REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Curious question: working out at the gym (https://www.revscene.net/forums/562087-curious-question-working-out-gym.html)

JSALES 01-26-2009 02:58 AM

Curious question: working out at the gym

Do you people who are big or whatnot ever look down on people who are "skinny" or not as big at the gym who can't lift a lot of weights? Do you guys ever think to yourself "wtf is this kid doing here?" or something around those lines..

SkinnyPupp 01-26-2009 03:04 AM

Nope. Everyone was a beginner at one point ;)

What I do "look down upon" is when people do nothing but stupid shit, like doing curls in the squat rack with a weight belt on. And idiots who do nothing but chat around the bench press, taking turns trying to get "records" while having their "spotter" do most of the work.

kAzE- 01-26-2009 08:23 AM

what skinnypup said.

Berzerker 01-26-2009 08:31 AM

As long as people are putting in a good effort I don't care how much they are lifting. Hell even for my size I don't lift very heavy but I do lift properly. I chuckle when I see guys lifting what is obviously to much weight with form that is waaaay off. Leave your machismo at the door and do shit right with the proper weights for YOU.
Everyone who comes to the gym was weak when they started.

Berz out.

AzNightmare 01-26-2009 08:38 AM

I've always been a scrawny guy and always wondered about this too. I always feel intimidated when I'm near some big guy doing like 3x my weights... lol

But I know it's all in my head, I've never had bad experiences before. But who knows... people think a lot of things in their head. Including me thinking, "damn, I bet that big dude is probably thinking "wtf am I doing here."" lol. It's fine as long as they just leave me alone.

RayBot 01-26-2009 09:12 AM

Im the fat guy that goes to the gym....therfore i envy the skinny guy that walks into the gym.

abinga 01-26-2009 09:19 AM

I get a good laugh out of people who use momentum to lift more than they can. Other than that, I look down on people who are on their cell phones for the entire workout.

Conan O'Brien Sex Video 01-26-2009 09:58 AM

i go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week, so when i see regulars who are are skinny and trying to get big, or who are on the chubby side and trying to get rid of fat, i admire them for their dedication in trying to improve themself.

so yeah it doesn't matter how you look physically, but if you're doing something stupid then yeah, i'll look down on you.

SkinnyPupp 01-26-2009 10:00 AM

Actually another thing that bugs me is fat people who do nothing but ab workouts

jakobi 01-26-2009 06:16 PM

im a big guy...no i don't look down on skinny or weak people..only if they do stupid idiotic things then yes...like these one scrawny ass asian guy at my gym who thinks he's all that....he wears baggy sweats pants and a du rag....one time i saw he racked 3 plates on each side on the decline bench...stretched and walked around probably for 10 mins...he got on the bench, still stretching, then he hold on to the bar for 10 secs...got off the bench and took all the weights down....lol

most of the big guys in the gym are nice people

6thGear. 01-26-2009 06:43 PM

True that! All the big guys are super nice and even lend a helping hand if they see you having trouble. Although, not being racist, I'm not sure about the steriod monkey EI's. Never really talked to them. Its the skinny guys who lift all wrong that have the ego problems and looked down on smaller guys than them. I remember some 110 lb 5'9 skinny EI who acted all tough cause he was with his roid moneky friend. Acted all cocky and didn't move when I said "excuse me" when I tried to pass by him. I'm 5'5 150lb in case your wondering

Jer3 01-26-2009 08:03 PM

noticed that too. the big guys are always really nice and respectful. some are also quite helpful as i've received tips from some before.

jakobi 01-26-2009 09:51 PM

yeah you also have douche bags like those....
i remembered one time i went to this gym in surrey....128st and 76th....the whole gym was filled with E.I's...I was the only non E.I guy there....the roid headed E.I's gave me the dirtiest look...all of them were staring at me thinking wtf is this chink doing here....

that day was leg day and i was so eager to do squats..i was waiting for this roid headed e.i to finish his squat so i can do squat....he was squatting 315 for 8 (not even half way down), and his skinny buddy was like....yeah man...thats how you do it buddy..throwing this gay ass hand signs..right towards me.....

i was like stfu buddy.....but i didn't say anything....he finished his squat and went to do some leg pressing...i was warming up with my squat...warming up with 135, 225 for 6 (full squat)...i could see them looking at me through the mirror in front of me...they looked so pissed off....i couldn't care less....i finished my squat with 525 (almost full squat) for 3 reps...did other leg workout and left the gym...

man i love going to new gyms, doing some heavy ass workout, and see the reaction of the regulars there....lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6thGear. (Post 6247090)
True that! All the big guys are super nice and even lend a helping hand if they see you having trouble. Although, not being racist, I'm not sure about the steriod monkey EI's. Never really talked to them. Its the skinny guys who lift all wrong that have the ego problems and looked down on smaller guys than them. I remember some 110 lb 5'9 skinny EI who acted all tough cause he was with his roid moneky friend. Acted all cocky and didn't move when I said "excuse me" when I tried to pass by him. I'm 5'5 150lb in case your wondering

6thGear. 01-26-2009 10:34 PM

You can pull off 525 lb squats? Holy shit! :eek2: I gotta see this.(not calling BS) but this is one of those things I'd want to see in person. But yeah, the same cocky shit with his rod buddy was doing chest incline one day with I believe either 80 or 100 lbs dumbells and I shit you not, was moving his arms down 2" and screaming at the top of his lungs! hahaha. fucking douchebag! I'm glad I'm not at Sport Central anymore.

TRDood 01-26-2009 10:43 PM

whats a 525 squat? like.. 6 plates each side?
shietzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

JSALES 01-26-2009 11:01 PM

okay, what's E.I. stand for? haha

triplexcel 01-27-2009 12:22 AM

ahah yeah... i look down on the people that grunt so load that the entire place has to hear his grunting/yelling/screaming/ whatever.. also the guys that seem to lift more weight than they are suppose to.

funny how all the noobies (including myself back then) use to do concentration curls on leg. i still see that today.

AzNightmare 01-27-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 6247782)
okay, what's E.I. stand for? haha

East Indian.

keepz1 01-27-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6thGear. (Post 6247720)
You can pull off 525 lb squats? Holy shit! :eek2: I gotta see this.(not calling BS) but this is one of those things I'd want to see in person. But yeah, the same cocky shit with his rod buddy was doing chest incline one day with I believe either 80 or 100 lbs dumbells and I shit you not, was moving his arms down 2" and screaming at the top of his lungs! hahaha. fucking douchebag! I'm glad I'm not at Sport Central anymore.

i have been at sports central for a while there arent any big guys there..maybe one steroid monkey

hal0g0dv2 01-27-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobi (Post 6247585)
yeah you also have douche bags like those....
i remembered one time i went to this gym in surrey....128st and 76th....the whole gym was filled with E.I's...I was the only non E.I guy there....the roid headed E.I's gave me the dirtiest look...all of them were staring at me thinking wtf is this chink doing here....

that day was leg day and i was so eager to do squats..i was waiting for this roid headed e.i to finish his squat so i can do squat....he was squatting 315 for 8 (not even half way down), and his skinny buddy was like....yeah man...thats how you do it buddy..throwing this gay ass hand signs..right towards me.....

i was like stfu buddy.....but i didn't say anything....he finished his squat and went to do some leg pressing...i was warming up with my squat...warming up with 135, 225 for 6 (full squat)...i could see them looking at me through the mirror in front of me...they looked so pissed off....i couldn't care less....i finished my squat with 525 (almost full squat) for 3 reps...did other leg workout and left the gym...

man i love going to new gyms, doing some heavy ass workout, and see the reaction of the regulars there....lol

hahha i love that shit, all these douches look around in the gym eye balling the fuck out of you. they prob spend 3 hours at the gym cause all they do is talk and workout is groups of 5. I am there for 45min- 1 hour and i am done. Back to the point tho, i do not look down upon that because we all started with light weight or some what

RacePace 01-27-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepz1 (Post 6248626)
i have been at sports central for a while there arent any big guys there..maybe one steroid monkey

yeah, and the steroid monkey doesn't even know how to lift properly

paperclip12 01-27-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6thGear. (Post 6247720)

description of the guy?

keepz1 01-27-2009 04:03 PM

who else here works out at sports central?
im sure i have seen most of you guys
i go around 11 use to go at 6

6thGear. 01-27-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperclip12 (Post 6249029)
description of the guy?

which guy? The cocky scrawny one? 5'9, prob 110 lbs. Thats all I remember. I only saw him like 3 times.

jakobi 01-27-2009 05:24 PM

no...5 plates, plus 10, 5 and the bar

6 plates would be 585

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 6247734)
whats a 525 squat? like.. 6 plates each side?
shietzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz