REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Lasik MD vs. Others (https://www.revscene.net/forums/559622-lasik-md-vs-others.html)

willystyle 01-07-2009 12:00 PM

Lasik MD vs. Others

Why does Lasik MD only cost $490/eye ($1000 for both) vs. other Laser Eye clinics that cost $2600-$3000 (Coal Harbour, London Eye, for example).

Why is there such a huge cost differential? Lasik MD and Coal Harbour uses the same standard of Laser Eye Surgery equipments, but Coal Harbour cost nearly $2000 more.

What are some of your experiences? Which one have you dealt with? Should I choose a clinic based on price?

For those who have experience with Lasik MD, how are their Vision Plans for post-operative care? What are they? and How much do they cost?

Does anyone know which Laser Eye Surgery VPD and RCMP requires? PRK or LASIK?

Cheers!

m3thods 01-07-2009 12:28 PM

All I can say is I have a friend as a pre/post-op patient consultant for a LEC, and from what I hear is they get more than a few "cheap" LEC patients who have flaps coming undone and what not. She says they also charge a "non-patient return" (around 600) charge to people on top of having your vision fucked temporarily.

It's your vision that you want to improve. I'd suggest heading over to one of the more expensive places and do it right. Pacific Eye Center has two world-renowned surgeons, and are expensive (about 2500 an eye) but I hear only good things about them. My mom was going to do a trial there which didn't fall through, but she said that the place is highly professional, and the doctors are top notch. It's free consultations, so I'd definitely check them out. :thumbsup:

RunningFree 01-07-2009 04:32 PM

My friend's an optometrist and she's seen good and bad results from both expensive and cheaper places. No horror stories though.

There's this place that recently opened: http://www.kinglasik.ca/

They're offering 490 an eye as an introductory offer. I'm thinking of checking them out.

ah_cat 01-07-2009 04:47 PM

I went to London Place Eye Center in New West.
It's $3000 for both eyes, but I got a corporate deal, so I paid $2500 for both.

Free consultation, very informative staff, no negative things to say about them at all.

Check-ups after the surgery are free, and so are the drops. You also get a $70 voucher for a pair of sunglasses from their store.
I had no complications whatsoever, and I'm so happy that I did it. No regrets!!!

Denny 01-07-2009 06:53 PM

I'm getting my eyes done at London Eye Centre in New West. They do the no-touch laser eye surgury where they don't cut out your cornea with a motorized scalpel. The laser also tracks your eye and repositions for better accuracy. It cost $3000 for everything including checkups, warranty, eye drops, etc. You can go for a free consultation and they'll check your eye to see if you're okay for it.

Already booked for next week and can't wait to see the results.

I heard that those $500-700/eye lasik places don't include checkups and you have to pay extra if certain complications happen such as astigmatism.

m3thods 01-07-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 6210970)
Does anyone know which Laser Eye Surgery VPD and RCMP requires? PRK or LASIK?

Cheers!

I forgot to answer this. According to my friend, it depends on your eyes which type of surgery you get. Both are valid operations- but the best for you is the one that they suggest after your free consultation.

RunningFree 01-07-2009 10:48 PM

I called today to ask a couple questions.

One of the reasons is that some places charge a flat rate, so even you'll pay the same price whether your eyes aren't that bad, or are really bad.

Lasik MD does include after care just like the other places.

Denny 01-08-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 6212062)
I forgot to answer this. According to my friend, it depends on your eyes which type of surgery you get. Both are valid operations- but the best for you is the one that they suggest after your free consultation.

Forgot to answer that as well. My friend going into to VPD got hers done at London Eye Centre (all laser no cutting/scraping).

The way I see it is this: If you're deciding to spend $2000+, why would you still consider LASIK or PRK? Some places that charge you $2000+/eye and they still use LASIK or PRK. Why not spend less for better performing and safer no touch PRK (no cutting/scraping) with Wavefront Guided software (tracks your eye movement for better precision)? Plus there are a lot of anti-LASIK websites out there.

penski604 01-08-2009 09:06 PM

i just got mine done at LEC on Monday. I have no complaints they have been very supportive. I'm still healing but i can't wait for the end results. As far as what police forces requires, i think as long as you have near or better than 20/20, good color vision, no night vision issues, you should be fine.

Klobbersaurus 01-08-2009 09:09 PM

you have 1 pair of eyes and if those are screwed up, your fucked, why cheap out on it

willystyle 01-09-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penski604 (Post 6213703)
i just got mine done at LEC on Monday. I have no complaints they have been very supportive. I'm still healing but i can't wait for the end results. As far as what police forces requires, i think as long as you have near or better than 20/20, good color vision, no night vision issues, you should be fine.

