REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #2651
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Great gift for your son!
I had a few teammate use the v9 and all of them snapped it during the warranty period and got new ones but still ended up .breaking them again. I hear nothing but good reviews on easton but they all seem to not be durable
Advertisement
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #2652
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Did anyone hear about an Ice604 goalie that passed away this weekend after a collision that may have given him a concussion.
From what I heard, he went home and passed away in his sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #2653
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
That is horrible to hear. Brain injuries affect people differently, and we know so little about the brain so therapy and "fixing" the brain is a virtual unknown for the medical world.
Poor guy.

Something similar happened in HNA last year. The goalie for the Bulls died of a brain hemorrhage over the Xmas holidays. Mid 40's, and was a really nice dude. No one said it was caused by the game, but the game can be dangerous. I got concussed back in July when a mofo kicked me in the head while I was down making a save. I missed two days of work, and for two weeks I wasn't myself. Then I injured my back, which is another issue with head injuries.

Quote:
Athletes who had concussions had more than 3x great risk of muscle or ligament injury in the aftermath
My Notes On Concussion For Hockey Players? | Hockey Training Pro

Have a read if you're interested. There are some good pieces of info in the link.

My concussion symptoms probably continued after the back injury, but I was too messed up on painkillers and muscle relaxants to recognize. All said and done, I was out of the game for 10 weeks, and only now am I getting back to the strength I had prior to it all happening.

I lost 15 lbs from August to October, most of it muscle in my legs.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #2654
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Did anyone hear about an Ice604 goalie that passed away this weekend after a collision that may have given him a concussion.
From what I heard, he went home and passed away in his sleep.
What? I saw a post on HC about it, but didn't know it was in Ice604. Any details?

That's horrible news.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #2655
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Anyone know if anywhere accepts a brand new stick for another blade pattern?

I currently have a brand new ccm rbz 130 flex 75 p19 and i wanna swap it for a p46
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #2656
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

ATTN REVSCENE GOALIES

i need some help from some you guys that have switch over from leather straps to velcro
my current setup is reebok x24
what i am looking at now is either brians g-netik or warrior g2 pro classic
what are some pros and cons?

Last edited by nismosx; 01-15-2015 at 06:20 PM.
nismosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #2657

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismosx View Post
ATTN REVSCENE GOALIES

i need some help from some you guys that have switch over from leather straps to velcro
It would help if you told us what you prefer in a pad. What don't you like about the Reeboks? What do you wish you had on your Reeboks that is causing you to decide to switch? Is it simply just the velcro?

Both options are top-level Made-in-Canada pads so you really can't go wrong with either from a build-quality aspect. Simply judging by the pad you're coming from, the easiest to transition imo would be the Warrior. Similar hard-faced pad to the Reeboks, and less flexible than the GNetik for sure.

That said- are you looking to get away from a "butterfly-styled" pad like your outgoing Reeboks and into a more "hybrid-styled" flexible pad a la Vaughn/Bauer Reactor? If so, the Brian's would be better suited to that decision as they're more flexible than the Warriors from what I've seen/tried.

The best advice anyone on here can give you is to go in store and try both. Having tried on both of those pads on top of Vaughn and CCM when I was buying, I can tell you that they are fairly different in terms of feel, and will be different in terms of certain aspects of performance (like rebound control).
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #2658
they call me the snowman

Quote:
ATTN REVSCENE GOALIES

Go to the hockey shop and demo some pads. The only way you can know which is for you is to try them on the ice.

I have three sets of pads that I wear. My primary ice pad is a Vaughn V4. They're soft and conform to my legs. I use a bit of an old school style with these pads, standing up although the ground game is good with these. The Vaughns are my favorite pad by far to use.

I also wear the Brians Subzeros. They're rigid, and are basically landing platforms for my legs. They don't conform to my body and are made for a true blocking style. I love the use of the smart strap system, which saves me time in the room. Time that could be spent stretching, or bouncing a couple of tennis balls off the wall.

For roller, I use an old worn pair of Reebok 7000's, modified with slippery tape and rollerflys. They're a lot like the Vaughns in that they're super soft and really mold around the legs.

I wouldn't have known exactly what I wanted if I hadn't tried the different pads out. I started with really rigid pads, a set of 2008 Itechs then moved on to a set of rigid Reebok 9000's. The first time I tried a set of Vaughns I was shocked as to how good they felt. I came into this thinking I was a rigid pad guy, when I was really a soft pad guy. You just don't know until you try.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #2659

Are there any saturdays Stick & Puck anywhere?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #2660
retired

I love my Warrior Ritual G2's. Takes 2 seconds to get the pads on. I don't think I can ever go back to straps.

