REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Nissan GT-R SpecV unveiled... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/559707-nissan-gt-r-specv-unveiled.html)

VSBB6 01-07-2009 09:47 PM

Nissan GT-R SpecV unveiled...

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/nissa...specv/1265556/

After nearly a year of speculation and spy shots, it's official: the Nissan GT-R SpecV has arrived. The limited edition GT-R is a subtle evolution of the super coupe that's set the world on fire after its introduction last year, and Nissan claims that it offers race car-levels of performance in a street-legal vehicle.

The body mods consist of a carbon fiber rear spoiler, grille and brake ducts, along with an exclusive Ultimate Black Opal paint job. On the inside, a set of carbon fiber Recaro buckets are fitted up front, while the rear seats have been nixed to save a few pounds. Carbon fiber also adorns the center storage box, instrument panel and replaces the majority of the interior trim.

The only substantive engine modification is a new high gear boost controller that increases the amount of compressed oxygen entering the twin-turbo'd 3.8-liter V6 to deliver more torque in mid- to high-range revs. A titanium-coated exhaust and a reworked suspension is fitted underneath, and carbon ceramic brakes hide behind 20-inch NISMO wheels that conspire to reduce unsprung mass and improve braking performance.

Sales begin in Japan at seven pre-selected dealers, with pricing set at 15,750,000 yen. There's no word on whether the GT-R SpecV will make the trek across the Pacific, but we're not holding our breath just yet.

.Renn.Sport 01-07-2009 10:02 PM

disappointment

Timpo 01-07-2009 10:02 PM

they doubled the price of base GT-R only for those mods?

I was expecting to see more, can it kill the ZR-1 or what? Also, how many horsepower?

Timpo 01-07-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport (Post 6212058)
disappointment

same here, I was expecting to see the same amount of difference between the Z06 and ZR-1.

Wongtouski 01-07-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 6212059)
they doubled the price of base GT-R only for those mods?

I was expecting to see more, can it kill the ZR-1 or what? Also, how many horsepower?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm isnt this one supposed to have beefed up HP to 550?

Timpo 01-07-2009 10:14 PM

ok so I did some research and you're paying $80,000 extra for the following:

-carbon ceramic brakes
-rays nismo wheels
-bilstein suspension
-high grip tires
-recaro carbon seats
-removed rear seats
-titanium exhaust
-carbon rear spoiler
-carbon grill
-carbon brake duct
-carbon interior trim

not worth it

Timpo 01-07-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wongtouski (Post 6212069)
hmmmmmmmmmmmm isnt this one supposed to have beefed up HP to 550?

yeah they decided not to

and for extra $80,000 they won't even give you better transmission, still the GR6 tranny, same as the standard GT-R.

Rikaro 01-07-2009 10:17 PM

I'm not surprised that they didn't do much to the exterior, because that's what they've been doing for the past gtr spec models.

However I was expecting more from the car, like heavy weight reduction. Isn't that the like 1700kg? It would be nice to see it drop down to 1400kg. I'm sure you'll see a huge performance gain from that.

optiblue 01-07-2009 10:21 PM

how's a guy supposed to convince their wives that this will be a good "family" car now!!! sheesh... "limited edition"... I'd like to see just how limited the sales will be on this one! If they're going to go hardcore "track" they should have just made it a 6 speed MT

.Renn.Sport 01-07-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 6212070)
ok so I did some research and you're paying $80,000 extra for the following:

-carbon ceramic brakes
-rays nismo wheels
-bilstein suspension
-high grip tires
-recaro carbon seats
-removed rear seats
-titanium exhaust
-carbon rear spoiler
-carbon grill
-carbon brake duct
-carbon interior trim

not worth it

it doesn't come with new tires, its still running RE070R.
for the same amount of money, i'm sure u can get all of those mods that are better then what Nismo offer + more mods

there were rumors from the Japanese dealers saying that the ceramic brakes (rotors and pads for 4 corners) will cost around 4 million yen plus labor....:eek:

Timpo 01-07-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport (Post 6212090)
it doesn't come with new tires, its still running RE070R.
for the same amount of money, i'm sure u can get all of those mods that are better then what Nismo offer + more mods

there were rumors from the Japanese dealers saying that the ceramic brakes (rotors and pads for 4 corners) will cost around 4 million yen plus labor....:eek:

4 million yen is roughly $40,000.

how much was the ZR-1? ceramic brakes? I heard they use ideantical brakes as the Ferrari Enzo?

impactX 01-07-2009 10:41 PM

ZR-1's rear brakes are athe same as Enzo's front brakes... ZR-1's front brakes are even more massive (in terms of size).

LeanNsupreme 01-07-2009 10:54 PM

Looks like something Motegi would make, ugly as hell!
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....gt-r_specv.jpg

Mugen EvOlutioN 01-07-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikaro (Post 6212077)
I'm not surprised that they didn't do much to the exterior, because that's what they've been doing for the past gtr spec models.

However I was expecting more from the car, like heavy weight reduction. Isn't that the like 1700kg? It would be nice to see it drop down to 1400kg. I'm sure you'll see a huge performance gain from that.

1800kg actually to be precise, as much as a fucking Toyota Sienna mini van

even a LP560 is around 1450kg with a freaking V10

Leung_Dog 01-07-2009 11:15 PM

that new purply red color is pretti.

Timpo 01-07-2009 11:26 PM

heh,

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3190.html
2041 kg / 4500 lbs
http://www.edmunds.com/media/il/feat...veyron.340.jpg

Slab_Ryda 01-07-2009 11:29 PM

The high price is probably nissan's way of trying to make it exclusive. if it was a cheap car then everyone would have one and the GT-R wouldn't be as baller. The majority of ppl that buy the GT-R would have 80 G's or more to pimp it out anyways, so they wont complain about the price...

.Renn.Sport 01-07-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko535 (Post 6212201)
The high price is probably nissan's way of trying to make it exclusive. if it was a cheap car then everyone would have one and the GT-R wouldn't be as baller. The majority of ppl that buy the GT-R would have 80 G's or more to pimp it out anyways, so they wont complain about the price...

even ferrari don't charge that much on top on the Scuderia over a standard F430.

and Ferrari actually improved A LOT on the Scud compare to the standard car to justify the price increase.

all Nissan did was put on the crappy Nismo parts on the regular GTR and take out the rear seats and want 80g for it.

AzNightmare 01-07-2009 11:43 PM

meh, I don't see much difference. I don't know the specs, but unless this can beat the ZR-1 or be on par or something, this is nothing special.
The rims are ugly, and the exhaust is ugly as well.

penner2k 01-08-2009 05:39 AM

I bet all the people saying "wait for the SpecV" are feeling like tools now!

ericthehalfbee 01-08-2009 05:56 AM

Haahahhahahahhahhaa

I already posted this would happen, but none of the GTR fanboys would listen to me. I previously stated:

- I said they wouldn't increase power much because the tranny couldn't handle it, and they're not going to spend the money to develop another, stronger tranny just for a limited run vehicle. GTR fans said they could put stronger gears in the tranny, and I said they couldn't. It's a moot point since the gears aren't what's failing anyway. The fact that they only allow increased boost in "high gear" proves the tranny is the weak point. Me - 1, GTR Fanboys 0.
- I also said they wouldn't increase power much because getting a 6 cylinder engine to produce more than 500HP and remain street legal would be extremely difficult, and they weren't going to change the basic design of the engine. Me - 2, GTR Fanboiys still 0.
- I said they wouldn't be able to make it significantly lighter since they're not going to switch from steel to aluminum for the chassis, and carbon panels can only save so much weight. Me - 3, GTR Fanboys agsin still 0.

And no, this doesn't make me a genuis or able to predict the future. It's just common fucking sense that anybody with even the slightest knowledge of mechanics or engineering could figure out on their own.

LowTEC 01-08-2009 06:11 AM

You've gotta be shitting me,this still is a piece of fugly looking crap for $200,000. Oh, so much for the hype

LowTEC 01-08-2009 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6212470)
I bet all the people saying "wait for the SpecV" are feeling like tools now!

*cough* Timpo *cough* :haha:

trdees 01-08-2009 06:44 AM

someone should quote all the times timpo said "wait for the SpecV" hahaha

EndLeSS8 01-08-2009 09:43 AM

I'm no GTR fanboy, but at least Nissan has a sports car, compared to Toyota, Honda, Mazda, etc