REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   D2 Racing Coilovers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/566677-d2-racing-coilovers.html)

G-spec 03-19-2009 06:17 PM

I can't speak for everyone else, but me personally... the reason I went with BC is because I just needed two things from my suspension, I needed it to be stiffer than stock, and I needed height adjust ability, that is all.

Obviously these coils are more than enough for my needs so I'm happy, and no I don't think they're the "best shit in the world cuz of spring rates"

to me blowing unnecessary money on coils when you'll never see a race course, is the same thing as buying track racing tires when all you do is drive in the city. Sure you'll have excellent performance but what's the point really ? unless you're a baller or plain old showoff.....

Draft after all these replies, what are you leaning towards ?? good set of shocks to go with your after market springs, or are you going to look for another set of coilovers ?

here's a widebody 350z on the track using D2 coilover setup, body roll and handling look pretty good to me

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyeTdWagri8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyeTdWagri8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SumAznGuy 03-19-2009 07:11 PM

So what are the specs on that 350Z with D2 coilovers?
Are they the OTS D2's or the "pro" race ones? Custom revavled compression/rebound? OTS spring rates or custom rates? What sway bars are they running?

Without knowing these things, that video really is meaningless. And a set of coil-overs are gonna look good on a race track where the surface is as smooth as glass. Put them on the roads where you have bumps, potholes, rocks, and debris and you will know what I mean.

As for what you said about running "race" coilovers on the streets, the most important part of it is how much suspension travel you have, how well the shocks are vavled, and of course spring rates.

Alphamale 03-19-2009 08:23 PM

^And of course, by OTS, he means "off the shelf".

Fyi, for the inquiring minds.

G-spec 03-19-2009 08:55 PM

SumAznGUy I don't have any answers for any of your questions, but I don't think the video is totally meaningless. It gives you at least some idea of what D2 coils are capable of, I thought posting it for the OP would be better than nothing.

I guess according to your infinite suspension wisdom it jus don't cut it ;)

oh well.... I tried

!Yaminashi 03-19-2009 10:21 PM

Adon: At this point I have chosen to just go with a set of lowering springs on my stock struts. I went with Tanabes with a very light drop. Ideally I'd like a strut + spring combo but nothing is available.

Maybe if there's an act of god and koni releases something I'll jump on those ASAP

sean_wong 03-20-2009 02:45 AM

Adon: Do you even know what the importance of body roll is? Shut up before you make yourself look like a bigger fool than you already are.

SumAznGuy 03-20-2009 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6338622)
SumAznGUy I don't have any answers for any of your questions, but I don't think the video is totally meaningless. It gives you at least some idea of what D2 coils are capable of, I thought posting it for the OP would be better than nothing.

I guess according to your infinite suspension wisdom it jus don't cut it ;)

oh well.... I tried

And you wondered why I said you spewed out garbage. If you took the time to read even one sentence of what I took the time to write, you'd realize you are a total ricer.

So the car has no body roll, was the car using stock sway bars or aftermarket sway bars? What spring rates is he running? These 2 items alone is enough to keep the body from rolling. Since the race track is as smooth as glass, it's hard to tell how well those shocks will work on regular city streets that are NOT as smooth as glass.

On a smooth race track, I can lower the car to the point the suspension is sitting on the bumpstop which will effectively give me infinate spring rate, it will give me zero body roll, but you would never do that on city streets.

This is basic common sense, not rocket science.

Mashimaro 03-20-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 6338789)
Ideally I'd like a strut + spring combo but nothing is available.

Maybe if there's an act of god and koni releases something I'll jump on those ASAP

Koni Yellow shocks have 3 height adjustable perches for your springs to sit on if you wanted to adjust height a bit.

a combo that works well and isn't too expensive is the H&R Sport/Race springs and Koni yellow shock.

i'd run that combo over any taiwanese coilover. :)

SumAznGuy 03-20-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashimaro (Post 6339288)
Koni Yellow shocks have 3 height adjustable perches for your springs to sit on if you wanted to adjust height a bit.

a combo that works well and isn't too expensive is the H&R Sport/Race springs and Koni yellow shock.

Not every koni shock has the 3 adjustable spring perches. The Koni yellow's on my S2000 on has 2.

The ones for my old Sentra, the fronts were inserts so you can shorten them to make them sit lower, but the rears were OE replacement style with welded spring perches that are NOT adjustable.

Mashimaro 03-20-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 6339316)
Not every koni shock has the 3 adjustable spring perches. The Koni yellow's on my S2000 on has 2.

The ones for my old Sentra, the fronts were inserts so you can shorten them to make them sit lower, but the rears were OE replacement style with welded spring perches that are NOT adjustable.

Good info dood...never owned a set of yellows myself :thumbsup:

G-spec 03-20-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 6339273)
you'd realize you are a total ricer.

final straw you arrogant fucking prick, I been telling you in all my posts that your answers are proper and you call me a ricer.
Take a look at my mod list below and a picture of my car and call me a fuckin ricer again you asshole... half my mods are jdm shit, so call me a jdm hoe if anything, but a ricer ? you bring a tear to my eye ya prick

you see any stickers? big wings ?? hood scoops ? I even molded my thousand dollar spoiler cuz that's how clean and anti rice I want my shit..

