REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Exclamation New Clutch

hey im in the market for a new clutch for my 98 mustang gt. i dont plan on HUGE horse power from this car, so i dont need anything crazy. ive found a few options, but need some advice.

most of the options are just the clutch kit itself. they come with everything minus a flywheel. my question is what should i be looking for as far as performance wise. i dont want it so stiff its a pain to drive, but i dont want it like a limp noodle. 6 puck is more for race correct? and obviously id need to get my flywheel resurfaced.

also, one kit i was looking at comes with a flywheel. how much more benificial would getting a new flywheel be rather than resurfacing the stock one. also, would i have to surface the new flywheel aswell before i instal it?

give me some advice! thanks
Advertisement
raven69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

if your mods are pretty much just i/h/e then a stock one would almost be fine.. or you can go with any of the high performance stage 1 clutches from clutchmasters, centerforce...etc
and yes don't get a 6 puck it is not needed unless you run huge power and is like an on off switch...a normal full face sprung disc will be fine..easier to drive too
jack_dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I have an Exedy Stage I for a much lower HP track car. it is stiffer than the OEM clutch but it isn't a PIA to drive on the streets either.
apharmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Stock/OEM.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Stock/OEM.
he's looking for something that grabs better then stock but yet still drive able.

brown parents, "FIVE COWS?! HAVE YOU GONE COO KOO? five cows... noo to much... two cows."

Go WINGS GO 1997,1998,2002 & 2008

#2 #5 #13 #14 #16 #19 #30 #40 #91
Philly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
dustinb

I'm not familiar with the 98 Mustang, but do you know if it is a hydraulic or cable clutch? If hydraulic, the CenterForce dual friction will feel fine, and has way more grip. You can get them at any Lordco.

As far as the flywheel, a resurface should run you in the range of $50-$80. If you go with a lighter aftermarket flywheel, you're car will feel like its responding better, but whenever you put the clutch in, your revs will fall MUCH quicker, and you might not enjoy driving the car as much. Typically I would suggest staying with the stock flywheel on a bigger motor car like that.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

king kobra clultch - grabs better than stock is cheap and works great. and just get your flywheel resurfaced unless you can find a flywheel for a good price either way will work.
twixxer is offline   Reply With Quote