REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
The Lower Mainland - Guaranteed RCMP Posting

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?si...1&languageId=1

this link leads to a press release on the BC RCMP web site. There are two presentations at the Justice Institute tomorrow in an attempt to fast track new recruits to the Force. Just think, starting a new career 83 days from now and being able to be promised a posting at home!
Advertisement
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
There are reasons why they promise the LMD. They are very short of Members there, it's expensive to move into & live there, the workload is very heavy...and most Members not already living there...DON"T want to work there. If you live there now it's a lot easier to just go back home...and that way folks who don't want to work there, won't HAVE to be transferred there.

On the upside, they are making "battlefield promotions" to Cpl for Members with 3 years service, ( see "shortage of Members " above) you will get lots of very fast paced work, lots of exposure to just about every crime, lots of possibilities to get into specialized sections. Whoever is left after the 2010 burnout will get just about what they want. We're about 1000 Members short now in BC and huge numbers of the remaining experienced long service Members will be bailing soon as the Olympics are over. It's going to get way worse as there is no possible way to get the required numbers of new Members in the positions in the forseeable future. Also, the recent 2% wage clawback is NOT being taken well by Members. Anybody left standing will have almost unlimited opportunities waiting for them....but very few bodies to do the work.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
We've had a Nationally advertised Cpl position available for a while now on our watch, but no one wants to come out here. Within the next year or so, we'll probably have another spot open, too.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
The "You'd Know" Moderator
 
impactX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Home
Posts: 20,885
Thanked 214 Times in 118 Posts
Yeah, a buddy of mine who's been in the Force for 2 years is getting acting time already.
__________________
08 CBR600RR
03 IS300

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
As a S/Sgt or white shirt?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: coq
Posts: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I sign up and get recruited can I choose to stay in Richmond, BC? I prefer handing out tickets than dealing with shootings in Surrey.
LittleNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
But Richmond had the plane crash into the apartment building?...and you would have to spend all the rest of your time dealing with whining, sniveling ricers in slammed Civics who said you were just harassing them because they had nice cars with tinted windows and no front plates. Sure you wouldn't like a nice gangsta drive by instead?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Why is there like a $10,000 differential in starting salary compared to VPD and other municipal police departments?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer
 
Five-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 471
Thanked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNewton View Post
If I sign up and get recruited can I choose to stay in Richmond, BC? I prefer handing out tickets than dealing with shootings in Surrey.
Maybe you should be looking into a career as a meter maid then. I am in Richmond and it isn't all about handing out tickets all day long. I can't even count the number of shootings I have been at, went into the building the plane crashed into, stabbings, had a guy come at me with a knife, foot pursuits, fights, car jackings, home invasions, kidnappings, etc. If all you want to do is hand out tickets, policing isn't the career for you.

There are tons of opportunities in the Lower Mainland, but they don't call it "the suck" for nothing. Contrary to popular belief it isn't all about eating donuts and drinking coffee. It is busy all day long, you don't always get a break in a 12 hour shift, you don't always go home on time (my last shift I had to stay 5 hours after the end of my shift which isn't the most fun after you have worked all night), you have a ton of responsibility when you are junior in service, and the list goes on. Even though it is hard work, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Aside from my troop mates in the Lower Mainland, I have done way more calls, seen way more stuff, been an Acting Corporal, done a northern relief posting in the Yukon, and the list goes on.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's Box
Posts: 618
Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
a co worker of mine's husband just went to depot last Sunday and he told her that he is getting his butt kicked. Also have a Colleague who started Depot in December and says its one of the most brutal things he has ever experienced.

Are there any Municipal members on here? or anyone who could explain the difference between RCMP 24 week training vs VPD 35 week training?
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Why is there like a $10,000 differential in starting salary compared to VPD and other municipal police departments?
Ottawa would never really answer that. The RCMP is one of the cheapest Police Forces to hire. We come trained & equipped and, depending on the size of your town, you pay anywhere from nothing..to 90% of our "cost". If you are a huge city then you m ight pay list price...but with no union, we come 1 to a car and there are no minimum staffing levels like the Munis. Our caseloads are usually 2 to 3 times higher than Munis also.

