
Posts: 1,915
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
well you're starting to sound like a robot who's trying to comprehend human emotion here man, surely you've felt love before?
I think I had before.... but it turned out really ugly so I don't think it was genuine feelings. It was mere illusions of the mind and the roller coaster of emotions.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_clad View Post
why you hating on the boss, anyways?
ZhangFei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,972
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,167 Posts
^ now you sound like the guy off Big Bang Theory. what about your parents/relatives?
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #24
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 12,489
Thanked 2,090 Times in 773 Posts
prove time and ill prove god
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:12 AM   #25
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?
 
Culture_Vulture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 11,038
Thanked 2,569 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
love is an emotion and something you can see.
for example, a mother caring and loving her child unconditionally without any questions asked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB20 View Post


Love is the emotions felt by two people.

Belief in god involves believing that a senior citizen built an ark that housed all the species on earth who lived within walking distance of noah.
and who's to say one can't "love" God the same way he loves a friend or a neighbor?
after all, "God" is a title, not an individual.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net