REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Finders keepers? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/566270-finders-keepers.html)

geeknerd 02-27-2009 09:27 AM

Finders keepers?

Am I allowed to sell items i have found on the ground?
So far in my life i have found
Cd player
MP3s (quite a few)
Nintendo DS
Cellphones <-- recently, I found a verizon phone on the ground.
Money

im sure there is more but yea

a lot of us has probably found one of this items before and taken it.

TBO, ive never returned items to lost and found at school (highschool), buildings, because i have lost a whole lot of shit myself and i never find them back, things include at least 3 phones, psp, money, an ipod, etc.

Lil Bastrd 02-27-2009 09:33 AM

If it is found somewhere where I can drop it off with a 'lost and found' then I would.
If it's just out on the street the impossibility of finding the owner pretty much means finders keepers.

miss_crayon 02-27-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 6303900)
Am I allowed to sell items i have found on the ground?
So far in my life i have found
Cd player
MP3s (quite a few)
Nintendo DS
Cellphones <-- recently, I found a verizon phone on the ground.
Money

im sure there is more but yea

a lot of us has probably found one of this items before and taken it.

TBO, ive never returned items to lost and found at school (highschool), buildings, because i have lost a whole lot of shit myself and i never find them back, things include at least 3 phones, psp, money, an ipod, etc.

if there's a lost and found available, use it. it's there for a reason. just because someone wasn't as kind to return your valuables doesn't mean you should follow suit. and no offense, but to lose 3 phones in your lifetime just comes off as being careless about your belongings.

if you find something, somewhere it's IMPOSSIBLE to ever find the original owner, then sure. finders keepers.

Grandmaster TSE 02-27-2009 11:12 AM

damn bro, how do you lose that much of your shit

return it if you can, karma bro

cdizzle_996 02-27-2009 11:13 AM

You've never found your shit, because some one else is doing the same to you. Karma is right.

twitchyzero 02-27-2009 11:22 AM

that's a stupid logic..

geeknerd 02-27-2009 11:41 AM

how can it be karma when, the reason i dont use lost and found is cuz no one was kind enough to return my stuff? maybe i am "enforcing" karma on the owners of the lost items, and being rewarded for my past lost items. ? Karma is BS.

and yes i am careless, but considering things i have found, it evens out.

anyways, so its legal to not return them, and sell it? like the cellphone, it doesnt have a # now, so am i allowed to sell it on ebay??? (its a cdma phone not GSM)

AsBannedAsItGets 02-27-2009 11:56 AM

losers weepers

Raid3n 02-27-2009 12:06 PM

that phone will never be usable on a cdma network once it is reported lost/stolen.

Wenis 02-27-2009 01:35 PM

wow... for something bad to happen to you, then you turn around and do it to someone else... its just pure selfishness.

Why not break the cycle and try to find some of those owners? It feels good to give a little.

underscore 03-01-2009 09:27 PM

uh if you find a phone, you start calling numbers. the first one to look for is "home," after that just go through the most recently called friends til someone can tell you whose phone you're calling from and how to give it back.

if the money is straight cash and there's noone nearby who it could obviously belong to, keep it if it's not a rediculous amount (found a $20 at the ski hill last week).

as far as long and founds, I use them if there's a reasonable chance of the owner getting it, otherwise I'll keep it (found a P&S camera in a snowbank on a pullout on the way back from the ski hill, on a Sunday, and all the settings were in french so I kept it as there's very little chance of finding the original owner)

there's also a site for posting photos from found cameras.

lastly, keep track of your shit man, I've never lost any of my MP3 players, my PSP, my cell or my laptop. actually I almost never lose things for very long (just misplaced around the house). try paying more attention.

orange7 03-01-2009 10:27 PM

this thread is going to end up in fight club...

Culture_Vulture 03-02-2009 03:49 AM

The most I've ever found was a $10 bill when I was watching the fireworks one year :lol, I pocketed that, simply because it was only $10 and probably won't be missed (not to mention trying to find needle in the haystack on the beach with five thousand people would be complete chaos).
But if I were to find, say a $50 bill, the chances of returning it to the rightful owner would be pretty slim since everybody would want to have a crack at it. I'd pocket that unless I could be sure there's a way to find the owner.

I've found cell phones before (thrice, actually),
It's tempting to pocket at times, but I'm a phone enthusiast myself, and it's not like I'm on cellphone welfare, so the best thing would be to return it or turn it into the security.
I just try to think about how fucked up I'd be if I lost my phone with all my private information in it, and think of how karma would kick my ass if I didn't at least attempt to find the owner.

I've never found any other pieces electronics before (at least, not in my recent memory), but I probably wouldn't keep those either--I'm not that big of a fan of mobile music players, and I'm not into mobile game systems anymore (DS, PSP, etc.)

hotjoint 03-02-2009 06:30 AM

Cell phone, I always look at recent calls and try to get their home # or one of their friends to answer

omega_cc 03-02-2009 10:36 AM

lost my wallet before, and somebody gave it to the police. i was so damn happy because it was my versace wallet...cost me a pretty penny, to say the least. and if you can, why not make the world a better place, rather than fucking someone you dont even know over? thats how i feel. but if you wanna be a dick about it, then by all means. theres always bound to be assholes in the world, and i guess you are one of the few. and if coming onto RS to try and vindicate your ways lets you sleep at night, then by all means, do what you gotta do.

murd0c 03-02-2009 10:42 AM

When I was 9yrs old I found a gold chain the the forest I took it to the police station and they held it for 3 months no one claimed it and I got it. Thats the right thing to do!!!

Enecsver 03-23-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 6304100)
how can it be karma when, the reason i dont use lost and found is cuz no one was kind enough to return my stuff? maybe i am "enforcing" karma on the owners of the lost items, and being rewarded for my past lost items. ? Karma is BS.

and yes i am careless, but considering things i have found, it evens out.

anyways, so its legal to not return them, and sell it? like the cellphone, it doesnt have a # now, so am i allowed to sell it on ebay??? (its a cdma phone not GSM)

Maybe no one returned your stuff because it was never found. Perhaps you should write your name on your possessions and let me know the name so that if I ever come across any of it in the future, I can make sure to throw it in the garbage.

omega_cc 03-23-2009 05:19 PM

^QFT

MarkyMark 03-23-2009 07:03 PM

Nice reasoning you got there...since no one ever returned your stuff it's ok to just keep everything you find yourself, monkey see monkey do?

pinoypixie86 03-23-2009 11:48 PM

god your name is so fitting geeknerd because only a total social reject would take other people's property and horde them for his own like a rat building a nest i mean really why would you do something like that and if someone loses something it means they weren't paying attention to it which means its probably some really tacky stuff so not only are you a huge jerk, a geek, and a nerd but you also have no taste.

pyro123 04-17-2009 01:52 AM

Wallets are the worst damn thing to lose.
Cellphones I would look for numbers to try and contact the person. BTW CDMA's do get logged once it's reported lost/stolen by the carrier that it was purchased from. If you get the phone unlocked, you can go to another carrier I believe and they won't have the same records.
Cash is finders keepers :D

JSALES 04-17-2009 02:23 AM

haha i remember i found two cell phones in one day, one was outside of macdonalds at metro and i just so happened to be at macdonalds again on renfrew and found another cell phone on the counter in the washroom. i returned them because there was a text saying if i were to return it there would be a reward which was cash i got so it ain't always karma when you don't return things

!Aznboi128 04-17-2009 07:56 AM

when I find something, 1 I'll try to get it to a lost and found, 2nd I'll post it on craigstlist and it worked last time a person lost his camera with a lot of family pictures in it they were so happy that I found it they gave me a hundred bucks

threezero 04-19-2009 05:04 AM

cash is pretty much finders keeper. if you are careless enough to just drop cash when walking around you are probably baller enough to not want it anyways.

everything else to go to nearest lost and found especially things like wallet with id and sentimental things that can't easily be replaced.

MelonBoy 04-20-2009 01:17 PM

cash = keepers

Cell phone - iv found one and phoned the person back

Random shit i see people drop i pick it up and give it back to them.