REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #26
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I was hoping to be able to reach the "1 handed pushup" squad...but got smart just a bit too fast for that. The statement that, in general, altering wheel/tyre size often wil affect your speeding reason is true. Most of the guys in the jacked up pickups with the Langford Lift Kit in them, are very quick to point that out when I stopped them for speeding...and they use this in court as a defence...but the JP's don't accept it. Without knowing if the physics involved give you an identical sized wheel, it's impossible for anyone to say if the speed readings will be the same or not. A larger than stock rim with a low profile tyre, that results in an identical to stock size, should not alter the readings, unless the readings are based on rim size. Depends where and how your speedo gets the readings.
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #27
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I was hoping to be able to reach the "1 handed pushup" squad...but got smart just a bit too fast for that. The statement that, in general, altering wheel/tyre size often wil affect your speeding reason is true. Most of the guys in the jacked up pickups with the Langford Lift Kit in them, are very quick to point that out when I stopped them for speeding...and they use this in court as a defence...but the JP's don't accept it. Without knowing if the physics involved give you an identical sized wheel, it's impossible for anyone to say if the speed readings will be the same or not. A larger than stock rim with a low profile tyre, that results in an identical to stock size, should not alter the readings, unless the readings are based on rim size. Depends where and how your speedo gets the readings.
That is of course why wheel/tire selection is important... :thumbup: I would assume stretching rubber would have the same effect on speedo readings as well...

All I am saying is that as soon as I said they were sized exactly as oem (manufactured by an OEM parts manufacturer none the less) it should have been end of discussion!

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #28
RS Peace Officer

From my experience and that likely of the officer dealing with people every day...99% of whom lie to you...(not saying you did!)..I believe people after they have proven the facts...not on their word alone. Get burned too many times. I can see why possibly they did not believe you. In both those VIs I described above, both the owners swore that their vehicles were legal. The one with the air bags said he had not removed any suspension parts, the frame was stock and the air system would not operate from inside his truck. When the towtruck arrived he found a way to raise it while sitting in the cab so it would not be damaged. The biker said he had a front fender but just took it off for the ride. I pointed out that there were no fender brackets on the forks. See what I mean.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #29
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
From my experience and that likely of the officer dealing with people every day...99% of whom lie to you...(not saying you did!)..I believe people after they have proven the facts...not on their word alone. Get burned too many times. I can see why possibly they did not believe you. In both those VIs I described above, both the owners swore that their vehicles were legal. The one with the air bags said he had not removed any suspension parts, the frame was stock and the air system would not operate from inside his truck. When the towtruck arrived he found a way to raise it while sitting in the cab so it would not be damaged. The biker said he had a front fender but just took it off for the ride. I pointed out that there were no fender brackets on the forks. See what I mean.
Dumb hicks...

Lie when you can obviously get caught... geez... they need some practice!

Here's a question for you then in relation to that... If you have an air suspension system... lets say operated by a key fob or something outside the vehicle and that mechanism is not kept in the drivers compartment would that be considered in violation of the regs if pulled over and questioned etc? Not that the officer would have a reason to check if the car was at an acceptable ride height and not moving or changing while the car is in motion...

hardSLAM
Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #30
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts
HEY GUYS I PASSED THE VI! stupid question but do i have to report back to the officer or go to ICBC and give them the papers or what?
-EuroRSN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #31
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EuroRSN- View Post
HEY GUYS I PASSED THE VI! stupid question but do i have to report back to the officer or go to ICBC and give them the papers or what?
you dont have to do anything... it is entered into the system by the person who did the vi...

hardSLAM
Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #32
I don't get it

why are cops able to tell you that you need a VI, even though they cannot perform the tasks themselves? Like the cop can inconvenience you enough to make you spend money and take time away for your life because he can't get down on his hands and knees and measure for himself? I think if we are training officers well enough to to spot possible problems with the vehicle to warrent an inspection, than they should be able to perform the inspection themselves as I would imagine many people are issued VI's who are perfectly legal, as well as multiple vi's for the same legal circumstance. the cop should have all the regulations and tools on hand to perform the inspection roadside(safely). Now obviously there are circumstances that require a shop to properly inspect and in these cases I don't think the cops should be able to do anything as they have no knowledge of the actual problem, or if there even is one. I bet money if the cops had to actually learn the knowledge for themselves and actually do some physical labour, the VI would soon be extinct.

With that said, if someone's vehicle requires inspection before the police feel comfortable with its safety why do they give them 30 days to have it inspected? Should the vehicle not be taken off the road right there? by letting the car drive away is that not the police endangering the publics lives by allowing a possibly unsafe vehicle on the road? there is so much grey area and lack of logistical proceedure that I don't think the police are justified in issuing VI's.

Now I am not saying we don't need VI's, obviously there are retards out there driving junkers around town that totally unsafe. i just don't think an organization like the police should be undertaking such a task, nor should they be inconveniencing people based on technical knowledge that they themselves don't possess.
That made NO SENSE.. And it is actually SPELT not spelled. Spelled isn't even a word. You would have to be some kind of retard not to know that. Go learn some english and then come back because clearly you are either some highschool wannabe gangster who skips his english class too often or your gene pool is so f***ed up from the in-breeding that it finally screwed up the neuro processors in that lump you call a brain.
Burvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burvs View Post
With that said, if someone's vehicle requires inspection before the police feel comfortable with its safety why do they give them 30 days to have it inspected? Should the vehicle not be taken off the road right there?
That's why there are three different levels - fix it and bring it to the cop to show him it's fixed; get it fixed and inspected and certified within 30 days; and get it off the road right now and keep it off until it's fixed and inspected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 AM   #34
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burvs View Post
why are cops able to tell you that you need a VI, even though they cannot perform the tasks themselves? Like the cop can inconvenience you enough to make you spend money and take time away for your life because he can't get down on his hands and knees and measure for himself? I think if we are training officers well enough to to spot possible problems with the vehicle to warrent an inspection, than they should be able to perform the inspection themselves as I would imagine many people are issued VI's who are perfectly legal, as well as multiple vi's for the same legal circumstance. the cop should have all the regulations and tools on hand to perform the inspection roadside(safely). Now obviously there are circumstances that require a shop to properly inspect and in these cases I don't think the cops should be able to do anything as they have no knowledge of the actual problem, or if there even is one. I bet money if the cops had to actually learn the knowledge for themselves and actually do some physical labour, the VI would soon be extinct.

With that said, if someone's vehicle requires inspection before the police feel comfortable with its safety why do they give them 30 days to have it inspected? Should the vehicle not be taken off the road right there? by letting the car drive away is that not the police endangering the publics lives by allowing a possibly unsafe vehicle on the road? there is so much grey area and lack of logistical proceedure that I don't think the police are justified in issuing VI's.

Now I am not saying we don't need VI's, obviously there are retards out there driving junkers around town that totally unsafe. i just don't think an organization like the police should be undertaking such a task, nor should they be inconveniencing people based on technical knowledge that they themselves don't possess.

The last thing I want to be doing is laying under a car at roadside checking front end alignment, frame rust, tie rod wear, while the car occupants are where, doing what???? Even doing brief inspections can compromise officer safety. The MV Regs realize this and permit the Cop to either inspect it at roadside ( maybe tyre wear or burned out lights) OR send it to an auntorized inspection centre where they take an hour to properly check it over. The have the ramp, the tools, the time and the safe location. Very few Police are mechanics so don;'t you think having someone who has the proper equipment, training and location, is the best way to go? The law does.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #35
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I think that the person who gets the VI should be compensated if they pass the VI as the car was compliant. It's unfair if your car is compliant and you did nothing wrong, yet you have to pay to prove that the car is legal.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #36
RS Peace Officer

If you had a system where the vehicle was immediately impounded and taken directly to an official inspection station where a 100% legal inspection was done...then I could see there being no charge for the inspection.

In the real world...things get fixed, THEN the car is taken to the inspection...or the defective vehicle is passed in return for $$$ or 'friendship" etc. Any VI I ever gave, I saw at least 3 things at roadside that were defective. My own personal rule.

BTW..the vehicle fixed-then inspected DOES happen. I had an internal investigation and went thru 6 months of BS because of exactly that. Gave a guy a break where I should have towed his vehicle, he goes to an inspection station and pays huge money, THEN gets the guy to inspect it...guess what, it passes. He then takes the inspection report to the office and wants me fired and all his money back because there was nothing wrong with the vehicle & he produced the clean VI report. Only thing he didn't figure on...was the inspector was honest and when my boss called him in, he told exactly what had happened...and even produced the work order to show what was done. Once burned, twice shy.

Last edited by zulutango; 04-30-2009 at 01:35 PM.