I thought you had to be at or better than 20/20? you can be near too?

Denny 01-18-2009 05:04 PM

I got my eyes done at LEC on Wed. The first three days were pretty suffering but when it healed and they took off the hard contacts, everything is fine and I can see a lot better. I didn't need to use the pain drops or sleeping pills they gave me. Today is my 6th day and I'm starting to be able to read small text.

rslater 01-18-2009 07:39 PM

I had my consultation at coal harbour last week. I have an aunt that works their, thus its not as expensive as the regular $4000. However, I felt amazingly comfortable there and its a free consultation. Very informative and the doctor that does the surgeries is very critical of doing the surgeries on everyone. I for example have a lazy left eye and he suggested I should not go through with the procedure because of the risks. I felt it was really honorable that he denied me getting it done.

Denny 01-18-2009 11:01 PM

Hmm it doesn't say $4000 on their website.

http://www.seewell.ca/fee_schedule.html

After you add in the Wavefront Technology, it's about the same price as LEC. And for that I think it is better to go for the "no-touch" PRK at LEC instead of the regular PRK at Coal Harbour.

Marco911 01-19-2009 12:10 AM

If you do Lasik, check if the place uses the Interlase to cut the flap. Interlase is another laser vs. using a microkeratase, which is less accurate. There's only one place in Vancouver that has the Interlase machine as far as I'm aware. I got mine done at HK Sanatorium Hospital, which has the most advanced equipment, and the surgeon I went to is supposedly one of the best in the world. He consults for the machine manufacturers and uses a setting that is so thin, it isn't recommended by the manufacturers.

bui95 02-05-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_cat (Post 6211498)

Free consultation, very informative staff, no negative things to say about them at all.

Check-ups after the surgery are free, and so are the drops. You also get a $70 voucher for a pair of sunglasses from their store.
I had no complications whatsoever, and I'm so happy that I did it. No regrets!!!

+1

if you plan on going with london, you can drop my name and you can get the same $2500 cost instead of $3000. - Quoc Bui

racerman88 02-08-2009 08:16 PM

cost me $2500 for both eyes and never had a problem. I had to go back for several visits after to monitor my eyes b/c I have always had dry eyes.

willystyle 02-09-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rslater (Post 6231734)
I had my consultation at coal harbour last week. I have an aunt that works their, thus its not as expensive as the regular $4000. However, I felt amazingly comfortable there and its a free consultation. Very informative and the doctor that does the surgeries is very critical of doing the surgeries on everyone. I for example have a lazy left eye and he suggested I should not go through with the procedure because of the risks. I felt it was really honorable that he denied me getting it done.

Really? I have lazy eyes too, but a eye surgeon at LEC still gave me the "go-ahead" to do the "no-touch" procedure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bui95 (Post 6264572)
+1

if you plan on going with london, you can drop my name and you can get the same $2500 cost instead of $3000. - Quoc Bui

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Does anyone know of other eye centers in Vancouver that offer the No-touch procedure other then LEC?

rediculous 02-12-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bui95 (Post 6264572)
+1

I am planning to get it done there pretty soon, lucky i read this thread before shelling out $3000.

So do i just say your name or do I have to say where you work as well?

AppleSugary 02-12-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_cat (Post 6211498)

My sister went there too last summer and so far she recommends it.

AppleSugary 02-12-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penski604 (Post 6213703)

Monday? What are you doing right now in front of the computer? dont you need to stay one week in the dark and let your eyes heal first? thats what my little sister and her boyfriend did.

Anyways, her boyfriend did the laser eye surgery almost 10 years ago...even his parents and siblings went there. He was the one who recommended the LEC to my sister.

bui95 02-13-2009 03:12 PM

whatever place you decide, i would definitely go with "no touch." just the thought of someone taking a knife to my eye freaks me out!!!!

willystyle 02-13-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bui95 (Post 6279444)
whatever place you decide, i would definitely go with "no touch." just the thought of someone taking a knife to my eye freaks me out!!!!

Im only aware of LEC that offers No-touch, any other?

rediculous 02-13-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bui95 (Post 6279444)

thanks!!

I saved $500.
Now I got my surgery this Monday.
Hope the first week wouldnt be too hard.

bui95 02-13-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rediculous (Post 6279661)
thanks!!

I saved $500.
Now I got my surgery this Monday.
Hope the first week wouldnt be too hard.

make sure you get someone to drive you home the day of the surgery.