REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Firearms License Question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/567070-firearms-license-question.html)

yamahar6 03-06-2009 03:24 AM

Firearms License Question

Hey guys im thinking about getting my firearms certificate just so I can go to the range and shoot here n there. Just a few questions I have, if anyone can help me out:

1) What do you have to do to transport the firearm?
2) How many are you allowed to own?
3) Is it true that officers can come into your house any time of the day to see if the firearm is stored safely?
4) Does that give them the right to walk around your house?
5) Is there a certain kind of safe I have to buy?

Thanks in advance guys!:thumbsup:

ninjatune 03-06-2009 07:09 AM

Taking a course will answer all these questions, so that may help. If you're planning to challenge the test you probably won't do too well. There are strict regulations reguarding transport and storage, which vary from firearm-firearm etc.

Take a course, there's one located in Surrey (www.stelguns.com) and it's fun.

johny 03-06-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamahar6 (Post 6315404)
Hey guys im thinking about getting my firearms certificate just so I can go to the range and shoot here n there. Just a few questions I have, if anyone can help me out:

1) What do you have to do to transport the firearm?
2) How many are you allowed to own?
3) Is it true that officers can come into your house any time of the day to see if the firearm is stored safely?
4) Does that give them the right to walk around your house?
5) Is there a certain kind of safe I have to buy?

Thanks in advance guys!:thumbsup:

1. depends on type. generally rifles / shot gun only need to be unloaded. legally it can be on your lap with bullets in your hand... handguns need to be douple locked (trigger and locked case) and you need transport paper work.

2. no limit. some people own thousands.

3. if you own more then 10, or one prohibited firearm. a firearms officer (not a police officer) can call you and set up a day to check. at which point you can tell them to screw off and go get a warrant, making this section pointless.

4 only if you let them, or they have a warrent.

5 no

yamahar6 03-06-2009 04:52 PM

thanks for all the info guys!!

ninjatune 03-06-2009 10:45 PM

I would most definately NOT go driving around with any firearm anywhere near your lap, or even ammunition unsecured anywhere near the firearm in the vehicle.

Criminal Code of Canada, Sec 86:

86. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.

It's so easy to get into trouble fast when doing anything that involves firearms, be careful...

socialenemy69 03-07-2009 12:17 AM

^^^ True, especially with all the gun violence around you dont want to be driving around with guns/rifles in plain view.

simsimi1004 03-07-2009 06:34 PM

where can i get the material needed to challenge CFSC so i can self-teach

socialenemy69 03-07-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsimi1004 (Post 6317839)

you can start by watching some of the videos at the bottom of this page:
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/safety-sur...se_video_e.asp

TekDragon 03-08-2009 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsimi1004 (Post 6317839)

Any gun store (ie silvercore) will have the material available.

http://www.silvercore.ca/courses.htm

ddr 02-28-2012 07:19 AM

I want to acquire a firearms license for the purposes of employment. Any suggestions for places in Richmond or Vancouver? My gf took it at the Croatian Cultural Centre with her coworkers. I found the Executive Firearms Training in Richmond.

Is it common to challenge the exam? I don't mind paying for and taking the course if that's better.

TekDragon 02-28-2012 08:57 AM

I challenged it, but I've grown up around guns. If you are confident that you'll pass, go ahead and challenge it. The course is supposed to be quite good, gives you a little hands on with handling the guns. Loading and unloading, making sure you can tell it's unloaded, etc.

originalhypa 02-28-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr (Post 7812571)
Is it common to challenge the exam? I don't mind paying for and taking the course if that's better.

You're best off taking the course. Like tekdragon, I was raised around guns and taught some very good habits. I still learned quite a few things at the course though. From the many sizes and history of bullets, to the proper inspection of the barrel, the course filled in the gaps.

Imho, Kent is one of the best instructors around. He taught me my CORE back when I was a kid, and 20+ years later he taught me my long gun and handgun programs.

Firearm Safety Training Vancouver, Langley, Surrey

Gh0stRider 02-28-2012 10:15 AM

im going to executive firearms training next month
Posted via RS Mobile

ddr 02-28-2012 10:41 AM

i'm just deciding where to go now, on the weekend on mar. 10-11
silvercore delta, executive etc.

pb.kidz 02-28-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr (Post 7812707)
i'm just deciding where to go now, on the weekend on mar. 10-11
silvercore delta, executive etc.

I'll see ya there, just signed up for March 10/11 weekend course. At silver core delta because I heard they were really good.

Gh0stRider 02-28-2012 01:21 PM

im going april 7/8

pb.kidz 02-28-2012 01:41 PM

move it to march 10/11 haha we'll have rev scene night

Gh0stRider 02-29-2012 05:08 AM

Sorry I can't. My work union is paying for my course.:)

ddr 03-01-2012 05:29 PM

silvercore just called me back to say they were all full after i paid and reg'd online =.= guess it'll have to be executive

stereo12 03-03-2012 10:51 AM

I , along with about 10 other friends and acquaintances did the restricted, and non-restricted course at Silvercore.

Was a pretty awesome course. They even have their own gun club, which you can register to become to go to shooting ranges and such.

Gh0stRider 04-07-2012 05:04 PM

doing my non restricted today and restricted tomorrow

pb.kidz 06-19-2012 01:05 PM

so did everyone get their pal?

6793026 06-19-2012 03:24 PM

i'm plannig ot get it. i need to find a place in Richmond to do it. I want to be able to shoot 12 guage shotguns. i've been shooting at mission for 6 mths just i don't have my Pal yet. what's a good place close to Richmond that's good?

vafanculo 01-03-2013 07:53 PM

Bump!

Interested too. If I got it down, you take your PAL and that gives you the license to have unrestricted and restricted (correct me if I'm wrong) guns?

If you pass the PAL, then you do a background clearance with the RCMP? I remember when my friend got his, I got a call from an officer as he put me down as his reference.

Am I missing anything else?
Posted via RS Mobile

aznkev03 01-03-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 8122603)
Bump!

Interested too. If I got it down, you take your PAL and that gives you the license to have unrestricted and restricted (correct me if I'm wrong) guns?

If you pass the PAL, then you do a background clearance with the RCMP? I remember when my friend got his, I got a call from an officer as he put me down as his reference.

Am I missing anything else?
Posted via RS Mobile

You need to pass two separate exams in order to obtain your PAL and RPAL (unrestricted and restricted), however, most courses will include both

After you pass the tests, your instructor basically gives you kinda like a report card of your results to include into your application to mail in. After a mandatory wait period, your references will probably be contacted. There will definitely be a criminal background check. IIRC you cannot have had any history involving violence or drugs
Posted via RS Mobile