REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #26
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Amaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,282
Thanked 600 Times in 121 Posts
Wow. This thread really turned out much better than I had expected. For some reason, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who finds Island drivers to be among the world's worst. You guys have some brutal stories.

Today's fun experience: Cruising Beach Drive at a shocking 25km/hr. When I go to pass, I get honked at and fingered as if everyone should be doing 25 and to go faster is a sin.
Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
slammer111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,627
Thanked 273 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synkt View Post
Don't signal left on a roundabout, cant go left. end of story.
Wrong. When turning left at an intersection where there's a roundabout, you signal LEFT as you enter the round (going arount it to the RIGHT of course), and signal RIGHT as you leave.

Check your Safe Driving guide.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #28
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Synkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Courtenay
Posts: 35
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
Wrong. When turning left at an intersection where there's a roundabout, you signal LEFT as you enter the round (going arount it to the RIGHT of course), and signal RIGHT as you leave.

Check your Safe Driving guide.
please read it again, I have accentuated the key word of the sentence for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synkt
Don't signal left on a roundabout, cant go left. end of story.
Synkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
ness_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VI
Posts: 1,054
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, the island sucks. You should probably move.
ness_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #30
Banned (BBM)
 
Fleemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria
Posts: 668
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness_71 View Post
Ya, the island sucks. You should probably move.
we should all move :P
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #31
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Amaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,282
Thanked 600 Times in 121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness_71 View Post
Ya, the island sucks. You should probably move.
Nobody said they didn't love living here, but no place is perfect, and horrible driving seems to be the Island's achilles heel.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #32
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
Black SC2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Langvista
Posts: 7,936
Thanked 73 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
Nobody said they didn't love living here, but no place is perfect, and horrible driving seems to be the Island's achilles heel.
At least no one is shooting it out on the mean streets of Parksville!



Too soon?
Black SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #33
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Benny95TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hicktoria
Posts: 3,259
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost have an aneurysm every time I drive down Shelbourne. Why does everyone drive 40km/h down a major 4 lane road?!
__________________
1995 Pontiac Trans Am - LT1, A4, Polo Green, T-tops.
2010 Ford Ranger - stock, and will stay that way.
Benny95TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #34
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
oldskoolz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Victoria
Posts: 925
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny95TA View Post
I almost have an aneurysm every time I drive down Shelbourne. Why does everyone drive 40km/h down a major 4 lane road?!
...and find it necessary to drift into your lane, almost forcing you into on coming traffic
__________________
1990 Z24 - DSP bottom feeder
1994 Golf GL - "her" car

Victoria Motor Sports Club - President
oldskoolz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
slammer111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,627
Thanked 273 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synkt View Post
please read it again, I have accentuated the key word of the sentence for you.
Where?

They should have cops enforcing the "Keep Right except to Pass" law instead of catching speeders. Even if the fines were way lower (say $25), they'd meet their quotas a whole lot faster too
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #36
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,500
Thanked 2,593 Times in 845 Posts
At the intersection of Bay & Tyee, the big right arrow on the right hand lane when travelling westbound on bay street means that lane is a RIGHT TURN ONLY lane. This means that if someone is turning left onto tyee from bay, you do not use the right lane to go around them to proceed through the intersection.

Police could have a field day with tickets at this intersection.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
ness_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VI
Posts: 1,054
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If everyone is driving like a granny in the fast lane, how come everyone is tailgating me? Even in the slow lane AND at stop lights.
Something people don't consider is that no one else has control over the one person like 30 cars ahead that's holding up everyone. It only takes one person to render the whole "passing lane" idea useless.

I don't know which I hate more, bikes or trucks/suvs/vans.
ness_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #38
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,607
Thanked 524 Times in 147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Darling View Post
Yeah the drive between Nanaimo and Victoria will show many drivers who fall under your second example.


They are either oblivious to whats going on around them, and don't know any better about sitting in the left lane, or like you say, they are intent on stopping traffic flow.


If that happened in Washington, they would likely be run off the road lol. Everyone down there knows what it means to get flashed while your in the passing lane. And they are very quick to move over.
Not just Washington too; I think its all over the USA. I drove in San Fran and its the same deal. Road manners are very respected.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #39
Banned (BBM)
 
Fleemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria
Posts: 668
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
You think dirivng culture is bad. Its nothing until you ride a motorcycle in town.

Everyday I ride, I get at least 1-3 close calls. I remember one time I had to kick a car door on the highway because he was merging into me. Yay victoria.

Or one time some tool in a talon though it'd be cool to cut me off 6" from my front tire when i was going 110. Yup.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #40
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,500
Thanked 2,593 Times in 845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleemer View Post
You think dirivng culture is bad. Its nothing until you ride a motorcycle in town.

Everyday I ride, I get at least 1-3 close calls. I remember one time I had to kick a car door on the highway because he was merging into me. Yay victoria.
Last sunday I almost became one with the center median on the section of highway just south of Mill Bay because a stupid woman in a minivan didn't shoulder check.

I thought she hit me, I swerved and my mirror was literally an inch from hitting the median, I was just waiting for the "thud" on my passenger's side.

The funny thing is that afterwards she fingered ME. Dumb bitch.

I swear, ever since I got this new car the world has been out to get me.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #41
Banned (BBM)
 
Fleemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria
Posts: 668
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
The funny thing is that afterwards she fingered ME. Dumb bitch.
oh yes.... i've had that happen many times when stuff someone does is their fault, but somehow is mine because i was there. I guess it was their lane all along and i'm not supposed to be there ? :P
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #42
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Benny95TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hicktoria
Posts: 3,259
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Screw that... I will continue to go around who ever is turning left there. That intersection sees a fair amount of traffic... I am not waiting for everyone wanting to turn left.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
At the intersection of Bay & Tyee, the big right arrow on the right hand lane when travelling westbound on bay street means that lane is a RIGHT TURN ONLY lane. This means that if someone is turning left onto tyee from bay, you do not use the right lane to go around them to proceed through the intersection.

Police could have a field day with tickets at this intersection.
__________________
1995 Pontiac Trans Am - LT1, A4, Polo Green, T-tops.
2010 Ford Ranger - stock, and will stay that way.
Benny95TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #43
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,500
Thanked 2,593 Times in 845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny95TA View Post
Screw that... I will continue to go around who ever is turning left there. That intersection sees a fair amount of traffic... I am not waiting for everyone wanting to turn left.
As long as you realise that people turning left from the other direction (onto skinner) have the right of way (Like a woman last week didn't realise when I was turning left there), otherwise I hope you get plowed into by someone turning left onto skinner and ICBC finds you 100% at fault.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 04-09-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #44
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Semper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vic
Posts: 100
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pet peave all the island horrid drivers aside , is the city who encourages this kind of crap driving with horrid traffic planning. Look at that corner alone .. Bay and Tyee. Hey lets build a strip mall + Condos, offices + how much more development, but not do anything to accommodate the extra traffic.
I think its funny about enforcement there, because 4 time in the last month, I have seen IRSU on the opposite side of the bridge harassing people for all sorts of crap, (hauling stuff with tailgate open, tail lights being out, etc).

Not to mention all the stupid fort st style lets just get rid of a lane ... lets make everyone go 40 in a 50 zone because we eliminate the extra lane you used to be able to pass these idiots in.

My new biggest hate comes at my school parking lot. Lansdowne Camosun, by the parking lot on foul bay. They (Oak Bay/Sannich) have built an traffic island right by the bus stop where it is single lane, you used to be able to pass the bus (beside was a really long turn lane into parking lot) but now with this idea lets block all traffic on a single lane road with an island right at a bus stop that unloads 30+ students that then cross the crosswalk directly behind the bus. Adding twice the time it takes to unload to begin with . I am not joking when I say its taken me 4 minutes (it used to take me 20 seconds previously) with a snake all the way to the intersection, because a bus had stopped and unloaded..

You would think that with all this global warming, that city/municipality would want to stream line traffic and lessen people time driving in cars, Not increase it.
Semper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #45
Banned (BBM)
 
Fleemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria
Posts: 668
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper View Post
My pet peave all the island horrid drivers aside , is the city who encourages this kind of crap driving with horrid traffic planning. Look at that corner alone .. Bay and Tyee. Hey lets build a strip mall + Condos, offices + how much more development, but not do anything to accommodate the extra traffic.
I think its funny about enforcement there, because 4 time in the last month, I have seen IRSU on the opposite side of the bridge harassing people for all sorts of crap, (hauling stuff with tailgate open, tail lights being out, etc).

Not to mention all the stupid fort st style lets just get rid of a lane ... lets make everyone go 40 in a 50 zone because we eliminate the extra lane you used to be able to pass these idiots in.

My new biggest hate comes at my school parking lot. Lansdowne Camosun, by the parking lot on foul bay. They (Oak Bay/Sannich) have built an traffic island right by the bus stop where it is single lane, you used to be able to pass the bus (beside was a really long turn lane into parking lot) but now with this idea lets block all traffic on a single lane road with an island right at a bus stop that unloads 30+ students that then cross the crosswalk directly behind the bus. Adding twice the time it takes to unload to begin with . I am not joking when I say its taken me 4 minutes (it used to take me 20 seconds previously) with a snake all the way to the intersection, because a bus had stopped and unloaded..

You would think that with all this global warming, that city/municipality would want to stream line traffic and lessen people time driving in cars, Not increase it.
The point your trying to make is true and sad. They where so busy tying to build build build, sell sell sell that they didn't develop ANY infrastructure to support ANYTHING. I mean, the only thing that they are thinking ahead for is the bear montain overpass at spencer road. Thank god. Could you imagine how much more traffic there would be? What sucks is I like 5min away from that intersection and I have to go down that road to get home. They havn't finished the langford parkway out that way so I can't go that way yet. So I wait in all the traffic, makes my 5min commute into a 25min one. Because people needs to merge at the last minute, or get a few cars ahead of the other because somehow, those few extra seconds, will get them home faster. little do they know, the horrible merging just causes traffic to back up to millstream.

Thanks victoria.

I heard some crazy stuff this year about them making double a 2 lane road vs a 4 lane. with a middle lane for busses only...



Who knows if it'l work.

What they need to do is get some kind of sky tram going downtown to langford with a bunch of stops along the way. That'l cut down on stuff.

Don't get me started on the hole island culture being against building a bridge to vancouver "oh no! people people will have access to the island!" damn you granola eating sandle wearing hippies..

socks and sandles... .. arg.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #46
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Gyuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 114
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
You guys are all hitting close to home with all this stuff, it's like you're reading my mind.

I was involved in another island driver nuisance this morning on my way to work; the inability of anyone to pass a police cruiser. I went the whole way from Victoria to Sidney at 10 under the limit because nobody was willing to go faster than this cop car who was happy to sit behind a large truck in the slow lane and do 10 under. IME cops aren't interested unless you're doing more than 10 over, but at LEAST do the limit in the fast lane people.. jesus.
Gyuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #47
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
oldskoolz24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Victoria
Posts: 925
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyuji View Post
You guys are all hitting close to home with all this stuff, it's like you're reading my mind.

I was involved in another island driver nuisance this morning on my way to work; the inability of anyone to pass a police cruiser. I went the whole way from Victoria to Sidney at 10 under the limit because nobody was willing to go faster than this cop car who was happy to sit behind a large truck in the slow lane and do 10 under. IME cops aren't interested unless you're doing more than 10 over, but at LEAST do the limit in the fast lane people.. jesus.
On a similar note, when it is a nice sunny day and the cops like to setup a speed trap on the straightest, safest piece of HWY 17 at the McKenzie overpass that is one issue. It doesn't really bother me because I get all my speed urges out at the track. However, when I'm in the left lane and people who are already at or below 80km/h decide to slam on their brakes and drop it down to 55-60km/h that really gets me. They should give those idiots tickets for unsafe driving/too slow for conditions. Although it is a good reminder to leave plenty of space to the car in front of you
__________________
1990 Z24 - DSP bottom feeder
1994 Golf GL - "her" car

Victoria Motor Sports Club - President
oldskoolz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #48
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Amaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,282
Thanked 600 Times in 121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolz24 View Post
On a similar note, when it is a nice sunny day and the cops like to setup a speed trap on the straightest, safest piece of HWY 17 at the McKenzie overpass that is one issue. It doesn't really bother me because I get all my speed urges out at the track. However, when I'm in the left lane and people who are already at or below 80km/h decide to slam on their brakes and drop it down to 55-60km/h that really gets me. They should give those idiots tickets for unsafe driving/too slow for conditions. Although it is a good reminder to leave plenty of space to the car in front of you
Why in the name of holy god do they set up their speed traps there? *Every* local Victorian knows that they're there at least once a week. Southbound, I happily drive 140 right up until the Vanalman exit and then slow to 90 as I approach the McKenzie exit.

Seriously, shouldn't they be setting up their speed traps in a place where accidents actually occur? How about set one up on Blenkinsop? They'd roast so many drivers, including myself, on that road doing 80+. Way more dangerous than people doing 100 on a straight, well-paved, wide open freeway.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #49
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Gyuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 114
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
Why in the name of holy god do they set up their speed traps there? *Every* local Victorian knows that they're there at least once a week.
My theory is that they camp out there periodically to develop a false sense of security in speeders so that when they pull one of their sneaky spots out they nail more people.
Gyuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #50
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Amaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,282
Thanked 600 Times in 121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyuji View Post
My theory is that they camp out there periodically to develop a false sense of security in speeders so that when they pull one of their sneaky spots out they nail more people.
That seems so absurd to me. Their goal should be to get people to slow down the flow of traffic, not hand out tickets. Hell, I've often thought that a police car parked on the side of the road with nobody in it would work.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net