REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
cheapest douchebags around

i bet you all drive pretty nice cars, but aren't willing to buy a $100 textbook - regardless if they're a rip off, buy them 2nd hand for $60...

i've always liked to actually own textbooks, and sell them on if i don't want to keep them... i guess thats what comes from not being an absolute cheap bastard
I kinda agree with you. Although I pick and choose my books to make sure they are worth actually buying, there is copies in the library to loan out if you need to read a quick bit.

But seriously photocopying an entire book? That means your time is worth no money. A few hundred on textbooks for a year is fine. What you have to deal with is if that text isn't worth $100 then is the class you are taking worth doing? Come on.
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Uh, yeah, sorry not everyone can afford to blow $600 on books on top of tuition.

And sorry again for the SFU bookstore selling my English book for $51 when the book reads "$7.99 CDN" on the back.
so you decide to steal instead
i guess the thought is 'no one gets hurt'
nice to know people are brought up well in this day and age.

yes, bookstores do pretty much rip us off, but there are MANY legal alternatives these days as have been provided.

if you can't afford post secondary education fully legally now, i guess it'll be ok to maybe not pay taxes in the future years... if you can get away with it - pretty good logic, no?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

To be honest I find that if you buy used you can resell at the same price ending up not actually spending any money.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #29
ah_some

^ that only happens IF the profs decide to use the same textbook next semester!

CoLoRs member #19 [The Enforcer, you maggots!]
RSB #6

ah_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:

yes, bookstores do pretty much rip us off, but there are MANY legal alternatives these days as have been provided.

if you can't afford post secondary education fully legally now, i guess it'll be ok to maybe not pay taxes in the future years... if you can get away with it - pretty good logic, no?
Yes stealing is bad. I agree with you on that part. Post sec education in BC is already damn cheap compared with other places if you're a BC resident. I look at the student fees that international students pay at UBC and I'm utterly amazed. And even THEY need to shell out money for textbooks.

But tell me why is there a NEED for stealing textbooks to happen in the first place? If there's no NEED, then it's not going to happen. The perceived monetary value of these textbooks do not correspond with the usage gained out of them.

Time and again I've spent hundreds of dollars on "required texts", only to have used them a handful of times in the class. Of course, one could argue that I could keep them and read them, but then again, what if it's only an elective, what if it's horribly written or what if the material is out of date?
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,405 Times in 859 Posts
Quote:

When did I say I steal books?

I bought all my texts from the bookstore (including the English book) or used.

I was citing the ridiculous price premium that SFU/bookstore charges for these texts.