Like stated above, go to the hockey shop, and try on different pairs. I tried on the Gnetik 2's at the store, and wasn't too happy with them, however, hard to say, as I haven't used them on the ice.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #2661
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Just my 2cents, but I don't think I will ever make the switch to buckle or other alternative strapping option other then leather strapping. Maybe it's a mental thing, or aesthetic but any option other then leather straps sounds cheap and juvenile. Also on the made in Canada selling point, although made in Canada, I think majority of major brands are assembled overseas.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #2662

ive made my purchase of the brian's gnetik 5.0 and i love the pads but its not practical for me i found my self not hitting the landing pad unlike my reeboks...i love how my 5 hole coverage is better with the double break

i may have to play around with the strapping because the reeboks have a double elastic strap and while the brian's only a single
Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #2663
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Maybe it's a mental thing, or aesthetic but any option other then leather straps sounds cheap and juvenile.
I can understand where you're coming from. Goalies tend to like what they like, and if you were raised on leather straps it's a tough change. Being that I only started to take this seriously a few years ago, I'm not stuck on an type or brand. I tried them all out, and found that I love my Brians Subzero smart strap. I've even talked to the hockey shop about a custom strap that would allow me to go with that system on the Vaughn. They laughed and told me to buy some G-Netics

They're just so fast and easy to put on, once you go with the Smart strap, it's tough to go back. I may sound like a recording here, but hit up the hockey shop for a demo set of subzeros or Gnetics, and give it a try.

Just an addition to that, the boot strap is a good idea but it doesn't work with my Reebok skates. The cowling slots are too small and cause binding.

Quote:
Also on the made in Canada selling point, although made in Canada, I think majority of major brands are assembled overseas.
All CCM and Reebok are made offshore. Pro level Bauer gear is made in Canada, but the mid-low end is offshore. Pro level Vaughn and Brians are made in Canada, while they also make an offshore version. Passau and Boddam are made in Canada.

One of Brian's main shareholders is Mike Vaughn.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #2664

Quote:
ive made my purchase of the brian's gnetik 5.0 and i love the pads but its not practical for me i found my self not hitting the landing pad unlike my reeboks...i love how my 5 hole coverage is better with the double break

i may have to play around with the strapping because the reeboks have a double elastic strap and while the brian's only a single
Are you sure they're the right size? Or are you falling off the block with the pad shifting forward off of your leg? The latter will be a strapping issue fix. But if you're falling too high or too low, you have a sizing issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
All CCM and Reebok are made offshore. Pro level Bauer gear is made in Canada, but the mid-low end is offshore. Pro level Vaughn and Brians are made in Canada, while they also make an offshore version. Passau and Boddam are made in Canada.

One of Brian's main shareholders is Mike Vaughn.

I think the only thing you're missing there is pro Warrior, which is also made in Canada. Basically all pro pads except Reebok/CCM (unless you're a pro or playing major junior in Canada) are made domestically. Everything else is offshore.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:47 AM   #2665
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Just got the Koho Pro swiss knee pads. They ARE SWEETNESS!!!

Took a few shots already and NOTHING!
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 AM   #2666

BTW...I'm looking for stable weekly drop in or a team to play on. At least intermediate level and up. Preferably Richmond but I'll do 8 rinks and vancouver as well.

I left my usual Thursdays group and the team I backup on right now are sucking arse. More than half the team always has an excuse about losing due to lack of effort. IF anyone on here is looking, please give me a holler.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:55 AM   #2667

[QUOTE=m3thods;8585607]Are you sure they're the right size? Or are you falling off the block with the pad shifting forward off of your leg? The latter will be a strapping issue fix. But if you're falling too high or too low, you have a sizing issue.

sizing is good i wear pretty large knee guards its the vaughn double shield
ive picked up a leather strap and stronger velcro at hockey shop and its gotten better but i think ill just add another and it would just be perfect
people have been asking me why am i using leather strap on a brian's smart strap?
i just tell them personal preference
Old 01-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #2668
retired

Join my Friday night group!

11:30 PM at 8-rinks
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2015, 12:55 AM   #2669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
Join my Friday night group!

11:30 PM at 8-rinks
I'm down! Sendme details please!!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #2670
retired

Played my first game at Rogers Arena this past weekend! It was a blast! The ice... so different.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #2671

I was there once when it was still gm place. The ice ROCKS
Old 01-29-2015, 03:04 AM   #2672
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
I friggin love playing at Rogers Arena

Anyways... got the ice tonight for a bit.. shooting some one timers when.
Anyone got or know of apx2 goes on sale or cheap? Used is ok

Last edited by Tim Budong; 01-29-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:04 AM   #2673
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post

What flex and curve do you like?

I have an uncut L P92 77 flex that I am willing to sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #2674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post

Buy prostock, its cheaper but no warranty
Old 01-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #2675
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
or go to sports exchange and look for retail and pro stock... won't be "cheap" but will be cheaper... they have the one.9 in stock which is very similar to the one95.. if you liked that stick you will like the one.9. 150 with warranty.. 150 is about the max I will spend for sticks these days.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote