REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Yahoo.com headline; Mexican crackdown on cartels causes violence in (Vancouver)Canada

Headline story on yahoo.com....nice way to introduce yourself has the host city of the Olympics....

Quote:
VANCOUVER, British Columbia – A Mexican crackdown on drug cartels has led to increased violence in this Olympic city as rival gangs battle over a dwindling supply of cocaine reaching Canada, police said Thursday.

Several shooting since January, some fatal, are likely linked to a drug turf war, according to police.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Supt. Pat Fogarty said Vancouver gangs are fighting over a decrease in smuggled shipments of illegal drugs.

"What we have is a cut in supply," he said, adding the gangs are "quick to go to the gun."

On Tuesday, five people were hospitalized after street gunfights and three more shootings occurred overnight Wednesday. Police call the violence "targeted" but still haven't determined if they're gang-related.

Police said a 32-year-old man found shot to death this week was the victim of a gang-style shooting, while a gang associate was wounded in a separate attack.

Fogarty said his task force has made some arrests in recent days, including a gang leader and three associates.

He said recent violence in Vancouver is "directly related to this Mexican war." The government of Mexican President Felipe Calderon has mobilized 45,000 soldiers and 5,000 federal police to try to curb cartel activity.

U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration acting administrator Michele Leonhart said last month that the Mexican crackdown has seriously impacted Canadian drug gangs.

With Vancouver preparing for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, Canadian Minister of Public Safety Peter Van Loan has dubbed the city the gang capital.

But Prime Minister Stephen Harper said the increasing violence should not worry people planning to attend the games. Officials say a total of 15,000 police officers, private security and military personnel will be providing security for the games.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
When you quote things, can you post the link from the source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
read first line....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
I agree. Sure, it says it's from Yahoo, but help us out by posting a direct link to the source.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

This is gonna hurt our economy.
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

have there been any innocent victims yet? I cant seem to remember hearing about any... sure its scary there are shootings but atleast they are getting the right people..
Ax2-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090306/...ancouver_drugs
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
the only real solution to the problem is legalizing it. You just have to let them have it, and tax the shit out of them.

So that smuggled version is worth almost nothing....then it's not worth dying for.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
the only real solution to the problem is legalizing it. You just have to let them have it, and tax the shit out of them.

So that smuggled version is worth almost nothing....then it's not worth dying for.
Wrong. Legalizing it will only bring other problems.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

I actually like it when drug dealers kill each other.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post

Basic logic > hk20000

Look at cigarettes. By taxing the shit out of it, you create a black market for drugs. You don't believe me, look at illegal tax-free from the reserve cigarettes.

Also, like a cigarettes, there will be liability issues when the government legalizes cigarettes.

Lastly, how do you think our neighbours to the south will react if we legalized the drugs? The US is our biggest trade partner.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
I actually like it when drug dealers kill each other.
me too
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
oh yeah that was a brain fart.

coz coming up North means it has to travel through US of A. But then it is travelling through US of A regardless if we legalize it or not....Politics I know haha.

Other than that I don't see a problem, legalize it and you have a black market for tax free version but you don't see Indians shoot each other up for tax free cigs. All I'm really concerned is that I don't get shot up in the face when I'm just walking down the street. Drug addicts should die from OD. Non drug addicts shouldn't have to worry about getting shot in the face. The rest of the system can go to hell. Legalizing it = give government some degree of control over supply and demand, which on something not so desirable but addictive is a good thing.

OD wouldn't happen if there's dosage/QC control over what is imported though, at least less of those "hybrid" or fucked up stuff...If you think of it that way.....I mean if you can buy heroin/weed at local 7-11, majority of the addicts wouldn't risk it buying from illegal dealers given the effect is to the same one way or another. Existing illegal dealers either get weeded out from lack of business or they step it up and open a legal drug import firm and all those struggles can be sorted out using corporate laws instead of bullets. And we know you can't shoot bystanders in the head with corporate laws.

