REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   damn computer...help? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/559744-damn-computer-help.html)

Hickman 01-08-2009 07:48 AM

damn computer...help?

Hello all, i have meen having some CRAZY problems with my comp ever since i built it (i think mostly cuz vista sucks) but i decided i wanted to go to 8GB of ram that way i know id have enough . but it showed up today, put it in and it starts to boot, then says, " System in safe mode, please change the CPU or memory Frequience" what the hell does that mean? lol... i just added 2 more sticks of the EXACT same memory. any help is apreated, i will put my sustem info and links below.

RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Z%20Technology

XFX nForce 790i URTLA
Q9300 overclocked at 1600FSB (was running at 1800, brought it down to check the ram, still wont boot) 1.6***** Volts
Ram stock clocked at 1600FSB 1.9 Volts
FSB voltage: 1.35

If you need any more info just ask, and thanks again

dustinb 01-08-2009 08:11 AM

Well what version of Vista are you running, Vista 32 or Vista 64? The memory limit in Vista 32 is 4GB, so that could very well be your problem. As for reliability, I'm running vista on two of my computers, and everything runs great. I have 4GB DDR2 800 memory, at a CL of 4-4-4-12. The only time I ran into problems was when I tried to overclock my memory, and then I just got program crashes.

I would think that your problem right now is 32 bit Vista, or you have faulty memory. To test your memory, you can download a program called memtest (it's free, google MEMTEST), and using the ISO image they provide, burn a bootable CD. It will take quite a while to do a single pass on 8gb of ram, but it will tell you if there is something wrong with the memory or not.

mr_baboon 01-08-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickman (Post 6212562)
Hello all, i have meen having some CRAZY problems with my comp ever since i built it (i think mostly cuz vista sucks) but i decided i wanted to go to 8GB of ram that way i know id have enough . but it showed up today, put it in and it starts to boot, then says, " System in safe mode, please change the CPU or memory Frequience" what the hell does that mean? lol... i just added 2 more sticks of the EXACT same memory. any help is apreated, i will put my sustem info and links below.

RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Z%20Technology

XFX nForce 790i URTLA
Q9300 overclocked at 1600FSB (was running at 1800, brought it down to check the ram, still wont boot) 1.6***** Volts
Ram stock clocked at 1600FSB 1.9 Volts
FSB voltage: 1.35

If you need any more info just ask, and thanks again

Either your timing is horribly out (probably not) or you got a bad stick of ram. Pull one of the new sticks out, test it, then pull the other out and test it.

And dustin, you can put 8GB in with 32bit, it'll just recognize 3.5GB (including video card memory)

Victoria SiR 01-08-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinb (Post 6212583)
Well what version of Vista are you running, Vista 32 or Vista 64? The memory limit in Vista 32 is 4GB, so that could very well be your problem. As for reliability, I'm running vista on two of my computers, and everything runs great. I have 4GB DDR2 800 memory, at a CL of 4-4-4-12. The only time I ran into problems was when I tried to overclock my memory, and then I just got program crashes.

I would think that your problem right now is 32 bit Vista, or you have faulty memory. To test your memory, you can download a program called memtest (it's free, google MEMTEST), and using the ISO image they provide, burn a bootable CD. It will take quite a while to do a single pass on 8gb of ram, but it will tell you if there is something wrong with the memory or not.

It doesn't matter how much ram you have. it just wont utilize it beyond the limits of the OS.

About 1 out of every 50 sticks of memory we get is usually faulty it does happen.

And stop all this over clocking nonsense.

Type R 01-08-2009 10:38 AM

+1 on dial back the overclocking. It can make windows unstable, and even crash your O/S and require a wipe & reload.

There is a very fine line between reliabilty & o/cing

lardo4life 01-08-2009 11:05 AM

Turn off 'SLI ready memory' (or something to that effect) in the bios... I know the EVGA SLI boards have the same problem if you have 4 sticks of ram.

Hickman 01-08-2009 12:15 PM

SLI mem is off.
i only changed that main timmings ( 7-7-7-24 cuz the auto had it set to 7-7-7-20) all the rest i left on "auto"
and the computer boots fine if i have the FSB for the ram at 1333 ... but isent this 1600 FSB ram? or am i reading it wrong?
and yeah i have a 64 but OS
and i have ran memtest b4, it seemed to be ok, but ill run it again tonight all night.

mr_baboon 01-08-2009 12:23 PM

You're computer setup scares me. That's a 1333 FSB rated processor...

Hickman 01-08-2009 12:56 PM

im not talking about the CPU, i knwo about that :P

Victoria SiR 01-08-2009 01:43 PM

Set all the shit to factory default.

Configure BIOS to your CPU specifications.

Reboot.

Don't fuck with it.

ostampflee 01-08-2009 01:59 PM

That would make too much sense ;)

Victoria SiR 01-08-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickman (Post 6212973)
im not talking about the CPU, i knwo about that :P

Wait, wait, wait...

For starters you are throwing out terms left and right and not making any sense.

There is only one Front Side Bus, that is from your processor. You have a RAM Bus as well. They both connect to the North bridge, that is what is controlling your memory. From there it is gonna go to your Video Card, and to the South Bridge (South Bridge goes to the rest of your I/O slots etc).

If you have your Memory Bus and your Front Side Bus at different speeds you are generally gonna run into some problems, unless you have an asynchronous board. This can allow you to run faster memory clocks and shit.

You have different modules running at different speeds all over the place.

Hickman 01-08-2009 02:18 PM

"Configure BIOS to your CPU specifications" what do you mean my that ecacally, and i have the FSB at 1333 and it still locked once already.

Semper 01-08-2009 02:23 PM

*Warning - Im sort of advising about overclocking so if you don't know what you are doing and F something up DONT Blame me..! *

Not really about over clocking. but.. Even at stock speeds there can be problems with the auto settings...
Some ram / boards dont do well with stock frequency / voltages in 4 stick configurations. Most are tested with 2 stick configs.

In 4 stick configurations sometimes people have to raise the stock voltage on the ram to get it stable at stock speeds even.

Now I am not saying raise your ram voltages ... until you can troubleshoot it more and pinpoint that it due to voltage problem .... Ie run mem test.. on all 4 sticks... at stock .. if you get error, take out 2 sticks repeat.. test .. if it passes swap the 2 sticks repeat. If that passes as well, then it could be due to 4 stick config . if it fails at any of the 2 stick tests , more then likely it is a bad stick.

Hickman 01-09-2009 07:07 AM

ran memtest with everything at stock (excpt the Voltage for the ram, it had to be at 1.9 it says on the sticks) and memtest crashed. i woke up to a white screen. and i think something is realy fucked, cux now i cant connect to MSN or windows update again... *sigh*....... help? could it be the board? :S

**edit**

i just say the my clock was reset to Jan 1 2003...i set it to the right date and the msn and windowes updater works...wtf is going on :( :S

tamazoid 01-10-2009 08:12 AM

I say it's probably faulty sticks of RAM, or not enough voltage to the RAM. Try raising the voltage a little. Or take out the new sticks and give it a try. Or were you still having problems before the new sticks were put in?

Hickman 01-10-2009 10:29 AM

i was still have problems before the new ram, but with just the 2 sticks (new or old) it boots at 1600, but with 4 it wont, i might just run them at 1333 at lower timmings tho..

Darb 2k 01-10-2009 11:17 AM

Congratulations. Welcome to overclocking

Hickman 01-10-2009 12:20 PM

well, its at a friends house have some things checked out (he works for FS) and so far he can tell me what its NOt, lol, its NOT the CPU and not the board (90%) its eather going to be the ram or GPU's he is thinking. eather way i dont really care, all thoes parts are covered by warrintie. :D

mr_baboon 01-10-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickman (Post 6216113)
well, its at a friends house have some things checked out (he works for FS) and so far he can tell me what its NOt, lol, its NOT the CPU and not the board (90%) its eather going to be the ram or GPU's he is thinking. eather way i dont really care, all thoes parts are covered by warrintie. :D

Not if they've been overclocked. That's the joy of overclocking.

And it's NOT the gpus. You'd be getting a different error.

aspect 01-10-2009 01:18 PM

You don't burn stuff out overclocking and then send it back for a warranty claim.
No offense, but it doesn't really sound like you know what you are doing. I would advise not doing any overclocking.

tamazoid 01-10-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickman (Post 6216001)
i was still have problems before the new ram, but with just the 2 sticks (new or old) it boots at 1600, but with 4 it wont, i might just run them at 1333 at lower timmings tho..

What I think is that you're not running enough voltage to your ram... My setup may be different that yours but I needed to up my voltage when I put 4 sticks in. I'm at 2.35v right now. But then again, mine's rated at 2.20v stock.

But if everything fails, then I recommend just running everything at default before something else goes wrong.

Hickman 01-10-2009 02:28 PM

i was having problems befoer i started overclocking. just not as frequently. and i wont say i know nuthing abuot what im doing, but i will say that i have a lot to learn. and what i plan on doing is after i figure out what the problem is, im going to fix it then start at base and hopefully get help with my next over clock. and also, the RAM and GPU's were NEVER overclocked, only the CPUand that is fine (so the test says). for the most part the ram was UNDERCLOCKED. and the ram is raited at 1.9V so maybe to get it to run at 1600 somewhere around 2.05? (going off your setup? i tried putting it up to 1.925 and that did not help, but then again, i culd not find any max voltage specks for my ream like i could for my CPU so i did not wanna push it too far.

tamazoid 01-10-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickman (Post 6216241)
i was having problems befoer i started overclocking. just not as frequently. and i wont say i know nuthing abuot what im doing, but i will say that i have a lot to learn. and what i plan on doing is after i figure out what the problem is, im going to fix it then start at base and hopefully get help with my next over clock. and also, the RAM and GPU's were NEVER overclocked, only the CPUand that is fine (so the test says). for the most part the ram was UNDERCLOCKED. and the ram is raited at 1.9V so maybe to get it to run at 1600 somewhere around 2.05? (going off your setup? i tried putting it up to 1.925 and that did not help, but then again, i culd not find any max voltage specks for my ream like i could for my CPU so i did not wanna push it too far.

Yea... I wouldn't push it until you know for sure what's wrong... I'm just saying my first guess is the RAM. Either faulty or under voltage. Like Semper says at the top, some board don't run well with 4 stick configurations even at default/auto settings.

Darb 2k 01-10-2009 03:13 PM

When RAM is rate for a certain voltage, it needs to be run at THAT voltage to work properly.

If you had problems before you overclocked, then why did you overclock?

Of course it doesnt work.