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1237569143

!Yaminashi 03-20-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Thats great info, but like I said there's nothing available...
To be honest this angers me..:mad:

Fuckin koni, they dont even respond to my emails, I've emailed them like 5 times

SumAznGuy 03-20-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 6339367)

Fuckin koni, they dont even respond to my emails, I've emailed them like 5 times

Problem is that to them, your car's market is small. There are other car's that have nothing availble to them as well. To R&D and get the valving right cost money, yet they might not sell enough to justify the cost.

Cars like Civics and Rustangs, well there are so many on the road and race tracks that it makes sense to make them for those cars. But like I said, if you *MUST* have them, I am pretty sure the 8610 inserts will work.

Mashimaro 03-20-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 6339367)

well, your car is pretty new at the momemt, perhaps they haven't made an app for it yet?

Are there any other coilover brands out there for your car yet?

SumAznGuy 03-20-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6339349)
all of my mods are shit

Corrected your post.
Damn ricer.

!Yaminashi 03-20-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 6339383)
Problem is that to them, your car's market is small. There are other car's that have nothing availble to them as well. To R&D and get the valving right cost money, yet they might not sell enough to justify the cost.

Cars like Civics and Rustangs, well there are so many on the road and race tracks that it makes sense to make them for those cars. But like I said, if you *MUST* have them, I am pretty sure the 8610 inserts will work.

Well I just mean all the other cars in my car's price range (civics, mazda 3, GTI etc) all have something available from koni. Besides the mazdaspeed3 and Si, I honestly cant see tons of 2.3L mazda 3's and civic EX's at the track.

I dont see too many of the new SE-R's or spec-v's around, but there are TONS of 2.0S and SL's on the road

The least they could do is email me back and tell me that there are no plans at the moment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashimaro (Post 6339384)
well, your car is pretty new at the momemt, perhaps they haven't made an app for it yet?

Are there any other coilover brands out there for your car yet?

I'm hoping thats the only reason nothing from Koni is available.. There are coilover brands, but they're from Megan and ksport. I'd rather not go with those

Mashimaro 03-20-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 6339400)

I'm hoping thats the only reason nothing from Koni is available.. There are coilover brands, but they're from Megan and ksport. I'd rather not go with those

good call, i'd probably stay away from those as well.

Does Nismo have anything for your car? it'll probably be only a 1" drop at max with stiffer springs/valving, but it's tough to beat OEM quality...

!Yaminashi 03-20-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashimaro (Post 6339401)
good call, i'd probably stay away from those as well.

Does Nismo have anything for your car? it'll probably be only a 1" drop at max with stiffer springs/valving, but it's tough to beat OEM quality...

As far as I know, Nismo completely abandoned the sentras. I guess like all other companies, they're focusing on the 350z, GTR etc
If you ask me, its pretty sad when your own company abandons you

Mashimaro 03-20-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 6339412)
As far as I know, Nismo completely abandoned the sentras. I guess like all other companies, they're focusing on the 350z, GTR etc
If you ask me, its pretty sad when your own company abandons you

well, no offense to you, but it's not like the Sentra SE-R is a popular choice out there. I'm sure Nissan sees the lack of sales and doesn't want to put the R&D and/or marketing into making parts for it.

that sucks dood...i'm sure something will come out eventually...or perhaps some research to see if other parts will fit your car (ie: maybe Altima suspension is the same?)

!Yaminashi 03-20-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashimaro (Post 6339420)
well, no offense to you, but it's not like the Sentra SE-R is a popular choice out there. I'm sure Nissan sees the lack of sales and doesn't want to put the R&D and/or marketing into making parts for it.

that sucks dood...i'm sure something will come out eventually...or perhaps some research to see if other parts will fit your car (ie: maybe Altima suspension is the same?)

Yeah, although it is nice to have a car that isnt seen everywhere you look, its the price you pay :(

G-spec 03-20-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 6339389)
Corrected your post.
Damn ricer.

head over to members journal section go in my thread and find 1 person to agree with you that all my mods are shit and that I'm a ricer and I"ll personally hand you a grand in cash at the spring meet on sunday

Mashimaro 03-20-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6339445)
head over to members journal section go in my thread and find 1 person to agree with you that all my mods are shit and that I'm a ricer and I"ll personally hand you a grand in cash at the spring meet on sunday

sumaznguy - if i agree with you that his car is rice, you wanna split the money? :haha:

seriously though Adon, who cares what people think of your car. it's just Revscene. don't let it get to you dood. :)

!Yaminashi 03-20-2009 10:59 AM

^to add to that, I'd hate to see this thread head into fight club.
I'd like to be able to look back on this thread in the event something does come out

There's some good info here, I think

SumAznGuy 03-20-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6339445)

Awwww, did I hurt your feelings? Do you need me to stroke your ego and make you feel better.

Yes, all your JDM mods are the Shiet!!!! You car is so Hawwwttt!!! *drool*

Can't refrain from flapping to the picture of your car... :fappery:

Alphamale 03-20-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

I was pricing this set up brand new and it runs over or close a grand MRSP (IIRC). So no, it isn't exactly cheap, hahah. It's certainly running into C/O area but cheap C/Os at that.