REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_test View Post
holy crap man. how much do you bench press?

I bench 2 plates each side in the 8-10 rep range without a spotter. For dumbells, i do 85's.
Hmm no idea. I've never really done a proper chest workout via bench press using the barbell.
Advertisement
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
^ Lol...
Obviously you don't under stand how the body works. If you put the body under more load, it goes under greater stresses and greater adaptations. Greater stress and greater adaptation means more strength and more mass.

In other words, it's easier to put 300 lbs on a barbell than it is to find two 150+lb dumbells; not to mention that 150lbs dumbells are ungainly and awkward to hold.

Additionally, to answer a previous post, being able to bench press 100lb dumbells doesn't necessarily mean that they will be able to out bench someone who benches using a barbell. I can do 100lb dbs bench presses for reps but only 225 lb on the barbell bench press.
kAzE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #28
I don't get it

When doing my last set on barbell bench, My right chest tends to be alot more weaker, must be cause i'm left handed lol. But Since doing dumbell bench, The my right side is slowly catching up with my left.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicyvr View Post
Barbell better for mass and strength.

Dumbells better for stabilizers, ROM, and core.

GL
something like that.

but it never hurts to do both. i used to switch it up every week
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

barbell for size
tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #31
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kAzE- View Post
Obviously you don't under stand how the body works. If you put the body under more load, it goes under greater stresses and greater adaptations. Greater stress and greater adaptation means more strength and more mass.

In other words, it's easier to put 300 lbs on a barbell than it is to find two 150+lb dumbells; not to mention that 150lbs dumbells are ungainly and awkward to hold.

Additionally, to answer a previous post, being able to bench press 100lb dumbells doesn't necessarily mean that they will be able to out bench someone who benches using a barbell. I can do 100lb dbs bench presses for reps but only 225 lb on the barbell bench press.
ya i use to be able to do 100's but not i stick to the bar more, i find it really triggers my left shoulder doing dunbells so i drop down to like 75-80ish now.
helps on the shoulder, just like dunbell shoulder press i always do the bar now on the squat rack with the seat
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #32
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I do dumbells on the flat bench and I do incline with a bar. I get a weird tweak in my shoulder when I do flat bench with a barbell. I too am at the 100lb mark with db's but really have no idea what I can do with a barbell currently lol.

Berz out.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Lots of buff dudes on RS. More so than I thought lol.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #34
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I do dumbells on the flat bench and I do incline with a bar. I get a weird tweak in my shoulder when I do flat bench with a barbell. I too am at the 100lb mark with db's but really have no idea what I can do with a barbell currently lol.

Berz out.
what do you do on incline bar if you don't mind me asking ? i find i cant do as much on flat which is normal. do u ever do decline bar i like doing that sometimes
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #35
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Yesterday I started 2 warm up sets of 40's doing 15 reps. Then with flat bench DB first set of 12@80 2nd set of 10@85 3rd set 8@90 4th set 8@ 100 (maxed) then dropped down to 80's right after and repped those out.

I was inclining 1 set 45/25(each side) 2nd 45/25/10 3rd and 4th 45/10 all were sets of 6-8 on the squat rack (smith machine?)

Then decline after that I was doing 45/35 for 4 sets repping out each set.

I finished with dips. Hmm I forgot to do fly's lol.

I was also doing Triceps in between chest sets during my rest phase for chest.

Berz out.

Last edited by Berzerker; 04-02-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #36
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

they are both going to build mass equally so long as you are able perform the exercise properly. the particular exercise being performed and the number of repetitions, sets, weight and form play a much bigger factor.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:43 AM   #37
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

just do both! if your working out alone i would go with the dumbell if you have a spot i would go with the barbell, but i would do both. set of flat barbell then flat free. feel the burn
Rebbie is offline   Reply With Quote