On money alone we are about the 57th best paid Cops in Canada. When that really looked bad they came up with a formula that combined pay & benefits and told us that we would be in the top 6 of the Police $$$ universe. That has long gone out the window and now, while other Police are getting double digit raises, we get a 2% clawback. If it is about the money, then the Munis pay way better.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Ottawa would never really answer that. The RCMP is one of the cheapest Police Forces to hire. We come trained & equipped and, depending on the size of your town, you pay anywhere from nothing..to 90% of our "cost". If you are a huge city then you m ight pay list price...but with no union, we come 1 to a car and there are no minimum staffing levels like the Munis. Our caseloads are usually 2 to 3 times higher than Munis also.

On money alone we are about the 57th best paid Cops in Canada. When that really looked bad they came up with a formula that combined pay & benefits and told us that we would be in the top 6 of the Police $$$ universe. That has long gone out the window and now, while other Police are getting double digit raises, we get a 2% clawback. If it is about the money, then the Munis pay way better.
And from the other force files I've read in the lower mainland, the RCMP's standards in file writing is MUCH higher.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
MOD
 
Gh0stRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VANCOUVER
Posts: 26,507
Thanked 7,099 Times in 1,842 Posts
I went to the presentation. It was packed with people. They had to add a 3rd presentation to get everyone in.

Left my info for pre-screening. Hopefully they call. Exam is on March 7th.
__________________
M0D3RAT0R

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: surrey
Posts: 243
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD604 View Post
I went to the presentation. It was packed with people. They had to add a 3rd presentation to get everyone in.

Left my info for pre-screening. Hopefully they call. Exam is on March 7th.
I was there too they expected 300 ppl max but something like 700 showed up. I'm not eligible for accelerated program cuz of a recent 24hr. Made the wrong decisions before I realized what I wanna do with my life.
dj bally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
MOD
 
Gh0stRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VANCOUVER
Posts: 26,507
Thanked 7,099 Times in 1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj bally View Post
I was there too they expected 300 ppl max but something like 700 showed up. I'm not eligible for accelerated program cuz of a recent 24hr. Made the wrong decisions before I realized what I wanna do with my life.
damn...sorry to hear that you dont qualify for it.
__________________
M0D3RAT0R

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #16
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Ottawa would never really answer that. The RCMP is one of the cheapest Police Forces to hire. We come trained & equipped and, depending on the size of your town, you pay anywhere from nothing..to 90% of our "cost". If you are a huge city then you m ight pay list price...but with no union, we come 1 to a car and there are no minimum staffing levels like the Munis. Our caseloads are usually 2 to 3 times higher than Munis also.

On money alone we are about the 57th best paid Cops in Canada. When that really looked bad they came up with a formula that combined pay & benefits and told us that we would be in the top 6 of the Police $$$ universe. That has long gone out the window and now, while other Police are getting double digit raises, we get a 2% clawback. If it is about the money, then the Munis pay way better.
Can you provide me with a reference to that?

Thanks!
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #17
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Not off hand...but the figure keeps getting passed around inside the outfit. I have no access to recent pay scales in Canadian policing but you should be able to google the info.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
johny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: here
Posts: 5,793
Thanked 146 Times in 67 Posts
I'm not surprised they need people for the GVRD. if I was offered a job to work anywhere in Canada, I certainly wouldn't be picking the most expensive city in the country! you can still buy nice houses with large property for under 100k in some cities.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
MOD
 
Gh0stRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: VANCOUVER
Posts: 26,507
Thanked 7,099 Times in 1,842 Posts
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome
__________________
M0D3RAT0R

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Ottawa would never really answer that. The RCMP is one of the cheapest Police Forces to hire. We come trained & equipped and, depending on the size of your town, you pay anywhere from nothing..to 90% of our "cost". If you are a huge city then you m ight pay list price...but with no union, we come 1 to a car and there are no minimum staffing levels like the Munis. Our caseloads are usually 2 to 3 times higher than Munis also.

On money alone we are about the 57th best paid Cops in Canada. When that really looked bad they came up with a formula that combined pay & benefits and told us that we would be in the top 6 of the Police $$$ universe. That has long gone out the window and now, while other Police are getting double digit raises, we get a 2% clawback. If it is about the money, then the Munis pay way better.
To be honest, reading what you posted is quite discouraging as I am preparing my application for municipal and RCMP. Honestly, who would want to do more work, and be paid less for the same job? Are there any positives that you can say about the RCMP? If not, I would focus my app for municipal only.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Not to discourage you, only to let you know what you will really be facing in the trenches. The advantages to the RCMP include access to a huge variety of specialized sections from overseas embassy stuff, international policing opportunities, air marshals, Tac, ERT etc. There are chances to travel as well..if you like that it can be a very positive thing. The Force tends to allow you to stay in the special sections, unlike Vic PD who rotate people in and out of them,m in spite of their desire to stay there. Work for Van PD and you will be there for your career with no change of scenery. It's a personal choice, and like many things in life, there are downsides and upsides to everything.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #22
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 233
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
damn.. this is a pretty good thread.

i applied for RCMP for the opportunities.. even though i always wanted to be VPD. anyhoo it's been about 9 months now and i basically did eveything but recently hurt my knee and on medical hold ...... basically, i wish they had the 83 day process when i applied last year, would have been to and prob finished depot by now.
__________________
Any day is a GOOD day for beer!
fukkeneh240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Not to discourage you, only to let you know what you will really be facing in the trenches. The advantages to the RCMP include access to a huge variety of specialized sections from overseas embassy stuff, international policing opportunities, air marshals, Tac, ERT etc. There are chances to travel as well..if you like that it can be a very positive thing. The Force tends to allow you to stay in the special sections, unlike Vic PD who rotate people in and out of them,m in spite of their desire to stay there. Work for Van PD and you will be there for your career with no change of scenery. It's a personal choice, and like many things in life, there are downsides and upsides to everything.
When you speak of international opportunities such as "overseas embassy stuff" and "international policing opportunities" as well as other opportunities to travel..

Do these apply for new constables? or are these opportunities usually given to higher senior members?

I've read about liaison officers working overseas in 35 different countries, but they usually only have 1 officer for each destination, so that's only 35 international liaison job opportunities there for that position, Are other international policing job opportunities with RCMP relatively be limited and a competitive process?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #24
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Whatever you eventually do, you will have to start by spending time in the trenches as a GD Cst for a while. If you have special skills you can often use them to get into special sections. They are often looking for people with these skills to take courses and expand what they do. Overseas postings do involve embassies & the best qualified people ( in theory) get them. They also are looking for teachers/instructors to do stuff like Africa, Iraq etc and they always need trainers for everything from driver training at Depot to snipers in ERT, to Air Marshals. There is also Boat section, Air section, PM protective detail...you name it. There is not a hope in the world that you will go into these without basic Police experience and personal skills. Have these and they will snap you up. As I have mentioned in other postings, after 2010 the desks and cars are going to be empty in a lot of areas. If they can make you a Cpl in the LMD after 2-3 years service without an exam or PRP or a minimum 7 years service right now...imagine the potential?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #25
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Whatever you eventually do, you will have to start by spending time in the trenches as a GD Cst for a while. If you have special skills you can often use them to get into special sections. They are often looking for people with these skills to take courses and expand what they do. Overseas postings do involve embassies & the best qualified people ( in theory) get them. They also are looking for teachers/instructors to do stuff like Africa, Iraq etc and they always need trainers for everything from driver training at Depot to snipers in ERT, to Air Marshals. There is also Boat section, Air section, PM protective detail...you name it. There is not a hope in the world that you will go into these without basic Police experience and personal skills. Have these and they will snap you up. As I have mentioned in other postings, after 2010 the desks and cars are going to be empty in a lot of areas. If they can make you a Cpl in the LMD after 2-3 years service without an exam or PRP or a minimum 7 years service right now...imagine the potential?
Theoretically, it takes 7 years to be a Cpl? Wow! But yeah, it seems like RCMP offers more opportunities for growth and to work in different areas, more so than municipal. Do you happen to know if they ever have any oversea postings for China, Japan or Korea?

Does RCMP offer ride-a-long to civilians like VPD?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net