REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #2826
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I hope ASHL won't do that. If they do, there's a LOT of business they'll be losing....

My mask doesn't come with Certified cages or a way to mount them. So i wouldn't even play ASHL anymore.
Advertisement
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #2827
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
I really hope this isn't true. Can't stand any other cages.
I'm all for allowing adults to choose their own gear, and the cateye is a big one. The goalie that I know who use the cateye will not use anything else.

I use a cheater cage, and it's great, but I don't think it's certified. If I had to change to one of those shitty junior B cages for ashl games, I would stop playing ashl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
No sorry I just ranted past your original point. I know they have a waiver for CE cages, but for them to straight up ban them in a league full of consenting adults seems odd to me.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #2828
retired

I really like ASHL as a league, but they follow Hockey Canada ruling. Seems strange, as you all mentioned, I consent and understand the risk to using non certified gear.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #2829
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I can't remember, but does ASHL still allow players to play without a visor or cage?
I always found that strange.
And Ice604 requires a visor or cage, but they allow non certified gear. I remember one guy that cut his half visor in half so it was barely a 1/4 visor but at the time it was cool with the wording for their insurance policy.

That being said, I am one of those guys that play without shoulder pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #2830
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^ I think ASHL requires CSA face protection now.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #2831
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
Sorry, maybe I worded it wrong. They are trying to ban cat eye cages. They didn't mention anything about non CSA helmets (from what I can recall) but I wouldn't rule that being next on their list.

Id rather use a non CSA/HECC mask that is proven, vs some widow maker "certified" mask off the shelf (ie, NME 3)
Non-CSA cages are still permitted as per the 2015/16 rule book: http://ashl.adultrechockey.ca/files/...le_Book_EN.pdf

Quote:
3.2 HELMETS & GOALIE MASKS
Helmets are mandatory and must be worn by all Players and Referees.
Helmets must be CSA approved (no Gretzky/Jofa shell helmets) with
properly
fastened chinstraps. A Minor penalty will be assessed to any
Player that does not have his/her helmet chin strap fastened properly.
This rule will be enforced by the Referees and League Officials for all
games and during warm-ups.
Goaltenders must use CSA approved helmets. If a Goaltender chooses
to use a non-CSA approved cage (i.e. Cat’s Eye), a waiver will have to
be signed by that Player prior to the first scheduled game, absolving the
League of any responsibility for any injury incurred.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #2832

Just got my new toy delivered today. Initial impression is that it's noticeably lighter than my Eddy, but likely a tad heavier than my borrowed T3.

Thankfully I have a game tomorrow so I'll be able to do a better first impressions/review shortly.

Downside? It smells like paint and foam so I am airing it out and breathing it all in lol

This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #2833
retired

Cant wait for the reviews!

I'm still waiting or my Shark 965. They got back-logged, and hopefully it will be completed soon.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #2834
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Bauer supreme nxg sticks are on sale at Sport Chek for $139.99 plus buy one get one 50% off.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #2835

That's a killer deal on a great stick. Too bad I have no more extra hockey funds to partake :'(
Old 09-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #2836

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Bauer supreme nxg sticks are on sale at Sport Chek for $139.99 plus buy one get one 50% off.
Might have to take a look this weekend. Hoping they have 75 flex intermediates, those things are like unicorns...
Old 09-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #2837
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Easton sticks are all bogo too
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #2838

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Might have to take a look this weekend. Hoping they have 75 flex intermediates, those things are like unicorns...
I'm looking for that flex in a P92 Left in case anyone finds them.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #2839

Quote:
^ I think ASHL requires CSA face protection now.
Correct. Mandatory since last year IIRC
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #2840
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Just came back from Metro, They only had Kane and Ovechkin blade patterns in 87 and 100 flex.

I had to ask if they had any in the back for my Kane in 87 flex, which they had

Thanks again Skippi!
rsx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #2841
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Trip! an otny mask in the flesh.
I would like to check that out in person one day.

Anyway, lost my first high div co-ed game tonight. I was playing for the crease, and we went down 4-2. In the change room, the captain asked for the Jersey back and said that I did well, but he needed to talk to the team to see if I was going to stick around. A couple other players handed their jerseys in too, so I wasn't the only one. But still......

Honestly, I didn't take co-ed seriously for the first period. My buddy was telling me that these guys were good, abd we usually go up a couple goals then play around with the other team. The first period (2 x 25 mins running time) I took a handful of shots. I did well, but honestly, they were muffin shots.

Then the dudes started kicking in. I had 4 breakaways and stopped three. The 1st goal was a guy alone in the slot. I had the bottom covered, as a goalie should, until buddy alone, and in a mismatched jersey, roofs one over my new glove. Next goal was a 2 on 1. Buddy was about 6'6", and he tipped in a pretty shot placed on net. 3rd was a 2 on 1; and the fourth was a 3 on 1.

it would have been nice to win and given them no reason to question me. But what can you do.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #2842

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Trip! an otny mask in the flesh.
I would like to check that out in person one day.
I'll be at 8 rinks pretty much every weekend (ASHL WHL), so if you see the helmet walking around feel free to stop me. I'd be happy to chat about the mask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Anyway, lost my first high div co-ed game tonight. I was playing for the crease, and we went down 4-2. In the change room, the captain asked for the Jersey back and said that I did well, but he needed to talk to the team to see if I was going to stick around. A couple other players handed their jerseys in too, so I wasn't the only one. But still......

Honestly, I didn't take co-ed seriously for the first period. My buddy was telling me that these guys were good, abd we usually go up a couple goals then play around with the other team. The first period (2 x 25 mins running time) I took a handful of shots. I did well, but honestly, they were muffin shots.

Then the dudes started kicking in. I had 4 breakaways and stopped three. The 1st goal was a guy alone in the slot. I had the bottom covered, as a goalie should, until buddy alone, and in a mismatched jersey, roofs one over my new glove. Next goal was a 2 on 1. Buddy was about 6'6", and he tipped in a pretty shot placed on net. 3rd was a 2 on 1; and the fourth was a 3 on 1.

it would have been nice to win and given them no reason to question me. But what can you do.
That's garbage, but then again I've never been a part of a team like that who takes games super seriously. After that, I'm not sure I'd want to come back given you'll probably be questioned after every game.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #2843

Since I have nothing better to do, here's my "short" initial impressions review of the OTNY X1-PRO.

OTNY X1-PRO Goalie Mask Initial Impressions + Review

Or if you prefer GSBB (same info):
http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/e...=1442088394975

Last edited by m3thods; 09-12-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #2844

Quote:
That's garbage, but then again I've never been a part of a team like that who takes games super seriously. After that, I'm not sure I'd want to come back given you'll probably be questioned after every game.
Not trying to justify it, but you need to understand the mentality.
These guys are playing high div hockey, that means they played high level organized hockey growing up and has certain expectations of everyone around them.
It's like going into tryouts for rep hockey. You may have played with these kids all your life, but then it becomes a decision about who will help them win.

Heck, I've "tried out" for a mid level team before. Felt I was one of the best players and was told after the game that I wasn't the right fit for the team.

Every now and then I sub on a higher level team and all the ex JrB or Midget A guys always want to give advice on where they expect other guys to be.
Because they played high level hockey, they can't turn that part off.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #2845

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Not trying to justify it, but you need to understand the mentality.
These guys are playing high div hockey, that means they played high level organized hockey growing up and has certain expectations of everyone around them.
It's like going into tryouts for rep hockey. You may have played with these kids all your life, but then it becomes a decision about who will help them win.

Heck, I've "tried out" for a mid level team before. Felt I was one of the best players and was told after the game that I wasn't the right fit for the team.

Every now and then I sub on a higher level team and all the ex JrB or Midget A guys always want to give advice on where they expect other guys to be.
Because they played high level hockey, they can't turn that part off.
Oh no I get why they do it, and I don't think it's limited to higher-level hockey divisions. Perhaps I'm just too chill to see the need to do that to a fellow beer-leaguer. In the end, we're all just playing for some make-believe trophy from whatever arbitrary hockey league we happen to play for.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #2846

Quote:
Oh no I get why they do it, and I don't think it's limited to higher-level hockey divisions. Perhaps I'm just too chill to see the need to do that to a fellow beer-leaguer. In the end, we're all just playing for some make-believe trophy from whatever arbitrary hockey league we happen to play for.
Yeah, like I said. Some people just can't turn that part of their brains off.
You may have a chill personality, but others winning means everything. Even in beer league hockey.
That's why you still see guys trying to fight, high div, med div, low div.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #2847
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Picked up 4 of the NXG sticks with the BOGO deal.
First game, 2 points which is 1/3 of the points I got all of last winter season and this at stick and puck.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #2848

Quote:
My team has made many cuts. Probably had over 50 cuts to the team over the years.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #2849
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
Picked up 4 of the NXG sticks with the BOGO deal.
First game, 2 points which is 1/3 of the points I got all of last winter season and this at stick and puck.
looks like you missed the net by... a lot.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #2850

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
looks like you missed the net by... a lot.
That's what usually happens...Still working on it.