It sort of make sense in theory, this is Vansterdam afterall.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi

Last edited by hk20000; 03-07-2009 at 08:02 AM.
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

I agree. Legalize it. Anything that causes self harm only should be legalized IMO.
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax2-Y View Post
have there been any innocent victims yet? I cant seem to remember hearing about any... sure its scary there are shootings but atleast they are getting the right people..
didnt some guy that was an car audio install tech take a car out for a test drive after an install and get gunned down b/c the car belonged to a gang member and ppl thought the gang member was driving it?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Basic logic > hk20000

Lastly, how do you think our neighbours to the south will react if we legalized the drugs? The US is our biggest trade partner.
word on that one.....

US aint gonna be to happy.... especially with all their shady manipulations down in south america for the sake of a drug free america
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,550 Times in 845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
didnt some guy that was an car audio install tech take a car out for a test drive after an install and get gunned down b/c the car belonged to a gang member and ppl thought the gang member was driving it?
that would fucking suck ROFL
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adog View Post
word on that one.....

US aint gonna be to happy.... especially with all their shady manipulations down in south america for the sake of a drug free america
very true, and there'd still be gangsters here, but they're just taking it down to the states to sell it instead. They might also fight over supply lines here if we legalized it.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

This is basically what I said in an different thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by idga-f View Post
Supply / demand..

2 years ago cocaine came into BC really easy because of a couple key figures. Those guys got busted. Now everyone is scratching their heads looking for ppl who have kgs. Little supply means obviously the price goes up. It costs double now. The ppl at the top are making half as much as they used to. Not to mention the increase in competition has fueled lower prices on the street, making it even worse for them. All these variables means that the only alternative to getting more money (the money they used to make) means eliminating a lot of your competition.. especially the smaller guys who jumped in when everything was cheap. In the real business world a corp might merge or buyout a competing business. But in this world, it means killing them.

This solution is ultimately one of their last resorts. I am pretty sure that nobody really wants to kill others but when you start losing a lot of money you aren't given much choice. IMO, the only way these shootings will stop is if we get more cocaine into our country so we can drive the price back down to what it was 2 years ago. Because 2 years ago ppl were happy. Competition existed but everyone made a lot of money so nobody was really getting squeezed. With the recent halt in imports and increase in smaller phones coming up, this was only bound to happen.

My solution prob sounds dumb to everyone but it's just what I think. I think that the more importers get busted, the more stress it brings to everyone else and it will increase violence. You have to understand that there will always be a market for this. And there is ALWAYS going to be NEW ppl emerging. New importers, new drivers, new middle guys. It's just a cycle.

The truth is, the police will never be able to stop the supply of drugs into this country. There are just too many other ppl out there wanting to bring it in. Their efforts [law enforcement] as of late have been incredible for the communities. It has raised prices which in turn has increased violence by a tonne in your neighborhoods. They think that oh taking 10 kg's off the street will somehow impact us? It only does in a negative way.

Everything I said in this post is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
edit: if you think bringing in more drugs into this country will somehow negatively affect us, IMO, I think you are wrong. There is a certain population in this world that does crack/coke. Let's just say its 5% for argument sake. If you think that having less of this drug will effect the 5%, you are wrong. Those ppl will get this regardless if there is a 100kg seizure at the border. Because that is really nothing more than a little door ding on the situation. Having more means the price just gets cheaper. It does not mean that the 5% will increase to 10%.

edit again:

cheaper price brings less stress, less violence
expensive price brings more stress, more violence.

Last edited by bossxx; 03-07-2009 at 11:33 AM.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Legalizing it will never happen in our lifetimes. Let's be realistic.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
the tech's gf too. The gunmen thought he was a bacon brother because the tech was driving the bacon car.
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by idga-f View Post
Legalizing it will never happen in our lifetimes. Let's be realistic.

Are you THAT against progress?
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Why should we restrict what people are allowed to put into their bodies?

People should be educated on drugs and allowed to do what they want. Use the tax revenue from it to treat those addicted and fund educational programs.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
said this in a thread a couple of weeks ago. Causes price of goods to go up here, less of it too.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post
the tech's gf too. The gunmen thought he was a bacon brother because the tech was driving the bacon car.
And then there was the 2 innocent bystanders that were killed along side the 4 UN members in that apartment in Surrey last year.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing