REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Some cities are now implementing the "no idle" policy where it's illegal to leave your care running when stopped (like Burnaby does).

Although it doesn't say it, this would technically make remote starters illegal since the only purpose they have is to start and idle the car for period of time when the driver isn't even in the car.

This is Vancouver, I don't see the reason for a remote start. It doesn't get cold enough or hot enough to need to run your car to make it comfortable by warming/cooling the interior. In some areas I can see the use, especially in winter.
Advertisement
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

before i had my old car, there was a certain way to activate autostart.
idle without stepping on brake, pull up hand brake and turn car in off position then pull key out and car will still be running idle. when u get out and close your door, engine will shut off and gives u a beep code that autostart has activated. well thats how it was done on my car dunno about the newer autostart alarms
cecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #28
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
compustar has to have the car in "reserve mode" for autostart to work.

when u park the car, handbrake up, gear in neutral, take out key with foot not touching the brake, the car will continue to run. when u exit the car and close the door, the car will shut off and arm itself. this is "reserve mode"

had it on the prelude. used it less than a handful of times because i always park the car in gear (for fear of handbrake failure, as backup)

now that im back to an automatic, the compustar autostart is EASY. press and hold button 2... thats it!

absolute best part, i leave my headlights on as it has an auto shutoff function (thank you lexus!), so when i autostart the car, the headlights turn on, and i can actually see where i parked the car, especially if ur a tad forgetful these days like me! sucks in the day time, but great at night!

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #29
Banned By Establishment

I just start it when im in bed, and crawl into some new clothes, and hop out the door to smoke and my car's nice and toasty in the winter.

Yay carbon footprint.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #30
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Your ebrake should always be able to stop the car from rolling even on the steepest hill when it is at the strongest position.

it is also bad for your car engine and a waste of gas to leave it running idle
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #31
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
Your ebrake should always be able to stop the car from rolling even on the steepest hill when it is at the strongest position.

It's even worse to drive your car when the engine's cold and unsafe when the windows aren't clear.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #32
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:

You dont have to idle your car for 20 minutes... idle it for 2-3 minutes you're set.

brown parents, "FIVE COWS?! HAVE YOU GONE COO KOO? five cows... noo to much... two cows."

Go WINGS GO 1997,1998,2002 & 2008

#2 #5 #13 #14 #16 #19 #30 #40 #91
Philly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #33
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
in case! in CASE. its always good to have back up (like parking in gear) especially on a hill.

Quote:

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #34
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
Some cities are now implementing the "no idle" policy where it's illegal to leave your care running when stopped (like Burnaby does).

Although it doesn't say it, this would technically make remote starters illegal since the only purpose they have is to start and idle the car for period of time when the driver isn't even in the car.

This is Vancouver, I don't see the reason for a remote start. It doesn't get cold enough or hot enough to need to run your car to make it comfortable by warming/cooling the interior. In some areas I can see the use, especially in winter.
Remote start is not needed anywhere really. The idea behind it is simply convenience and comfort both in the summer and winter. Could we live without it? Of course! But as a convenience feature since a lot of us park outside all year 'round, its a very valuable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Yes, all newer cars have a clutch safety switch. The alarm bypasses it.
Actually, the alarm does not bypass it, the installer does using a relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonSo13 View Post
sometime theres no curbs. even with the wheel turned sometime the ebrake doesn't hold up....now what? i mean not a lot people just relied on the ebrake on a manual car so putting it in gear is the way. Probably wont be able to relied on the ebrake if a hill size of boundary. So why do shops not install it?
This is where common sense should be used. Even though you have a remote starter it does not mean you must always have it engaged. Safety should always be a priority over convenience. As was said, most modern vehicles should be able to support their own weight when the e-brake is applied regardless of being on a hill or not. I prefer to er on the side of caution.

Compustar's 'reservation mode' as !SG pointed out is a failsafe way to have a remote starter system safely installed into a manual car. Any other way is an unthinkable liability issue and I don't know any installers that would do this.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Funny you mention this, because one time I parked on a verryyyy slight incline after a hard drive, fully engaged the hand brake, but for whatever reason, I didn't put it in gear.

I came back about 3-4 hours later and found my car had rolled forward about 10 feet from where I orginally parked it

I know it's because the brake discs cooled, and 'shrunk' a bit, so the hand brake lost it's clamping power! Always a good idea to leave it in gear as a failsafe

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #36
Banned (ABWS)

having garage to park car in, minty. i really, really want to get a compustar alarm for my car, but i dont want to loose the "beep"...
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #37
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by E N D L E S S View Post
Funny you mention this, because one time I parked on a verryyyy slight incline after a hard drive, fully engaged the hand brake, but for whatever reason, I didn't put it in gear.

I came back about 3-4 hours later and found my car had rolled forward about 10 feet from where I orginally parked it

I know it's because the brake discs cooled, and 'shrunk' a bit, so the hand brake lost it's clamping power! Always a good idea to leave it in gear as a failsafe
i remember leaving my car, and it didn' tmove, but i came back after 30 mins, and my car was in the middle of a street... lol, thank god it was a small sidestreet.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #38
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoboy View Post
There's some safety feature for the standard vehicle. While U left your vehicle MUST be in neutral. Because while U step out your door, your engine will keep running til U close the door then the engine will shut off. Which mean make sure the vehicle is in NEUTRAL, then U can remote start next time. But if U need to left your gear to 1st. position, of course U won't able to remote start. Well, it's really depend how often U need to park your vehicle uphill or downhill?
[youtube]RKQgDY0pZ68[/youtube]
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: